Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

CHANGES: Rd 04 vs Port Adelaide

Demonland

https://www.coronavirus.vic.gov.au/checklist-contacts

Checklist for household or household-like contacts: 

• Isolate at home for 7 days.
  • Test asap
  • Test again after 6 days

Assuming the second test is negative, Brown will be available and can fly out Thursday morning and make the game. 

Whether that is what the club chooses is another question.  And if he does play who is dropped?

Edited by Lucifers Hero
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

the issues around BBB are whether he contracts the virus from his close contact. If so the 6/7 day clock starts from that day.

There is nothing to stop him relocating to a private place where training is easier ( home gym and running area)provided he can drive himself there.A nearby rural property would be ideal

Would like to think that the club has thought this all through well in advance and has various contingency plans and options for both single and partnered players

If his partner or kids have it he's either got it by now or going to be one of those mysterious people who come in to contact with it but avoid contracting it.

An extra day of isolation is probably preferable than dodging the inevitable and leaving his partner and kids alone unless they prefer that option.

• Like 1

T Mac plays a different game structurally to that which was played by Weid last night. It is actually more like that which SW has been playing in the VFL.

Assuming BBB plays I think Weid will be selected in the T Mac role.

The Adelaide weather next week is looking good with a medium breeze and around 22 at opening bounce

• Like 2

I actually thought it was the way Essundun  used the ball to set Wright up for the lead.   So more a problem mid field. He was far too quick for May, and if he was flattened after a mark  an easy 50m penalty.  No chance to miss.

• Like 2

Gee it feels good to barrack for a very good side,  I can be smug all weekend and just smile, and enjoy reading the Saturday papers

• Like 5

11 hours ago, rpfc said:

He had a double pressure smother that then went down the other end when the game was there to be grabbed. 

He is not missing, mate, you’re not looking at the right things.

I saw that, was impressed with that passage of play. But he does go missing in games, the throw away line of “pressure acts” or “not understanding his/someone’s role” gets used a lot here and is currently worn out. I’m not suggesting he gets dropped but like a few of our players at the moment, they’re just travelling. No reason for concern, it’s a long season and they’ll all fire when required.

• Like 3

I’d drop Spargo and give Chandler a chance. Lever comes in for Smith, who hasn’t done too much wrong, just needs to work on his marking, and can do that in the VFL until a spot becomes available. TMAC goes out for Brown, no brainer, Stewart absolutely toweled him last night. It was a bad game for us. Multiple changes need to be made when we struggled with an undermanned Essendon outfit, who really are no better than a good VFL side at present.

• Facepalm 3
  • Vomit 1

29 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

I would've put May on to the deepest forward considering he sat so deep and seemed to constantly be worried about what was behind him rather than his opponent, put Tomlinson forward/bench (or sub) which is where Tom played a lot of the last quarter anyway, and had Tom closely checking Wright.

May on Wright was a disaster. Otherwise May played ok but no one could've done any worse than May did on Wright because he let him run around and do whatever he wanted.

Wright had maybe a good 10 minute patch throughout a 2 hour game.

• Like 3
  • Thinking 1

I am going to the game on Thursday night in Adelaide, have not been there before - is there somewhere where all the Dees supporters sit? Don't really feel like being surrounded by Port filth.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Demon17 said:

Would have been worth a try , But May did some great saving work and direction last night and his defensive instincts are elite compared to most, incl TMac

He gave away 100mm in height against Wright who is turining out well for the Bombers. (193cm  vs 203 cm)

Thank you!

they don’t call him 2 metre Peter for no reason! If you kick it to Wrights advantage May is helpless. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, FritschyBusiness said:

Wright had maybe a good 10 minute patch throughout a 2 hour game.

Had a couple of good patches, but they also only had about 30 inside 50’s and he snagged 5 of them. When May stuck to him he beat him almost every time, as did our rucks chopping out.

The issue was May was either injured or mentally off with the fairies and worried about covering space. 

Im hoping it’s the latter and the coaches can get it right. The message is simple, when your man is within scoring range and you’ve haven’t handed over the job to up field defenders to mind him make sure you stick on him. May tries to cover the entire back 50 and there’s time he has to back team mates in to do their job and stick with his.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Webber said:

Simply no chance Joel Smith goes out. He, May (albeit beaten by the best marking forward so far this year along with Harry McKay), Gus and Bowey have been holding the backline together ably - in fact with Bowey, like a genius little Napoleon. And what’s with Gus’ 20 marks last night?! Tomlinson and Hunt are vulnerable. We should all expect Sam W to stay in, given he produced our best forward performance this year so far, but stranger things have happened. He’s been playing the ruck-forward-mobile tall role at Casey, so can do the Tmac role, the BBB role, and the Luke Jackson role. With Tmac’s form flatline, it seems obvious that if BBB comes in, Weid replaces Tmac, no? Goody loves minimising changes though, so who knows. 

Boy Sams got a busy game coming up!

He is there to kick goals and provide very limited ruck role which I think  suits home getting him warmed ip and involved.

Hats  off to Sammy last night he was great and that's the Sam we hoped for !

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

I think it's an easy call?

You drop the bloke that's been completely out of form since the Hawthorn game last year.

It's honestly astonishing that supporters believe that team selection is based on form only. 

The only reason T Mac has still been playing is because of structure, flexibility and because Weed hadn't done enough to demand a spot. It's pretty much the same for when O Mac was consistently being played when stinking it up. 

Weed has held his spot, has proved more valuable from an output point of view in a single game compared to T Mac and will therefore take his spot when Brown comes back next week. If that doesn't happen, I'll never post here again. Bank it. If Brown doesn't play obviously T Mac stays. 

Tom McDonald was equal lowest in touches last night with only 6. That's fine if you're doing a lot of work off the ball. But he was worse off the ball and allowed Stewart to look like a star defender at times. Tom was comprehensively beaten off the ball by Stewart whenever they were matched up. If you're not marking, kicking goals or getting touches, you've got to bring the ball to ground and Tom couldn't do that on many occasions. 

I genuinely have no idea what people watch sometimes. They see the selection table and believe that T Mac being in means he must be in form. Couldn't be further from the truth and Wednesday night will reveal all. 

The only way he plays is if Brown somehow doesn't get up. Or if Lever doesn't either and T Mac plays defence. 

• Like 7

47 minutes ago, KingDingAling said:

I’d drop Spargo and give Chandler a chance. Lever comes in for Smith, who hasn’t done too much wrong, just needs to work on his marking, and can do that in the VFL until a spot becomes available. TMAC goes out for Brown, no brainer, Stewart absolutely toweled him last night. It was a bad game for us. Multiple changes need to be made when we struggled with an undermanned Essendon outfit, who really are no better than a good VFL side at present.

Smith has just played his best game, in a season where he is gaining confidence. I would not drop him in any way shape or form! Tomlinson, on the other hand is much more vulnerable! T Mac Definately on notice and he could go if BBB is over his Covid.

• Like 7

There is no way known that Weed will get dropped. The message that would send would gut players fighting for their chance. You don’t tell players to get themselves prepared in the twos and that their chance will come and then drop them after they grab that chance with both hands.

Weed will be playing next week, no doubt

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Ben Brown in for Tom McDonald is a no-brainer. If Lever is fit, then Jayden Hunt will make way.

• Like 1

I said Hunt will make way for Lever which might be true, but Hunt could possibly keep his spot in the team until Hibberd or Salem are fit. Tomlinson could be the one who loses his spot in the team for Lever, considering that is more like for like. Tomlinson looks shaky, weak at ground level and not fully confident is his knee yet. I don't think he's ready for this level of football at the moment. Let him regain some confidence at VFL level.

Just realising that Port will be comming off the same 6 day break as us, which is a good leveler in that sense.  Although they have been playing like puss and we really should take care of them, I'm concerned they'll be super desperate and turn it into a dog fight like the Dons.

Though I've been impressed that the players we've bought in four our injured premiership players, it really would be good to get back some key defenders like Petty and Lever over the next few weeks to a month.

Conversely, will be interesting to see how Dunstan goes this week as well, as if Trac I sufficiently injured and needs a spell I'd like to see how he goes in our outfit.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, demoncat said:

The Brown/TMac/Weid conundrum only gets harder! It would be really stiff to drop Weid after what was a career best performance, but as some others have said its difficult to see how those three can fit into the same forward line. 

I'm also split on TMac at the moment. It's clear that his form has dropped off considerably since his amazing start to 2021, but its also clear that he plays an important role in our structure that helps players like Brown and Fritsch to shine. Not to mention his great aerobic abilities. 

Having said that you have to wonder if he's only averaging a goal a game and is repeatedly getting out marked, is his mere presence in our structure enough? Clearly Goody and co. reckon it is, but gee I think Weid did well last night and if TMac's dip in form continues, I'd be curious to see what dropping TMac for Weid would do for us (for better or worse!)

Yea it's a tough call.

But you could not drop Sw after last nights effort.

But with Lever back Tmac won't play defence.

And if Bbb back in, it's hard to see him Tmac play up fwd.

Tom was an integral part of much of our flag success but he did drop off during finals and seems the same this year somewhat.

But he's one of my favorite players and a very accurate kick on goal so I would be sad to see him dropped. But that's footy.

Will be a interesting selection this week.

• Like 2

Lever’s only had the 1 preseason game weeks ago. Are we sure he shouldn’t have a run at Casey for touch?

We need the good Lever back. Not sure we need a rusty version  that drops marks and isn’t in good touch at ground level 

Especially when the structure gets a little thrown out as the rest of the backline isn’t set in roles as much as last year 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Lever’s only had the 1 preseason game weeks ago. Are we sure he shouldn’t have a run at Casey for touch?

We need the good Lever back. Not sure we need a rusty version  that drops marks and isn’t in good touch at ground level 

Especially when the structure gets a little thrown out as the rest of the backline isn’t set in roles as much as last year 

Guess it depends on his form on the training track. If Lever is training well, then he is way too good to be playing at Casey