PREGAME: Rd 21 vs North Melbourne

Demonland

27 minutes ago, Return to Glory said:

Tipping we don't win by over 30 points and it's a lot tougher than most expect. Rest smest. Best side available please

Personally, i'm in the managing players camp.

As Demon Dynasty notes, any best 22 player managed won't be doing any resting. Like Smith doing laps after the Tigers game, they will still have to the ks they would have otherwise done in the match.

But the advantage is they don't have to be on and off a plane, or stay overnight in a hotel. And the risk of injury is much, much lower (ie no risk of impact injury).

And perhaps even more importantly they don't have to worry about post match recovery (eg from bumps, bruises and soreness) interfering with their prep and program heading into the challenging - and likely super critical (re chances of top 20 - Blues game. 

They also get a chance to freshen up mentally - which might benefit some players. 

Get the load without the risk.

There is another important element too i reckon - its give the club the opportunity to reward players at Casey for good form and/or give some young player some exposure at AFL level.

And given any player coming in will have a specific role in the system, they get chance to practice that role at AFL level, (which might useful in the even we cop some some injuries ahead of finals) and that mitigates some of the downside of new players coming in

And potentially a couple of fresh, motivated players who want to impress might actually help us put the Roos to the sword. 

Edited by binman
  • Like 17
  • Clap 1

1 minute ago, binman said:

As Demon Dynasty notes, any best 22 player managed won't be dong any resting. Like Smith doing laps after the Tigers game, they will still have to the ks they would have dome in the match.

But the advantage is that don't have to be on and off a plane, or stay overnight in a hotel. And the risk of injury is much, much lower (ie no risk of match injury).

And perhaps even more importantly they don't have to worry about post match recovery (eg from bumps, brusnes and soreness) interfering with their prep and program heading into the challenging - and likely super critical (re chances of top 20 - Blues game. 

They also get a chance to freshen up mentally - which might benefit some players. 

There is another important element too i reckon - its give the club the opportunity to reward players at Casey for good form and/or give some young player some exposure at AFL level.

And given any player coming in will have a specific role in the system, they get chance to practice that role at AFL level, (which might useful in the even we cop some some injuries ahead of finals) and that mitigates some of the downside of new players coming in

And potentially a couple of fresh, motivated players who want to impress might actually help us put the Roos to the sword. 

Binman, you may well be right. I guess I'm coming from a place of paranoia where I can still recall the 'blowing like a gale' game.... except the year of it :)

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Return to Glory said:

Binman, you may well be right. I guess I'm coming from a place of paranoia where I can still recall the 'blowing like a gale' game.... except the year of it :)

weather for Hobart on Sunday is light winds (15-20kph)

Of course last Sunday there was little wind at the MCG and it blew a gale at Casey

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, binman said:

As Demon Dynasty notes, any best 22 player managed won't be doing any resting. Like Smith doing laps after the Tigers game, they will still have to the ks they would have otherwise done in the match.

But the advantage is they don't have to be on and off a plane, or stay overnight in a hotel. And the risk of injury is much, much lower (ie no risk of impact injury).

And perhaps even more importantly they don't have to worry about post match recovery (eg from bumps, bruises and soreness) interfering with their prep and program heading into the challenging - and likely super critical (re chances of top 20 - Blues game. 

One of the problems I see with the "resting" scenario is if the replacement performs well. For example, if Hibberd comes in for McVee and Hibberd plays very well, what happens the next week? Does McVee come back? Who for? I'm concerned about the psychological damage that can be done to players who are told they are being rested who fear they may miss out on getting back in time for finals.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Return to Glory said:

Burned into the memory that one. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 7/31/2023 at 8:51 AM, Mister Ed said:

It’s a vexed question if Clarrie is fit. Giving him a game against North might not be such a bad idea after so many weeks out. It would be worse if he was thrown in rusty against the Blues.

I would suggest that if he's named, he will be 100% ready to go. I think we can all agree that the coaching and fitness staff won't be taking the slightest risk with him.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

One of the problems I see with the "resting" scenario is if the replacement performs well. For example, if Hibberd comes in for McVee and Hibberd plays very well, what happens the next week? Does McVee come back? Who for? I'm concerned about the psychological damage that can be done to players who are told they are being rested who fear they may miss out on getting back in time for finals.

Fair points.

I guess that comes down to communication and expectation management.

• Like 2

I totally get the don't disrespect the oppo argument as think it is a very valid one.

And I would probably not advocate managing plsyers earlier in the season.

But playing the roos is a unique opportunity in the sense that for all the any club can win one the day, that does not really apply in this scenario because they are historically bad and the gap between where we at right now and them is huge.

We have finals in 5 weeks. Hard to see us cruising, and so f ir helps us in any way in our tilt for a flag then the I think the potential benefits out weigh the risks.

We didn't have this opportunity last year. The cats did.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

Those blokes go to a workshop run by Collective Minds. All good.

• Haha 2
  • Shocked 1

5 minutes ago, Queanbeyan Demon said:

Those blokes go to a workshop run by Collective Minds. All good.

Only if there's fire walking

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Roger Mellie said:

On top of being [censored], the Kangas get to travel to Hobart after playing in Perth.

Happy to manage players that need it.

And it was a tough, close game too - which won't help their cause.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Diamond_Jim said:

weather for Hobart on Sunday is light winds (15-20kph)

Of course last Sunday there was little wind at the MCG and it blew a gale at Casey

It was actually quite swirly at the g

• Like 1

1 hour ago, old dee said:

If we don’t rest Max this week we are nuts.

Didn’t he have a chunk of the season off with injury?
I am all for resting blokes the next few weeks heading in but Max seems like he is running on top of the ground atm. Viney and Petracca would be the ones I look at first. Viney because he is like Rusty Crowe in the 3rd act of Gladiator and Petracca because he is The Best Player In The Game right now.

Maybe Grundy can come in but I would be reticent to do that unless we are really willing to go in with three talls or willing to drop JVR. False hope otherwise.

• Like 3

2-3 players carrying injuries or significant niggles with potential to develop into injuries should be managed

Being cherry ripe round 1 of finals is more important than even winning this game 

• Like 4

I wouldn't be against rotating 2 - 3 players that could do with a light week but also wouldn't want us to take this game lightly. It's Clarko's first match back and North will likely play with emotion on what is essentially a suburban ground with a howling wind. North will keep us honest and we will need to bring intensity early to control the game and make sure we don't find ourselves playing catchup. Melbourne by 60 - 80 points.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

Disagree to a point.  The managing players doesn't just need to occur over 1 week and a different player can go out to allow the rested player back in.

The sort of thing I'd envisage is perhaps Out McVee, In Hibbo against the Roos.  Perhaps Tomo goes out against Carlton and McVee comes back in.  The following week against Hawthorn I'd be resting Hibbo, because he does seem to be requiring that additional management this season due to his age not recoving from niggles so we'll, but I'd want him fresh, available and raring to go for finals, because he's a compeditive beast and proven finals performer.  Could probably make a similar case for resting Melksham against the Roos and possibly even Viney against Hawthorn if Clarry is back.

• Like 1