Post Match Discussion - Round 15

Demonland

I noticed that WC didn't seem to be affected by playing in NT last week.

We just must be a special case!

NT had zero to do with it. We finished hard, we just didn't finish with anything resembling polish.

• Like 4

I noticed that WC didn't seem to be affected by playing in NT last week.

We just must be a special case!

The old adage of if you good enough you win, travel, 6 day turnarounds, wet weather, hostile crowds nothing interferes good sides build on confidence and self belief and just keep winning

I love Crossy, but his lack of kicking skills have been more apparent of late.

Magnified even more so when we lack two way runners and players willing to run and spread

• Like 2

Yep this. It's been happening ever since I've been supporting this club (28 years). Drop gimme games because they're mentally soft.

You are lucky dr the count is about 45 of the last 51 for me.

I love Crossy, but his lack of kicking skills have been more apparent of late. Not keen to look up the stats for the game but he's been turning it over quite a bit the last few weeks.

I'm happy having him there given the lack of on-field leaders but I also wouldn't be totally opposed to seeing a kid blooded in his spot once we get close to having a full strength list towards the end of the year.

It's not just Cross though. Viney has struggled and Jones is also making poor decisions by foot regularly. In their defence there seems to be a glaring lack of talk in terms of leading and spacing the field to find targets though. Essendon did this much better. And we didn't kick it high into the vicinity of Hogan enough.

• Like 1

I'm not really fussed with our inaccuracy. Wasn't an issue in Geelong. As long as we generate the shots. One of my pet peeves in footy are players standing around with the ball inside 50 and then getting caught while trying to find an option or trying ridiculous precision kicks that get turned over. Given we aren't the most skilled team by foot it's good when guys like Garlett or Vince just have a crack at the goals. We had several narrow misses and it was only the T-Mac set shots that dealt the fate

For once I agree with Mark Robinson in his latest piece in the Sun where he questions If the Dees really have improved given their capitulation to Essendon on Saturday. This loss was terrible for the club and demands corrective action from the football department.

Brad Scott finally had enough crap from his players and dropped Lundsay Thomas and made Harvey the sub. Ross Lyon dropped Milne and Del Santo to good effect a few years ago.

It is time we made a statement at the selection table and did the same to some of of our passengers, especially Howe and Dawes.As much as I admire Daniel Cross his turnovers are becoming a problem and I don't think Lamumbas form has been anything to write home about.

I think selection has been a problem all year and needs a major rethink.

This loss which ever way you look at it should never have happened and demands consequences.

• Like 1

I cannot believe some of the posts in this thread.

I just don't know how some of you manage to make it through the day.

Sunday's in the footy season are seldom good bing sadly just a fact of life.

Just watching the Hawks yesterday, their players are always in constant motion, running to assist, running to create an option, running to apply pressure. None of this static kicking down the line that dogged our game for 3 quarters saturday. Its what we must become

• Like 1

The thing that pisses me the most is that after a decade of choosing players through four diferent FD,s we still have a list that is made up of mainly players who have VFL level skills.

We have numerous players who cannot Kick or mark.

Lets not forget this game was played on our home ground.

Saturdays loss was all above the shoulders OD, we had the team to cover the Bombers and simply didn't do it.

• Like 2

Saturdays loss was all above the shoulders OD, we had the team to cover the Bombers and simply didn't do it.

yes and no. I/we thought we had this lot covered...and therefore youd think we had the cattle. Given we were pantsed by a second rate lot...you then have to conclude we dont. Even if above the shoulders weve got players who struggle. Won't do !!

Maybe some of us are just sick of footy when we have been kicked in the guts for 8 yrs. There are better things to do in life than subject yourself to torment when its voluntary.

The club needs to realise that people have options to do with their limited time. My kids are just about cooked with footy. The club can't afford to lose any supporters let alone the future.

So stick to your Pollyanna outlook on life. Must be great.

• Like 6

We are are a mentaly fragile side. Seems like the only requirement to beat us is their will to win is greater than ours. We don't have the capacity to withstand sides that are fairdinkum no matter where they stand on the ladder. It is arguable that all our wins this season have been against sides that didn't come to play or burdened by distractions.

Edited by america de cali
  • Like 1

Two games ago we went one on one, if Geelong push a number back we manned them up, I think at on stage we had a 9 man forward line. This week it seemed we allowed Essendon the spare Man and then two spare men I couldn't believe this, as soon as we allow a spare man in our forward 50 we are done, our mids don't kick the ball well enough. Three blokes I trust with ball in had Watts, Kent and Salem, you would add Vince but he is bag it 50m each time at the moment, the other is Jetta he never misses a target but usually kick 25-35m kicks.

Kent only because he kicks with such power he can get over the loose men. He has the ability to kick low and hard.

• Like 1

Two days later I still find it amazing that we were so awful for so much of Saturday's game in so many respects, yet we still had ample chances to win and couldn't get the job done against such poor opposition.

Yet again Nathan Jones cops a heavy tag, and nobody stood up to help him out. If he is not in our top 3-4 players on the day, we cannot win and every team in the competition knows that. Nothing against Jones, I thought his effort was as good as anyone's, but every thing he did was under significant pressure. A decent team would have been into Howlett all day, but we let him shadow Jones all day.

Viney's game was about as bad as I have ever seen from a capable AFL player. Couldn't find the footy, made horrible skill errors when he did, and gave away dumb free kicks at crucial times. He owes us next week.

Hogan had a shocker as well, and I can live with that - he has played twelve games. But the instruction should have been in the third quarter for him to sacrifice his game and take Hurley out of the game. We could have isolated Garlett or Howe or Watts or McDonald inside 50.

Dawes was as useless as always. I'm just not sure what he contributes, but it is just pathetic when a player of Gwilt's meagre talents takes you to the cleaners. At the very least he needed to be crashing packs and preventing Hurley and co from taking uncontested marks. Even if gives away 50 by crashing in after the mark is taken, at least they'll think twice next time.

McDonald needs to decide whether he wants to be a full back or something else, and I'm not sure that his skills are good enough to be anything other than a full back. His general approach to playing on Daniher was poor, as it was against Cloke. You can't play from behind against opponents who are stronger or taller or faster.

Gawn was our best player, but he beat next to nothing and we couldn't find a way to exploit his dominance. I suspect he may struggle against Martin and we need to play Spencer as well.

We can't keep playing all of Stretch, Neal-Bullen and Harmes together, and Brayshaw was poor as well. It worries me that the coach and his million assistants don't have the sense for when our side doesn't feel right, or when players are not right to go. It sounds like Hogan has pulled himself out twice this year, rather than the club giving him a rest.

The saddest thing about this was that it was so predictable. I agree with jnrmac, the club can't continue to serve up this kind of rubbish and expect that a supporter base will always be there to chip in money at the start of each season. There is clearly a tipping point, and it is rapidly approaching. My son is off to school next year, and I doubt that he will be interested in following a rabble like this if he cops too much of a hard time from his friends.

Edited by poita
  • Like 3

Don't agree with the Viney comment, but as a senior player feel Dawes has not delivered so far, I understand he was out with a calf injury for an extended period, but he has failed to impose himself on any game and goal tally is meagre . If this doesn't change Hogan can expect even more pressure applied to him as other sides would be like to worry less about Dawes. This is the rub, collectively our forwards don't give one another a chop out. Prepared to exclude Gartlett and Hogan from this, but our other forwards and those who rotate through there must impact the scoreboard or what is their role?

Was going to also say that we could have had too many inexperienced players in NB, Stretch , Harmes and Brayshaw but that's a non argument against Essendon who had just as many juniors.

Its the good old senior blokes who lack the grit shown by senior players in the top sides, who when the game is up for grabs, just grab it by the throat and get the job done. How Roos must note the difference between us and the swans in this regard.

• Like 1

Post Match should be a focus on what's going on in the coaches box! Forget the missed shots, we were out coached again, the same as we were against Collingwood! It's easy to beat Melbourne, drop an extra man in defence, put some mid field pressure on them and they'll bomb it in, ball goes to either the spare man, or to ground, weight of numbers wins out!

Seriously, forget winning anytime soon unless our coaches, learn to coach on game day...don't go blaming Hogan and Co, they are out number at the contest every week...they are destroying any confidence these young blokes have bit by bit each week...come on get with it fellas and learn the lesson!!!!

• Like 2

It's easy to beat Melbourne, drop an extra man in defence, put some mid field pressure on them and they'll bomb it in, ball goes to either the spare man, or to ground, weight of numbers wins out!

Its bad enough that Roos cant see that, but we have another guy in the coaches box whos meant to be a tactical genius and is taking over as senior coach soon.. if he, like Roos, cant identify basic things that even supporters can, then we are stuffed.

Post Match should be a focus on what's going on in the coaches box! Forget the missed shots, we were out coached again, the same as we were against Collingwood! It's easy to beat Melbourne, drop an extra man in defence, put some mid field pressure on them and they'll bomb it in, ball goes to either the spare man, or to ground, weight of numbers wins out!

Seriously, forget winning anytime soon unless our coaches, learn to coach on game day...don't go blaming Hogan and Co, they are out number at the contest every week...they are destroying any confidence these young blokes have bit by bit each week...come on get with it fellas and learn the lesson!!!!

Welcome to the nuthouse....

It's a nasty, nasty place after a loss. But the best place in the world after a win. Everyone will be wonderful again when we beat the Lions.

Don't ever change Demonland.

• Like 2