PREGAME: Rd 17 vs St. Kilda

Demonland

17 minutes ago, Stu said:

It’s also been well publicised that the decision on Hinkley’s contract will be made in August. He may we’ll have set out the plan this year to get as many wins in the H&A season as possible, and take a gamble on the finals, to sure up his contract. 

Yep, totally.

And how many times have we seen Port smash the H&A season and look like winners, only to collapse in the finals series.

Still, it's a new season and who knows, but I reckon you're spot on.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Spargonicus said:

There’s definitely something up among the players. I feel like the Melksham/May fracas broke the tight bond the group had formed. And while there’s still lots of good energy and fight, full trust in each other is hard to achieve and easily broken.

I disagree and think it was just May getting his comeuppance for being sloshed and arrogant. I'm hoping the players aren't becoming frustrated or disenchanted with their form over the last month. Most of all I hope they're still 'buying in.'

How's the vibe at training @kev martin? For those going to the game, it would be great to know if the boys are chirping it up on the field.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Roger Mellie said:

How's the vibe at training @kev martin

The MFC have shifted out to Casey for a while. I can't attend trainings. 

Due to the FIFA Women's World Cup, Melbourne will be based at Casey Fields for all main training sessions throughout July and August. 

https://www.melbournefc.com.au/teams/training-times

Edited by kev martin
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, layzie said:

This week has torn us apart. Hopefully we get back to being nice to each other.

Give it time Layzie. Sometimes this forum gives Question Time a run for its money, which is not necessarily a bad thing as we all care.

Edited by Jibroni
  • Haha 2
  • Clap 1

Now here is a dilemma. If we lose to St Kilda, not impossible on our current form, and the Bulldogs beat Collingwood tonight (Friday), we will be out of the top four and possibly even out of the top six by the end of the round. Does this mean, ghastly as the prospect is, that we need to barrack for the Pies tonight?

• Haha 1
  • Vomit 1

14 minutes ago, Dee-monic said:

Now here is a dilemma. If we lose to St Kilda, not impossible on our current form, and the Bulldogs beat Collingwood tonight (Friday), we will be out of the top four and possibly even out of the top six by the end of the round. Does this mean, ghastly as the prospect is, that we need to barrack for the Pies tonight?

No...just barrack for us and hope we win. That's enough.... ( crossed fingers and toes) 

• Like 1

How come when I go to the club's match day information link it gives me GA bays in the Shane Warne, Ponsford and Olympic stands?

And, more importantly, does anyone know where GA is at docklands?

33 minutes ago, Dee-monic said:

Yes 🤢🤮🤦‍♂️

• Like 1

9 hours ago, binman said:

Nup.

VFL is 100% a chop out - way, way less intense, shorter quarters and because the stakes are not as high, much more flexibility to manage minutes or for example, give a player some specific things to work on and/or play a different role (which might be about helping him work on specific things - eg sending a forward back to improve his defensive skills - or just to free him up to get his hands on the pill).

See goody's comments about why they ran spargo through Casey after his concussion (precis: the lower intensity of the vfl meant we could ease him back in after what was a bad concussion)

No doubt players can be managed in the VFL. Just don't think jvr is and he would be working just as hard as he would in the AFL on worse grounds 

21 minutes ago, Bates Mate said:

No doubt players can be managed in the VFL. Just don't think jvr is and he would be working just as hard as he would in the AFL on worse grounds 

BM i would argue, at least until last week when Woe was in the team and in good form and Tomo various weeks before going missing, any forwards, including the smalls have a better chance at finding their mojo at Casey vs the seniors.

The difference in terms of speed of ball movement, finish and cohesion between mids & forwards there is chalk and cheese vs the senior team.

Ok so it's a rung down and oppo also a fair way off AFL level, but aside from that the service, delivery and methods coming inside 50 are much more conducive to an efficient / functioning forward line with those forwards happy to work hard at honing their craft & skills (at this level) much the beneficiaries.

Watching Casey is a joy at the moment.  May it continue and if they can hold the core group together, on present form they are a decent chance of going back to back.

Edited by Demon Dynasty
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, Dee-monic said:

I might be on my own here but I won’t find it that hard. Apart from the Bont I really dislike the Bulldogs. 

• Like 1

People saying if we kicked straight, we would be top or whatever - to me is just nonsense.

Its like saying if we hit targets or if we won the clearances.  It didn't happen due to skill or whatever reason

Kicking straight is part of being a top team and its a skill and a mental thing to overcome

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Bates Mate said:

VFL isn't a rest and a 20 year old with jvr's attitude and work ethic dosent know how to not go 100% in a game of footy. In many ways VFL can be more taxing on the body

Have you watched the VFL? The intensity is miles off AFL.

11 hours ago, Lucifers Hero said:

But was Tomlinson dropped?

Fair chance he would have been told before selection for round 12 he would come in for X number of games to cover X player so there would no reason to be huffy about it, if in fact he is.

He went out for Petty.  It is Petty's spot.  The defence has been very settled since his last game in round 13.

This is the time to bed down our best 22 for finals.  There isn't room for Tomlinson in defence. 

Petty was coming back from injury and came back after repeated noises from Goodwin about him playing forward. Tomlinson shows a 3rd tall is still intrinsic to Lever performing well and our press clicking and then suddenly the Petty Forward Experiment is done…

Adam can feel hard done by.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Roost it far said:

Have you watched the VFL? The intensity is miles off AFL.

Agree VFL intensity is easy off AFL. I was trying to make a point that dropping jvr to the VFL isn't because he is being tested and that at his age and stage of development and his attitude would be exerting just as much energy.

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Yeah we are in trouble, you haven't watched us the last month?

I still have hope our best tall forward can right the ship. Although I recently rewatched mighty ducks 2 so I might be just affected by that.

Edited by rpfc
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

I'd entertain the option if you've got the liquidity now. You'll absolutely get reimbursed (in theory) if Collingwood make it.

Not that I encourage scalping as it's illegal, but grand final tickets are going to be the most in demand in the history of the AFL/VFL due to Collingwood's phenomenal crowd pulling factor.

Collingwood supporters who don't have GF guarantee will have only dreamt of paying $1,500 in July, as people will be willing to fork out astronomical amounts during grand final week.

And if the Pies don’t make it, the rest of us will have a good laugh 😆 

4 hours ago, DubDee said:

People saying if we kicked straight, we would be top or whatever - to me is just nonsense.

Its like saying if we hit targets or if we won the clearances.  It didn't happen due to skill or whatever reason

Kicking straight is part of being a top team and its a skill and a mental thing to overcome

That's just apples and oranges. 30 more accurate disposals in place of turnovers won't do much. 30 more goals in place of behinds will net multiple victories.

I trust that playing indoors tonight will help our goal kicking accuracy. Sheesh!

No issues with the weather where I am here on the Adriatic Coast (Polignana a Mare Italy). 

OK, the first sentence was merely a segway for me to be able to brag.

Anyways, an  1120h start will cut into my beach time, but we all have to make sacrifices.

Will listen and follow (on DL) so I’m banking on youse to be able to paint me a picture comparable to Michelangelo.

• Clap 1