POST MATCH DISCUSSION

Demonland

I was in Perth so only got to watch game on TV, but from what I could see, Bernie was only used at half back when Salem or Jetta or Wagner needed a rest/rotation. The rest of the time he seemed part of the midfield rotation. Can someone who was at the ground confirm if I am right in saying that?  

It's a moot point isn't it? I fully suspect Goodwin will continue in his hands on role and influence over the playing group and game style this season. Roos will remain senior coach and sit in the main chair on game day but it's a collaborative effort. I don't see the big deal.

I did enjoy T Mac in the post match shutting down King's insinuation that he must be "loving being reprogrammed", trying again to suggest that Goodwin is releasing the Roos shackles. When Tommy doesn't agree with something, he certainly lets the interviewer know.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Baghdad Bob said:

Then I suggest you listen to your tinea.  It must be difficult being so much smarter than everyone else.

I think the point King made re Goodwin and Roos is one of the more interesting issues facing the club in the immediate future. He knows Goodwin is taking over - der - he was asking when is the right time.

It's been well documented that Goodwin has driven preseason and Roos has taken a more back seat role.  Goodwin has also been given the senior coaching duties during the preseason cup and the performance of the team has exceeded external expectations.

The old saying of "don't fix it if it ain't broke" could be good advice for us now but the management of this is difficult.  Roos has been undeniably fantastic for this club IMO.  I've mates that question his motives but the results speak for themselves.  Our footy club looks like one now thanks mainly to Jackson but also significantly to Roos.  But what is clear over the Roos journey is his ego is evident and his image important to him.  He's made some terrible public utterances such as "sometimes the players just don't listen" and on 360 he was saved by Buckley on several occasions when the heat went on him personally.

I think the best thing for this club now is for Roos to hand over the senior coaching role to Goodwin- if not in name then in practice.  It will allow a consistent message and delivery to the players for the rest of the season and what is clear is the players are getting that message. But I also thing Roos ego won't allow that.  I think we'll see Roos as the senior coach in the box on game day and we'll see him address the player at game breaks.

But what a wonderful thing it would be if Roos said words to the effect that Goodwin has progressed much faster than could be anticipated and he thought it best he should remain in control of the playing group allowing Roos to concentrate on broader issues within the club. 

I've raised these question all through the off season but IMO this is Goodwin's team now.  He'll make selection decisions, game plan decisions and at season end list management decisions.  Let's hope Roos lets this natural progression continue and ego doesn't get in the way. If he could he'd stamp himself as a true leader.

disagree

Goodwin has been in the box for 3 practice games. He is not the one who should be getting the credit for the progress we have made. It is Roos. Another year of Roos is another year of improvement. My concern is what it has been from day 1 - which is that we will be losing his services at the end of the year.

• Like 6

14 hours ago, america de cali said:

Actually I am pleased the likes of Dunstall and Healy are selling us short. I still have nightmares over the effusive drooling by the media of our prospects circa 2009/10.

Healy normally [censored] all over us, but watching the replay last night, he was actually very complimentary at every possible opportunity. He actually sounded quite biased yesterday.

7 hours ago, Baghdad Bob said:

Then I suggest you listen to your tinea.  It must be difficult being so much smarter than everyone else.

I think the point King made re Goodwin and Roos is one of the more interesting issues facing the club in the immediate future. He knows Goodwin is taking over - der - he was asking when is the right time.

It's been well documented that Goodwin has driven preseason and Roos has taken a more back seat role.  Goodwin has also been given the senior coaching duties during the preseason cup and the performance of the team has exceeded external expectations.

The old saying of "don't fix it if it ain't broke" could be good advice for us now but the management of this is difficult.  Roos has been undeniably fantastic for this club IMO.  I've mates that question his motives but the results speak for themselves.  Our footy club looks like one now thanks mainly to Jackson but also significantly to Roos.  But what is clear over the Roos journey is his ego is evident and his image important to him.  He's made some terrible public utterances such as "sometimes the players just don't listen" and on 360 he was saved by Buckley on several occasions when the heat went on him personally.

I think the best thing for this club now is for Roos to hand over the senior coaching role to Goodwin- if not in name then in practice.  It will allow a consistent message and delivery to the players for the rest of the season and what is clear is the players are getting that message. But I also thing Roos ego won't allow that.  I think we'll see Roos as the senior coach in the box on game day and we'll see him address the player at game breaks.

But what a wonderful thing it would be if Roos said words to the effect that Goodwin has progressed much faster than could be anticipated and he thought it best he should remain in control of the playing group allowing Roos to concentrate on broader issues within the club. 

I've raised these question all through the off season but IMO this is Goodwin's team now.  He'll make selection decisions, game plan decisions and at season end list management decisions.  Let's hope Roos lets this natural progression continue and ego doesn't get in the way. If he could he'd stamp himself as a true leader.

I think Roos will do exactly what he did with Longmire in his final year. He'll coach from the bench and Goodwin will be in the box. This has played out during the NAB games obviously, but this will continue. In fact, Roos has said as much, hasn't he?

I'm sure this is the plan anyway. There's no doubt Roos has a large ego, but it seems to me that the plan was always to back up Goodwin this year (hence the original will he or won't he coach a third year).

Edited by AdamFarr
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Baghdad Bob said:

You change things because things change.  A decision made 2 years ago should not be adhered to if a better alternative arises. The players won't be concerned by the change and they may in fact like it.  Rather than showing the club is not strong enough to follow through its planning it would show we can be agile and respond to situations.

If you really think that Jackson and Mahoney will let David King "dictate how and when we transition head coach" you're a very poor judge of situations.

King raised the question.  It's one I've had for some time and it's one I'll continue to ponder. I'm not sure he even offered a position on this question.

You have a talent for time wasting.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Ted Fidge said:

Great to see a very steady preseason with no blowouts, no real lapses, and plenty of players giving the selectors a round one headache.

Watts! He was more Riewoldt than Riewoldt. That was the most complete game he's played for us. Showed his class ... and grunt! He had the look, all day, of being the glue that held the side together. A taller Hodge?

Harmes has gone from being a raw young bloke who doesn't yet belong to being a young bloke who belongs in AFL.

Oliver is ready made.

Kent whether down back or up front looks so solid and reliable.

I don't get the knocks on Wagner or Oscar. They are inexperienced players who need experience. Given there's no home and away yet, where better than in a NAB cup game against real opposition?

Many of our regular suspects (Jones, Viney, Vince) were quiet but we didn't suffer for it. That is a very good sign.

Hoges' hands went on a wildcat strike ... he was double teamed at every opportunity but our forward line looked potent. How do you double team him and keep Pedo, Kennedy, Garlett quiet?

We now have so much talent and ability that all we have to do is stay focused and determined on field and we will win (more than) our fair share.

Perfectly said.  

2 hours ago, Curry & Beer said:

disagree

Goodwin has been in the box for 3 practice games. He is not the one who should be getting the credit for the progress we have made. It is Roos. Another year of Roos is another year of improvement. My concern is what it has been from day 1 - which is that we will be losing his services at the end of the year.

Spot on.

King has a track record of running Roos down .  The suggestion that he hasn't achieved what he should have , has been overpaid and doesn't have the game style -goodwin will change everything crap.

if we had of won another 6-8 games over the last 2 seasons we wouldn't have the talent on our list that we have now and would be no closer to a flag.

Roos has had to reset the whole culture/setup at the club and nurse a broken group back to health we all know how bad it was.

Roos is all about creating an environment where everyone has input is on the same page empowered and responsible. The accusation that Goodwin will change everything is a contradiction on how things are at the club (a step back to the dark days if it was so)  and the gradual build and adding of layers each season. 

In my opinion Roos is confident that with a little luck we can slingshot this season after the slow build over the last 2 years.

King who I had previously admired has got this it wrong . It seem's he has an agenda , to create a story ?  petty jealousy? bad blood with Roosy? I dont know but I dislike his attempt to prove that there is conflict at the club.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Ted Fidge said:

There's a guy called Trengove waiting in the wings to pick up the slack.

Who?? Past Tense player will not get a game unless team extremely depleated! That's assuming he actually gets on the park!  IMV  both Trengove and  Grimes, far too slow for the game now. Just look at how Slow Grimes was yesterday!!

Out with the Old, In with the New Guard! The rebuild is progressing beautifully!

Edited by picket fence

3 hours ago, CityDee said:

King has a track record of running Roos down .  The suggestion that he hasn't achieved what he should have , has been overpaid and doesn't have the game style -goodwin will change everything crap.

if we had of won another 6-8 games over the last 2 seasons we wouldn't have the talent on our list that we have now and would be no closer to a flag.

Roos has had to reset the whole culture/setup at the club and nurse a broken group back to health we all know how bad it was.

Roos is all about creating an environment where everyone has input is on the same page empowered and responsible. The accusation that Goodwin will change everything is a contradiction on how things are at the club (a step back to the dark days if it was so)  and the gradual build and adding of layers each season. 

In my opinion Roos is confident that with a little luck we can slingshot this season after the slow build over the last 2 years.

King who I had previously admired has got this it wrong . It seem's he has an agenda , to create a story ?  petty jealousy? bad blood with Roosy? I dont know but I dislike his attempt to prove that there is conflict at the club.

Spot on City Dee.  I'm tired of the fact that every footy analyst praising Goodwin for our style of play sinks the boot into Roos at the same time.  Do people not remember how bad we were when Roos took over?  There is no way we could be playing this more attacking brand of footy without implementing key defensive structures, building training standards and a hardworking culture, and recruiting ball winners with grunt.  Who has been the one overseeing all that?   I have no doubt that Goodwin has had a big influence on our offensive style, but that doesn't mean that Roos isn't on the same page.  It's not like he's going to get back into the coaches box for the H&A and say "Hey guys, the NAB challenge style was good, but I'm a defensive coach and I want you to start chipping the ball backwards more".  Honestly, David King needs to get a grip.  He's so obsessed with sounding cutting edge on his analysis of playing style and being seen as straight talking that he just makes outlandish statements knowing that a few of them may be correct and we'll forget about all the ones that are wrong!!

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, CityDee said:

Very well put citydee. We still need Roos to be the main man in 2016.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Glenn Molloy said:

Spot on City Dee.  I'm tired of the fact that every footy analyst praising Goodwin for our style of play sinks the boot into Roos at the same time.  Do people not remember how bad we were when Roos took over?  There is no way we could be playing this more attacking brand of footy without implementing key defensive structures, building training standards and a hardworking culture, and recruiting ball winners with grunt.  Who has been the one overseeing all that?   I have no doubt that Goodwin has had a big influence on our offensive style, but that doesn't mean that Roos isn't on the same page.  It's not like he's going to get back into the coaches box for the H&A and say "Hey guys, the NAB challenge style was good, but I'm a defensive coach and I want you to start chipping the ball backwards more".  Honestly, David King needs to get a grip.  He's so obsessed with sounding cutting edge on his analysis of playing style and being seen as straight talking that he just makes outlandish statements knowing that a few of them may be correct and we'll forget about all the ones that are wrong!!

Totally agree. From what Goody said in his post-match interview he talks about the game style as the way the 'coaching group' wants to play. This talk about not getting a consistent message when Roos takes over the box again during the home and away season is ridiculous. The coaching group develops the game plan and coaches to the game plan. It's not as if Roos takes the reigns and the whole message changes and we change the way we play. David King is way off when it comes to this. From the players feedback over the preseason they talk about how Goody is more hands on and has really brought the attacking side to the game plan. That's not because Goody is the only one that knows how to coach the offence, more so because that's probably what his job was during the preseason. Also helps with his development as the next senior coach.  

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Glenn Molloy said:

Totally agree. From what Goody said in his post-match interview he talks about the game style as the way the 'coaching group' wants to play. This talk about not getting a consistent message when Roos takes over the box again during the home and away season is ridiculous. The coaching group develops the game plan and coaches to the game plan. It's not as if Roos takes the reigns and the whole message changes and we change the way we play. David King is way off when it comes to this. From the players feedback over the preseason they talk about how Goody is more hands on and has really brought the attacking side to the game plan. That's not because Goody is the only one that knows how to coach the offence, more so because that's probably what his job was during the preseason. Also helps with his development as the next senior coach.  

18 minutes ago, picket fence said:

Who?? Past Tense player will not get a game unless team extremely depleated! That's assuming he actually gets on the park!  IMV  both Trengove and  Grimes, far too slow for the game now. Just look at how Slow Grimes was yesterday!!

Out with the Old, In with the New Guard! The rebuild is progressing beautifully!

My larger point is that you don't need to be quick to be effective.

Grimes is another story but I for sentimental reasons I would like him to succeed too. I want them all to succeed, it's a shame the rules only allow for 18 on the field at a time.

27 minutes ago, picket fence said:

Slow in what context?

19 hours ago, fndee said:

Haven't seen much love for Bernie. Thought he was instrumental in the win and not just because of that goal saving tackle, but how good was that!

I agree. I am a huge fan of Bernie, he is absolutely critical to our success as he is so so talented. My only reservation is I notice this year he appears to be not at all as fluent in his kicking style as he has been in the past. Almost forced. As one of the best kicks in the side normally, I hope this is not an issue.  

8 hours ago, Baghdad Bob said:

If anyone thinks that the pre-season change of gameplan is solely Goodwin's coaching they don't understand our set up.

Roos is the head coach, Goodwin has input and the two work in tandem to develop the style of play they are looking to deliver on this year. David King is mostly pathetic and this commentary is simply for the sake of filling space. They assume Roos has the old style defelsive game  plan and Goodwin has the new modern style game plan. Ergo Goodwin should take over. Its laughable. Goodwin will take more resposnsibility this year but is doing it in a manner where he is not being exposed to the brutal reality of the pressure of coaching.

They are doing exactly what they said they would do and it would seem to be working well.

Edited by jnrmac
  • Like 3