Harley Reid

dazzledavey36

He's clearly great but pick 4-5 and two other first rounders for one kid? Have we lost our minds? Did we suddenly become Fremantle?

Anyway, the way we work, we'll probably end up holing the magic early pick, then trading our own first, Freo's second and next season's first for North's first next season.

It's the old Jason Taylor 'make the trades so confusing nobody is sure who came out ahead' routine.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

40 minutes ago, old55 said:

Jason Taylor has an impeccable record with mids, not just the players we've drafted but the ones he has coveted e.g. Butters, Humphrey. I have total faith he'll have a definite view on Reid and other possibilities like Duursma.  We will actually be in a position to execute on his plan with the Freo pick.

It will be interesting to see where Curtin is expected to fall and that will influence WC. North have a lot of mids and he may appeal to them more than say McKercher, especially if they succeed in their bid for Sanders. They may have two picks before our Freo pick too via McKay.

This is what I have been considering more and more. If WC truly want Curtin they may need to bite the bullet at 1 otherwise high risk he is not there at 4 and beyond. North have loaded on mids in Wardlaw, Powell, Phillips with early picks as well as Sheezel. They have LDU and Simpkin in their prime. They are about to lose McKay and other than Larkey have no other quality young talls. 

Hawthorn have a young deep midfield brigade but have no real quality keys aside Lewis forward and the undersize Sicily. 

Good chance either of them take Curtin. 

• Like 6

45 minutes ago, old55 said:

Jason Taylor has an impeccable record with mids, not just the players we've drafted but the ones he has coveted e.g. Butters, Humphrey. I have total faith he'll have a definite view on Reid and other possibilities like Duursma.  We will actually be in a position to execute on his plan with the Freo pick.

It will be interesting to see where Curtin is expected to fall and that will influence WC. North have a lot of mids and he may appeal to them more than say McKercher, especially if they succeed in their bid for Sanders. They may have two picks before our Freo pick too via McKay.

The Curtin factor will be key. Presuming we finish with pick 4 and looked to trade for pick 1, WC would have to know that both North and Hawks would skip over him in order for them to make the deal.

At this stage it’s line ball - Reid and Walters are probably the only two who would definitely be above him, with McKercher, Sanders, Duursma and Watson all likely to fall around that 3-6 range.

North may end up being the preferred trading partner if they have enough capital from the McKay compensation (not that he should be worth any thing more than an end of first round pick mind you)

But North need picks too and them trading out multiple picks at this stage of their (never ending) rebuild would be a big call 

Whatever happens, very excited for this trade and draft period! In JT and Tim Lamb we trust 

• Like 1

i back in the footy dept and the recruiting staff to make a good decision for the club as a whole, be that trading multiple first rounders or what have you for pick 1 to secure reid

everything i've seen of that kid he looks so, so composed in traffic and his ball use looks fantastic

i'm all in for the premiership + pick 1 double

• Like 8

35 minutes ago, Lil_red_fire_engine said:

This is what I have been considering more and more. If WC truly want Curtin they may need to bite the bullet at 1 otherwise high risk he is not there at 4 and beyond. North have loaded on mids in Wardlaw, Powell, Phillips with early picks as well as Sheezel. They have LDU and Simpkin in their prime. They are about to lose McKay and other than Larkey have no other quality young talls. 

Hawthorn have a young deep midfield brigade but have no real quality keys aside Lewis forward and the undersize Sicily. 

Good chance either of them take Curtin. 

29 minutes ago, demoncat said:

The Curtin factor will be key. Presuming we finish with pick 4 and looked to trade for pick 1, WC would have to know that both North and Hawks would skip over him in order for them to make the deal.

At this stage it’s line ball - Reid and Walters are probably the only two who would definitely be above him, with McKercher, Sanders, Duursma and Watson all likely to fall around that 3-6 range.

North may end up being the preferred trading partner if they have enough capital from the McKay compensation (not that he should be worth any thing more than an end of first round pick mind you)

But North need picks too and them trading out multiple picks at this stage of their (never ending) rebuild would be a big call 

Whatever happens, very excited for this trade and draft period! In JT and Tim Lamb we trust 

Agree.

North also have the highly rated Brayden George on their list, recovering from an ACL. 

If Ben McKay leaves, as expected, then they have Todd Goldstein at 34yo and Nick Larkey as the only two players over 194cm to have played 30 games.  They have Corr at 194/120 and Logue at 193/64 next in the pecking order.  They need KPs.

Edited by old55
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, old55 said:

Agree.

North also have the highly rated Brayden George on their list, recovering from an ACL. 

If Ben McKay leaves, as expected, then they have Todd Goldstein at 34yo and Nick Larkey as the only two players over 194cm to have played 30 games.  They have Corr at 194/120 and Logue at 193/64 next in the pecking order.  They need KPs.

where is McKay off to?

4 minutes ago, Deebauched said:

Which clubs are after body double Ben McKay

Maybe the doggies?

I’d consider him, especially if Tommo leaves or we are still keen on Petty forward. 
May will be on the wrong side of 30 next year. 

6 minutes ago, Engorged Onion said:

where is McKay off to?

Cal and Riley have been saying on Gettable that he won't be at North next year - Essendon, Sydney?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Little Goffy said:

He's clearly great but pick 4-5 and two other first rounders for one kid? Have we lost our minds? Did we suddenly become Fremantle?

Anyway, the way we work, we'll probably end up holing the magic early pick, then trading our own first, Freo's second and next season's first for North's first next season.

It's the old Jason Taylor 'make the trades so confusing nobody is sure who came out ahead' routine.

You should probably apply the ‘rule’ in your last sentence to your first sentence; the FD don’t seem to care about ‘winning the trade’ if they get their targets. We may come out so far ahead in the Jackson trade that they don’t care about ‘paying too much’ for ND1.

• Like 2
  • Thinking 1

17 minutes ago, old55 said:

Cal and Riley have been saying on Gettable that he won't be at North next year - Essendon, Sydney?

Yes I’m hearing through non accredited sources (John - a mad swans man) that it’s the Swans getting the $$ together for Ben McKay.  They need a big bodied defender. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Colm said:

With pick 4 looking more and more likely we will be one of probably only 2 teams that could trade with WC. If they want Curtain then there’s no point in them trading for picks lower than 4 as there would be a strong chance Curtain could be gone. 
With that in mind it will all depend how highly they rate Curtain- our first two first rounders might be enough to get the deal done. 
I'm not in favour of giving up 3 firsts as I think we have a few holes to fill. 

I don't see many holes.

1 additional bull midfielder (Reid)

1 KPF 

What else do we really need? (Short term)

35 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

I’d consider him, especially if Tommo leaves or we are still keen on Petty forward. 
May will be on the wrong side of 30 next year. 

Cant possibly see us being able to afford even close to what others would pay and would only make sense if we are set on moving Petty. He will be at the Bombers or the Swans is my opinion (no source).

• Shocked 1

Reid would allow Trac to stay mostly forward, but don’t want to give too much up. 
I think teams will be trying for GC first rounder as they will want to dump. If we can get that and hold pick 4 we could get two quality kids.

But I’d be loathe to give up 4, 18 and 22 for pick 1. 

• Like 6

I heard Sanders give interview after he won the Larke medal and he said his biggest mentor in footy was Harry Sneezel and that they have been on very similar paths. 
I’d be surprised if North don’t pick him up via priority pick or maybe trade back and get him. 

19 minutes ago, ElDiablo14 said:

I don't see many holes.

1 additional bull midfielder (Reid)

1 KPF 

What else do we really need? (Short term)

Could do with an outside midfielder who can use the ball well going I50, the KPF you mentioned and a Key defender. Steven May doesn’t have long left and I don’t think we have anybody of his caliber in the twos 

Edited by Colm

6 minutes ago, old55 said:

yeah, well we'll need to give more than that if we do it ...

I wonder if we would need to give more than that. Our 3 first picks are currently 4, 15 and 22.  Which is 3991 points. Pick 1 is 3000. 
I know to trade up you normally need to pay overs but if WC rate Curtain close to Reid and he comes without any go home factor then 4,15 and 34 might be enough to get it done. Pick 4 is a great pick to have. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Colm said:

I wonder if we would need to give more than that. Our 3 first picks are currently 4, 15 and 22.  Which is 3991 points. Pick 1 is 3000. 
I know to trade up you normally need to pay overs but if WC rate Curtain close to Reid and he comes without any go home factor then 4,15 and 34 might be enough to get it done. Pick 4 is a great pick to have. 

I’d love 4, 22 and next years 2nd for 1, doubt they would go that tho.

• Like 1

If the AFL were playing a 'fair' game for a change that would ask GC to nominate one player out of their Academy they want to keep and allow North to pick one of the other 3 players eligible in the GC Academy.

That is if the AFL decide to award a priority.

That takes away the dilution of draft factor. The draft is compromised enough as it is. Its a disgusting joke.

The AFL has no qualms changing the rule so we missed out on Mac Andrew.

If North are given pick 3 then WCE will not trade pick 1 because pick 4 (if Freo finish in that spot) effectively pick 5 or pick 6 with Walters to GC.

So a North priority if given effectively has the AFL bending us over twice in the last few years.

7 hours ago, Gorgoroth said:

I’d love 4, 22 and next years 2nd for 1, doubt they would go that tho.

Don't take offence, but it's not even worth posting this. In what world would WC take that? Or another team not beat that. WC will be expecting 4 + 6 minimum. 

• Like 1