Thank you Demonland

layzie

I havent participated much this year. A year of learnings as Goodie would say for me. Thanks for sharing thoughts especially on the past few weeks Demon mob. In the end 3-4 quality players short. I think we can fix that in draft and a few from VFL to be competitive again. Also accept Blues are ahead of us and not just nlame goal kicking. 
thanks everyone

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Half forward flank said:

Also accept Blues are ahead of us and not just nlame goal kicking

I don’t accept that. The stats don’t say that. We lost both those finals, much more than we were beaten.

That’s what makes it so frustrating.

• Like 12
  • Clap 1
  • Sad 1
  • Angry 1

2 hours ago, layzie said:

Things are still very raw and I thought about waiting a bit but there's no time like the present. When you truly love something, you need to love it when things are at their worst as well.

Demonland means a lot to me and I wanted to express my gratitude to all of you for providing the best place in town for all talk regarding our beloved Demons.

I'd firstly like to give a shoutout to Andy and the moderators for keeping Demonland running smoothly as usual and taking the podcast to yet another level with a great format and tons of great content, quick shoutout to @george_on_the_outer and @binman too for their efforts throughout the year. This became the only Melb and Footy pod I listened to this year and the analysis went to a new level. Looking forward to seeing what's in store next year guys!

To @WalkingCivilWar for providing a weekly update on the making of the banner. Something I've never been exposed to before and it was amazing to see how much time and effort goes into these things. Also thanks for giving us amazing insight to how much the Demon Army accomplishes based on the little resources they have to play with. Again, a realm I'd had very little exposure to and I'll be taking out a DA membership next year no doubt.

@kev martin Your training reports just like last year were amazing. This was another reason why I tuned out to the main footy media so much this year because I was getting so much info from these reports alone! You do all this work off your own bat and I can assure you it is much, much appreciated on DL. 

@Lucifers Hero Your workings of the contract details and number crunching is info that is not readily available in a short space of time on the interwebs. You pull this all together into one concise format and it is an amazing resource. Thanks also for the 'what they are saying' threads. There's so much respect for you here and deservedly so.

To @joeboy the 3 word reviews are like an exclamation point on a game just played. I still don't know how you front up each week and do it knowing what might be coming back in response but you do and I'm looking forward to seeing many, many more. 

Thanks also to anyone who is able to share contents of an article behind a paywall. You guys are the lords of the dance! If I've missed anyone I apologise, feel free to fill in some blanks. 

And finally there's you, the Demonland poster.

Thank you.

There's those of you I get along very well with and think alike with, those that have slightly different views that really make you think and those that I may rarely agree with but the bottom line is that I've learned that 95% of the people who frequent this site (That have been here longer than a day) seem to have a mutual respect for one another. Disagreements and conflict are admittedly not my forte, I used to be someone who never ever wanted to rock the boat or put noses out of joint but I really appreciate those of you that express your different view but don't make it personal or hold grudges. It's a great skill to be able to disagree with someone but then put that out of your mind when you move on to the next point which might actually be something that the same two people agree on. I'd even go as far as to say I've learned a lot from those of you who are like this so thank you. Anyone who frequents Demonland is usually highly invested and regardless of agreement or disagreement I have respect.

It's a cruddy feeling going out in straight sets two years in a row, it will burn, I will not want to watch anymore footy this year but probably will. However this is our club, we live by the sword and die by the sword. I'll never lose the passion and I doubt any of you will too. Enjoy the Grand Final if you watch it and have a great/safe Xmas and New Year period. I'm looking forward to chatting about the hot topics with all of you again in 2024. 2023 the year of the Dee rhymed so we won't have that but I'm sure we'll be in the thick of it.

GO DEES!!!

Great post - kind and thoughtful of you, as always. 

Thank your for the kind words but not sure I deserve to be signalled out as so many people contribute.   

Err...um...now I feel guilty about wanting to off-load the 'what they are saying @...' threads😐

Edited by Lucifers Hero
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 3

I’ve been posting here for 20 years. It never gets any less unhinged, but it continues to be a great resource for all things Melbourne, from the informative all the way to the deranged. 

Well done to the whole team at Demonland for keeping this site not only active but thriving. We seem to get bigger and bigger each year. 

• Like 6
  • Love 3

@Half forward flank and @The heart beats true: Somewhere else maybe? I'm sure you agree with @layzie. I sure do. Thanks @Demonland

• Like 5

@layzie ❤️💙

Thank you for creating this thread, Layz.

Andy certainly deserves to be acknowledged and thanked and this can also serve as a reminder that a paid subscription and/or a donation is totally warranted. 

Personally, It’s likely the only thread I’ll read for the time being (along with the AFLW thread). I’m hoping it stays exactly as you intended… a thank you to Demonland and various others. There’s plenty of other threads for woulda coulda shoulda. 👍🏽

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

@layzie ❤️💙

Thank you for creating this thread, Layz.

Andy certainly deserves to be acknowledged and thanked and this can also serve as a reminder that a paid subscription and/or a donation is totally warranted. 

Personally, It’s likely the only thread I’ll read for the time being (along with the AFLW thread). I’m hoping it stays exactly as you intended… a thank you to Demonland and various others. There’s plenty of other threads for woulda coulda shoulda. 👍🏽

Follow Goodwin's presser response, W - 'we won't be looking back' - and stay here with the several forwards-looking threads 😊

• Like 2
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, layzie said:

Things are still very raw and I thought about waiting a bit but there's no time like the present. When you truly love something, you need to love it when things are at their worst as well.

Demonland means a lot to me and I wanted to express my gratitude to all of you for providing the best place in town for all talk regarding our beloved Demons.

I'd firstly like to give a shoutout to Andy and the moderators for keeping Demonland running smoothly as usual and taking the podcast to yet another level with a great format and tons of great content, quick shoutout to @george_on_the_outer and @binman too for their efforts throughout the year. This became the only Melb and Footy pod I listened to this year and the analysis went to a new level. Looking forward to seeing what's in store next year guys!

To @WalkingCivilWar for providing a weekly update on the making of the banner. Something I've never been exposed to before and it was amazing to see how much time and effort goes into these things. Also thanks for giving us amazing insight to how much the Demon Army accomplishes based on the little resources they have to play with. Again, a realm I'd had very little exposure to and I'll be taking out a DA membership next year no doubt.

@kev martin Your training reports just like last year were amazing. This was another reason why I tuned out to the main footy media so much this year because I was getting so much info from these reports alone! You do all this work off your own bat and I can assure you it is much, much appreciated on DL. 

@Lucifers Hero Your workings of the contract details and number crunching is info that is not readily available in a short space of time on the interwebs. You pull this all together into one concise format and it is an amazing resource. Thanks also for the 'what they are saying' threads. There's so much respect for you here and deservedly so.

To @joeboy the 3 word reviews are like an exclamation point on a game just played. I still don't know how you front up each week and do it knowing what might be coming back in response but you do and I'm looking forward to seeing many, many more. 

Thanks also to anyone who is able to share contents of an article behind a paywall. You guys are the lords of the dance! If I've missed anyone I apologise, feel free to fill in some blanks. 

Thank you.

There's those of you I get along very well with and think alike with, those that have slightly different views that really make you think and those that I may rarely agree with but the bottom line is that I've learned that 95% of the people who frequent this site (That have been here longer than a day) seem to have a mutual respect for one another. Disagreements and conflict are admittedly not my forte, I used to be someone who never ever wanted to rock the boat or put noses out of joint but I really appreciate those of you that express your different view but don't make it personal or hold grudges. It's a great skill to be able to disagree with someone but then put that out of your mind when you move on to the next point which might actually be something that the same two people agree on. I'd even go as far as to say I've learned a lot from those of you who are like this so thank you. Anyone who frequents Demonland is usually highly invested and regardless of agreement or disagreement I have respect.

It's a cruddy feeling going out in straight sets two years in a row, it will burn, I will not want to watch anymore footy this year but probably will. However this is our club, we live by the sword and die by the sword. I'll never lose the passion and I doubt any of you will too. Enjoy the Grand Final if you watch it and have a great/safe Xmas and New Year period. I'm looking forward to chatting about the hot topics with all of you again in 2024. 2023 the year of the Dee rhymed so we won't have that but I'm sure we'll be in the thick of it.

GO DEES!!!

Sorry to dissapoint LZ but as nicely put as this is i doubt it will result in your annual subscription being waived.

Come to think of it... i haven't paid mine yet....sshhiiiTTE

• Haha 6

13 hours ago, Demon Dynasty said:

Sorry to dissapoint LZ but as nicely put as this is i doubt it will result in your annual subscription being waived.

Come to think of it... i haven't paid mine yet....sshhiiiTTE

Damn, there's the first of the omissions. Thanks DD for all your work in the Stat Files thread for player rankings.

• Clap 3

I rarely get to go to games, being stuck up here in Sydney, and whenever I do, part of me imagines that the other Demons around are also somewhere on this site.

Sitting way up in the back for the game against Sydney a few weeks ago, my wife and I were set up behind a row of people who had a real atmosphere of sophisticated knowledge of the game combined with maximum commitment to being smart-[bleep]s. A real country football vibe that was so refreshing compared to having to listen to channel 7.

Also, seen that day; a HUGE DUDE who could probably crush a cat's skull with one hand - looked a bit like if Liev Schreiber got real and hardened up. But then, he was being a proper gentleman all game, and as the crowd was filing out my wife was getting into a full adorable asian-girl dance mode for the second (third?) playing of the club song and this giant dude just started joining as he went past.

I love my club, I love its community, and Demonland punches well above it's weight for building that community.

As I said, thanks to Demonland, even from a distance every Demon in the crowd feels like they might be in on the same jokes.

• Like 6
  • Love 1
  • Clap 5

On 9/16/2023 at 1:32 PM, layzie said:

Thank you.

GO DEES!!!

We are lucky to have Demonland adds massively to my understanding of all things Demons and enjoyment!

A huge Thank you to everyone mentioned above for doing a fantastic job and displaying a passion and time commitment that can only be loved and admired!

Go Demons & Demonland!

PS-Demonland also kick straight!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Little Goffy said:

I rarely get to go to games, being stuck up here in Sydney, and whenever I do, part of me imagines that the other Demons around are also somewhere on this site.

Sitting way up in the back for the game against Sydney a few weeks ago, my wife and I were set up behind a row of people who had a real atmosphere of sophisticated knowledge of the game combined with maximum commitment to being smart-[bleep]s. A real country football vibe that was so refreshing compared to having to listen to channel 7.

Also, seen that day; a HUGE DUDE who could probably crush a cat's skull with one hand - looked a bit like if Liev Schreiber got real and hardened up. But then, he was being a proper gentleman all game, and as the crowd was filing out my wife was getting into a full adorable asian-girl dance mode for the second (third?) playing of the club song and this giant dude just started joining as he went past.

I love my club, I love its community, and Demonland punches well above it's weight for building that community.

As I said, thanks to Demonland, even from a distance every Demon in the crowd feels like they might be in on the same jokes.

Good points. I'll give an example of how we are, in fact, the best supporters. I went to the game on Friday night with my son. We sat in the MCC members, surrounded by mostly by Melbourne supporters (for a change). We were near the goals where the Carton cheer squad were sitting and to which Carlton were kicking.  A Carlton player marked , but his shot on goal missed. 'Hear that?' I said to my son. 'No, what?' he replied.  'Exactly, I said. Nothing. Wait until Melbourne has a shot and misses, and tell me what you hear.'  

Needless to say, we didn't have to wait long. The boos started loudly when one of our players had the audacity to take a mark in our forward line. Of course he missed, and the cheering was deafening. He looked at me and smiled and said 'I see what you mean'. 

'And that, my son, is why we barrack for the team we do, and not them or any other rabble'. 

Edited by Palace Dees
wrong wording
  • Love 8

5 hours ago, layzie said:

Damn, there's the first of the omissions. Thanks DD for all your work in the Stat Files thread for player rankings.

No worries LZ & for your contributions also.  Enjoy the off season ✌🏼👏🏼

• Thanks 1