Gather Round in Adelaide 3 year extension

My biggest problem with gather round is the choice of opponent. 

It's been spoken about in the media (mainly SEN/AFL360) as a "bonus round of footy " an "extra four points".
Yet, its the only time we play Essendon this year is that round. ( I think the same for Freo V GC) and possibly other match ups were also the only time they will meet for the year. 

How is that fair? Surely all games this round should have been against teams that you play twice in the year. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thinking 1

53 minutes ago, Stevienic23 said:

Result aside I thought it was great and I'd go over again next year. Their public transport system is miles better than ours.

I've been to Adelaide several times, granted mainly in the mid 2000's so my response to that is what public transport???

Must have improved a lot in the last 15 years. Outside of the tram to Glenelg and some very sad looking two carriage trains, you'd of been forgiven for assuming they didn't have any....

I’m glad the people of South Australia have solved transport, education, health care, housing, crime, renewable energy and jobs and can now invest 15 million so footballers can bump their average wage from 400k to 425k. That’s great.

I hate this round with an absolute passion. There was no need for a 23rd round. Already there’s too many injuries and particularly too many concussions. Now we just added more.

There’s also no lack of opportunity to travel as an AFL fan. Already as a Dees fan you could’ve gone to Perth and Brisbane. With Gold Coast, Adelaide, Hobart and Sydney to come. Not to mention Geelong!

The fixturing was outrageous. Freo played at 3pm WA time. Collingwood and St Kilda don’t play again, neither do we and Essendon. The 6 day break and double travel was a stitch up too, although serious questions must be asked of why we didn’t stay the week in Adelaide. Pert, Goody and Richo asleep at the wheel?

Port should’ve been a standalone game, it’s obvious any double up shouldn’t have included a local side.

The entire thing was rushed, which is Gil’s style (see AFLW and AFLX). So North and Brisbane played at the worlds most over-capitalised local oval in the Casey fields of Mount Barker. Which now is seemingly justification for the SA government to spend the same on ovals in the Barossa and McLaren Vale which is where they wanted to be in the first place.

Health, education and sustainable jobs in regions are all stuffed but the AFL’s preferred turf company will get a cheque and tourism will be good for 1 week.

Oh and my favourite bit, they’ve axed the round of preseason games where all 18 teams would go to the regions around the country and play on existing ovals. Don’t tell me the players are getting it easier in preseason either because they really aren’t, most clubs weren’t subtle at all about the formal intraclubs that replaced the 3rd preseason game.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Thinking 1

Maybe Adelaide and Port should both be sent to a non Adelaide Oval venue in the coming gather rounds to slightly mitigate the home ground advantage.

I know they won’t do this because money and crowds talk, but it would be fairer for the other clubs.

Edited by Bring-Back-Powell
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, leave it to deever said:

Adelaide needs somthing.

South Australia is the capital city of pork barrelling. The amount of money the state gets for submarine building and maintenance is obscene 

1 minute ago, BDA said:

South Australia is the capital city of pork barrelling. The amount of money the state gets for submarine building and maintenance is obscene 

It doesn't have the same economy as other states. As a mainland state it doesn't have a huge population. 

Wa has its mining. Vic its manufacturing.  Qland mining and tourism. Nsw all three.

Without federal help it would be the boonies.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ElDiablo14 said:

The AFL will overhype their product anytime. I don't think the gather round was a certified success, not saying it was a failure, but we need to see how it evolves in the next couple of years.

I do not like the idea of hosting the round in SA for 3 more years, I'd prefer for it to be rotated including TAS.

Like most things, there’s a lot of interest on the first occasion but it drops off for subsequent occasions. It probs won’t be known if Gather Round has been as successful as it appears until next year’s edition. I’m guessing the level of “success” will be lower. 

4 hours ago, BDA said:

South Australia is the capital city of dull.

Fixed.

There are a number of things that need fixing and I'm inclined to agree with Dee Spencer but if they're addressed, I don't have a problem with it:

1) The double-header was a fail and needs sorting

2) There should be a second bye if they're stretching it to 24 weeks. It's hard enough limping to the finals as it is.

3) Three years is too long. An extra year or two would have been enough before sending it to WA, TAS or NSW

4) I have no problem with the SA teams (or whatever state it might be) getting an extra home game - they travel more than enough as it is.

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

14 minutes ago, Roger Mellie said:

Fixed.

There are a number of things that need fixing and I'm inclined to agree with Dee Spencer but if they're addressed, I don't have a problem with it:

1) The double-header was a fail and needs sorting

2) There should be a second bye if they're stretching it to 24 weeks. It's hard enough limping to the finals as it is.

3) Three years is too long. An extra year or two would have been enough before sending it to WA, TAS or NSW

4) I have no problem with the SA teams (or whatever state it might be) getting an extra home game - they travel more than enough as it is.

what if it was a bye in itself... ie stretched over two weekends

Takes the pressure off the A0.... accommodation gets a double hit

In any event the timing of the round needs to be published 6 months at least in advance.

Many cruise ships head to Melbourne for Cup day... why not to Adelaide for football.

The football is just the event which you hang the tourist (money making) baubles off

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Takes the pressure off the A0.... accommodation gets a double hit

Actually, the accommodation providers love the single spike. The surge in demand enables them to price gouge with a plausible excuse of 'limited availability', even though actually there are still many rooms left available.

A fascinating detailed study was done of accommodation associated with the Olympics - hotels running at less than usual room occupancy rates while charging several times as much as their normal prices.

Spreading it over two weekends actually reduces the opportunity for a ruthless exploitative profit rake.

And have no doubt, that is what this round is about. Airlines and accommodation getting a little fig leaf for a weekend of price gouging.

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

1 minute ago, Little Goffy said:

Actually, the accommodation providers love the single spike. The surge in demand enables them to price gouge with a plausible excuse of 'limited availability', even though actually there are still many rooms left available.

you get to spike twice was my idea... same with the airlines

25-30k influx is the maximum Adelaide can handle. Went there a lot while working and when the Adelaide Test was on you could not get accommodation within 50k of the city.

Brisbane and Gold Coast probably has triple the accommodation by comparison

Can't see them making money if groups drive over and back in car pools

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Rossmillan said:

Just wow.

A festival of footy turned into how can we dump on South Australia.

I think it will be bigger and better next year.  I like the concept.

Me too. 
embrace the city and surrounds for what they are, instead of comparing to Melbourne or Sydney. 

• Like 3

Not interested in the logistics, we enjoyed the trip and it was great to see footy fans with all sorts of colours walking around Adelaide. They had all sorts of activities for kids and adults near the river opposite the oval. Overall the vibe was a good one we thought. 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, FritschyBusiness said:

My biggest problem with gather round is the choice of opponent. 

It's been spoken about in the media (mainly SEN/AFL360) as a "bonus round of footy " an "extra four points".
Yet, its the only time we play Essendon this year is that round. ( I think the same for Freo V GC) and possibly other match ups were also the only time they will meet for the year. 

How is that fair? Surely all games this round should have been against teams that you play twice in the year. 

If a team is playing an opposition only once in the season, playing that game at a neutral venue is the most fair way to do it isn’t it?

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Dee Zephyr said:

Not interested in the logistics, we enjoyed the trip and it was great to see footy fans with all sorts of colours walking around Adelaide. They had all sorts of activities for kids and adults near the river opposite the oval. Overall the vibe was a good one we thought. 

AFL version of comic con.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

I can’t name them - well, literally I could, only I’m not stupid - but the Demon Army ticketing wait list wasn’t down to zero like it should’ve been.

Point is, @Demon_spurs wasn’t “trying to spoil a good story with untruths.”

Thanks WCW, I actually omitted the question mark at the end of the line, made it look like I was making a statement, where I actually making a query

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Demon_spurs said:

Thanks WCW, I actually omitted the question mark at the end of the line, made it look like I was making a statement, where I actually making a query

All good, DS. Even if you were making a statement, I have a problem with how abrasive 58er can be. There’s no need for that sort of belligerence. 

9 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

I’m glad the people of South Australia have solved transport, education, health care, housing, crime, renewable energy and jobs and can now invest 15 million so footballers can bump their average wage from 400k to 425k. That’s great.

By this logic no state government should ever invest in anything until they have “solved” transport, education, housing etc? We wouldn’t be seeing much from any state government right now if that was the case. I personally can’t wait to get over to Adelaide for a weekend of footy next year. I’ll be one of many spending money in the state, who would not have spent a cent there otherwise. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

I hate this round with an absolute passion. There was no need for a 23rd round. Already there’s too many injuries and particularly too many concussions. Now we just added more.

There’s also no lack of opportunity to travel as an AFL fan. Already as a Dees fan you could’ve gone to Perth and Brisbane. With Gold Coast, Adelaide, Hobart and Sydney to come. Not to mention Geelong!

The fixturing was outrageous. Freo played at 3pm WA time. Collingwood and St Kilda don’t play again, neither do we and Essendon. The 6 day break and double travel was a stitch up too, although serious questions must be asked of why we didn’t stay the week in Adelaide. Pert, Goody and Richo asleep at the wheel?

Port should’ve been a standalone game, it’s obvious any double up shouldn’t have included a local side.

The entire thing was rushed, which is Gil’s style (see AFLW and AFLX). So North and Brisbane played at the worlds most over-capitalised local oval in the Casey fields of Mount Barker. Which now is seemingly justification for the SA government to spend the same on ovals in the Barossa and McLaren Vale which is where they wanted to be in the first place.

Health, education and sustainable jobs in regions are all stuffed but the AFL’s preferred turf company will get a cheque and tourism will be good for 1 week.

Oh and my favourite bit, they’ve axed the round of preseason games where all 18 teams would go to the regions around the country and play on existing ovals. Don’t tell me the players are getting it easier in preseason either because they really aren’t, most clubs weren’t subtle at all about the formal intraclubs that replaced the 3rd preseason game.

It was reported SA made 6 times that in revenue to what was paid to the AFL which for state like mine is actually a pretty good outcome.

I liked the concept but it does need some tweeking, ie: the Port game should have been swapped with the Richmond v Sydney game. But when the current fixture has some many anomalies I fail to see what the problem is?

Edited by Jibroni
  • Like 1

On 4/16/2023 at 6:45 PM, WalkingCivilWar said:

Couldn’t agree more because it’s unfair for the two teams who have to play them. No doubt that’ll be us one day.

It is an advantage to Adel/Port as they get an extra home game but it's not really a disadvantage for the other team if they are a Vic side as we get plenty of Vic/Vic neutral games anyway.

I can see how it is a slight disadvantage if for example we are competing with Port for top 4 and they get an extra home game but at the end of the day I'm happy to make that concession considering the GF is at the MCG and will be until at least 2058.

Edit - also I'd rather play one of the interstate sides over there than a Vic rival, it's annoying we don't get to go to a Melb/Ess game at the G this year even given the result.

Edited by Dr. Gonzo
  • Like 1