Steven Motlop

John Demonic

Just now, DominatrixTyson said:

This has become the newest meme in the AFL: how bad Motlop is due to some especially poor efforts in the last month. It's confirmation bias

Take a look at his stats. Admittedly in the midfield, but still. 80 fantasy points per game is nothing to be sneazed at.

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=A&tid1=12&playerStatus2=A&tid2=10&type=A&pid1=3189&pid2=3145&fid1=O&fid2=O

These stas are widely misleading ! The Jeffy stats are taken from his Carltank days in 2014. Motlops from this year 2016.

Nup I"ll hang onto Jeffy, with his best still to come!!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, picket fence said:

These stas are widely misleading ! The Jeffy stats are taken from his Carltank days in 2014. Motlops from this year 2016.

Nup I"ll hang onto Jeffy, with his best still to come!!

However way you cut it, he's still an upgrade. Compare 2015, Garletts best year to Motlops then: 

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=A&tid1=12&playerStatus2=A&tid2=10&type=A&pid1=3189&pid2=3145&fid1=P&fopt1=2015&fid2=P&fopt2=2015

He has 1/3 more fantasy points per game.

You then take the following year and Motlop kicks 38 - Garletts 29 goals and is on the market. It's a steal.

Edited by DominatrixTyson

I'd like us to get Motlop, but he's not someone I feel we desperately need. If we make the call and he says he's interested then move forward but not for crazy money or crazy draft picks.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DominatrixTyson said:

I'd trade Garlett for Motlop + Pick swap. Our 3rd for their 4th I suppose.

Garlett doesn't seem to be weighing heavily in anyones major plans going forward and he has a reasonable amount of worth.

They'd probably want Kent though.

No. Way.

• 9 months later...

Best player for the Cats in the last two finals, why not revive the discussion? Showed some great run tonight in the mould of Daniel Wells, ie effortlessly a pace ahead of everyone and most of his disposals were very silky and leading his team mates into space. In the top 5 for distance covered per match too apparently. 

Edited by Deeprived Childhood
  • Like 6

Agree ^

Unfortunately, supporters on here seem to prefer to only remember Motlop for some of the underwhelming things he's managed over his career rather than the outstanding.

Thankfully, the list manager and coach will take a more balanced view.

Edited by stevethemanjordan

His past two weeks has reminded the footy world what he can do when 'switched on' / confident .. if he can produce that sort of footy in two red-hot finals, it's a pretty big statement.

Add to that his strengths -- pace, line-breaking, quality foot skills, nose for goal -- are exactly what we're crying out for, so I'd be staggered if we weren't seriously considering him as a FA.

The challenge for the coaching/development team, if we do get him, is to find a way to get that effort more often than not.

• Like 3

Torn on this one somewhat

The first final and majority of the season shows you the reason why you steer clear. Not to mention his very inconsistent career to date.

The last 2 finals and a stint during the year while Selwood was out show you the obvious benefits for taking a punt.

As a FA the positive is not giving anything up. I'll leave this one up to the footy department 

• Like 6

He does have that extra bit of class. It is the consistency that sometimes goes missing. If the rumours are that he is getting $500 plus , I reckon we would be mad to go too high especially when Petracca, Brayshaw, Oliver ,Salem  etc are in recontract zone soon.

The question is whether you back us in to get his consistency and work ethic right. 2 of his best 5 games this season in finals. 3 of his best 5 games this season at the MCG. His cost is about what money we give up and not picks as a FA. He at his best is exactly the outside speed and class we need. I would be amazed if we have not had serious discussions about him.  

• Like 2

Motlop goes missing!? Like Harmes and Neal-Bullen, whose spot he would take, deliver every single week!? 

Motlop has more talent in his little finger than the midfielders we currently try to cram onto half forward flanks.

I hope we are heavily into Motlop and Menzel. These guys get a game every week in a regular top 4 side. They're better than what we have and they don't cost anything other than a contract. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Watts Jurrah Dunn? said:

Motlop goes missing!? Like Harmes and Neal-Bullen, whose spot he would take, deliver every single week!? 

Motlop has more talent in his little finger than the midfielders we currently try to cram onto half forward flanks.

I hope we are heavily into Motlop and Menzel. These guys get a game every week in a regular top 4 side. They're better than what we have and they don't cost anything other than a contract. 

I wonder if they would find NOT having to play under Scott an attraction?

9 hours ago, FlashInThePan said:

Motlop is a FA. Why are we talking about trades? The question is only 'What are we prepared to pay for him'? Personally I think he would be a great addition to the team. I like the idea of seeing him and Jeffy both zipping through the forward line and doing short rotations into the midfield.

This thread was from 2016, i bumped it.

On 23 September 2017 at 1:17 PM, Watts Jurrah Dunn? said:

Deliver every single week?

Are we talking about the same Motlop who is one of the most wildly inconsistent players in the league?

His poor games are absolutely dreadful. And not uncommon.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, P-man said:

Deliver every single week?

Are we talking about the same Motlop who is one of the most wildly inconsistent players in the league?

His poor games are absolutely dreadful. And not uncommon.

I'm with you here pman. His poor games are very pedestrian like. He has more talent than half our list, but he doesn't always use it which hurts his ability to be relied upon as a star player.

He has been the Geelong supporters whipping boy for at least 2 years. Has been pretty horrible over that time too with the exception of the last 2 weeks. His QF against Richmond was deplorable.

On the one hand he has the exact attributes we lack. On the other hand he is a potential Jack Watts mk2. I'm torn but if we did go for him I wouldn't be upset. Menzel too.

• Like 1

If the rumours are true that Geelong are fed up with him and pushing him out the door then that is a fair rocket to be delivered to a player in his prime. A new environment and a coach who understands the value of a cuddle occasionally could (should?) bring the best out of him consistently.

He has exactly what we need more of: line-breaking ability and class forward of the ball. With Petracca's move to the midfield this further reduces class and x-factor in the forward line. He is also the best player of this type available this off-season (left-field trades aside) and would come at no cost. I would be extremely surprised if we aren't looking seriously at him

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Agree with everything except Petracca's move to the midfield - he currently struggles to run a game out as a forward - a true midfield tank seems a fair way off