PREGAME: Rd 22 vs Carlton

Demonland

4 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Grundy is a more than adequate ruck replacement but he's useless as a forward.

Play to your overall strengths not necessarily individual strengths.

Would you prefer Schache or Smith up forward... the cupboard is bare

We've been playing to our strengths by playing Gawn as the main ruckman majority of the game.

Very silky to then completely change it up by having Grundy ruck more and Gawn forward?

Since when has that worked?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, dazzledavey36 said:

We've been playing to our strengths by playing Gawn as the main ruckman majority of the game.

Very silky to then completely change it up by having Grundy ruck more and Gawn forward?

So you're trading Grundy because we may as well.

Who is your forward... Smith or Schache ?

21 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

So you're trading Grundy because we may as well.

Who is your forward... Smith or Schache ?

Smith, JVR, Fritsch, Melksham, Petracca, Pickett, ANB, Spargo, Grundy……..We have options. Gawn will ruck big minutes in finals as that’s where he is most damaging. He’s an Ace in the hand, you don’t play him out of position. 

Sitting second or better 3 years in a row now we are at the pointy end.

we are doing a lot right, enjoy this time,

much better than the 70’s

• Like 18
  • Haha 1
  • Clap 2

Out- Couch Potatoes   
In - Loud, passionate Melbourne supporters

It may be Carlton’s home game but it is still our home ground. Can’t let their supporters become the 19th man.  

We are playing to try and stay 2nd on the ladder to snag a home final.  Be nice if some of our supporters who are contemplating turning up to watch ‘their team’ in the finals, have a practice run and turn up a few weeks earlier.

• Like 13

26 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

The one thing we haven’t tried is splitting the game in half.

Grundy takes the bulk of the ruck for first half where the game is often in tight and he’s useful as a clearance player. 

Gawn plays mostly forward in the give a contest role where he’s likely better than anyone we have.

We then sub Grundy off after half time for an impact forward (not sure we have one but maybe J Smith, Schache or Melk once Fritsch is back). Someone with some forward craft who can find space as the game opens up.

Gawn then rucks 80-90% of the second half. 

The big issue is an in game injury but it might be the best way to get value from Grundy, not completely mess with Gawn and have a functioning forward line.

• Like 3

Out:  Petty, Harmes, Smith, Hibberd 

In: Schache, Oliver, Thomlinson

I think Schache could be a good option, but im not confident in any options really.  Hibbo unlucky and Smith back to his sub role which is now more important to us with Petty out.

29 minutes ago, 640MD said:

Sitting second or better 3 years in a row now we are at the pointy end.

we are doing a lot right, enjoy this time,

much better than the 70’s

And most of 80's and 90's.
Yo-yo 2000's.
Garbage 2010's.

Yeah ... It was rough.

Edited by Fork 'em
  • Like 2

I think I'm done trying to experiment with Brown or Grundy as forward options. We know what we're going to get with them.

Grundy on form alone in the VFL does not deserve a recall. His last VFL game playing mainly as a forward he was unsighted all game until they had to throw him in the ruck in the last quarter against Williamstown.

Has zero awareness as a forward and his leading patterns was non existent. A hard pass.

Even hearing Goodwin at today's press conference today he didn't sound all that convincing that Grundy would be the replacement. 

It may seem they could turn to Schache who is known to pinch hit in the ruck.

• Like 1

Probably need to go a little smaller in the back line against Carlton.  Ground ball in defence will be crucial. Their small forwards have been pretty prolific.  Martin, Motlop and Owies all hit the scoreboard again today. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Swooper1987 said:

Probably need to go a little smaller in the back line against Carlton.  Ground ball in defence will be crucial. Their small forwards have been pretty prolific.  Martin, Motlop and Owies all hit the scoreboard again today. 

Hibbo is a must for me in this game. His ground ball work is so good. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Swooper1987 said:

They're my concern as well.
They'll terrorise the backline when the ball's on the ground.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Queanbeyan Demon said:

Assuming Clayton is available, he comes in for Petty.

With close to the best footy brain in the side, Clayton plays forward, occasionally rotating with Christian. Engine room stays the same as its been for the last five weeks.

Deez win by seven goals.

7 goals? Wtf?

1 hour ago, Wodjathefirst said:

Out- Couch Potatoes   
In - Loud, passionate Melbourne supporters

It may be Carlton’s home game but it is still our home ground. Can’t let their supporters become the 19th man.  

We are playing to try and stay 2nd on the ladder to snag a home final.  Be nice if some of our supporters who are contemplating turning up to watch ‘their team’ in the finals, have a practice run and turn up a few weeks earlier.

Well I’m coming down with a mate from Brisbane to watch on sat night at the G so that’s 2 extra Dees supporters there!

• Love 3

I’d love for the FD to consider Schache. He can do backup ruck which means JVR can stay at home in the F50 more. 

Brown is done, Grundy back and doing more forward won’t work. Tmac hasn’t been the same since 2021.

For me it’s either Schache or maybe Smith and go for an ultra mobile forward 50.

I’d say to Schache we’ll play you against Hawthorn and it’s your opportunity to win a flag. If that doesn’t give him the missing 5% then nothing will. Ball in your court son.

Having watched Casey quite a bit this year as a forward he just drifts in and out of games too much. As the previous poster said he’s a good back up ruck but we need 6 marks and 3 goals from him as well as 4 tackles, 4 assists, some pack smashing and a bit of lip. Don’t think he has it but I’d give him a roll. 

Edited by Roost it far
  • Thinking 1

2 minutes ago, layzie said:

I'm not confident about Schache at all. He's not what we need in that contesting role sorry.

I don’t disagree but we recruited him, he knows how we play, he knows what the role is. It just seems a chance worth taking atm. 

@Freddy Fuschia on your "Form Swings"

Let me give it a try.

In Rd1 the Blues had a draw with Richmond; In Rd2 they beat Geelong by 8 (Cats wasn't good in that period); In Rd3 they beat GWS by 10 (GWS wasn't doing well in that period either, they lost to WC by 19 in Rd2); In Rd4 they beat NM by 23. After that, they started losing... On the field, the players seemed unhappy about something, could it be the game plan? Moving on to Rd13, Monday-the King’s Birthday game, Goodwin and co had prepared a very good plan, we controlled most of the game, and beat the Pies by 4. Voss looked on: “Haha, you guys beat the benchmark, the game plan must be good… okay, let me borrow some good ideas from it”. Over the next 5 days, Voss had to work his butt off but managed to get everything done. Then their Sunday‘s game arrived, and their players performed well…

The rest is the story.