• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

FAREWELL LIAM JURRAH

DemonDave

To put it in simple terms.

How many times has the MFC and supporter been shafted since the end of 2006?

This is just another one to add to the pile.

A simple statement by LJ would suffice.

We did give him a massive life line...

That said i wish him the best.

I hope he feels the same about my club.

Why does Liam need to make a public announcement of thanks and gratitude?

Implicit in this is the qualification that such players are only deserving of our support if they conform to our norms on etiquette and behaviour..

Correct -players who are given support are expected to conform to norms on etiquette. correction - people who are given support are expected to conform to norms on etiquette.

There may be some leeway given if the person has no understanding or exposure at all to required etiquette but I dont subscribe to the view that "we dont say thank you in our culture and even if I am aware it is the norm in you culture I dont need to abide by it ".

• Like 1

Correct -players who are given support are expected to conform to norms on etiquette. correction - people who are given support are expected to conform to norms on etiquette.

There may be some leeway given if the person has no understanding or exposure at all to required etiquette but I dont subscribe to the view that "we dont say thank you in our culture and even if I am aware it is the norm in you culture I dont need to abide by it ".

Again... how do any of us know that he and the club haven't already had this discussion and he has indeed said thank you. Why is so much emphasis being put on a "public thank you"? Surely it is between LJ and the club. Sorry, I don't subscribe to this idea that because we are members, we need to hear a public thank you because our contributions have helped support him... as members we should accept that our contributions get channeled into wherever the MFC thinks they should go at any given time,

• Like 1

Why shoot the messenger? RudeBoy could have taken the easy option and avoided posting anything on these forums, but instead had the decency to come on and attempt to provide a reasonable explanation... of course that's not going to satisfy those who put their love of footy ahead of any attempt to understand that LJ might have a few other things on his plate that take precedence at the moment... and as has been said a number of times already, none of us really know what discussions have taken place between LJ and the club.

Because the messenger is writing self-indulgent cr@p.

• Like 1

Again... how do any of us know that he and the club haven't already had this discussion and he has indeed said thank you. Why is so much emphasis being put on a "public thank you"? Surely it is between LJ and the club. Sorry, I don't subscribe to this idea that because we are members, we need to hear a public thank you because our contributions have helped support him... as members we should accept that our contributions get channeled into wherever the MFC thinks they should go at any given time,

Because in the cold light of day - Liam has involved himself in matters outside football, cost the football club large sums of money in terms of support both legal and otherwise and been given latitude that we probably have not seen given to a player before. He has now decided after all this that he cant stay in Melbourne and has left the club and in return we receive diddly squat - except word from his manager that Port have been in contact with him.

Again, do not misinterpret the above as lack of understanding or lack of sensitivity over the issues of enormous cultural differences and community problems that exist. I understand all that. However Liam has been given and taken a great deal from our club and simple recognition of that would not go astray.

Brent Moloney who recently said he wanted to remain a Demon and in all probability was shown the door thanked the club for the 8 years- its not hard.

• Like 1

Eddie will probably organise an interview at some point :unsure:

Jeeeesus!! Damned if he doesn't and damned if he does.

Well, only because everybody has their opinion, and by their nature, opinions differ.

All I've said is that I wish Liam well, because I am sure what he is going through sucks. However, I'm not really interested in justifications. I haven't made any comments about whether so-and-so should make X statements or not, or on Liam wanting to play for us or not, or for anyone. That's his call entirely, and I respect it.

I just found that post really patronising.

Why does Liam need to make a public announcement of thanks and gratitude?

Presumably so some people can feel good about themselves and the way they supported a 'troubled' indigenous player... Implicit in this is the qualification that such players are only deserving of our support if they conform to our norms on etiquette and behaviour..

If you'd read Rudeboy's book - try pages 131 & 132 - you'd know that a whole different set of norms apply. The word thank you doesn't even exist in the Walpiri language. At one point, Ian Flack was worried because players who had been trying to help Liam around the club were miffed that he never thanked them. Rudeboy pointed out that in all the time LJ had lived with him, he'd never once said thank you.. there was no need to..because it's all about obligations and reciprocity - you do what you're required to do and there is no need for pleases and thank-yous

In any case, who's to say he hasn't said thank the club privately?

mate, if i live in a different culture and find its important to say 'thank you' even though I normally wouldn't, it's simple. I would say thank you if I was truelly thankful.

Melbourne would have poured over a million of our members dollars into this bloke. He indeed should be saying thank you in big letters and publicly through his manager.

He would not be selling books off the shelves without the Dees existence either. We have a culture too you know.

• Like 2

mate, if i live in a different culture and find its important to say 'thank you' even though I normally wouldn't, it's simple. I would say thank you if I was truelly thankful.

Melbourne would have poured over a million of our members dollars into this bloke. He indeed should be saying thank you in big letters and publicly through his manager.

He would not be selling books off the shelves without the Dees existence either. We have a culture too you know.

This is what I have an issue with... the CLUB has poured the money into LJ, NOT we members... we give our money to the club in good faith expecting them to use it wisely; as long as LJ has thanked the club (and none of us know what dialogue took place), then I couldn't care less whether he has apologised publicy or not. Should the MFC be coming out and publicly apologising every time a high draft pick doesn't work out? Did they make a public apology to the members over Scully's defection?... No!

This is what I have an issue with... the CLUB has poured the money into LJ, NOT we members... we give our money to the club in good faith expecting them to use it wisely; as long as LJ has thanked the club (and none of us know what dialogue took place), then I couldn't care less whether he has apologised publicy or not. Should the MFC be coming out and publicly apologising every time a high draft pick doesn't work out? Did they make a public apology to the members over Scully's defection?... No!

We are getting pilloried by the press (rightly so) and we should also be thick skinned and not listen to every bit of tripe that the media writes or says but we did get some (more) negative publicity about Liam leaving and how we didnt necessarily do the right things by him when my understanding (and what rude boy said ) is the opposite is true.

I liked what Rudeboy wrote - problem is I would have liked it to come out of Liam's mouth. I just don't think what I and a lot of others would like is a stretch.

• Like 1

This is what I have an issue with... the CLUB has poured the money into LJ, NOT we members...

Errr.... as financial members are we not effectively shareholders of the club. In other words, MFC members ARE the club. We elect board members to represent us.

• Like 2

Only the rest of us don't publish our self-indulgent crap and pass ourselves of as authors.

The Liam Jurrah Story ... Give us a spell.

Bit rough RR. He doesn't deserve that.

As disappointed as I was about LJ leaving, I can now say I am over it. He is no longer a Demon. I look forward to seeing who will take the vacant spots on the list that are now being created. Good luck for the rest of your life LJ, but it's Go Dees.

Bit rough RR. He doesn't deserve that.

As disappointed as I was about LJ leaving, I can now say I am over it. He is no longer a Demon. I look forward to seeing who will take the vacant spots on the list that are now being created. Good luck for the rest of your life LJ, but it's Go Dees.

I'm over it too Redleg but the MFC didn't deserve the treatment it got when Jurrah shot through.

Not buying 'Rudeboy's' spin for one minute.

this bit :)

Once he went on Edward's TV show without first informing the club, i knew his heart deep down was not with the Demons....so i am not suprised at how this has panned out.

disappointed you bet. But not suprised...it's 2012.

This discussion on big footy has taken an interesting turn:

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/the-cut.947418/page-10

This is an unresolvable argument/debate. There are those who feel that as members their money has been used on this bloke and feel dissappointed that he has left. There are people like me who think it was inevitable and that he was gone either way. And there are people who feel that Liam has the right to move on and do what's best for him and that he doesnt owe the club anything - family comes first.

What I will say is that his and a number of other communities up there are in near chaos at the moment. Even Alice Springs has become quite a dangerous place after dark and it used to be pretty peaceful.

Bad Kharma LJ.

Sh!t effort .

You'll feel better with the Port Power mob.

Doubt they will provide you with a QC next time you get into strife .

You've wasted everybodies time and effort and more than likely wrecked your own career .

Good luck Bro.

Errr.... as financial members are we not effectively shareholders of the club. In other words, MFC members ARE the club. We elect board members to represent us.

Selective quoting is not the best policy. Maybe you should have included the rest

"the CLUB has poured the money into LJ, NOT we members...we give our money to the club in good faith expecting them to use it wisely; as long as LJ has thanked the club (and none of us know what dialogue took place), then I couldn't care less whether he has apologised publicy or not."

You are right, the club is it's members, much like the govt is its electorate... however, like the govt, the club acts on our behalf and uses their best judgement.