Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POSTGAME: Rd 17 vs St Kilda

Demonland

46 minutes ago, Farmer said:

Largely agree with this . Melksham kicked two great goals but that’s all, and history shows he is unlikely to repeat. At the end last week, Max was completely cooked, yet he and Grundy were on the field last night for a long time, filling in as the extra tall on forward line. And neither took a grab . Woewodin was just ok, but what is his role in the team? I think we must play Schache for a few games.  Let him ruck in the forward line, giving Max and Grundy to have shorter time on the ground and refresh . Josh is a lovely kick , if he gets a shot anywhere inside 50, he is likely to convert. And if not Josh, some other tall must play .

Is JVR " tall" in your estimation?

Good mark Good kick and competes

• Like 2

Re: Melksham - with Sparrow’s sealer, Melksham engaged his defender leading at the ball at exactly the right time to protect his teammate and not give away a free. I think it was Howard?? Anyway, this is the more nuanced forward craft and selflessness that I have been banging on about - do we work for each other? Do we lead out of space to allow others? Do we protect our teammates and help them excel? 

Jake is in his last season in football and he is still contributing and we should applaud it and be thankful. We are in between forward line eras atm and he may help to bridge it and keep us competitive this year.

Just ride with it.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Winners at last said:

Poor comment NC.

While I don't agree with every comment she posts, she is passionate and very loyal to the Club. She is not deranged !!

Winners, sorry if you didn’t realise I was having a joke. (My fault I guess). I luv WCW and would not deliberately offend her. Have a look at the so called derogatory comment I made to WCW. I said “haha they will never get you off the field”. WCW even offered a laughing emoji to my post. I have also used the word “deranged” in a number of posts to her. It has been used in jest on every occasion. I’m pretty sure she would have PM’d me if she found my use of that word offensive previously. I do like the fact that WCW is held in such high regard on this site that she has a white knight coming to her defence. I’m sure, if she sees this, that she would appreciate the comment you made.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, Mel Bourne said:

Would have loved to have been there, but I spent the night looking after my elderly mum after having a fall. 

I see this “point” being made often after games. It’s a thoughtless and entitled line of supposed-reasoning that needs to die in a ditch. 

Your criticisms aren’t more valid because you were fortunate enough to go to the game. Nor are you better-placed to assess the team’s performance, unless you watched the broadcast as well. 

I have found the best way to assess a game is to be there and then watch the replay. The tv seems to tell a limited story on its own 

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, rpfc said:

Re: Melksham - with Sparrow’s sealer, Melksham engaged his defender leading at the ball at exactly the right time to protect his teammate and not give away a free. I think it was Howard?? Anyway, this is the more nuanced forward craft and selflessness that I have been banging on about - do we work for each other? Do we lead out of space to allow others? Do we protect our teammates and help them excel? 

Jake is in his last season in football and he is still contributing and we should applaud it and be thankful. We are in between forward line eras atm and he may help to bridge it and keep us competitive this year.

Just ride with it.

He is an incredibly smart player and an excellent finisher. 
If he could impact the contest for longer periods and get his defensive game into a better shape, he can definitely finish his career off on a high! 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Neil Crompton said:

Thanks THBT, my comment was a bit tongue in cheek. And you will notice that the only derogatory comment I’ve made on this post is about that deranged Demon Army lady thinking she’ll take over Reece’s job.

3 hours ago, Winners at last said:

Poor comment NC.

While I don't agree with every comment she posts, she is passionate and very loyal to the Club. She is not deranged !!

It’s all good, Bingers. There was no malice whatsoever in NC’s post. The only problem I have is that he says I think I’ll be taking over Reece’s job when the fact is I know I’ll be taking over Reece’s job. 😆

To be fair, can’t argue the deranged part. 😝

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

3 hours ago, Macca said:

I agree, we need to get Kozzie into the play and he is good enough to handle it

The trouble with giving him a spell is for how long?  Finals aren't far away and we need to get him into form

Ditto for JVR ... Brown knows how to play the deep forward role but JVR needs some space to run around in

Against the Blues we played him up the ground a bit and he looked impressive

It's an early call but he looks like a CHF type to me ... not in the traditional role (not yet anyway) but more in the T-Mac mode

This might sound trite, even farly fetched: I only saw the replay but the ball appeared mainly where Kozzie wasn't: in other words, a lot of action passed him by. You have those days in footy. If you want to watch the reply - again, but only of you want to - the play often bypassed where Kozzie was. An analogy might be when most of the play is on one wing, and the other winger's stats can seem miserable. Have faith.

On the topic, how bloody good is that double named saint - Wanganeen?  !!!!!!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Monbon said:

This might sound trite, even farly fetched: I only saw the replay but the ball appeared mainly where Kozzie wasn't: in other words, a lot of action passed him by. You have those days in footy. If you want to watch the reply - again, but only of you want to - the play often bypassed where Kozzie was. An analogy might be when most of the play is on one wing, and the other winger's stats can seem miserable. Have faith.

On the topic, how bloody good is that double named saint - Wanganeen?  !!!!!!

Well if we put him up the ground in say, a lead up role (high half forward) with a few periodic stints in the midfield, he'll be getting his hands on the ball by default

I remember when we did it with Hogan (out of the blue) ... it's a way of warming up a player rather than watching him go cold

And if you're not getting your hands on it, confidence can dissipate

To me it looks like he's wondering where his next possession is coming from

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Jaded No More said:

Would love to steal Marshall. He’s the quintessential modern day ruckman. Really love how he plays. 

Marshall can jump to mark

grundy has concrete hands

gawny can’t jump - doesn’t need to sometimes but he did once

hes been great over the journey but old age…

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IRW said:

Is JVR " tall" in your estimation?

Good mark Good kick and competes

I’ve seen Schache in some very good ruck work, so I prefer him.. in the long term JVR will be a v good player, but for reasons I’ve set out I would like our two great rucks to be given a real chop out 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Deecisive said:

Saints forward line is dangerous, hence having them sit on the bench for most of the game freed up May to cause havoc. if he had to mind king there is no way he would played as well. it was a win but sadly we do not look like a premiership winning team. Kozzie needs to sit one out, Ben brown was good on the lead, shame we see so little of it. i dont understand the need to bomb it into the forward line constantly, we have proven that we seldom take the mark and our smalls rarely gather the crumbs. Why do we keep doing something that is so wrong.

the saints layer man on man going into our forward line  which didn't leave room for short passing

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rab D Nesbitt said:

Strap yourself in old dee. If our forward line clicks we're coming home like Australia II back in 1983. 

Sadly too many holes/ injuries to seriously challenge this season Rab

• Like 2

1 hour ago, von said:

I have found the best way to assess a game is to be there and then watch the replay. The tv seems to tell a limited story on its own 

1000%.

Watch it live, with no external commentary at all, save that from other fans.

Check stats an the end of each quarter.

Win, radio on the way home. Get home and watch the full replay. 

Gold. 

• Like 3
  • Love 2

4 hours ago, Macca said:

At the ground is way better in terms of picking up the levels of hunger for the victory.  Hard to define but it's a thing

But I don't reckon we miss much at all watching on the box ... we know the players run up and down the ground all game and we know about all the rotations

I reckon what can be missed are the 1 on 1's and the tagging roles.  But even at the ground it's difficult to pick up run-with roles or tagging roles

Forward line pressure is easily seen too (on the telly) ... or whether a forward is playing in front

“… But I don't reckon we miss much at all watching on the box ..”
 Really?  The camera work is just so awful, even worse this year.    So much zooming in with only rarely showing any perspective of what is going on ahead of the ball / down the ground. I find this really infuriating. 

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, monoccular said:

“… But I don't reckon we miss much at all watching on the box ..”
 Really?  The camera work is just so awful, even worse this year.    So much zooming in with only rarely showing any perspective of what is going on ahead of the ball / down the ground. I find this really infuriating. 

Ahead of the ball is often bereft of players with all the flooding & congestion ... and with so many players around the ball

Years ago TV missed so much of what might be going on downfield but not so much these days.  In fact, years ago the sport was strictly 'At-The-Game' for a proper appreciation

I still prefer to be at the games and I don't watch a lot of neutral footy these days so you're probably right, mono

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I didn't say I wasn't happy to win. He asked what's the point if the only joy you get is from flags - I respondes by saying if you're not winning flags then what's the point? I was happy to win last night but watching us I still have concerns that we will push the best teams this year in September. I was happy to win but I'm not doing cartwheels over that game, there are degrees of enjoyment. If I could see we were on the way to a flag I would be far more satisfied but I see serious issues with the way we're playing which frustrate me as a supporter.

I'm not [censored] on anyone happy with the win, if they find joy in it then good for them. I'm just saying while good to win I'm tempering my expectations because we haven't shown that we can be good enough for long enough on many occasions in the last 18 months.

We're also getting closer to the pointy end, after the Suns game I was happy to get the 4 points and move on but now we need to start putting some good form together as well as banking points. Defensively we're pretty sound but our ball movement and forward craft still worries me.

Your points may be lost on some

Edited by beelzebub
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Well I had an extra reason to celebrate tonight… Reece Conca said I can have his job!

🥳😝🙃😁

I was just watching the replay and trying to imagine you as the runner.

’Ok Harmesy, Goodie wants….oh wow, you’ve got really muscly arms up close. Actually, you know what, just run around and stay sweaty. Looks amazing.’

• Haha 4

42 minutes ago, The heart beats true said:

I was just watching the replay and trying to imagine you as the runner.

’Ok Harmesy, Goodie wants….oh wow, you’ve got really muscly arms up close. Actually, you know what, just run around and stay sweaty. Looks amazing.’

🤣🤣🤣

Goody would need a second runner just for me. “WCW, Goody said it’s been four minutes now, you need to let go of Harmesy!” 

• Haha 4