Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POST GAME DISCUSSION

PS: we all know the Essendon game was unacceptably bad on all fronts, but when you see what GWS has done since playing us (beat Geelong, ran Sydney for 3 quarters, thrashed Port) and you notice North is the only undefeated side in the comp (having beaten Adelaide, too), you have to be pleased with going 2-1 in the three non-Essendon games so far.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, AdamFarr said:

Fair enough. I disagree about the forwardline not suiting Brayshaw though. I think he's so dangerous. He's clever and has elite disposal. He created so many chances today and looks reasonably dangerous one out. But the beauty of Clarry is he allows Brayshaw to play full time in the forward line and develop further.

Roos and co really have turned this club around. We are allowing blokes like Petracca to work up a head of steam in the VFL; ANB getting 30 odd every week and still can't get a game; and midfield talents like Brayshaw now have the luxury of playing whole games forward and developing. It's terrific. Isn't two weeks a long time in footy? :P

And yeah, I'd give Hunt another run next week.

Didn't see the game and haven't seen the replay yet (am just getting vicarious jollies from trawling through this thread atm) but my best impressions of AB's short career so far have been him loping through the corridor and raking it into the 50 (usually to Jeffy). Do we want/need him in the forwards? He's a back-of-the-square-to-forward-of-the-square link for mine. Clarry ('Jordie'?) is a get it in the contest / rip it out of the contest type for me.

Our backline played the best I've seen this year and probably the difference between the teams.

Wagner! Sorry for skyting but I pumped his tyres here after the Kangas game and today he just continued with that except 20 + times instead of 6

Frost! I stand corrected, I didn't rate you. So good after half time.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

PS: we all know the Essendon game was unacceptably bad on all fronts, but when you see what GWS has done since playing us (beat Geelong, ran Sydney for 3 quarters, thrashed Port) and you notice North is the only undefeated side in the comp (having beaten Adelaide, too), you have to be pleased with going 2-1 in the three non-Essendon games so far.

but just think how close we could have been to 4-0

• Like 2

After quarter time we made a tonne of mistakes mainly due to over-possessing, where those one or two extra handballs were intercepted or astray, but the intensity never dropped.

A lot to work on but the foundations are there.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Demonland said:

The Cup Runneth Over .... by George on the Outer

All of a sudden the Demons are blessed with a bounty of riches! 

Despite the heartache of a last gasp loss to North last week, they have bounced back in an emphatic fashion to completely obliterate Collingwood, and send them spiraling toward the bottom of the ladder.

Much rested upon this match for the Demons, another loss would have put them in a similar position to the Pies, with both sides having just scraped over the line for their solitary win to date.

But that was not to be and a first quarter blitz of 6 goals to a solitary major from Collingwood, almost had the match sewn up at the first change. Another 5 straight in the second quarter should have sealed the game but a series of awful turnovers saw 5 of Collingwoods 6 goals come directly from Melbourne errors. 

The accuracy of the Melbourne forwards put plenty of breathing space between the two sides, with Jack Watts contributing 4 up to the major break, including 2 pearlersfrom on the boundary line.  

Even though Collingwood were pressing, it was these clutch goals that just kept on putting them “back in their box”.  Fortunately, they also provided some classic howlers in their backline to give easy goals to Viney and Kent.

The second half became much of a  slog with really no change to the quarter time margin, but again for the Melbourne supporters, it was comforting to see players still putting in for the whole game.  No more head-dropping as we are now seeing a new confidence building among the playing group.  

Collingwood seem to have long passed their Premiership window and are quickly heading for a long time in oblivion.  Without Swan and an injured Pendelbury they lack any real ball getting ability.  Now with Cloke injured and mostly disinterested, they don’t have too many other options up forward either.  A truly delightful situation!

Contrast that with the situation the Demons now find themselves in.  Despite some misgivings, the coaching staff introduced two new additions to the side in Wagner and Hunt, from the side that just went down last week.  And they held their spots admirably, Josh Wagner in particular with 24 possessions on the backline. 

And the backline is looking much more solid with each of the defenders working as a team to nullify the oppositionschances.  With Dunn back on the goal line we just look so much more stable.  It gives TM the opportunity to take those critical marks and spoils in front, and Dunns kicking gives more options to exit the defensive zone.  If Jetta could switch on some time before half time, the whole unit would be so much better.  His position and role must be under threat from Grimes next week following a good game at Casey.

And after a solid win like this one, it is such a contrast with the situation we faced last year and the year before and….

The boom recruit in Petracca is mounting a solid case for a senior spot.  Jack Trengove is doing likewise.  We probably have Garlett and  Vandenberg  available for next week.  Vince returns from suspension.  Then we have Grimes, and Michienamed among the best at Casey.  

Our cup filled up during this game.  Confidence is building and the competition for places is getting seriously hot.  

If this translates into the ruthless game style that we saw during the first quarter of this match, then Richmond are facing another miserable result next week, to top off the shellacking they copped against the Eagles.

That would really make the cup runneth over……

COLLINGWOOD        1.2       6.5       8.10    9.13 (67) 
MELBOURNE             6.2       11.2    14.4    16.6 (102)

GOALS
Collingwood: Cloke 2, Sidebottom 2, VarcoeTreloar, Sinclair, Fasolo, Moore
Melbourne: Watts 4, Tyson 2, Pedersen 2, Hogan 2, Viney, Frost, Kennedy, Brayshaw, Kent, Gawn

BEST
Collingwood: PendleburyTreloar, Sidebottom, Adams, Langdon
Melbourne: GawnViney, Watts, Wagner, Tyson, Jones, Bugg

INJURIES
Collingwood: Goldsack (illness) replaced in selected side by White, Reid (knee), Sinclair (concussion), Cloke (elbow)
Melbourne: Brayshaw (concussion)

Reports: Nil 

Umpires: O'Gorman, Meredith, Ryan

Official crowd: 47,558 at the MCG

Not sure if I agree with this. I thought Jetta was very good. And we've seen what Grimes offers at AFL level. He's not good enough.

26 minutes ago, Undeeterred said:

I said Essendon was maybe the loss we had to have, and I still reckon I'm right. I don't think we would have seen the effort of the last two weeks without it.

I think they got a real fright after that game, and it forced a few to pull the finger out and get to work.

The best thing is that the coaching department obviously have just kept the faith, are picking the right team, and it's working out.

Interestingly, I also suggested it might be too.

16 minutes ago, Timothy Reddan-A'Blew said:

Didn't see the game and haven't seen the replay yet (am just getting vicarious jollies from trawling through this thread atm) but my best impressions of AB's short career so far have been him loping through the corridor and raking it into the 50 (usually to Jeffy). Do we want/need him in the forwards? He's a back-of-the-square-to-forward-of-the-square link for mine. Clarry ('Jordie'?) is a get it in the contest / rip it out of the contest type for me.

That's the picture I have of Gussy too, but that's because we didn't have Oliver. Playing him forward allows him to play across the forward arc and he's just so damaging. He only needs to get it 15 times to have created 5 goals. Imagine what will happen we he can get 25+.

16 minutes ago, xiss said:

Our backline played the best I've seen this year and probably the difference between the teams.

Agreed. Great synergy back there today. Very exciting.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Demonland said:

The Cup Runneth Over .... by George on the Outer

...And the backline is looking much more solid with each of the defenders working as a team to nullify the oppositionschances.  With Dunn back on the goal line we just look so much more stable.  It gives TM the opportunity to take those critical marks and spoils in front, and Dunns kicking gives more options to exit the defensive zone.  If Jetta could switch on some time before half time, the whole unit would be so much better.  His position and role must be under threat from Grimes next week following a good game at Casey.

Well, that's a departure from the accepted DL wisdom re JG! Love them both and wish we could pick 30 each week!

• Like 1

What's better than beating Collingwood, I know beating them twice in the one afternoon. Dees and Scorpions both beat Collingwood and Scorpions on top of VFL ladder with 300%.

Dees win today was better than the stats show. The number of scoring shots makes it look like Collingwood were just inaccurate as Hodge, Matthews would have you believe. However in the Dees scoring shots there were no rushed behinds, but of Collingwood's 13 points 5 were rushed and 1 touched.

15 of the 22 today have played less than 55 games and the Pies had 8 players under 55 games.

Hawks had 7 with 55 games or less, Bulldogs had 11 with 55 games or less, Kangaroos had 3 with 55 games or less.

• Like 6

Just a few notes on the newcomers or relative newcomers* (including players who are playing their 2nd year at the club)

• Wagner  ... was first rate and played like a veteran
  • Harmes ... scraps hard and puts his head over the ball - a real competitor
  • Bugg ... was prolific and played a terrific team game
  • Hunt ... for his first game, I thought he was excellent
  • Frost ... his pace is a real asset and could develop into an X factor type player
  • Brayshaw ... like Harmes, he fights hard whenever the ball in his vicinity ... 2nd & 3rd efforts a feature with this hardnut.
  • Kennedy ... a real surprise, has a bit of class and uses the ball well.
  • Oliver ... continues to impress and is a bull. Is obviously going to be a good footballer.
  • Hogan ... outstanding footballer who played very well when the heat was on (the first half) Technically, it's his 3rd year as a senior player but he didn't play in his first year because of injury.

To have all of the above 9 players play a major part in today's victory is quite outstanding ... others who didn't play today who fall into the above category include vandenBerg, Petracca, Stretch, ANB, O-Mac and (next year) Melksham.  

And that's not including Weideman & Hulett.  Even Trengove could be categorised as a 'new' player.  And Gawn has only played 43 games - how good is he going to be once he's played a 100 games? - same story for the aforementioned above.

And, we're being properly coached with an excellent development team ... the future is bright.  The current list bears no real resemblance to the list that Roos took over.

*Haven't included Lumumba or Garlett because they are seen as a seasoned veterans.

• Like 2

Just watched the game and I have a question for those that were there.

At the end of the 4th quarter, Adams exaggerated a push from Harmes and ran himself into the fence. After the ball came back in, the wide angled shot showed Adams moving towards Harmes about 15-20 metres away from the ball. The TV coverage then zooms in for a little while, then when it zooms back out, Harmes is lying on the ground with trainers running towards him.

Anybody see what happened?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mrtwister said:

Just watched the game and I have a question for those that were there.

At the end of the 4th quarter, Adams exaggerated a push from Harmes and ran himself into the fence. After the ball came back in, the wide angled shot showed Adams moving towards Harmes about 15-20 metres away from the ball. The TV coverage then zooms in for a little while, then when it zooms back out, Harmes is lying on the ground with trainers running towards him.

Anybody see what happened?

Came to ask the same thing. 

Pretty sure it would've been a cheap behind the play punch in the guts. Not sure how Ch 7 missed it. 

10 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Came to ask the same thing. 

Pretty sure it would've been a cheap behind the play punch in the guts. Not sure how Ch 7 missed it.

I just watched the replay and missed that myself, so maybe that's how? ;)

Watching the Watts on ground interview after the match and he mentions H speaking to him about the 2010 Premiership and about belief (which you can very much picture Lumumba doing) and then there is the shot of the Melbourne players walking off the ground and their are a lot of hugs and back slaps for H. Perhaps he could be one of those players whose worth is valued way more than what they just produce on the field.

I am becoming a big fan of his

• Like 16

Just now, AdamFarr said:

I just watched the replay and missed that myself, so maybe that's how? ;)

They usually have about 7 commentators, plenty of camera guys and no doubt a van full of producers, a player just involved in a push and shove is down behind play and not one of them thinks to ask why? Will be one for the MRP to no doubt miss as well.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

They usually have about 7 commentators, plenty of camera guys and no doubt a van full of producers, a player just involved in a push and shove is down behind play and not one of them thinks to ask why? Will be one for the MRP to no doubt miss as well.

Yep, fair enough.

I really think Dean Kent is very underrated in terms of the pressure he puts on, he averages i think 2 goals a game himself but creates at least another 2 just with his pressure and chases and so on, 

very similar to what Jeff Garlett brings to the table

• Like 1

Few observations from 1st quarter 

- Bugg and Kennedy are greatpick ups. Bugg is a pest and Kennedy is an aggressive little barstard. 

- Frost and Tyson are just short of being really handy players. Tyson just needs to polish up his disposal a bit and he's elite. 

- We are an elite handballing team.  Has Oliver been giving lessons at training? 

- We are playing as a team,  cohesively,  we know each other now. 

- Hunt and Wagner mean no more Grimes and/or Garland in the same team again 

- I love Viney 

-Lumumbas alright 

Just sat down to watch the second half for the first time.

Looking at the stats Bugg had a good game, 29 touches, 12 tackles and 121 DT points (third highest, Pendlebury second with 122).

Didn't notice too much of Bugg in the first half, either I missed his first half or he stepped up in the second half. 

Posted on Facebook by a demon supporting mate of mine who was at the game today:

"think it was Sidebottom at one point lost his shoe at the end of the first half, didn't worry about putting it back on till the siren sounded. Watched Ben Kennedy (former Magpie) pick it up and walk it over to Sidebottom and went to hand it over, Sidebottom reached for it and as he did Kennedy hurled it over his shoulder and kept walking. HAHAHA. Nice Work."

GO DEES!

• Like 19

One of the really positive things that really stood out for me, and it's a strange positive but still, 6 of the pies goals, which is most of them, were caused by our turn overs, even when they got on top in the middle a bit, they really didn't look like scoring a whole lot, our defense is extremely good and doesn't rely on individual brilliance, when we tidy up our disposal and cut the errors back i am extremely confident we'll be one of if not the best defensive team in the comp. 

I had a chat with Cam Ling a few months back and i mentioned i was a Dees supporter and he said to be really patient with us this year, very similar to what Bomber and Macca did at Geelong they got the contest and defense right and then worked on the aggressive transition, he said geting that right means at times it'll be extremely exciting and at times extremely frustrating, and the ball movement is really the biggest and last domino that needs to fall for a side to really climb the ladder fast. I think that sums up where we're at to me, we beat the Giants, Should have beaten the drug cheats, maybe got ahead of ourselves, should have beaten North, by our own admission silly mistakes cost us that game, and should have beaten the pies by a lot more, we have some lapses which are frustrating but you can finally see a little glimpse of the end product imo.

One of the big positives for me today was who wasn't playing for us, Vince has picked up 8 of a possible 9 brownlow votes in his last three games vs the Pies, that's a huge out, right as he was hitting form and Jeffy is as important as anyone in our front half.

we seem to have stopped relying on Hogan as much since he's moved up the ground and the last two weeks our delivery inside 50 has been so much better!

• Like 9