POST GAME DISCUSSION

3 hours ago, Pipefitter said:

Delete that bombers game and it's a cracker start to the season.

I'm thinking that maybe we needed that loss against Essendon...that's probably provided the team with its new found focus and intensity.

• Like 6

34 minutes ago, mrtwister said:

Just watched the game and I have a question for those that were there.

At the end of the 4th quarter, Adams exaggerated a push from Harmes and ran himself into the fence. After the ball came back in, the wide angled shot showed Adams moving towards Harmes about 15-20 metres away from the ball. The TV coverage then zooms in for a little while, then when it zooms back out, Harmes is lying on the ground with trainers running towards him.

Anybody see what happened?

I was there but only noticed Harmes on the ground after the stoppage. Lots of boos coming from the MCC though so its got cheap shot all over it. Pendles got Bugg at the same stoppage with a late hit from behind and i noticed Jonesey having heated words with Pendles, wonder if he got Harmes as well?.

Just Googled Collingwood jokes and discovered that Demonland has an ancient forum dedicated to the topic although many are, I must regrettably say, unsavoury and close to reprehensible and not at all politically correct.

Accordingly I urge all readers to avoid revisiting that page 

1 minute ago, Crompton's the man said:

Just Googled Collingwood jokes and discovered that Demonland has an ancient forum dedicated to the topic although many are, I must regrettably say, unsavoury and close to reprehensible and not at all politically correct.

Accordingly I urge all readers to avoid revisiting that page 

How do you know you're a Collingwood Supporter?

- You keep telling your 12 year old not to smoke while she's breastfeeding, but she just won't listen. 

• Like 4

2nd quarter observations :

- I used to think Hogan belongs in the square.  This is a crime against all things that are good.  Let him roam,  set him free. 

- Watts is showing form like his under-age highlights packages.  His movement and skill is silk. 

- Wagner,  wow.  As solid as you could hope for from a second gamer.  Composed.  

- N Jones doesn't stand out like he used to. This is a comment on everyone around him becoming better- not a slight on Nathan. 

- The other Jones isn't [censored] any more. 

- Gawn is a footballer.  Can ruck,  can kick,  can handball. 

- Pederson is handy. 

- Oliver rarely sighted,  is he out there? When he has it he always does the right thing and hits targets.  Salem and Brayshaw quiet. 

- I love Viney. 

- Harmes has Vince like intensity. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Pipefitter said:

Delete that bombers game and it's a cracker start to the season.

My thoughts  exactly. 7 matches for 5 wins and two losses.And what a great losing effort against North who are a seriously good unit.The Essendon game was our only black mark. The beauty of it is that our kids are starring so early in their careers. The future looks fantastic. Also, we are kicking good scores this season. Good old attacking footy.

2 hours ago, Demonland said:

If Jetta could switch on some time before half time, the whole unit would be so much better.  His position and role must be under threat from Grimes next week following a good game at Casey.

GTFO

• Like 18

I have watched the replay, viewed the post match videos, had beer and wine and read every post on this thread. I can confidently say we are on our way.

If I wasn't technically challenged there would be the Sunnyboys singing "I'm a happy man"

.                                                          In this bit here

• Like 1

3rd quarter observations :

-Howe's  a spud. 

- Collingwood supporters are scum

- Our backline is so much better without Garland.  The future looks bright with Wagner/Hunt. 

- We don't drop our heads when challenged 

- You'd need a wrecking ball to knock over Kennedy. 

- Jetta Mr Reliable as always. 

- I love Viney 

- Replays are always good when you already know the outcome 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, AdamFarr said:

Quietish, but worked really hard. Laid 8 tackles and makes such good decisions. Love the boy.

He (Oliver) seemed to be on the bench most of the first quarter so maybe were saving him for later in the game? He definitely set up at least one goal out of the middle with his vision, strength to stand up in the tackle and repeat effort.

10 hours ago, picket fence said:

Look I must admit I really wondered about his inclusion several weeks ago but today I thought he was very very good, Could be a Josh Gibson type! 

Well done young man! Happy to admit an error of early judgement!^_^

The error of early judgement or the error of early judgement? 

Watched the game from near the fence

So pleased i didnt have to watch the bone laziness and lack of defence form Howe wearing red and blue

Cannot believe Collingwood wanted this serial underperformer,he hasnt changed one bit

Some times life is sweet and the beers in the bullring always taste better after a big win.

Gawn was absolutely magnificent!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Nasher said:

It wasn't that long ago that one Max Gawn was in and out of the side, lacked confidence and had butter sticks for fingers.  Last year a switch finally flicked during the Geelong game and he's clunked them ever since.  

I sincerely believe that Frost's hands will get stickier, and his kicks will get straighter as his confidence improves.  There was already a notable improvement between the first half and the second half today.  He's got all the required attributes, he just hasn't been able to stitch it all together yet - purely due to confidence I think. 

One thing from the after matches out of the players was the word "belief". If they can get the belief and confidence up we can play some wonderful footy.

Another thing I recall from earlier on the season, I think from Roos, was "we want the players to be bold." Today they made some really bold decisions, kicking back into a congested corridor or playing on in traffic but linking handball chains. When it comes off it can lead to wins when it doesn't (one example is Tommy Mac kick across half back agains the Dons) it will lead to turn over goals and losses.

• Like 1

No body has mentioned Frosts goal off the interchange i will watch the replay tonight

The pies supporters around me were dumbstruck Fantastic opportunistic play.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, fndee said:

Yes, there is bit of a 1987 feel about it

Crickey let's not get ahead of ourselves, the rnd 1 and 2 games are barely in our rear view mirror. Would like to see us win 2 in a row against teams we should beat. This week another massive test for the leadership of our team.

• Like 4

AN_Inkling 
transdot.gif

transdot.gif

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:53 pm  
Post subject: Reply with quote

Pies4shaw wrote:
"Look, Melbourne is a very good football team."

They sure are. If they can keep up their current form they will go very close to making finals.

Most enjoyable game since ... since ... christ, can anyone remember back that far?

Pies turned it into a close in slogging game. Which they were always going to do. It was the only way they were going to able to win it. They wanted us to play hesitant cautious footy like against Essendon. But all they did was stop our free scoring. They couldn't score themselves.

Their plan had some merit. When they forced turnovers they did move the ball well but broke down inside 50.  Basically they weren't good enough to overcome the mighty Demons!

They are still playing last's years rugby maul style. Footy is different now.

We won it with our early burst of champagne footy. Slick movement, good skills and looking very dangerous.

We then saved the win by resisting their renewed effort toward the end of the 2nd quarter and in the 3rd quarter.

Great that we held our composure and weathered the storm.

It brought back long ago feelings of watching football ... laying dormant and nearly extinguished ... Seeing your team forge a lead with good play. Waiting for the oppo to fight back but holding them off. Knowing, not hoping but knowing, you are going to hold them off and win.

It now feels like following a football club. a real football-playing football club.

Frost and Hunt showed something. Fantastic that the club has the nuts to play raw talent in crunch games for us. Backing them in and they're responding.

I know it's been bubbling under for a while but suddenly it feels like we're choking with talent.

Petracca might not be good enough to make our best 22.

(only joking all you TRACC lovers)

I was sitting right above the C’wood race and Eddie walked off with the players. He wasn't red faced or anything. Not doing his nut over dropping a game to an "inferior" team.  Just flat and resigned. He knows.

Life is good. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

• Like 4

Had fun reading PRE and Nick's Footy, the pies all reckon we were better playing good footy, and the tiges are sure the're going to lose. Watching the replay in Roma (sadly knowing the result) and I have this to say. 

1. I thought the pies must have played badly, they didn't, they brought pressure, we brought more.

2. The umping boo boos were fairly even.

3. Finally saw why they stuck with Frost et al, looks like the coaching staff know something about football.  

4. H had a great game, was in the best.

5. Harmes is a player, I had no idea, reminds me a little of Whelan (not quite the wrecker yet) or a Peter Walsh.

6. We are on for more than 10 wins this year.   

8 hours ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

Just sat down to watch the second half for the first time.

Looking at the stats Bugg had a good game, 29 touches, 12 tackles and 121 DT points (third highest, Pendlebury second with 122).

Didn't notice too much of Bugg in the first half, either I missed his first half or he stepped up in the second half. 

There were a few times in the second half where Bugg seemed a bit lazy. he'd shoot off a handpass and let a Collingwood player run past him with no shepherd allowing pressure to be put on his team mate. he had a solid effort but just a few things made me think he's the one to step out for Bernie next week.

Edited by Brownie
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Brownie said:

There were a few times in the second half where Bugg seemed a bit lazy. he'd shoot off a handpass and let a Collingwood player run past him with no shepherd allowing pressure to be put on his team mate. he had a solid effort but just a few things made me think he's the one to step out for Bernie next week.

Can't agree re Bugg. Had a ton of tackles and is tough as old boots. Agree it will be tough finding someone to make way.

i reckon young clayton looked tired today and ineffectual. Great kid but could do with a spell - it's a long season for a first year player. 

Well I did not expect that !

What a shite of a game to miss watching or listening to..  I am EXTREMELY jealous,

How long has it been since we kicked the first goal in a match,  usually let them kick 3 then start !

What a pleasure to see Watts and Hogan play well, the future will be brighter,

How long has it been since we have had class players to come into a good winning side

Bernie V, Petracca, Garlett, Trengove maybe,   even Dawes and Grimes

each has a role for some games,  horses for courses,  and individual match ups

Hells Bells if we had taken the Bummers seriously we could be in Norths position,  that is way ahead of ourselves,

Are we the footescray of 2016,  albeit a couple of years behind in development,

Blimey I hope the Melbourne of yesterday turn up to play next weekend,  the belief should be there, I think I have it,

To wins in a row then we go to the sainters  Fantastic to think about  the sainters are not half bad either,

What a fantastic start to the season Good on ya Roosey and Goodwin, and the whole FD 

you know a hell of a lot more about footy than I do   

Go DEES   give em HELL !!!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Deestroy All said:

GTFO

Crazy comment wasn't it. I thought it was one of the better games he played for us. Very solid contribution to a good team game. 

A similar comment was made in another thread re Frost. I also thought Frost was very good, by far his best game to date.

8 hours ago, hardtack said:

I'm thinking that maybe we needed that loss against Essendon...that's probably provided the team with its new found focus and intensity.

The last 10 years of losses wasn't quite enough?

• Like 3