Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Jayden Hunt's Development

Jhorse

53 minutes ago, Cranky Franky said:

Both Hunt, Wagner (and Oscar too) need to work on awareness and how to dispose of the ball when they are tackled.  ATM all 3 are pretty clueless & it seems to come as a great shock to them when their arms are pinned so they are prone to give away frees.   More time in the gym & more work on that aspect of their development & they all could become real guns.

Think we have to remember that Salem and H or Brayshaw are the the first choice flankers. So to have them both playing so well while still developing is such a plus. I just hope that we ALSO see all those three return as they all have potentially career ending issues. 

4 hours ago, Dee-licious said:

The development of Hunt makes me really excited to see what we are going to get out of Hulett (bare with me....). 

Hunt's body at 16 really didnt work for him and that stopped a player who at 15 matched it with teammates Josh Kelly and Christian Salem. He has had 5 years of injury plagued seasons where he has shown glimpses of that underage form. What we are seeing now is that 187cm, hard-hitting mid who can break away from packs with blistering speed. Now while he doesnt have the disposal of a Danger or a Parker, what he does have over them is pace, and a similar work ethic to Parker, Danger etc. He gets from contest to contest and seems to have a tank which is rare for someone of that speed. He wants to be at the contest and while I'd like him to have more possessions, the smothers, the tackles, the pressure acts are good enough for me at the moment. Does he have it in him to be a Kelly or a Salem - talent wise I dont know, his passing needs work but as we all know, he has a cannon of a boot. What is not under question is his drive to become as good as Kelly and Salem, or for that matter Danger and Parker. I dont think he will become a bonefied centre clearance mid (due to our glutton of great CC mids), but contests around the ground, I love having him there. Heath Shaw is what I'd love him to become (player, not person). But what we are seeing now is faith in a young man who had all the tools early on and the desire to be great, but his body let him down

So how does this link to Hulett, Same story as Hunt but he is a key forward. I've spoken to a heap of under age coaches about Hulett and they have all been unanimous in, if he gets his body right, you have a top talent. Someone who at 15-16 looked like he was going to be a start before injuries got the better of him. What we are seeing at Casey with Hulett at the moment is what we saw with Hunt. A desire to contest, work hard, and ensure that he makes it in the AFL. 

Nice sentiments, but a point of correction.

Dangerfield is the fastest player in the AFL.

1 hour ago, Wells 11 said:

Think we have to remember that Salem and H or Brayshaw are the the first choice flankers. So to have them both playing so well while still developing is such a plus. I just hope that we ALSO see all those three return as they all have potentially career ending issues. 

I must admit to being far more impressed with what he offers, even at this early stage, than I expected to ever be.   

When Salem recovers, and gets fully fit again, he will be competing with Hunt and Wagner for the HBF role. 

IMVHO H offers less, even right now and certainty looking forward than does Jayden and Wagner.   H just frenetically runs off HB and bombs away like a headless chook: these two at least appear to think about their disposal most of the time and have a far bigger upside for our future plans.   IF we were realistically headed for finals this year I would give H more games, maybe, but this is looking more and more unlikely.

7 hours ago, juzzk1d said:

He really backs himself well. I love the way he tucks the ball under his arm and uses his pace to break the lines. The thing he needs to improve on now I feel is to practice on releasing a handball more effectively than just to another team mate who is under the same amount of pressure, and needs to slow down on those last 4-5 steps and focus more on hitting a target and lowering his eyes (like Saad).

He needs 2 b more composed. Hope his awareness improves

It is quite rare to have a player with such line breaking speed and evasion who also has decent height and potential to build an engine. Also the more he is playing at this level the better he is getting at finding the ball and balancing defensive and offensive actions. Has the tools to be anything in 2-3 years.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, demonoid said:

I could be going mad but could have sworn I saw a tweet from the club late Sunday saying that hunt had re signed till the end of 2018. Tweet no longer there. Did anyone else see this?

No we saw it about a 1 month ago when he re signed and it was splash all over the MFC website lol.

On 6/14/2016 at 10:52 AM, TRIGON said:

Looks like Jane, plays like Tarzan.

Yes, does look more like mum Jane than dad Alan.

• Like 1

Time, we are giving young kids time to develop.  This is something we completely failed at from a long period, we continued to rush kids that weren't ready.  The old line of we just need to get games into our kids is true but it doesn't need to be at AFL level.  We have a crop of kids that have been developed in the VFL, Harmes, Stretch, Hunt add ANB and we aren't afraid to send kids back to learn.  A few years back Oliver would have never been dropped back and Weiderman would have already played.

The only kid that I see as in the deep end is O McDonald which is a bit of an whack at Garland and Dunn, they should be holding down that third tall defender role, wouldn't mind if Pederson was given a run at that role as well

Hunt backs himself on the ground and in the air, he seems to be fearless and has great pace. He needs to slow down when kicking but that will come in time. I watched the screen after he kicked the goal and he did slow down a bit but he was still travelling at great pace.

If anyone remembers that tackle in the game they will remember a perfectly executed tackle that some of the more senior players could well have a look at.

If he gets the right development he will be a star of the game.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, drdrake said:

Time, we are giving young kids time to develop.  This is something we completely failed at from a long period, we continued to rush kids that weren't ready.  The old line of we just need to get games into our kids is true but it doesn't need to be at AFL level.  We have a crop of kids that have been developed in the VFL, Harmes, Stretch, Hunt add ANB and we aren't afraid to send kids back to learn.  A few years back Oliver would have never been dropped back and Weiderman would have already played.

The only kid that I see as in the deep end is O McDonald which is a bit of an whack at Garland and Dunn, they should be holding down that third tall defender role, wouldn't mind if Pederson was given a run at that role as well

I hope Mitch White is in this bracket too. He has been solid all year at Casey and the one game he played at the end of 2015 was very impressive. Also a quality user of the ball, which we desperately need, especially at half back. Hope to see him at some stage this season.

The first game I saw Hunt play was vs Hawks, maybe his 3rd or 4th game.  Even tho he copped much criticism on D'land I posted that he had a terrific game: not many possessions (as if they count anyway) but he threw himself at everything, attacked the ball and played ferociously.  It was a wet deck so he didn't get much chance to show his speed. 

Its good to see he is building on that super game and is now getting much deserved credit.

What I now notice is that his play which is quite exciting, is inspiring other players and they are moving to positions for him when he is on the run. 

At his rate he has to get a Rising Star nomination soon.  He already deserves one but no-one has noticed him until the last week or two.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero

On 6/14/2016 at 11:31 AM, mo64 said:

The only knock I have on him at this stage is that he needs to utilise his run to get involved when we've got the ball, and make himself available for an outlet kick. Also think that Nev Jetta needs to do the same. Would love to see Hunt develop into someone like Rory Laird.

Totally different players. Hunt will never be like Laird.

On 6/14/2016 at 0:06 PM, Cranky Franky said:

Both Hunt, Wagner (and Oscar too) need to work on awareness and how to dispose of the ball when they are tackled.  ATM all 3 are pretty clueless & it seems to come as a great shock to them when their arms are pinned so they are prone to give away frees.   More time in the gym & more work on that aspect of their development & they all could become real guns.

That's not Hunt. 

In the last minute (or couple of minutes) on Sunday's game,  when the game was over,  he had a brilliant bit of play where it was him vs two Crows, he tackled one then smothered the ball that the free crow collected and it just went to show that he brings desperation for the whole game. He has an incredible attitude to go along with that pace. Going to be a fan favourite young Hunto! 

• Like 6

My favourite thing about him is that he uses his pace defensively. He made up probably 20 metres to take that intercept mark which let to Kennedy's goal. So many quick players only use their pace offensively, so it is great to see someone that will use it going both ways.

• Like 5

He's a favorite of mine already. I thought that he and Wagner shouldn't have been picked at the start of the year as they were both hopeless in the NAB matches. Hunt has proven he has all the assets to be a line breaking player for us long term. Still not sold on Wagner, but Hunt is a ripper. Love that he runs hard both ways and brings the intensity defensively with his tackles. He still struggles at the centre bounces, as he generally pushes up to be at the contest but never seems to get to the right spot and winds up leaving his man free in the defensive 50.  He still has a lot to work on but gee he's exciting!

• Like 2

I'll admit, I was one of the nay-sayers who was sceptical of Hunt at the end of last season. He was injured, couldn't piece together a solid block of football and just seemed like he wasn't going anywhere. Today, I couldn't be happier to be proven wrong. He has completely changed the look of the team with his blistering pace and decision making. Never before have I seen one player turn an average one paced team into one that all of a sudden has a bit of pace and flair.

Absolutely no words...

• Like 6

On 14 June 2016 at 2:44 PM, ProDee said:

Nice sentiments, but a point of correction.

Dangerfield is the fastest player in the AFL.

Not as quick as Hunt .