• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

PREGAME: Rd 24 vs Sydney

Demonland

16 hours ago, titan_uranus said:

If he’s fit, Fritsch for Laurie. Tough for Bill but IMO he’s the least undeserving

We need to stick with Smith forward and Tomlinson back. Can’t keep flipping Smith between the two. He needs to be given a chance to make that forward spot his own. Kicked 2 today, which was a good return. 

Tough standard. If he'd been the least deserving, I could understand, but the least underserving?

• Haha 3

Out: Laurie In: Fritsch 

It seems like a lot of the calls about VFL players are based on the stats not actually watching the game.
TMac did better than he has most of this year, got a few balls at ground level, took a few good marks and kicked a few goals but still looks in need of at least one more good VFL game before AFL, possibly two, if we get them. It was hardly a dominant display and overall Casey’s loss was very disappointing, after a good start they faded badly with the main issue being turnovers trying to move the ball from half back. Part of this issue was that TMac and Grundy failed to present well up the wing so we were always trying an extra handball in traffic.

Hibbo going off possibly concussed contributed to this, he was playing well. Won’t be back til first final, no way we’re risking him now after being conservative with him all year.

I rarely pot MFC players but Laurie was ordinary yesterday, very ordinary, dropped numerous marks, had turnovers from his first four disposals and missed easy kicks which is supposed to be his game. He did some good pressure things in the last and finally hit some targets but he’s out of the team if we’re serious next week. We also need a look at how Fritsch and Melksham work together forward. I imagine it means tweaks to the Kozzie/Chandler/ANB setup and how much we play Trac forward. 

I’m also in the settle Smith forward Tomlinson back camp. The hyperbole on here around Tomlinson is extraordinary, Hawthorn kicked 9 goals yesterday, only 8 of which were with Tomlinson on the ground, his direct opponent Koschizke literally didn’t score! And most of those goals in the first quarter were when our defenders had no chance with the lack of pressure we had on Hawthorn’s transition. 

Interesting week as if Collingwood and any one of Port or Brisbane win a loss is much, much better for us.

• Like 4
  • Clap 1

I'm not convinced Tomlinson was subbed out because he was performing badly. Schache had to be brought on and the only logical place for him was forward, given that should he be needed for a full game it's most likely in that role. That means one of Smith, Melksham or van Rooyen had to lose their spot as a forward. If Smith had been subbed out as a direct swap, the message to Smith might have been more emotionally distressing than keeping him on the ground. So, to get Schache on and to keep Smith on, Tomlinson had to go.  (of course, I'm assuming the there was no chance that van Rooyen or Melksham would be subbed out.)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

I'm not convinced Tomlinson was subbed out because he was performing badly. Schache had to be brought on and the only logical place for him was forward, given that should he be needed for a full game it's most likely in that role. That means one of Smith, Melksham or van Rooyen had to lose their spot as a forward. If Smith had been subbed out as a direct swap, the message to Smith might have been more emotionally distressing than keeping him on the ground. So, to get Schache on and to keep Smith on, Tomlinson had to go.  (of course, I'm assuming the there was no chance that van Rooyen or Melksham would be subbed out.)

Why would they care about Smith’s emotional state and not Tommo’s?

Tommo was subbed because the Hawks went small AND because he was already battling with the mobility of the Hawks talls, the last thing he needed was to match up on a small. 

• Like 2

Just now, DeeSpencer said:

Why would they care about Smith’s emotional state and not Tommo’s?

Tommo was subbed because the Hawks went small AND because he was already battling with the mobility of the Hawks talls, the last thing he needed was to match up on a small. 

Every player is different and I wouldn't know which ones are more prone to worry than others. But, Smith has had trouble locking down a position in the team and been subbed on and off many times. Building resilience in his mindset may be just as important as improving his football IQ (which still needs work).

• Like 1

I'm giving the below a crack for a week, if it doesn't work, McDonald a chance for a first final 

1 x power fwd - JVR

3 x medium - Fritsch, Melk, Smith 

Melksham and Fritsch smart enough to not get in each other's way. Smith, not so sure. 

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, adonski said:

I'm giving the below a crack for a week, if it doesn't work, McDonald a chance for a first final 

1 x power fwd - JVR

Melksham and Fritsch smart enough to not get in each other's way. Smith, not so sure. 

JVR takes the front of the pack, Melk takes a sit on him, Fritsch jumps on Melk, Smith leaps on Fritsch and Kossie flies over the top. It’s perfect 

• Like 3
  • Haha 17
  • Clap 1

It is obvious we are still trying to settle our forward line. Hence why Josh Schache was given a chance (and unfortunately failed).

I would like to see Tom McDonald play this week against the Swans. Even if it is as the "super sub".

I think we can beat the Swans at the SCG this week. But it will definitely be a massive challenge.

8 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

JVR takes the front of the pack, Melk takes a sit on him, Fritsch jumps on Melk, Smith leaps on Fritsch and Kossie flies over the top. It’s perfect 

And gawny rests forward to stay down for the crumb.

Edited by Nascent
  • Haha 5
  • Clap 3

Was excited to see Schache in haha he didn't do a lot but still excited, not sure why, my neighbor doesn't rate him much.

Fritsch comes in, Laurie out, leave Tommo down back we win with him there he needs to stay.  

Maybe Tmac for Schache and then Chandler the sub?  He'd be a good sub, or Smith back to sub even...would be wary of Tmac being able to be effective for the whole game but just because he hasn't played AFL for a while.  Great if he can turn it on!

53 minutes ago, adonski said:

1 x power fwd - JVR

And perhaps Kozzie stops flying for the never-to-occur MOTYear, and plays small forward front and centre of a pack that he excels at - when he does it that is.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, brendan said:

Ins: fritta, McDonald, Grundy, Dunstan

out: Laurie, petracca, gawn, schache 

I know goody will want to play the best side but geez it would be tempting to rest a few, would even rest may, Come finals petracca gawn and May are our most important players 

Not in favour of resting players. We have rarely had a settled line up all season so need every opportunity to build synergy in the team. 

We might pull a couple of late outs IF by the time we play, we know that Pies are locked into 1st and Brisbane are 2nd, therefore finishing 4th would be the better result.

If Brisbane do finish 1st, or we have any chance to get to 2nd (which is unlikely since Richmond won't beat Port), we will go all out to try and win.

• Like 3

To my mind...

Fritsch, fitness permitting we must get a look at him in the forward in combination with Melksham...

Smith > Tomlinson (Smith moves to the backline to make room for Fritsch) 

Spargo > Laurie

Out: Tomlinson, Laurie 

In: Fritsch, Spargo 

It does leave us small up forward, but also very lithe...Not against trying TMac but working him in is harder...Sub? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, In Harmes Way said:

I’d like to see this Adam, but not sure the SCG is big enough for multiple points of entry into F50 to warrant three marking options (I think we need to go 2 with 4 crumbers). 
I’m not even sure it’s a good dress rehearsal, because of the size of the ground. Good opponent though.

Very good call mate. I still think we'll use next week to experiment with the squad.

Tommo isn't perfect, but when he's in the side Lever plays so much better. IMO the positives of Lever playing at his best outweigh any negatives that Tomlinson brings.

I'd play both Smith and Tomlinson for flexibility . If Tommo is playing poorly, he can be subbed off and Smith shifts down back. If Smith isn't having an impact, he can be subbed off for a midfielder or forward.

It's then just a question of who the sub is. I like Hibberd for that role but it's risky. Otherwise, McDonald is good insurance for the forward line and the ruck.

• Like 2

The Casey game is played at noon on Saturday at Casey.

Who plays there and who go as travelling emergencies to Sydney

BTW If we win we play Williamstown the following week

PS: Appears that they may have changed to game time to Sunday at 2:45pm (VFL.. the comp that keeps giving Nothing )

Edited by Diamond_Jim

16 hours ago, Timothy Reddan-A'Blew said:

I want Tomlinson to succeed (as I do all our players), particularly after his cruel 2021 after early great signs, but...

On what it is claimed he does to release Lever, I note that in Jake's biggest intercept quarter today, the last, Adam had been subbed off.

Early, too, it looked like body and brain are starting to let him down: Koschitzke(?) got the jump on him more than once.

Got some sympathy, though, for the Tommo-as-sub idea (subject to those other tantalising 'ins' prospects...)

Interesting point Tim. Lever had approx 69% of his total marks and 63% of his disposals after Tommo went off (with Smith going back to replace Tommo). Could this simply imply that we need 3 talls down back, with the third tall not necessarily Tommo? Could be Smith, could be Disco Turner? Disco had a very good game at Casey by all accounts - is he worth a try? ('cause Tommo did look pretty slow on a few occasions). I also prefer Smith playing forward. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

Can we get Garry Lyon out there to be at the base?

• Like 1
  • Clap 1