Jump to content

  • Podcast LIVE Tonight @ 8:30pm 

  • Podcast LIVE TONIGHT @ 8:30pm      

A Day at the Races


Toorak
 Share


Recommended Posts

  • 4 weeks later...

  • 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/7/2017 at 2:37 PM, Wadda We Sing said:

WINX going around again today, going for number 21. She will go past Sunlines 14 group 1 wins if she salutes today. These horses dont come along very often, if at all!

Winx should win by 6 lengths tomorrow too ... a mate of mine likes the 2 roughies (Kaspersky & Hardham) to feature in the race for the minor placings. 

I doubt whether I'll have a bet in the race but if Winx somehow manages to not win, the 'first 4' could pay a bundle. 

How was that Caulfield cup first 4 dividend?  The hidden Hayes horse strikes again. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Macca said:

Winx should win by 6 lengths tomorrow too ... a mate of mine likes the 2 roughies (Kaspersky & Hardham) to feature in the race for the minor placings. 

I doubt whether I'll have a bet in the race but if Winx somehow manages to not win, the 'first 4' could pay a bundle. 

How was that Caulfield cup first 4 dividend?  The hidden Hayes horse strikes again. 

 

Yeah Mr Hayes has certainly come back from nowhere a few years ago. DK Weir continues to impress. Has Humidor and Galileo Chop in the big race. Yes Winx should win by 6 and you can get 6/1 on 10 lengths! Hey Doc getting up in the Manikato  last night continues the trend of outsiders getting up in the big races. I think the trend might end to day though. This ones a freak.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So what is considered the best WFA race in the world these days for the classic mile and a half.

Is it the Arc de Triomphe, the Laurel international or the Dubai race (forget the name) or the Cox Plate.

Cannot really see the Cox plate ever being at the top because of the flight times to Australia and our quarantine rules.

Seems that Winx is on a hiding to nothing today. The field is weak according to the pundits. Hope she wins.

Cheers

Edited by Diamond_Jim
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Wadda We Sing said:

Yeah Mr Hayes has certainly come back from nowhere a few years ago. DK Weir continues to impress. Has Humidor and Galileo Chop in the big race. Yes Winx should win by 6 and you can get 6/1 on 10 lengths! Hey Doc getting up in the Manikato  last night continues the trend of outsiders getting up in the big races. I think the trend might end to day though. This ones a freak.

The only worry for Winx might be interference but the field is down to 8 now.  It's a race for 2nd & 3rd for the rest.  There's 440k up for grabs for 2nd place which easily covers the total acceptance fees of $30,590. 

Even 8th place receives 100k ... and conveniently,  there are only 8 runners. 

Winx should win easing up - 10 lengths is a stretch but you never know. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Macca said:

The only worry for Winx might be interference but the field is down to 8 now.  It's a race for 2nd & 3rd for the rest.  There's 440k up for grabs for 2nd place which easily covers the total acceptance fees of $30,590. 

Even 8th place receives 100k ... and conveniently,  there are only 8 runners. 

Winx should win easing up - 10 lengths is a stretch but you never know. 

 

Yeah it would be harder now for them to gang up on her i guess. Thats a pretty good prize for last place!

I notice they give Winx a rating of 132.....well it would have to be 132 out of 132 would it? She aint done a real lot wrong!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Wadda We Sing said:

Yeah it would be harder now for them to gang up on her i guess. Thats a pretty good prize for last place!

I notice they give Winx a rating of 132.....well it would have to be 132 out of 132 would it? She aint done a real lot wrong!

I still remember Bill Collins proclaiming that "Kingston Town can't win" ... it duly flew home and won!  Won 3 Cox Plates all up so Winx would be joining exalted company if she wins today.

I've been to the Cox Plate a few times but have always gone to the trouble of getting decent seats.  Saw Northerly & Sunline win

 

Edited by Macca
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Macca said:

I still remember Bill Collins proclaiming that "Kingston Town can't win" ... it duly flew home and won!  Won 3 Cox Plates all up so Winx would be joining exalted company if she wins today.

I've been to the Cox Plate a few times but have always gone to the trouble of getting decent seats.  Saw Northerly & Sunline win

 

Wow!! ....Sunline was my favourite horse for ever......so dependable. Dr Turf was just saying on the radio, because of her 132 rating, if she ran in a Melbourne Cup She wuld have to carry 63.5.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Diamond_Jim said:

So what is considered the best WFA race in the world these days for the classic mile and a half.

Is it the Arc de Triomphe, the Laurel international or the Dubai race (forget the name) or the Cox Plate.

Cannot really see the Cox plate ever being at the top because of the flight times to Australia and our quarantine rules.

Seems that Winx is on a hiding to nothing today. The field is weak according to the pundits. Hope she wins.

Cheers

Found this link ... Weight For Age Championships: The Best Global WFA Events By Region

For the reasons you've outlined,  I'm not sure we'll ever see a truly world class field in the Cox Plate.  Other incentives could be introduced but that would almost certainly involve some hefty dollars.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Macca said:

Found this link ... Weight For Age Championships: The Best Global WFA Events By Region

For the reasons you've outlined,  I'm not sure we'll ever see a truly world class field in the Cox Plate.  Other incentives could be introduced but that would almost certainly involve some hefty dollars.

Thanks for the link Maca.

I see the Laurel is no longer run being overtaken by the Breeders Cup.

Interesting to see what is the next race Winx is set for assuming she wins today.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Thanks for the link Macca.

I see the Laurel is no longer run being overtaken by the Breeders Cup.

Interesting to see what is the next race Winx is set for assuming she wins today.

It seems there are big plans ahead DJ ... Cox Plate a Winx farewell to Melbourne?

According to Chris Waller ...

Quote

"I would say one possibly two more in Sydney and then down to Melbourne for her grand final which is the Cox Plate,"

"And then after that I would say she'd come back in the autumn - all going well - and have a few runs in Sydney then we probably owe it to the world to take her over there and have a shot in England."

The overseas tilt with Winx is likely to be for Group 1 races at the Royal Ascot Carnival such as the Prince Of Wales's Stakes (2000m) and Queen Anne Stakes (1600m) in the middle of next year.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Interesting  Macca

those two English races are not on the classics list ... the English Classic (King George VI) is 2400 metres so I assume she likes it a little shorter.

Surprised that she is missing the Dubai Cup at US$10M which is 2000 metres.

Oh to have such choices !

Humidor might have won if it didn't hang in late ... but when you're chasing a champion horse that can happen. 

Edit: Bowman just said Winx kicked again when threatened so maybe a bit of both. 

Was a good race and an exciting finish all the same. 

2000 is her distance down to 1600 so the 2 English races targeted makes sense.

 

Edited by Macca
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 Group races on Saturday (Derby day) ... the best betting day on the calendar. 

I'll be doing the form on Friday night in a comprehensive way with a view to finding some first 4 combinations. 

3 horses to win,  5 horses to come second & third with 7 horses to come fourth is my usual multiple combination. 

It used to be 3,  5 & 5 for trifectas but the lure of the big dividends for a first 4 is too strong. 

 @Wadda We Sing  @Diamond_Jim  @ProperDee @Toorak... got any ideas,  suggestions or tips? 

Edited by Macca
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Macca.  I have owned 5 racehorses over the years. 4 in Melbourne and 1up here in Brisbane.  My punting days go back to the time when the ladies in the TAB’s around Melbourne hand wrote the tickets! I really don’t have a bet very often nowadays but do enjoy lashing out at this time of the year.  

Gee, those First 4’s are hard but as you said, the potential dividends are huge.  I have a good mate that boxes 2x4xFxF but only for a low percentage. He often jags a decent return because he leaves the favourite right out of selections 1and 2.

What I have noticed over the years watching Spring Carnivals is that horses that finished 1st or 2nd at their most recent start, regardless of where that may have been, figure prominently in most races.  Moreso than at the average race meeting.  Of course, often there are quite a few runners in a race with that form, sometimes not so many.  I have had some good results by basing trifectas and particularly quinellas, around them.

Off to get my copy of the Sportsman now and will drop some selections for tomorrow in later. I already like Shillelagh in whichever race it goes round in. Huge run last start.

Cheers

PD

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Macca said:

9 Group races on Saturday (Derby day) ... the best betting day on the calendar. 

I'll be doing the form on Friday night in a comprehensive way with a view to finding some first 4 combinations. 

3 horses to win,  5 horses to come second & third with 7 horses to come fourth is my usual multiple combination. 

It used to be 3,  5 & 5 for trifectas but the lure of the big dividends for a first 4 is too strong. 

 @Wadda We Sing  @Diamond_Jim  @ProperDee @Toorak... got any ideas,  suggestions or tips? 

 

1 hour ago, ProperDee said:

Hi Macca.  I have owned 5 racehorses over the years. 4 in Melbourne and 1up here in Brisbane.  My punting days go back to the time when the ladies in the TAB’s around Melbourne hand wrote the tickets! I really don’t have a bet very often nowadays but do enjoy lashing out at this time of the year.  

Gee, those First 4’s are hard but as you said, the potential dividends are huge.  I have a good mate that boxes 2x4xFxF but only for a low percentage. He often jags a decent return because he leaves the favourite right out of selections 1and 2.

What I have noticed over the years watching Spring Carnivals is that horses that finished 1st or 2nd at their most recent start, regardless of where that may have been, figure prominently in most races.  Moreso than at the average race meeting.  Of course, often there are quite a few runners in a race with that form, sometimes not so many.  I have had some good results by basing trifectas and particularly quinellas, around them.

Off to get my copy of the Sportsman now and will drop some selections for tomorrow in later. I already like Shillelagh in whichever race it goes round in. Huge run last start.

Cheers

PD

Hi, I'm a bit late to the party and just started discovering other threads.

I thoroughly enjoy horse racing especially this time of year and I'm looking forward to future discussions and thoughts from you.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, Demon77 said:

Hi, I'm a bit late to the party and just started discovering other threads.

I thoroughly enjoy horse racing especially this time of year and I'm looking forward to future discussions and thoughts from you.

 

I sometimes get a good tip from a mate D77 but I wouldn't ever trust my own tips!

However, I've sometimes done ok with a parlay place bet (pick 4)  ... gotta really study the form though.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Macca said:

I sometimes get a good tip from a mate D77 but I wouldn't ever trust my own tips!

However, I've sometimes done ok with a parlay place bet (pick 4)  ... gotta really study the form though.

 

Cheers Macca, Derby day is my favourite and like you mentioned best betting day on the calendar. 

I owned a few horses myself but sold out about two years ago. A friend in Sydney stayed in and needless to say those horses ended up multiple city winners.

He gets some tips from the Waterhouse camp but no success lately. 

ProperDee mentioned  horses that have finished top two in their most recent starts figure prominently and that's a pattern I have followed lately.

I can't wait for the tribe to go to bed tonight, a lot of reading to do.

Edited by Demon77
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Never bought into race horses although I've had a few opportunities to do so (part owner only!)

I do have a first cousin who was a high profile bookmaker though ... retired now.  We share the same way of thinking - percentage plays,  analysis,  probability factors etc. 

Bookies can do well unless they're not totally switched on.  As for us punters,  we need a good dose of luck just to break even.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have had a bit of a study today and come up with a few at Flemington.  I am not a fan of favourite runners (although there is great value tomorrow if you are).

Race 1 - 12 Almighty,  Race 4 - 6 Vengeur Masque Race 5 - 6 Jukebox,  Race 7 - 11 Ocean's Fourteen, Race 8 - 9 Shillelagh.

I will also have a go at Lola's Diamond on the Gold Coast, Race 3 - 6 and Monteaux at Doomben, Race 3 - 3.

Good luck fellas.

Cheers

PD

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Decided on trifecta's in the end.  I'm feeling lucky - I've got a few of your tips included@ProperDee so here's hoping.  Thanks for the heads up on the 2 tips in QLD.  A trifecta @ Doomben race 3 looms large.

For what it's worth I'm also going to parlay up 4 races (each way on each selection)  All 4 horses will run close to being favourite but I just reckon all 4 should be in the finish.  But it's buyer beware ladies & gentlemen ... I'm often the world's worst tipster.

Race 2 no.1 Bring Me Roses

Race 3 no.5 Nieta (now there's an omen)

Race 7 no.1 Ace High

Race 8 no.1 Tosen Stardom

 

Good punting to all

Mac

 

 

 

 

 

 

.

Edited by Macca
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Main Stage in the Derby is part owned by Dusty and a few other Richmond boys. 

I won't be backing it because I don't do Richmond well but everything they touch has turned to gold this year especially Mr Main Stage himself.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    A LITTLE MAGIK by George On The Outer

    With the game against Carlton all but lost, there was little chance the Demons could pull this one from out of the fire … with a little bit of magiK!   MagiK with a “K” in the form of Kysaiah Pickett, who miraculously managed to get foot to ball in the dying seconds to secure the win for the Demons. Along with plenty of magiK from Jake MelKsham during the game. Marking the ball while lying on his back, dancing through a bevy of Carlton backmen to score and then marking among three tall

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    GREY INTO WHITE by KC from Casey

    The rains came as predicted to Casey Fields on Sunday along with a fair lashing of wind that made for the type of game that you expect in such inhospitable conditions - a grim, dour festival of scrappy football made for strong-bodied sides such as the undefeated competition leaders. And so it came to pass that the Casey Demons were able to trample over Carlton’s VFL side in the final half of their Round 21 match up to maintain their undefeated record for 2022. The victory under grey skies w

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    DOWNFALL? by Whispering Jack

    Half a season ago, Saturday night’s Round 22 match up between Melbourne and Carlton would have been looked upon as a mouthwatering contest to determine positions at the top of the AFL mountain in the lead up to an exiting finals series for both clubs. However, this once much-anticipated contest is today considered almost as a consolation event between two of the most disappointing teams in the competition. At least the Blues have some sort of excuse for their downfall — they have been dogge

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    HORSING AROUND by George On The Outer

    Before the match it was claimed that Collingwood were a “one trick pony” side.  Well that one trick worked very well against Melbourne, as they extended their winning streak to 11 for the season. Meanwhile, the Demons continued to horse around with structures which simply haven’t been working. The one tall forward option with resting rucks failed yet again, in an almost identical manner to the game against the Bulldogs recently.  93 more possessions, 65 inside 50 entries 24 more than the op

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE BUBBLE by The Oracle

    "I feel like we've got more than enough experience in close games. It'd be nice to win one by five or six goals and have that pulse lower a little bit late in games, but that's not our story." — Scott Pendlebury on the eve of his team’s forthcoming Round 21 game against Melbourne. When you read words such as these, you know it’s time for Melbourne fans to be humble. The old enemy is up and about while our mantle of invincibility has vanished into thin air. A Magpie win against the Demons wo

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    ANCHORS AWEIGH! by George on the Outer

    So came the cry from the Dockers as the S.S. Fremantle set sail with the hopes of all of their supporters on board on the mighty ship. Their task was to do nothing more than to defeat the Melbourne side and a top four position on the ladder was assured. The problem for them was that their leaky boat came up against the mighty battleship - Team Demon and it didn’t take long after they left port for their vessel to develop a multitude of leaks. The first salvo was fired by First Officer

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SWEET SIXTEEN by KC from Casey

    The game was an uneven match up from the very beginning. The Casey Demons, representing an alignment between the reigning premiers Melbourne and the outer southeastern expansion area centred around a sprawling Cranbourne with its rapid population growth and the stand alone Northern Bullants from the inner north who sit at the foot of the VFL table. With 14 AFL listed players and a couple more having experience at the elite level opening with the breeze at their backs, the result was inevitable.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THE HUNGER GAME by Whispering Jack

    The game may well have taken place a day short of ten weeks ago but the atmospherics surrounding Friday night’s match between Melbourne (then Narrm) and Fremantle are light years apart from those that prevailed when the teams last faced off the MCG in late autumn. On one hand, the Demons were in the midst of a 17 game winning spree that included a drought breaking premiership victory. On the other, the Dockers were coming off a six goal thrashing at Optus Stadium in teeming rain against a then s

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    DOG-TIED by KC from Casey

    The Casey Demons were extended early against rivals Footscray VFL in their matchup played in wet and greasy conditions at VU Whitten Oval on Saturday but, after establishing their authority in the second quarter, they were able to tie up their opponents at the end to maintain their undefeated run which now stands at 15.  The game began under grey threatening skies and the wet conditions turned the game into a tight slog with scoring kept down to a minimum. The Demons were held goalless agai

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    DOG DAY by George On The Outer

    It is said that every dog has its day and that was certainly the case when the Western Bulldogs defeated Melbourne under the roof at the Docklands on Saturday night.   While the Dogs were certainly at the very top of their game, the same couldn’t be said of the Demons. All around the ground, dismal individual performances and dismal team performances were the order of the day.  Fans should have been worried right from the start as the game turned into a goal-fest. This is not their team’

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    RAINING CATS & DOGS by Whispering Jack

    Despite winning their game in the Red Centre at the weekend, the consensus among the pundits is that Melbourne’s days in the sun are over. Ten rounds into the season, they were the competition’s top dogs and regarded virtually unbeatable but their recent form (three wins from the last seven games) has put them well below par, perilously clinging onto second spot on the ladder with storm clouds on the horizon. The air of invincibility that once surrounded them is gone and the Demons face a t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE KOZZY SHOW by George On The Outer

    Q: Melbourne is playing Port Adelaide at Traeger Park, Alice Springs and once again, it doesn’t have a properly functioning forward line — so from where were the goals going to come?   A: Kysaiah Pickett.     In a one man show in front of his adoring fans, he racked up six majors to give the Demons the edge in the game and to finally run out winners by 14 points.     The result could well have been very different without his efforts with Melbourne failing to score a major

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...