Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POSTGAME: SF vs Carlton

Demonland

27 minutes ago, 420 said:

Commentary team was an out-and-out disgrace, I have never heard more one-sided commentary on a supposed neutral broadcast in my entire life.

Well they do want to keep their accreditation.....

• Love 1
  • Angry 1

2 hours ago, BDA said:

I'm depressed again after reading that. but its 100% true.

Written with a very fatalistic, despondent, exasperated tone. I reckon Tim Miller is a Dees supporter. 

Nah, worse, poor bugger is a Dogs supporter. It does mean he understands though.

11 hours ago, everythingsablur said:

The culture needs a massive shake-up. And goal kicking practice. 

Not sure about a massive shake-up, but something hasn’t seemed to be there as much since 2021. We’re not selfless and playing for each other like we did. Not celebrating the one-percenters, picking each other off the ground, patting each other on the back. 

• Like 2
  • Thinking 1

12 hours ago, Super Sub Schache said:

Straight Sets Simon has wasted yet another year through poor list management and team selection.

Schache the sub and wasn’t even used, while we had ruck contests with no one going up and Grundy in the stands.

Gawn totally exposed their backline with his marking when he was forward, we could have had a lot more of that with Grundy in the team.

This is the least surprising result, lost at team selection yet again.

Grundy can rack off. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bing181 said:

They took their chances. We didn't. More I50, more shots on goal, still lost.

Our mids were pantsed in the centre clearances. 8 to 1 at one stage . Embarrassing. 

Our poor goal kicking is 100 per cent a problem in the mind. 

Wait till we make finals again.

It will be worse.

Move over cfc.... We are the new collie wobbles.

It's a worry.

Four in a row. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rab D Nesbitt said:

I don't understand the calls to replace Goody. He took a different approach from last year by promoting youth (which worked) and not playing banged up players (mostly). If nothing else he deserves a lot of credit for playing two of our most maligned players who helped us secure a top four finish (Melksham) and almost gained us a preliminary final place (Smith). He also persisted with Petts as a forward who I think (injuries notwithstanding) could well be the tall, strong, mobile presence we need up there. 

I love how he gives the press corps almost nothing and backs our boys publicly. He's the reason all our stars committed to long term deals and why the best from other clubs want to join us. The Gawn - Grundy combo didn't ultimately work because neither are great resting forwards but having BG helped us win games when Max missed a month. We'll also look after him in any trade that sees him leave and we'll lose no capital or friends in doing it. 

We lost 9 games by a collective total of 81 points. That's 9 points a game on average and one of those was by three times that figure. Injury deprived us of Petts & Melky at the pointy end of the season and Ben Brown's degenerative knee will likely see him hang up his boots, leaving us to rely on a very underdone T-Mac and Fritta who was playing with a plate in his foot. Far from ideal yet we almost completely dominated territory and possession in both our finals. I'm sure Macrae and Voss both feel like they've won the lottery right now. 

I really don't know much about the tactical side of AFL football tbh and lean a lot on some of the regulars on here to help make sense of what I see each week. Maybe my one strength is not making daft comments about things I don't really understand. 

I like your comment about stars recommitting and non Dee players wanting to come to us. Goody and Co must be doing something right! 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, leave it to deever said:

Our poor goal kicking is 100 per cent a problem in the mind. 

Wait till we make finals again.

It will be worse.

Move over cfc.... We are the new collie wobbles.

It's a worry.

Four in a row. 

You're in a spiral deever. today is depressing but don't do this to yourself. its just a game at the end of the day

its a beautiful day so i'm heading out now with the family. Watch our womens team later. life goes on

• Like 4
  • Love 1

10 minutes ago, leave it to deever said:

Does some strange Hitchcock music play in poor Max's head when he takes a shot on goal. He looks terrified.

He was rattled by the time he has those shots, pittonet putting his hands up after gawn took the mark made me chuckle, Max looked like he was going to kill him. Can't blame him, bloke is the most scragged in the league and the maggots never see it

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, leave it to deever said:

Our mids were pantsed in the centre clearances. 8 to 1 at one stage . Embarrassing. 

A big worry going forward is if Gawn can’t grab it from the middle he’s basically a traffic cone in their.

Clarry lost his chemistry with the other mids and was rusty. 

Whoever the back up ruck next year is needs to do more centre bounces for Max before pushing forward.

And we need pace in there, have to commit to Pickett. I’d love to see Chandler who’s underrated at stoppages. And some fresh talent. 

A lot of disdain for Goodwin in the immediate aftermath.  He should rightfully cop some heat for a couple of things.  The choice of sub which rests with him and the match committee was the wrong one twice. That hurt us.  More damning is the inability of Goody and the MC to absorb Einstein's messaging around insanity.  And this lies equally with some of the poor decision makers we have on the field.  Our constant need to bomb long at every opportunity - Petracca a lovely clearance in the third when we had all momentum kicks it long for Weitering to intercept 15 out from our goals, when he had ample opportunity to lower the eyes and find a target 30 out. Just one of many one the night and over the season.  The fundamental difference between our side and those that fulfil their potential is great decision makers.  Elite ball users who instinctively do the right thing with it.  If you recall the Hawthorn 3 peat team, it's feasible to say they were not the best side over the season in any of their flag years yet managed to do it three times in a row because of the class and decision making of an array of players. That's partly coaching and partly list management.

The other thing that Goodwin and the other coaches need to ask themselves is why didn't they pay respect to Walsh, who absolutely dominated the game and ran rings around our midfield. I don't like his stubborn attitude towards this.  In 2021 he had Harmes sit on Liberatore mid season and it worked a treat.  I'd have thought a similar role for Viney might have been worth some consideration and implementation. Walsh was the absolute difference in the game from a Carlton point of view.  Class, poise, winning his own contests and spreading well from others.

Something he did right was getting Spargo back in.  Our best deliverer inside 50 and one of the better footy brains in the side. 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Rab D Nesbitt said:

I don't understand the calls to replace Goody. 

We supposedly built a team that is primed for finals footy.

We have lost 4 in a row.

We consistently shoot ourselves in the foot with accuracy , bombing the ball into the fwd50. We have been doing this for 5 years.

We do dumb things and keep repeating them

Our selection policy is a shambles.

We are unbelievably predictable

Two finals we should have won and yet here we are.

How is it the Kingsley takes a team thats 3 and 7 and wins a final as well as winning at 11 separate venues?

How is it that Voss was in the gun to be sacked and here we are 

The mistakes are all our own. And we keep repeating them

And you don't understand calls for him to be replaced? At this point we will have another 5 years of this and then we'll say what a wasted era

• Like 3
  • Clap 1

I haven't been able to bring myself to read much of this thread.

Shellshocked and I keep saying to myself and others, it is only footy, not a big world problem.

Similarities to last year's finish, but different problems. 2022, bathwater and some arrogance in the lead up, compared to, being the better team and not being able to execute.

We aren't a complete team, and we fail at adjusting to our inadequacies. 

What happened to our bang, bang, bang game style?

We used to be able to develop overlap with handballs and short passes, our long kicking game does not create "quality" forward entries.

Where was the on-field leadership?

I thought we had focused on winning at the "G". 

Last quarter we looked tired. The emotional week got to them.

Many if's and but's about the game, especially if we had a good lead already established, given our scoring opportunities. 

We are in good shape for 2024. 

Loved our H&A season, much easier going to the footy when we didn't have the pressure of having to win. 

Perhaps that's the problem, no necessity to win, our games were more about pecking order.

Wish we took a leaf from the Women as they can find the way to win, playing with the will and the structure required. 

Edited by kev martin
  • Like 4
  • Clap 1

5 minutes ago, kev martin said:

I haven't been able to bring myself to read much of this thread.

Shellshocked and I keep saying to myself and others, it is only footy, not a big world problem.

Similarities to last year's finish, but different problems. 2022, bathwater and some arrogance in the lead up, compared to, being the better team and not being able to execute.

We aren't a complete team, and we fail at adjusting to our inadequacies. 

What happened to our bang, bang, bang game style?

We used to be able to develop overlap with handballs and short passes, our long kicking game does not create "quality" forward entries.

Where was the on-field leadership?

I thought we had focused on winning at the "G". 

Last quarter we looked tired. The emotional week got to them.

Many if's and but's about the game, especially if we had a good lead already established, given our scoring opportunities. 

We are in good shape for 2024. 

Loved our H&A season, much easier going to the footy when we didn't have the pressure of having to win. 

Perhaps that's the problem, no necessity to win, our games were more about pecking order.

Wish we took a leaf from the Women as they can find the way to win, playing with the will and structure required. 

Maybe that's the issue in itself.

This whole focus of winning at the G just puts more added pressure and expectation.

Focus on winning a bloody final first.

• Clap 1

25 minutes ago, BDA said:

You're in a spiral deever. today is depressing but don't do this to yourself. its just a game at the end of the day

its a beautiful day so i'm heading out now with the family. Watch our womens team later. life goes on

Me too, gonna try and play some mini golf. Enjoy the sun!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Wodjathefirst said:

I’m guessing out of the 96k that went to the game it seemed they had 60k and we had at best 36k.  Sort of sad.

I was there and reckon those numbers are about right. Sad that they had so many more supporters there that us, but the quality of Melbourne's supporters was outstanding. Melbourne's 36K was louder than Carlton's 60K for most of the night. Carlton were pretty quiet for most of the night. The only time I can recall Carlton were louder than Melbourne was when they kicked the goal to get in front right at the end of the last quarter. I thought the Melbourne supporters at the ground last night were fantastic! 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, greenwaves said:

Does anyone know why we didn't contest the ruck on three occasions last night?

Having Petracca contest the ruck 3 times was flat out embarrassing. Making a play for an AA ruckman only to stamp his papers before finals is one to move on from quickly.

The holes in the list are obvious and need filling. 

• Like 1

Bad omens everywhere

Blues had a general warm up, our forwards all kicking for goal as if their lives depended on it

Last week Pies practiced bouncing the ball and other moves to watch the ball move off the ground. We make no practice adjustments.

And then we have a welcome to country recognising 65,000 indigenous ownership before the National anthem singing , we are young and free..

• Clap 1

1 minute ago, layzie said:

Having Petracca contest the ruck 3 times was flat out embarrassing. Making a play for an AA ruckman only to stamp his papers before finals is one to move on from quickly.

Not as big as the holes between the selectors ears.

• Haha 2

Pretty much the consensus view from neutral football mates of mine was that we actually blew our chances last week. Had we won then, we were a serious chance. Had we won this week it was going to be tough to get there. 

Poor kicking in both games cost us the games.

They all unanimously said that the umpiring last night did us no favours whatsoever. 

The only thing I’ll add in our outs also did us no favours.

it’s a close competition. We failed this year. There is always next year. GO DEES!

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, layzie said:

It was poor.  We basically conceded any opportunity for a clearance goal inside 50.  Surely a better strategy would've been for Gawn to contest at least some of those and for McDonald or Smith to drop back.  

• Like 1