Are we capitalising on our on-field successes?

Mach5

I would hope that in the short term we are making the most of sponsorship and revenue opportunities, but I'm convinced that it takes a full generation to turn a low-mid tier club into a sustained powerhouse.

Hawthorn's dominance in the late 80s finally bore fruit in the late 00s when those 80s kids started indoctrinating their kids and buying them membership. You could argue that Richmond's premierships in the early 80s gave them a supporter base to ride out 30 years of mediocrity, but those 80s kids and their kids and grandkids were all primed by 2017.

We all know Melbourne has an ageing supporter base. The only way this is going to change is by the Melbourne supporting kids of today converting their friends and ultimately their kids in 20 years time.

• Like 6

19 hours ago, Mach5 said:

This isn’t about focusing on Pert, or any one individual. I’m looking at the actions or inaction of the club as a whole. 

But PJ & Roos changed the culture.

I believe that in footy, you generally reap what has been sewn 5 years prior.

If you want to focus on Pert, I’m not exactly a fan, but I’ve been more critical of how he was appointed, which is actually a criticism of Bartlett.

That's your opinion, but it's not one that's shared by our club captain.

But carry on with your snide posts with no substance.

18 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Yes I am aware that schools are finally opening up Bash.. I am talking as a whole for the past 18 months which you are pretty much referring too.

You're not going to get a rush of AFL players into schools for a while if not any this year.

The risk on player's now catching covid will be significant and clubs will still be putting restrictions on player's being put and about in the community. 

Could be a good role for Jones. 

Still recognised as an emblem of the club and will give him an opportunity to appraise future schools for his kids. 

4 hours ago, Mach5 said:

For those not clever enough to read between the lines, clearly I have information that I’m not willing to divulge, but it appears most will only find out after the fact. If you ever realise at all, I guess. Maybe I expected too much in the way of others knowing these details and being able to tease them out.

It’s also clear that there aren’t many willing to play devil’s advocate or objectively ask questions. The general response is that this is an attack on the club & must be defended. Winning a flag papers over a myriad of sins.

Sure.

2 hours ago, poita said:

I would hope that in the short term we are making the most of sponsorship and revenue opportunities, but I'm convinced that it takes a full generation to turn a low-mid tier club into a sustained powerhouse.

Hawthorn's dominance in the late 80s finally bore fruit in the late 00s when those 80s kids started indoctrinating their kids and buying them membership. You could argue that Richmond's premierships in the early 80s gave them a supporter base to ride out 30 years of mediocrity, but those 80s kids and their kids and grandkids were all primed by 2017.

We all know Melbourne has an ageing supporter base. The only way this is going to change is by the Melbourne supporting kids of today converting their friends and ultimately their kids in 20 years time.

so the club should rely on the supporters to do this?

Usually a fan of your intel Mach5, particularly around trade time. However, this 'I know something that you don't and I'm not going to tell' malarkey is tiresome and looks like you are deliberately provoking reactive demonlanders with the most buttons to press, which has been the result. Hope you're having fun

Btw, I was under the impression that wild rumours without substantiation were not permitted on this site???

Edited by Stiff Arm
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Mach5 said:

clearly I have information that I’m not willing to divulge, but it appears most will only find out after the fact. If you ever realise at all, I guess.

PM me what you know Mach

i dare you…

What is it that we will only realize after the fact?

Big Statements…

i have said it before….

FESS UP

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Stiff Arm said:

Usually a fan of your intel Mach5, particularly around trade time. However, this 'I know something that you don't and I'm not going to tell' malarkey is tiresome and looks like you are deliberately provoking reactive demonlanders with the most buttons to press, which has been the result. Hope you're having fun

Btw, I was under the impression that wild rumours without substantiation was not permitted on this site???

'Mach', hasn't spread any rumours.

Just says he knows some things that he won't pass on.

Would love to know what it's about but in the end it's his know and his to pass on... or not.

15 minutes ago, Stiff Arm said:

Btw, I was under the impression that wild rumours without substantiation was not permitted on this site???

There isn’t any fun in this.

I’m just agitating towards getting people to ask the right questions, but I’m not sure I can give this the time it needs to coherently work towards that.

And there’s reasons why I have to be careful what I say. If it’s not already obvious, I’m not really interested in my “reputation” on this board. 

The perception of personal vendettas aside, I don’t care who does it; I just want our club to capitalise on these opportunities like other strong clubs have done in the past. If Pert does it, I’ll lick his boots.

But I want it done.

• Facepalm 1

1 minute ago, Mach5 said:

I’m just agitating towards getting people to ask the right questions, but I’m not sure I can give this the time it needs to coherently work towards that.

And there’s reasons why I have to be careful what I say. If it’s not already obvious, I’m not really interested in my “reputation” on this board. 

The perception of personal vendettas aside, I don’t care who does it; I just want our club to capitalise on these opportunities like other strong clubs have done in the past. If Pert does it, I’ll lick his boots.

But I want it done.

Sure, but what evidence do you have that this isn't being done, given that its only a few months since we won a flag, $2mill+ profit, our membership is 25% up, sponsorship is up, merch sales went through the roof, key players are re-signing long deals, etc

Are things tracking down in your eyes? Are there MFC staff fractures?

No one is asking you to give detailed info that you claim to have, no need for photos involving goats, but surely you can supply more than a couple of innuendo hand grenades. You've replied to many on here, so you are clearly interested in this info coming out. Until there's more info out, you'll just get the same outraged posters trying to shut the thread down 

Dish it up in a riddle, if you like 🤣🤣🤣

As I said, I usually enjoy reading your posts

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, rjay said:

Yes he has

Until solid evidence is produced, it is nothing more than Rumours 

In his earlier comments he says “we may not even see it until it’s passed us by…”

that is pure agitated Rumours 

you have to back up comments like that

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Mach5 said:

I’m just agitating towards getting people to ask the right questions, 

There is an old saying that “you can lead a horse to water but you cannot make him drink”. But in your case, you haven’t even led us to the water.

This is a disgraceful post imo. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Mach5 said:

For those not clever enough to read between the lines, clearly I have information that I’m not willing to divulge, but it appears most will only find out after the fact. If you ever realise at all, I guess. Maybe I expected too much in the way of others knowing these details and being able to tease them out.

It’s also clear that there aren’t many willing to play devil’s advocate or objectively ask questions. The general response is that this is an attack on the club & must be defended. Winning a flag papers over a myriad of sins.

I take this as your only statement of fact.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mach5 said:

clearly I have information that I’m not willing to divulge

You do not cover your self with glory with a statement like that, as you can never be proved wrong.

If something did come out we will never know if it was what you are alluding too and if it stays quiet then it just hasnt come out yet.

Just a tease really

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Mach5 said:

But I want it done.

What you know is yours to keep.  No problem.

I think we all want our club to capitalise on opportunities. 

Genuine question: what things would you like done?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rjay said:

Just says he knows some things that he won't pass on.

Would love to know what it's about but in the end it's his know and his to pass on... or not.

He's absolutely entitled not to share what he knows, but what is the point of playing devil's advocate and making negative claims against the club if you cannot back it up?

On the surface we seem to be doing very well post flag. If someone has information to the contrary, either share it and  raise concerns, or say nothing. 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Lucifers Hero said:

What you know is yours to keep.  No problem.

I think we all want our club to capitalise on opportunities. 

Genuine question: what things would you like done?

Investment in the future.
Some detailed strategic planning. Investment in resources to implement said strategy. 
Tapping into the markets that are under our nose, but snobbery seems to stop us from doing anything with them.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Mach5 said:

Investment in the future.
Some detailed strategic planning. Investment in resources to implement said strategy. 
Tapping into the markets that are under our nose, but snobbery seems to stop us from doing anything with them.

Agreed on the future and strategic planning.  I said similar in my post earlier in this thread albeit it was planning around funding, use and sponsorship of our new facilities.

I guess by the last sentence you mean Casey and surrounds.  Yes, I would also like to see us develop that market as well.  We have a red and blue presence through the VFL/W and AFLW and it is our training ground for at least this year.  If we don't make the most of that presence other clubs will move in.  Its a short hop for the Hawks in Dingley, Saints in Bayside etc.

I'll give the club the benefit of the doubt and say that covid restrictions have made this difficult for the last few years but yeah I would like to see a plan on how we develop this area and make it a heartland.

The club did a fantastic job of harnessing support in Perth with giveaways, a demon van and lots of other stuff so we have the know how.  Would love to see them make a long term commitment to a campaign there.  Sadly, I fear they won't and that it may go the way of the Bentleigh Club.  Up until 8 years ago it was a welcoming place to watch the footy with other dedicated dees fans.  After a while it became an insufferable experience.

Edited by Lucifers Hero

5 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Well

Having my name on the Premiership flag is rather special.

Thanks MFC !!!!

Agreed! Love this club!

Back on topic, it’s still in the back of my mind to think last year was a one off season even though we have a bloody good system.

do others think this to?

we have been a crappy club to follow for a long period of time, we really really need a good decade to grab kids on board with us. We lost a few generations who jumped ship unless they had a house hold who said it’s Melbourne or you’re out ;)

if we can win a couple more flags then I think in time it will get us with a bigger fan base

Edited by Demongirl35
  • Like 2

I can't believe I just invested 20 minutes in trawling through this thread. Not a single fact or even a piece of information that might be a fact. Those of us who don't work in the club can only judge performance by results. We are not privvy to current commercial and growth strategies. If someone puts some facts in front of me I might have an opinion but what is going on here is absolutely childish.

If we judge how the club has performed in the near past we can only applaud. Some facts have been laid down about commercial success and improved financial position. These are all in the public record. Our membership growth looks solid but we are only going to be able to judge how well we have capitalised on the flag after this year is done. All of this innuendo and 'I know a terrible secret but I can't tell you' rubbish is an absolute waste of everyone's time.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1