FAREWELL LIAM JURRAH

DemonDave

I don't pretend to speak on Liam's behalf, but as his close friend I wanted to thank the many Dees supporters who took Liam into their hearts and supported him on his journey from Yuendumu to the MCG.

I understand why there are those who feel angry, bitter, betrayed and more than anything frustrated and disappointed at HIS DECISION to depart from the club. This decision was not made lightly, but was coming for quite some time, especially after he moved to Adelaide some weeks back. No-one on Demonland, nor indeed anyone except those personally close to Liam have any idea of the issues he has had to face this past year. Contrary to the perception shared by many, these personal issues are not the result of him being Aboriginal or from a remote community. They are complex, family problems which are his private business. However, he felt he could only deal with these issues by being amongst his family, many of which now live in Adelaide. I know it's hard to believe sometimes, but there are some things in life more important than football.

So rest assured, his decision to leave the Dees should not be read as an indictment on the club, or due to their mishandling of him. The club has been terrifically supportive and patient with Liam, and he and his family (and me) will always feel very appreciative of their efforts.

I hope he finds peace of mind and happiness being surrounded by his own mob in Adelaide. Maybe, he will also get another opportunity to play for an AFL club over there, but frankly, this is a secondary consideration just at the minute.

Thanks again to all who have supported Liam.

• Like 22

I don't pretend to speak on Liam's behalf, but as his close friend I wanted to thank the many Dees supporters who took Liam into their hearts and supported him on his journey from Yuendumu to the MCG.

I understand why there are those who feel angry, bitter, betrayed and more than anything frustrated and disappointed at HIS DECISION to depart from the club. This decision was not made lightly, but was coming for quite some time, especially after he moved to Adelaide some weeks back. No-one on Demonland, nor indeed anyone except those personally close to Liam have any idea of the issues he has had to face this past year. Contrary to the perception shared by many, these personal issues are not the result of him being Aboriginal or from a remote community. They are complex, family problems which are his private business. However, he felt he could only deal with these issues by being amongst his family, many of which now live in Adelaide. I know it's hard to believe sometimes, but there are some things in life more important than football.

So rest assured, his decision to leave the Dees should not be read as an indictment on the club, or due to their mishandling of him. The club has been terrifically supportive and patient with Liam, and he and his family (and me) will always feel very appreciative of their efforts.

I hope he finds peace of mind and happiness being surrounded by his own mob in Adelaide. Maybe, he will also get another opportunity to play for an AFL club over there, but frankly, this is a secondary consideration just at the minute.

The issue for me, and possibly a number of other supporters, is the fact that it took the Melbourne Football Club many hours to release a statement, of which it mentioned that Liam informed them that he wouldn't be fit for AFL duties until after his hearing (ie March), yet in media outlets, on the Port Adelaide website, and even in his/your own comments, it appeared that Liam was leaving to go to another club.

We all understand there must be issues with family that we will never understand (not sure if that sentence makes sense!), and accept Liam's decision to leave the MFC based on that. But when it is being reported about him looking to continue his AFL career with a different club, it is any wonder there have been some diappointed postings going on. I don't think you, Liam or the Port Adelaide Football Club did yourselves any favours during the chain of events yesterday.

Thank you for coming on and postion what you did. I'm sure most MFC supporters have appreciated your updates over the years, but it won't help the disappointment I will feel should Liam be wearing a Port jumper next year and playing senior footy early in the season. It may not happen, the selfish side of me hopes it doesn't.

Sue, traditionally all players move between clubs via a trade.

For example, Des Headland a couple of years back wanted to go home to Perth and said he's up for a trade (to one of the Perth Clubs)... He was traded to Freo and I guess Brissie got some kind of return for it.

Liam's essentially the same deal, except Liam decided not to try and do it in a way that returned anything back to the MFC.

It's happened Liam's way before and it always leaves a bitter taste for the club (and fans) that invests for nothing...

Luke Ball left the Saints saying he'd only go to the Pies, and the Saints got nothing and Ball was never liked by saints fans since.

Thanks PaulRB. I know players move by trade, but do the traded players have a contract with their original club, or the certainty of being offered one? I've assumed they do. And hence given the very public Adelaide move, Jurrah couldn't help the MFC to a trade since that made it clear to Port that they could get him without a trade. Am I wrong?

Was Hedland contracted at Brisbane?

As for Ball, what could he have done if he wanted to help St Kilda with a trade? What's the mechanism? And would it have worked if it was Freo rather than the Pies he wanted to go to, and it was clear he wanted to live in WA, and Freo had first pick in the relevant draft?

That's the point I seem to be missing in my ignorance/thickness.

Contracts are set to expire 31 Oct, at the end of the trade period.

So even if their contract is ending, it generally won't end till after the trade period.

I assume the same for Liam's contract. No idea on Dessy Headlands.

In Luke Balls case I think he tried to get the Saints a deal but they and the Pies couldn't settle so he walked into the draft telling all other suitors he only really wanted to be at Collingwood... Buckley got traded by Brissie to Collingwood using the trade path...

No biggy and as Rudeboy said Liam's focus is not on footy so helping the MFC do a deal with Port was probably a low priority...

Edited by PaulRB

No biggy and as Rudeboy said Liam's focus is not on footy so helping the MFC do a deal with Port was probably a low priority...

That's the reason I feel a lot of posters are bitter. It may be a low priority of Liam's, but saying thank you and showing gratitude, should not be. If Liam doesn't realise, then others close to him should advise him. Ungrateful people usually are not a high priority for being helped. Perhaps a statement from his management along the lines of

"Liam wants Melbourne to be compensated if he goes to another club" would have gone a long way to quieting some of the anger and hurt, a lot of dees fans feel.

I wish him well, but feel that his manner of departure may leave him with far fewer friends and admirers, then again he may not care about that.

• Like 3

That's the reason I feel a lot of posters are bitter. It may be a low priority of Liam's, but saying thank you and showing gratitude, should not be. If Liam doesn't realise, then others close to him should advise him. Ungrateful people usually are not a high priority for being helped. Perhaps a statement from his management along the lines of

"Liam wants Melbourne to be compensated if he goes to another club" would have gone a long way to quieting some of the anger and hurt, a lot of dees fans feel.

I wish him well, but feel that his manner of departure may leave him with far fewer friends and admirers, then again he may not care about that.

extremely well put

Thanks Rudeboy. I wish Liam all the best for the future, he will be sadly missed.

• Like 2

Thanks for coming on to DL Rudeboy. As always your comments offer insight and understanding on what is really going on with Liam. Best wishes to him and his family.

• Like 2

It would be good hear this from Jurrah.

• Like 6

Too many players want out. I am very concerned with all this.

...but do any hard working dedicated players want out? That would be a concern, but if those who find Neeld just too hard and demanding want to leave then please do so.

some of the anti Jurrah sentiment floating about makes me feel I am in the wrong place here. I am encouraged to realise the silent majority wish him well and [censored] happens etc... Told my Son LJ left the club today. E's a great kid, apprentice plumber and also a gun footballer. First thing he said was "fair enough". Why are so many of you people harbouring such hatred and resentment towards Jurrah?

• Like 4

I wish LJ the best of luck. Hopefully the difficult issues he's facing can be sorted and he can resurrect his footy career at some point. LJ might not be an elite runner or a contested ball warrior, but he's got something unique to give to the game and for that, he'll be missed.

• Like 1

Really?? So we help a guy from a remote community fulfill a dream to play AFL. We support him endlessly and go out of our way to accommodate his cultural needs. We support him through injury and a major court trial AND THEN the guy spits in our face and drops a bombshell on us without a consideration that we might get a trade for him or a draft pick somewhere.

And you don't understand why people are upset??

Sean Charles, Wonna, Lawrence and now Jurrah have all walked out on the club. You can't understand why people don't connect the dots??

You're not really trying very hard are you.

So? What are the dots?

Look, I really do wish Liam all the best, but my honest reaction to this post was 'Oh, spare me'.

It would be good hear this from Jurrah.

We might get it on the next run of EMT.

Guest Rassilon

Wish Liam all the best Rudeboy. He will always hold a special place in our hearts. Thank him for all his efforts at the Dees. I sincerely hope he sorts out all the issues and plays AFL again soon.

PS No screamers against us - please. :wub: If I could push my luck no bags of goals against us either :wub: :wub:

• Like 1

Thanks PaulRB. I know players move by trade, but do the traded players have a contract with their original club, or the certainty of being offered one? I've assumed they do. And hence given the very public Adelaide move, Jurrah couldn't help the MFC to a trade since that made it clear to Port that they could get him without a trade. Am I wrong?

Was Hedland contracted at Brisbane?

As for Ball, what could he have done if he wanted to help St Kilda with a trade? What's the mechanism? And would it have worked if it was Freo rather than the Pies he wanted to go to, and it was clear he wanted to live in WA, and Freo had first pick in the relevant draft?

That's the point I seem to be missing in my ignorance/thickness.

Here here. Whilst wishing the best for Liam if innocent & all that would love to know why in the background sum muppet in management couldn't work something out with MFC. Cmon we all know Liam doesn't need to get involved with this side of things but FFS gratitude for MFC s efforts during trying times would've been nice. Thnk for the memories and awesome plays at that LJ

The reason people are bringing up Davey is because he is meant to be the mentor of the indigenous players at Melbourne. He is meant to look out for them and communicate with them. Ensure they are happy at the club and if they are not that the club knows about this so that they can try to cater for the players.

3 walkouts in the last 12 months.......surely he ain't doing the best job. All he has left to mentor is a kid with a broken leg who is going to be delisted.

still posting garbage, the issues LJ is facing are way more than needing a mate for a chat about. I am heart broken that we have lost three indigenous players recently, I consider indigenous footy to be free flowing and attacking footy which I enjoy immensely and want as a hallmark of the club. I also consider sport as one of the best ways to deal with the scourge of racisim and I want my club to be a part of that (be clear that I'm not accusing or implying anything here, just saying why I care).

Anyway three players who I would have loved to see succeed have left, the thing I'm calm about is that they didn't leave because of any garbage reasons to do with being indigenous, which is the way it should be and one of the reasons AD is a mentor.

So if you want to say AD has had a terrible year, no argument, just stop this baseless garbage about him not doing his job as a mentor its not what I hear from the club.

As an aside I remember being at a night game between GFCvMFC where AD tore them a new ar$3hole (this is pre hamstrings forward pressure days) when I was sitting amongst a Geelong group and I was cheering AD to have a grumpy old bastard say 'little [censored] (sic) will never amount to anything, will go walkabout they always do and never a star" I replied is that what you think about all of them and he replied with some cr@p that I won't type here, to which I said, fair enough what about polly farmer? to a person, every Geelong supporter turned and looked at this [censored] who said nothing, he and his wife left shortly after, we won the game.

• Like 1

I saw LJ turn it on and will always have those memories. I wish him all the best and if that means playing for the Crows or Port then good luck to him. However, unfortunately i don't think we will ever see hi play AFL again.

Agree, but I think we will - though perhaps 2-3 years down the track, or even later. I think he might have a couple of seasons in the SANFL, and then will get picked up by one of the SA clubs.

Yes, you do actually.

Where is the public statemen of thanks and gratitude from Liam to the club that stood by him?

Pfft. Stick your post where the sun don't shine.

Why shoot the messenger? RudeBoy could have taken the easy option and avoided posting anything on these forums, but instead had the decency to come on and attempt to provide a reasonable explanation... of course that's not going to satisfy those who put their love of footy ahead of any attempt to understand that LJ might have a few other things on his plate that take precedence at the moment... and as has been said a number of times already, none of us really know what discussions have taken place between LJ and the club.

• Like 3