• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

PREGAME: Rd 21 vs North Melbourne

Demonland

I watched Goody on the 360 show from the YouTube site.

I found his comments about Yze the most interesting. He said he looks after, "mids, stoppages, and offense ". Is that the change we are observing with the ball entry into the 50?

He was asked about having a strong discussion with Gawny at half-time, against Richmond. Leadership, and home truths about effort (I think), made a difference to our game and possibly the season.

Edited by kev martin
  • Like 3

Rolled Gold opportunity to rest some of our mature champs who've had a big year plus Salo for a freshen up as well (and not saying Salo isn't a champ just that he's had a somewhat diff pathway coming back in)

Set us up beautifully for the final run home

Would love to see May get the chance as well but cant see who covers for him at Casey.

Grundy for Gawn

Dunstan for Viney

Hibbo for Salem with Hibbo taking on McVee's role and Mcvee taking on the higher up Salo role.

Sparrow should be back for Harmes

Edited by Demon Dynasty
  • Like 1

The talk of resting players against North doesn’t wash with me. We aren’t playing them at the ‘G, we’re playing them in Hobart at a ground where they have become accustomed to playing which will even things out somewhat. Still think we win convincingly but you just don’t flirt with good form.

Only changes that I would like to see are Harmes and/or Jordon for Oliver and/or Sparrow depending on the fitness of the latter two. Happy for Hibberd to find his way in as well, perhaps for one of Jordon/Harmes if both Clarry and Sparrow aren’t quite ready.

• Like 5

Why on earth would we want to rest anyone? The forward combination of Petty/van Rooyen/Melksham has worked. Just once. They need time to prove they are the real deal and the midfield combination has to be part of that work in progress. Of course, if better players are available they should be picked when available (ie, Oliver/Fristch/Sparrow for Harmes/Woewodin/Jordon, or whoever).

• Like 6

Everything is a risk. I say we rest those who we then want to 100% for the rest of the season. 

Anyone watch North on Sunday? My god, they are Shiite!

• Facepalm 1

38 minutes ago, ben russell said:

The talk of resting players against North doesn’t wash with me.

Nor I.  You don't flirt with your form nor take any game for granted.

Players will get a week off before the finals if anybody needs a rest.

10 minutes ago, Demonstone said:

Nor I.  You don't flirt with your form nor take any game for granted.

Players will get a week off before the finals if anybody needs a rest.

Spot on,  and our big threat to 2nd spot is Port and it will/may come down to %.  We are 15% ahead and unlikely to see Port bridge that gap but shouldn't be risked they do.  Lets use last 4 weeks to lock away the forward solution for sure.  

We can do subtle rests this week with Sparrow for Viney for example. But only if Jack needs it.

• Like 1

The obsession some posters have for resting players is based on nothing.  MFC is not running a nursing home.

Resting Salem is based on what logic??? Viney ,May and Gawn play if not injured.

Only change would be bringing in Grundy to help in the ruck and possibly Hibberd but who goes out.

Harmes and Jordan maybe.

We're going to need Grundy in September. Gawn is not superman but he is in his thirties. He cannot be expected to play every week like he did against Tigers.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Demon Dynasty said:

Rolled Gold opportunity to rest some of our mature champs who've had a big year plus Salo for a freshen up as well (and not saying Salo isn't a champ just that he's had a somewhat diff pathway coming back in)

Set us up beautifully for the final run home

Would love to see May get the chance as well but cant see who covers for him at Casey.

Grundy for Gawn

Dunstan for Viney

Hibbo for Salem with Hibbo taking on McVee's role and Mcvee taking on the higher up Salo role.

Sparrow should be back for Harmes

Couldn' see these changes occurring other than Sparrow back in if fit, possibly Oliver.

I am told the decision has been made to hold Oliver back until the Carlton game.

It is also my understanding that we studied Geelong's run to the finals last year and compared that to the Dees.  We went in banged up, literally half the team was carrying an injury, we tried to play all players through their niggles.  Geelong on the other hand rested their older and niggled players over the season and had them all fully fit for finals. Not managing our players and playing too many injured players cost us a Premiership (in my view).

As such I expect Melbourne to rest players in the final month as they have during the season (eg Hibbert).  My view is we must rest Gawn.  He has been unbelievable for 3 weeks; we want him playing like this in finals he is pushing 32yo he needs to be rested particularly since we have Grundy ready to go.

I expect Sparrow to be brought back in, a bit of a lottery who goes out for him and I expect Grundy for Gawn. Not sure what to make of Hibbert, I would have brought him in for Dusty when forward last week. In the end our rookie Juddy struggled on a sublime Dusty. Perhaps moving forward Hibbert is a match-up player.  In saying that Juddy does not get dropped.

There will be players that have niggles that we are unaware of.  Don't be surprised to see some unexpected "managed" outs particularly against North and Hawks.  I get the argument about flirting with form, I just think this is a risk that the match committee are happy to take to get our boys full fit for finals.

Edited by Grand New Flag
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 2

Managing/Resting/General soreness, whatever tickles your fanny folks.

Even if a player's genuinly 'managed' unfortunately they wont be left to their own devices laying back basking on a banana lounge sipping Pina Coladas poolside for days on end 🌴🌞🌴

The HP team will have an individual program layed out to ensure they are 'actively' resting in order to ensure they are primed for their return.

While obviously player in question avoids the heavy hitting/ bruising and potential corkies etc from a full match day hit out and hopefully gets to overcome the bulk of any such issues.

It comes back to the individual players and the coaches / HP crew coming together and discussing needs/wants as we enter this last foray prior to finals.  And who, if any, end up being managed if the window is there should they have potential issues that warrant the active break.

A fair percentage of whether the player does/doesn't would be determined in said discussions as well as the alignment of needs from a match up & coaches perspective in terms of game style, structure, available ins to cover off etc.

Spoke to the Bont about this late last year and he said the seasons were already overly lengthy and about to become even more taxing now with the extra gather round thrown in.  He said any 'in season' breaks are a god send for those in the regular starting 22 in order to make it through while playing a decent brand of footy.

Edited by Demon Dynasty
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Grand New Flag said:

I am told the decision has been made to hold Oliver back until the Carlton game.

It is also my understanding that we studied Geelong's run to the finals last year and compared that to the Dees.  We went in banged up, literally half the team was carrying an injury, we tried to play all players through their niggles.  Geelong on the other hand rested their older and niggled players over the season and had them all fully fit for finals. Not managing our players and playing too many injured players cost us a Premiership (in my view).

As such I expect Melbourne to rest players in the final month as they have during the season (eg Hibbert).  My view is we must rest Gawn.  He has been unbelievable for 3 weeks; we want him playing like this in finals he is pushing 32yo he needs to be rested particularly since we have Grundy ready to go.

I expect Sparrow to be brought back in, a bit of a lottery who goes out for him and I expect Grundy for Gawn. Not sure what to make of Hibbert, I would have brought him in for Dusty when forward last week. In the end our rookie Juddy struggled on a sublime Dusty. Perhaps moving forward Hibbert is a match-up player.  In saying that Juddy does not get dropped.

There will be players that have niggles that we are unaware of.  Don't be surprised to see some unexpected "managed" outs particularly against North and Hawks.  I get the argument about flirting with form, I just think this is a risk that the match committee are happy to take to get our boys full fit for finals.

Michael Hibberd.

• Like 3
  • Clap 2

56 minutes ago, Demonsterative said:

Managed? 😜

I reckon ‘managed’ is the word. IF for example say Viney’s shoulder is suspect (I really have no idea but they do) manage him. IF the footy department identifies that a key player is ‘cooked’ for whatever reason manage him. 

Everyone else plays. We have a depth of talent that we can utilise.  We want to win next week and get some percentage if possible, the following week against Carlton we need to win. Get the best team on the park but at the same time ‘manage’ our risks as best we can.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Grand New Flag said:

...... Hibbert..... Not sure what to make of Hibbert.... Perhaps moving forward Hibbert .......

Who is this Hibbert?

• Haha 1