• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POSTGAME: Rd 17 vs St Kilda

Demonland

14 minutes ago, leave it to deever said:

Just watched most of the replay and I've got to say credit needs to go towards the Saints intensity and tackling.

They played a very defensive game and shut down a lot of our handballing and kicking down the middle. Their kids did very well. 

I thought the Saints were terrific: losing 3 in the first quarter would hurt any team. They have some serious young talent coming through. However, the win was a credit to the Demons; the score in the first quarter at one stage was 3 goals five to one solitary Melbourne Goal. From that point, the Saints scored five goals five and we scored 11 goals 7...

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Macca said:

Hilarious

You're getting desperate now DS

I'm still waiting on your detailed error analysis.  And don't leave anyone out, even your favourites

Do you have favourites?  You certainly have a multitude in your gunsights

I'll remind you that you wanted to dump 7 players after the narrow loss last week

That's what is best described as a complete overreaction

But that's what you do

Hamish, can you read?

I listed 7 changes I thought could happen over the next period of time to transition the side. I specifically said they all wouldn’t and shouldn’t happen. We made 3.

You tagged me in a post about Gus despite me not saying anything that you haven’t also said about his game. A few bad early mistakes followed by a pretty good game overall.

You then had a Clanger stat and all I did was point out that clearly hospital handballs don’t count as clangers.

Im not going to list all the errors made by a bunch of players, you’ve already done that. I will say Trent Rivers is one of my favourites and I mentioned his kicking was awful. 

• Like 1

People don't rate the Brownlow but we do rate Brayshaw's 3rd placing in the Brownlow

Since that podium finish, many here have had very high expectations as if he has to play to that (questionable) standard

To me it's a furphy and I never thought that he had that good a season in 2018.  Played well but 3rd best player in the league?  I don't think so

I put him in the same category as Hunter, Grundy, Rivers, Bowey, Hibberd, Sparrow  Jordon, McVee & Langdon

Not elite and not A grade

Our elite players are May, Max, Petracca, Viney, Oliver, Salem, Lever and maybe Fritsch (for his big match qualities)

And I'm not overdoing it on Brayshaw ... those who are, are constantly potting him here on a near daily basis

Just providing a little bit of balance

Footnote: What is glaringly obvious about all the listed players above is that only one of them is a forward

To win the flag we might have to leave Petracca forward (periodically) and maybe think about using a player like Brayshaw forward (at times) as well

He's already proved that he can play a number of different roles ... attacking midfielder, defensive wingman, holding midfielder and at half back.  Why not forward?

Greg Williams played as a permanent forward in the 1995 GF

1 hour ago, Jontee said:

Well that is the ultimate prize or goal.

But

To see young people grow into successful adults in their chosen career

To wake up after a game happy (no not that)

To be able to wear your colours without a second thought

To be entertained

To feel included

Good post... I like entertainment and improvement.

Flags are very hard to come by so you have to embrace the lesser elements

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, kev martin said:

Yes, Grundy is a needed player.

Come the finals, the talls get bigger as the games gets to the pointy end.

They are still trying out the best way to use Max and Grundy, so need to keep working on it.

Between them that's almost $2M* a year running around.

Hope they work it out quickly

*including the Collingwood offset

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, kev martin said:

Brody needs to stop fumbling as much, ground balls and marks, and Gawns needs to get back to his marking best, supporting the backs, and can improve his tap work.

I’m actually not sure we need 2 rucks anymore, I’d prefer Woewodin remained in the side

• Like 1

We didn’t play all that well, but we are a class above the Saints. We just had better players in every area of the ground, and we took our opportunities (finally!)

If the Saints pick Trac over McCartin and he plays for them yesterday, well then they probably win. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Hamish, can you read?

I listed 7 changes I thought could happen over the next period of time to transition the side. I specifically said they all wouldn’t and shouldn’t happen. We made 3.

You tagged me in a post about Gus despite me not saying anything that you haven’t also said about his game. A few bad early mistakes followed by a pretty good game overall.

You then had a Clanger stat and all I did was point out that clearly hospital handballs don’t count as clangers.

Im not going to list all the errors made by a bunch of players, you’ve already done that. I will say Trent Rivers is one of my favourites and I mentioned his kicking was awful. 

So what do we call you?  Demonland's chief whinger? 

You've got a history of lashing out here and you pot players constantly.  And your criticisms are over-the-top and uncalled for

If you had your way, we'd struggle to field a team.  Just allow your own players to make errors because after all, they are not trying to make mistakes

Believe it or not, they are trying their best

League-wide, there is not an abundance of AFL standard players.  There's certainly no excess either

So teams are filled with non elite players and many players who aren't even at B grade level.  Errors are therefore going to occur ... in an abundance

Are you a perfectionist?  Because if so, you're following the wrong sport

Edited by Macca
  • Clap 1

6 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

We didn’t play all that well, but we are a class above the Saints. We just had better players in every area of the ground, and we took our opportunities (finally!)

If the Saints pick Trac over McCartin and he plays for them yesterday, well then they probably win. 

What if McCartin never gets a concussion? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Redlagged said:

Just saw the post game pressers. Lyon is sarcastic and arrogant and says some curious things. But at least he's interesting. Goodwin? Win or lose, he's dull, bland and repetitive. Pointless listening.

not sure what supporters want from Goodwin. He's not a song and dance man. He described the game. One reporter tried for the click bait with "Yeah, but wouldn't you say its disappointing in the end as Saints had a few men down ? ". Goodwin "No". I liked it. What a stupid question like saints weren't able to fight it out at least. No game is easy. 

Edited by Bay Riffin
  • Like 6

5 hours ago, old dee said:

My dad told me many years ago, good sides win when not playing well. We are far from GF form but we played a lot better last night than the previous couple. Gawn is not playing well at present honestly if he was not the captain and his  name was Joe Blow he would be dropped after last nights game and the previous couple. Our mid field plays a lot better when the bun is in the centre. It won't happen but imo Max needs a rest. 

no we didn't. We kicked straighter. Predicted score had saints winning based on the stats. Previous weeks like the GWS game we smashed sides in the midfield but goal kicking was off. Thats the first time in a while our midfield got beat (slightly). 

Edited by Bay Riffin

4 hours ago, The heart beats true said:

Lol. Never said that.

I asked about attending the game because the first pages of these threads are so incredibly negative. I hate watching on the TV, as you get a very one dimensional perspective on the game - which is further influenced by mediocre commentary.

St Kilda brought a lot of heat and should be given credit, and that was very evident at the ground. I also thought our defensive running and structure was very good last night, and our ability to absorb pressure was outstanding. You can’t see that in a tight contest shot on the TV.

The first pages of this thread are a a lot of comments focussed on ‘fumbles, and mistakes’ when that’s the inside contest game we are literally trying to create with our hard running and team defensive work. None of that you can see on TV.

I hate watching it on TV, but you think most interstate supporters can simply just turn up to games on a Saturday night? 

So of course  you're going to get many who judge a football game based on what they see on TV.

The saints pressure was very evident just watching it TV as well you know? I made this exact same comment in the game day thread late in the last quarter. Their pressure was immense and we were able to adsorb that well.

Whilst i agree that sometimes you cant see the work that's being put in by the players off the screen, there's really not even a gap at all between what you see on the ground and on the screen.

• Like 3

Expected score is an indicator, Melbourne had control of the game from late 1st through 4th quarter, didn’t look like losing.

Last week against Giants should have been 5 goal win, that’s what it looked like! 

Edited by D4Life
Addition
  • Like 1

I was at the match.

Surely the Demons should have a team rule not to handball to Max during a handball chain! Three times it was done, and all three times it led to a turnover. Not blaming Max, but let's face it, he's pretty slow.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Neil Crompton said:

Sorry, but I didn’t realise you actually had to have been to a game before you are allowed to offer an opinion on our teams performance.

Silly you NC.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Neil Crompton said:

Thanks THBT, my comment was a bit tongue in cheek. And you will notice that the only derogatory comment I’ve made on this post is about that deranged Demon Army lady thinking she’ll take over Reece’s job.

Poor comment NC.

While I don't agree with every comment she posts, she is passionate and very loyal to the Club. She is not deranged !!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Right now, the heat is on Kozzie but we need him playing well if we're going to contend

A spell in the 2's might help but only to improve him (not punish) I'd move him up the ground in a high half forward role (first)

See if that helps as more touches can increase confidence.  Centre bounce stoppages as well?  Not all but maybe half of them ... with Oliver out and Petracca forward (periodically) we've got a chance to get a few players into the game

If we can get Kozzie getting 20 touches, that will help the team

JVR is another who may not be best suited for that isolated forward role (Brown is better suited) so we could put him at CHF in a roaming capacity (a la T-Mac)

So against the Lions I'd bring in JVR to play the aforementioned role and use Kozzie further up the ground. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

I hate watching it on TV, but you think most interstate supporters can simply just turn up to games on a Saturday night? 

So of course  you're going to get many who judge a football game based on what they see on TV.

The saints pressure was very evident just watching it TV as well you know? I made this exact same comment in the game day thread late in the last quarter. Their pressure was immense and we were able to adsorb that well.

Whilst i agree that sometimes you cant see the work that's being put in by the players off the screen, there's really not even a gap at all between what you see on the ground and on the screen.

I simply asked a question. I never stated anything about interstate supporters. I also never stated in my question if I was at the game or not. It was a question for context. 

That context was that you wouldn’t know that the saints pressure was evident on TV from some of the opinions spouted in the early post game thread. That’s why I asked. For folks to say it ‘felt like a loss’ and was ‘putrid’ is doing a disservice to both teams.

2 hours ago, The heart beats true said:

I accept mediocrity all the time.

Right now I could be reading Ulysses by James Joyce. Instead I’m reading various opinions about Angus Brayshaw.

With a gorgonzola sandwich and a glass of burgundy?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, picket fence said:

WCW I, and others would pay a Kings Ransome to see you running around relaying messages! You might well be like this guy...

Cartoon Runner png images | PNGWing

Well you may just see exactly that!

I now feel I’m closer to my dream job than ever. Reece has already asked me if I can run 10km in 120 minutes to which I answered yes (I lied) and he knows I don’t want to be paid, so there’s a saving for the Club. But whereas it’s always been me who broaches the subject, last night while I was chatting with *Richo in the race Reece walked past and said (in front of Richo!), “I know, you still want my job, right?” So, either I’m short-listed, or he just said that to shut me up (hot tip: it won’t work).

*Pregame Richo asked me “what’s on the banner tonight?” I said “‘Christian Salem… Master of Precision’ It’s his 150th game.” Richo paused for a moment then said, “Oh yeah, it is too!” 😁 All good though, we remember these things so as they don’t have to. ♥️💙

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 3

@Macca I don’t know what you keep on this, I mentioned Brayshaw once in the first qtr, But you seem to have a agenda and I’m not being your horse to ride. 
Please stop mentioning me in this, we obviously see things differently on effective disposal vs Clanger vs poor disposal and I don’t give enough of a [censored] to argue about it.