When Do We Find Out About the Priority Pick?

Grimseyisgod

It's been leaked out to the media that we wont get a pick - take it as decided.

I don't know why the Commission bothers to meet or exist. Vlad decides, leaks out of media so everyone is conditioned to the outcome and then Mike F makes the Commission statement - it's a joke.

Prime examples are Caro had the penalties in print for Dee's tanking, Adelaide salary cap and Essendon drugs scandal miraculously before the commission had even met. Priority pick no different. Gill tested the water a few months ago - read the waters and has now leaked the commissions outcome before the meeting.

Vlad really needs to the shown the door and some integrity needs to be returned to the AFL.

Maybe we've all got it back to front. Perhaps Caro tells the AFL what to do and right now the AFL is waiting on her decision.

• Like 1

As soon as I hear anything I'll send you a note by alpaca express to calm your fluttering little heart Moonie.

I would not hold your breath guys waiting for good news.

The AFL have been making negative statements and leaking info for 2 - 3 weeks now.

IMO we are not getting one.

people actually thought we would get pick 1 or 2?

lol, come on

if we are lucky we will get an end of first round PP

I think we were a really good show of getting one of those picks but the pressure from the clubs and media may derail that. I'm still hopeful the commission will do the right thing but as others have noted their official announcements seem to be made via leaks through the media these days and it's not positive.

I think we were a really good show of getting one of those picks but the pressure from the clubs and media may derail that. I'm still hopeful the commission will do the right thing but as others have noted their official announcements seem to be made via leaks through the media these days and it's not positive.

We can only hope that the AFL is so embarrassed about how patently they have been leaking that this time they have leaked the wrong info. Then when it turns out to be wrong it will somehow show they don't leak. ::>) Fat chance I'm afraid.

Edited by sue

We can only hope that the AFL is so embarrassed about how patently they have been leaking that this time they have leaked the wrong info. Then when it turns out to be wrong it will somehow show they don't leak. ::>) Fat chance I'm afraid.

I think 19 is a lock as it would make the AFL look absolutely weak to not give us anything. I am still hoping for Essendon's pick as a compromise.

It could depend on whether the AFL did a deal with PJ when we got Roos.

The AFL could then have engineered all the fuss from the other clubs to somehow justify not giving us Boyd.

Why pick 19 Redleg?

Aren't The salary cap and drug cheats banned from the 1st and 2nd rounds.

We should only have 16 teams vying. It should be pick 17 priority.

I'm in the camp of not getting a pick this year. After 2014 if we are still as bad then yes give us a pick. I'm aware of all the arguments to why we should get one but I'm also aware that people believe Watts is still suffering mentally from his QB debut. Some people seem to think that by Roos accepting the coaching job that we suddenly have the best culture of any club in the AFL. Yes receiving a pick would help in a small way but it's not the saviour some think it will be. Even with Roos coaching picking up gun players with out picks is not guaranteed. The players on our list need to harden up and cut the crap looking for excuses all the time. Other teams have shown what is possible this year, Port's sudden rise and Freo have had in jury's to key players all year. Pick or no pick, on Saturday night Freo raised the bar. If clubs don't come to play with a similar mindset they are wasting their time. Something we have been doing for years.

Yeah, nice theory, not gonna happen.

We are being conditioned by afl leaks to the media that we aren't going to get one.

As I said to a hawthorn-supporting mate last night, it's not a question of 'deserves' it's a question of 'qualifies for' and 'requires'.

If Melbourne don't qualify after 7 years of abject failure, who does?

Essentially, i don't believe anyone should ever get one again if Melbourne doesn't.

• Like 3

Can PJ and co lobby some sort of appeal if we don't get one?

half way through this year we were facing a ten year turnaround and the next Fitzroy, what all of a sudden makes us not in need of something? we have won 1 more game since that point and even that win wasn't in convincing fashion.

• Like 2

Anything but pick 1 is pointless. Let's see how spineless the AFL are. As a couple of posters have mentioned lately, they go on this equalisation trip to the US and it seemingly makes not one iota of difference.

Pick 1 is the only pick that either gets us A grade potential or the ability to trade in a B grade cusp/A grade potential and improve our list. Equalisation, AFL. There should be absolutely no consideration given to any other AFL club. It isn't their call. It is the AFL's and an apparently independent commission.

Edited by AdamFarr
  • Like 1

Why pick 19 Redleg?

Aren't The salary cap and drug cheats banned from the 1st and 2nd rounds.

We should only have 16 teams vying. It should be pick 17 priority.

I think GWS and maybe GC have activated concession picks which occur at the end of the first round.

• Like 1

Anything but pick 1 is pointless. Let's see how spineless the AFL are. As a couple of posters have mentioned lately, they go on this equalisation trip to the US and it seemingly makes not one iota of difference.

Pick 1 is the only pick that either gets us A grade potential or the ability to trade in a B grade cusp/A grade potential and improve our list. Equalisation, AFL. There should be absolutely no consideration given to any other AFL club. It isn't their call. It is the AFL's and an apparently independent commission.

If, big if, Pick #1 happens, Tom Boyd is a given?

if they aren't going to give us pick 1 give us pick 9 and 19,

mid 1st round and start of second round. pick 9 being the pick Essendon would have had anyway, doesn't have any bearing on any bottom 8 sides.

give us the condition we have to trade pick 9 and if the AFL has any balls send a clear message to the other clubs that this has nothing to do with them, at some point they might want/need similar help.

I think GWS and maybe GC have activated concession picks which occur at the end of the first round.

Totally forgot about those. So that is why we were looking at GWS using pick 10 their concession as a trade.

Makes me feel pretty dumb.

Edit : the last statement

Edited by Chippy

This morning's Age reports that we would not be given PP when the Commission meets today and also that we will not have to pay back the $2.7M assistance. Maybe this is a phyriric victory although Tom Boyd would be nice to line up alongside Hogan next year. No mention of the $500,000 tanking penalty and whether we still have to fork that out?

Essentially, i don't believe anyone should ever get one again if Melbourne doesn't.

This is why I think we have a slight chance of getting a priority pick, the AFL has on it's hand 3 clubs that are heading on a similar path to the MFC, Brisbane is looking likely to lose a number of young players plus a couple of champions, St Kilda will be in all sorts next year if not next the year after and GWS has talent but a long way off. If they don't give a pick to MFC you are right it should be dead, but it can't be dead because the AFL need in particular the interstate teams to be competitive. If Brisbane continue on the path they are the AFL needs them to get back quick or the AFL will be looking at a monster bail out for them.

• Like 2

I think a few here underestimate how handy having an extra first round pick would be. It would give us another option of trading in a ready made player and there is plenty of those looking to move this trade period. I personally believe that is what we will receive and that is fine any help is good. Though I do find the article to be very hypocritical. We were bashed from pillar to post this year and everyone saying we've got a 10 year re-build and we ae no good. Now the same people are saying we have loads of potential and could turn it around quickly. What a load of BS I say f*** the media and f*** the rest of the comp. Go Dees!

• Like 3

This is why I think we have a slight chance of getting a priority pick, the AFL has on it's hand 3 clubs that are heading on a similar path to the MFC, Brisbane is looking likely to lose a number of young players plus a couple of champions, St Kilda will be in all sorts next year if not next the year after and GWS has talent but a long way off. If they don't give a pick to MFC you are right it should be dead, but it can't be dead because the AFL need in particular the interstate teams to be competitive. If Brisbane continue on the path they are the AFL needs them to get back quick or the AFL will be looking at a monster bail out for them.

I think GWS Should come into consideration as well, they're the only team below us, but they have as much young talent or more than any AFL list has ever seen, they're going to be a gun side unless something goes awfully pear shaped, to give them yet another key forward that they in all honesty don't need is abit strange

Pick 1 gets us back up and makes everyone more money as soon as next year, but for GWS it probably doesn't make any difference at all to where they're going.

Stkilda imo will be in a worse position than we were/ are in a couple of years, and because they aren't named Melbourne and have the same marketing potential as us I wouldn't be surprised if we see another situation where the AFL is looking at moving a Club or Merging clubs.

• Like 2

I think GWS Should come into consideration as well, they're the only team below us, but they have as much young talent or more than any AFL list has ever seen, they're going to be a gun side unless something goes awfully pear shaped, to give them yet another key forward that they in all honesty don't need is abit strange

Pick 1 gets us back up and makes everyone more money as soon as next year, but for GWS it probably doesn't make any difference at all to where they're going.

Stkilda imo will be in a worse position than we were/ are in a couple of years, and because they aren't named Melbourne and have the same marketing potential as us I wouldn't be surprised if we see another situation where the AFL is looking at moving a Club or Merging clubs.

Agree with this, and they'd better not bother applying for a PP until they've been as bad as we have for as long as we have.