The Trade/Draft Rumour Mill

MadAsHell

I've got mixed feelings. Bugg was one of the pre-listed players and has played some good football.

Buntine was a high draft pick. Pick 5. But hasnt been selected too often. Not sure if he was injured.

Both have been playing as defenders. Think Bugg may be able to push into the middle this year.

I would be really happy to get pick 9 though. Means we still get a good pick and two players.

I know Buntine suffered a punctured lung and a broken rib in this years NAB Cup that caused him to miss 8-10 weeks so he didn't get started until well into the season. Hasn't set the world alight like a Shiel but has the talent and a few years in the system which would allow him to come in and have an immediate impact. Same as Bugg.

• Like 1

I know this has probably been touched on, but how have GWS got pick 9.

I would be keener if they were both genuine mids.

Activated compo pick.

It's Shiel for pick 2. Or the draft.

Surely.

Obviously it isn't a sure thing. I'd love Shiel as well but clearly that isn't on the table.

I know little about Bugg and Buntine. On pure stats alone they played only 17 games between them this year and were low possession winners. They may have had injury concerns for all I know but the deal for pick 2, even with a pick 9 kick back, is like us palming off Tapscott and Strauss.

There are many better judges on this board than me but this deal, as reported, sounds ridiculous

• Like 6

I know little about Bugg and Buntine. On pure stats alone they played only 17 games between them this year and were low possession winners. They may have had injury concerns for all I know but the deal for pick 2, even with a pick 9 kick back, is like us palming off Tapscott and Strauss.

There are many better judges on this board than me but this deal, as reported, sounds ridiculous

Agreed. I wouldn't go so far as ridiculous but it's definitely underwhelming, I can't understand why we'd use it on two defenders who have fallen off the Giants' radar.

Yuck.

Unless... Mfc write who they want to select in a dated, sealed envelope and open it and show us after they pick him, then I'm down with it.

I want Shiel for pick 2, not spare parts blokes.

That's how I see it.

Spare parts that GWS don't mind casting off.

Both HBFs instead of mids.

I like Bugg, but not enough for pick 2.

It's kinda like saying I like Tom McDonald... but not for bloody pick 2.

Buntine is amazing at winning the hard contested footy in the backline.

He's great at that. But providing run out of defense, rebounding and kicking... I'm not convinced.

For a HBF for pick 2, he'd want to play like Goddard.

And I know there's competition for spots, but Buntine hasn't played a great deal of games for GWS.

Will definitely be happily superseded by Plowman.

• Like 1

I have suspected we don't want to be in he top picks and are keen on someone mid table this would confirm that. Not convinced by the two on offer who haven't managed to get a game consistently with GWS.

Knightmare on Bugg:

I like what I've seen of Bugg to this point. He could be worth a late 1st rounder.

He's mostly played as a run with player for GWS both down back and through the midfield. He's mostly outside and light bodied. High motor, has above average pace, high production and disciplined. Good but not great user of the footy and with his light body isn't a natural ball winner but off a back flank or in a run with role he can be a component of a team without being a centrepiece.

So they're offering us an undersized utility in Buntine who could possibly make it as a mid and a lightly built tagger in Bugg. I'm not seeing anything we need there. Possibly the club sees two first round picks in these two plus pick 9 and like the math, but I'm not even remotely sold on this.

• Like 1

I said from the minute we put 2 on the table that clubs would walk on us and this is letting the other joke of the competition walk all over us

This is a joke trade if we accept it. In some circumstances its okay, but not in ours. If were going to give away pick 2, it either needs to be for a young absolute star, or for shiel who will be a star. Bugg and Buntine are not worth the pick 2 end of.
And theyre not what we need either. Melbourne said they want a star with the pick and its time to stick to our guns

If we dont get what we want then take it to the draft. Dont let other teams see us as a joke all the time.

Time to stand up as a football club

Id be bitterly disappointed with the club if we accepted this deal

• Like 1

I don't believe and I hope this trade will not eventuate, MFC said they were only interested in trading pick 2 for quality midfielders and that's what it should be.

These players don't solve our midfield problems, I would rather go to the draft and be patient and wait for a Kelly or Aish to develop.

Not excited by this trade at all

• Like 2

No thanks. We have to use Pick 2 on a potential midfield star, neither of which Bugg or Buntine are likely to be.

Or we could get that same midfield star at pick 9 and replace 2 spuds (take your pick of Magner, Jetta or Nicholson) with very decent young players.

It's a ballsy move but one worth considering.

• Like 3