Suburban AFL map

ElDiablo14

10 hours ago, AzzKikA said:

.......I have a soft spot for the Don's...

Well you see if you flush twice it will go away. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

14 minutes ago, Rab D Nesbitt said:

Hi WCW. Yes, you obviously know Craig as well. I won't be in retro gear however. 

We do get the occasional drug house raid here unfortunately but most of the knife crime takes place in Deer (Fear) Park, Keilor and other new suburbs outside the ring road. 

Brimbank, in general.
Also the hoon capital of Vic. More cars crushed here than anywhere else. All good for the ne’er-do-wells though, they’ll just go out and steal somebody’s car. Simples.

Look out for me at the London, Rab! I’ll be dressed in red and blue. Should stand out like proverbial dog’s ****s. Not 🙃

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, AzzKikA said:

Can't help it 😭

Yes you can. It’s easy. You’re clearly not trying hard enough. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

The Melbourne Football Club originated and grew from the MCC/MCG not from the City of Melbourne 

The MCG is Home

The same MCC that took our home ground advantage away when they stopped us training at the G in 1985 SW

It ceased to be our genuine home ground from then onwards.

The thought that we have always been a part of the MCC is a nice bit of football romance from yesteryear but in reality the connection was only marginally kept afloat for some time by the MFC/MCC offering dual memberships for those MCC members who wanted to take them up.

The FD & players garnered no match day advantage (when playing at the G) vs most other Vic clubs, other than those that rarely play there including interstate clubs, from 85 onwards.

As you know we were cast out and ended up at the junction to train where no VFL matches were played at all from the time we commenced training there in 85 so no home ground advantage here either.

Since then (until maybe post the Stynes / Bailey era?) we have always been treated as the poor cousin by the MCC and asked to train in a cow paddock (until very recently) down the road at Gosch's and share facilities with multiple other codes.

This romantic view that we must be 'near' our sprititual home (in a training/HQ sense) is a lovely idea but that's all it will ever be until or unless we are willing to look at something that offers a realistic development opportunity somewhere away from and outside of the CBD/MCG precinct.

Where, as Old Dee has succinctly pointed out infinitum, all possible alternatives within those inner Melb precincts have been well and truly exhausted and are now defunct.

Even if there is some sort of development at Gosch's, surely given the constraints of all the various parties and their self-interests/agendas, we will end up in a massively compromised outcome that is not even close to A grade vs the rest of the comp?

Edited by Demon Dynasty
  • Clap 3

2 minutes ago, Demon Dynasty said:

The same MCC that took our home ground advantage away when they stopped us training at the G in 1985 SW

It ceased to be our genuine home ground from then onwards.

The thought that we have always been a part of the MCC is a nice bit of football romance from yesteryear but in reality the connection was only marginally kept afloat for some time by the MFC/MCC offering dual memberships for those MCC members who wanted to take them up.

The FD & players garnered no match day advantage (when playing at the G) vs most other Vic clubs, other than those that rarely play there including interstate clubs, from 85 onwards.

As you know we were cast out and ended up at the junction to train where no VFL matches were played at all from the time we commenced training there in 85 so no home ground advantage here either.

Since then (until maybe post the Stynes / Bailey era?) we have always been treated as the poor cousin by the MCC and asked to train in a cow paddock (until very recently) down the road at Gosch's and share facilities with multiple other codes.

This romantic view that we must be 'near' our sprititual home (in a training/HQ sense) is a lovely idea but that's all it will ever be until or unless we are willing to look at something that offers a realistic development opportunity somewhere away from and outside of the CBD/MCG precinct.

Where, as Old Dee has succinctly pointed out infinitum, all possible alternatives within those inner Melb precincts have been well and truly considered previously and are now defunct.

Even if there is some sort of development at Gosch's, surely given the constraints of all the various parties and their self-interests/agendas, we will end up in a massively compromised outcome that is not even close to A grade vs the rest of the comp?

I Repeat

The MCG is home. 
If we move away from it, other Clubs will move in. 

The ONLY decent thing Schwab did for this Club was to bring us back into the MCC

• Like 3

On 4/4/2023 at 10:50 AM, DeeSpencer said:

The other major area that we are well represented in is in and around Bentleigh. We had the Bentleigh club, the local team is the Bentleigh demons and many of our players did live in the area.

T’was born in Toorak according to my original birth certificate but never dwelt there for long. After a spell in the Goulburn Valley returned to the big smoke to live in Port Melbourne. Which back then was not upwardly, demographically, orientated like today. The local primary school was a very tough gig, with a notorious bully and his offsider lurking in the playground. Being the new kid copped it of course, but memorably at great surprise to myself, squared matters in my first school fight. Aided by the courageous intervention of another classmate to even up the numbers.

Later settled in Bentleigh which was to become part of Melbourne’s patchwork of suburban zones along with Prahran. Russell Colcott played with Bentleigh in the Federal league after his brief career at the Demons, joined Bob Johnson at Oakleigh in the VFA. Ross Brewer was at Bentleigh High School and later Brett Bailey at St Peter’s. Robert Flower was from the nearby adjoining suburb of Murrumbeena. There were probably some other local players who may have got on  MFC supplementary lists? But don’t recall those now.  

The Bentleigh connection goes back much further than the VFL creation of zones, suburban and rural.* Hugh Dunbar the 1926 Premiership ruckman, famously celebrated the flag win with his teammates at his milkbar in Centre Rd Bentleigh. Which at the time except for the outer beach side suburbs would have probably been the end of the main suburban rail line. One assumes more than milk was on offer.

*(Which proved to be a significant cause of inequality amongst the twelve league clubs over time. To perhaps paraphrase Sir Kenneth Luke VFL visionary ‘All zones are equal but some are more equal than others.’)

Of course the Demons’ exile and return to premiership glory was of almost mythic rivalry to the Odyssey. So what is the MFC heartland?

Edited by Tarax Club
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Clap 2

5 hours ago, Tarax Club said:

Later settled in Bentleigh which was to become part of Melbourne’s patchwork of suburban zones along with Prahran. Russell Colcott played with Bentleigh in the Federal league after his brief career at the Demons, joined Bob Johnson at Oakleigh in the VFA. Ross Brewer was at Bentleigh High School and later Brett Bailey at St Peter’s. Robert Flower was from the nearby adjoining suburb of Murrumbeena. There were probably some other local players who may have got on  MFC supplementary lists? But don’t recall those now.  

The Bentleigh connection goes back much further than the VFL creation of zones, suburban and rural.* Hugh Dunbar the 1926 Premiership ruckman, famously celebrated the flag win with his teammates at his milkbar in Centre Rd Bentleigh. Which at the time except for the outer beach side suburbs would have probably been the end of the main suburban rail line. One assumes more than milk was on offer.

Currently I am reading "Grand Finals - Volume I" and the 1926 chapter says that many of the Premiership Demons of 1926 settled in South Eastern Melbourne and it mentioned Carnegie and Oakleigh and surrounds.

Long time Bentleigh & East Bentleigh resident here (early years I did live in nearby Elsternwick & Ormond). Not only did the Demons own the Bentleigh Club and one of the local teams is called the Bentleigh Demons, one of the local high schools, McKinnon High School had links to MFC, it always had red & blue as its sporting colours and the school was constructed at the start of the Demons glory years of the 1950s (possibly that is why the red & blue was adopted as the school colours). Also Max Gawn went to McKinnon Secondary College. 

I went to Ormond East Primary School (now renamed McKinnon Primary School) and in the 1980s we used to have football clinics that were conducted by Demons players as we were in the Melbourne recruiting zone. Robbie Flower taught me how to handball 🏉😎

Growing up in this part of Melbourne, it always felt like Melbourne and St Kilda (closeness to Moorabbin) were the 'local teams' with strong local support.

• Like 3

Any Dees supporters in Wollongong?

My son follows USA bball ( I have no son)

It gets lonely sometimes not being able to gloat with someone.

Edited by leave it to deever
  • Haha 3

Some great stories here about being a Melbourne supporter. It all connects into the rich history and culture of the Melbourne Football Club.

My journey to become a Melbourne supporter is a little different to others. I remember in grade prep at Primary School getting the stimorol footy cards with the chewing gum. I liked the 1980s Melbourne Demons logo. I also liked drawing pictures of Monsters, Devils and Demons when I was at school. So much so that my primary school teacher in grade prep thought my parents might be devil worshippers!

When I learnt there was a football team called the Demons I just had to barrack for them! It also helped that in 1987 the Demons made the finals for the first time in many many years.

Oddly, one time, my Mum got me a St. Kilda jumper to wear from K-Mart even though I wanted a Melbourne jumper and I HATED that! I remember doing Vic-Kick (before Aus-Kick) with St. Kilda players and learning to handball and kick. They said I looked like Trevor Barker (because of ny blonde hair) and I was like "who the hell is he?".  😂😆😁🤣

My Dad was actually a Collingwood supporter but that was only because of work friends and he had a soft spot for the red and blue colours as he used to go to watch Port Melbourne play in the VFA.

I was successfully able to convert my Dad to become a Melbourne supporter as well as the rest of my family. My Mum used to have a yellow and black pencil case at school and that is why she used to barrack for Richmond. But she wasn't really that interested in football. However my Grandad and my Uncles on my Mother's side where all Carlton supporters. Although I also had an Uncle and an Aunty as well as cousins who are all Hawthorn supporters. A few of my other cousins barracked for Carlton or Essendon. Converting my Dad, Mum, brothers and sister to become Melbourne Demons supporters was pretty impressive though!

I grew up in the South-Eastern Suburbs of Melbourne. In the areas of East Burwood, Forest Hill, Glen Waverley and Mount Waverley.

My favourite Demons players growing up were Garry Lyon, Allen Jakovich, David Schwarz, David Neitz and Jeff Farmer.  I was fortunate to have a few Melbourne supporters living in my street where I grew up. There was always a handful of Melbourne supporters at both my primary school and high schools that are went to in the late 1980s and all throughout the 1990s and 2000.

However, being in the South Eastern Suburbs of Melbourne the majority of people barracked for a broad variety of clubs. This included primarily Hawthorn and Essendon supporters as the most numerous.  As well as a number of Collingwood, Richmond, Carlton, St. Kilda, Geelong and West Coast supporters. There were even a few Western Bulldogs and North Melbourne supporters, but not many.

I was lucky that Melbourne had good seasons in 1994 and 1998. Although in 1997 when the Demons won the wooden spoon it was pretty miserable.

Overall, though I have always been a pretty massive Melbourne Demons supporter since I was 6 years old. My Dad still calls me a fanatic! 🤣😂😆😁

Edited by Supreme_Demon
  • Like 2
  • Love 3

On 4/4/2023 at 5:15 PM, ElDiablo14 said:

D'landers, as you may remember I am a foreign supporter and still wrapping my head around all things footy.

Can you help me understand the influence areas/zones of the Victorian teams? 

I know of course there are some straightforward answers like Collingwood, Essendon or Richmond. 

But , is the west really a Bulldogs only area?

Where are most Dees supporters located? Perhaps I should move there 🤔

TIA.

Grew up & live in the West and you get the Bulldogs shoved down your throat (which is why I can't stand them).  Nothing worse than going to the Western Oval and being surrounded by them 😁.

• Like 1

On 4/5/2023 at 12:26 PM, Bigred said:

And if you go far enough back in time religious affiliation was a factor . Those links don’t bare repeating but I remember it was still a thing for some in the 60’s 

Irrelevant now of course

My Dad was told by his grandmother that he wasn't allowed to have Big Bob Johnson as a favourite player as Big Bob was Catholic!

• Shocked 1

On 4/5/2023 at 8:15 AM, Demonstone said:

My old man was a die-hard Collingwood fan who fathered four sons, all of whom barrack for other teams despite his best efforts and to his eternal disappointment.

Situations like this disturb me. Not the Collingwood bit, but the idea that you could lose four kids to other teams like that. It's a reminder to as all to remain ever-vigilant over the young demons in our lives.

On 4/5/2023 at 12:24 PM, leave it to deever said:

Has there been a survey why we all follow the mighty Mfc?

I suspect like me, most of us do under the said supporter  father son rule and to be honest during our dark days, I think I may have resented my old man for following them. Sorry.

All is forgiven. Tx dad. Tx Dees. Just wish I could have shared 21 with him.

Yep, I came in under the supporter father&mother-daughter rule. Both passionate fans. No torn allegiances, or put another way, no choice!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

We live in orbit of Surf Coast/Bellarine towns around Geelong. Growing up further west, my father was a staunch Melbourne supporter, with most folk in the Western District around us, being either Geelong or Collingwood, and the smattering of Hawthorn, Essendon and Carlton.

Anyways, my dear wife who is a bit too pragmatic for my liking at times, suggested to make life easy for our son, to do what others do, and just go for the local team 'Geelong' to make his life easier at school.

I was pretty clear to her that he can choose his own path and be his own person. 😇 - and internally a whole range of expletives about 'entitled and sensitive' Geelong supporters...*

Also fortunate that as a 5yo - he got to experience the joy of a premiership, that many of us didn't get as a luxury as youngsters.

*I still think Melbourne supporters are the most humble due to the barrenness of our success in the last 50 years.

Edited by Engorged Onion
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

On 4/4/2023 at 8:58 PM, WalkingCivilWar said:

The last time my car was stolen it was found by the police sitting in the driveway of a house in Melton. They told me they just happened to be driving past and suspected it was stolen since it was plastered in MFC stickers. 😂

This must be post of the week....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ve told my ‘how I came to be a Dees supporter’ story already on DL. Long story short…

Family emigrated to Aus when I was 6yo

My brothers chose Carlton

I (secretly) fell in love with the Demons

Didn’t wanna disappoint my brothers

Masqueraded as a Blues supporter for 20 years 

Came out as a Dees supporter in August 2000 upon my eldest brother’s death

My sons aren’t into footy and every single niece and nephew barracks for Carlton, so unless I get a grandchild to brainwash the Dees worshipping ends with me. 😭

• Like 4

My parents weren't really into the footy, Dad  nominally followed the Hawks and Mum was a Dee's fan, due to her Dad being a keen Melbourne supporter.

I think at about 4 years of age I found a North Melbourne medallion at school, and I loved the Kangaroo symbol, and declared myself a North supporter.

i proudly showed my Grampa, who i think was mortified. My older brother had chosen Richmond, and my sister had sold her soul to Hawthorn. I reckon my Grampa sensed he wouldn't have a grandchild who followed the Dee's, so on my next birthday my present was a Melbourne jumper, and that began my journey as a Demon.

All my siblings kids (except for my older brothers kids) received a red and blue jumper for their 1st birthday, so I am continuing a long tradition.

• Like 3
  • Love 2

The last time my car was stolen it was found by the police sitting in the driveway of a house in Melton. They told me they just happened to be driving past and suspected it was stolen since it was plastered in MFC stickers. 😂

For the flip side of that story.

My recently stolen, much loved car, was found abandoned all smashed up, in Maribynong - a looong, looong way from home. 😢

Apparently involved in a some 'really bad things' (quote from Footscray police).  Also, the thieves, used up a chunk of my etag and racked up nearly $1,000 of traffic fines in just the first 24 hours.  Then they changed the number plates so the police couldn't detect it on the roads.

Edited by Lucifers Hero
  • Sad 1
  • Angry 2

On topic:  Have always lived 'Bayside'.  Can't remember how or why I follow the mighty dees!!  I always have.  And, always will.

From a simple google search I came across this, from a decade ago...not sure if accurate: 

For our old zones (based on local goverment city boundaries):

• metro: Cities of Melbourne (part), Prahran, Caulfield (part), Moorabin (part), Mordialloc, Springvale (part), Chelsea, Shires of Bulla, Whittlesea (part)

Pretty sure we recruited the Healy brothers from the Mordialloc 'region'.

Edited by Lucifers Hero
  • Thanks 1

WCW I love your passion and support for the Demons, you seem like a kind and caring person!

Some friendly advice as you refer to the “last time my car was stolen” making it sound like a frequent event. Try not leave your keys in the car and it running in the street, it’s just too much temptation for all of those criminal supporters of the:

Pies

Blues

Bombers

Tigers

Dogs

Cats

Hawks

Roos

Saints!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Lucifers Hero said:

For the flip side of that story.

My recently stolen, much loved car, was found abandoned all smashed up, in Maribynong - a looong, looong way from home. 😢

Apparently involved in a some 'really bad things' (quote from Footscray police).  Also, the thieves, used up a chunk of my etag and racked up nearly $1,000 of traffic fines in just the first 24 hours.  Then they changed the number plates so the police couldn't detect it on the roads.

I was wondering the other day if this had turned up. That's a shocking story :( 

• Sad 1