• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Chunky

picket fence

22 minutes ago, Jaded said:

No you’re doing an even worse thing. You’re robbing him of a milestone that he has rightfully earnt after years of carrying a rubbish team on his shoulders.

A good strong club would never do that. 

No I'm nob robbing him of the right to a 300th game!

Edited by picket fence

It's unlikely that Jones would be the reason we win or lose against Richmond.  His replacement would be the 22nd player and it's unlikely they'd make the difference either.  It's also unlikely they would have the same emotional impact as Jones in his 300th game.  Jones has earned the right to play a milestone game on a big stage and other than the GF this is about as big as it gets for us.  I'm sure he won't let himself or his team down.

• Like 7

He is a legend of the club, and will play against Richmond 100% 

The boys will lift for him and want to win even more for his 300th.

Those calling for him to be dropped have no idea about footy clubs.

• Like 5
  • Love 2

Just now, DeeZee said:

Spot on

Next week is one of the biggest games for the MFC in my lifetime

I'm pumped this champion gets to play 300 and we all get to see it

• Like 3

They could go the cop out option and play him as sub.

He technically suits up for a game of footy and earns his 300th without actually  playing. Chandler was the round 1 sub and the records show that he earned his second career game that day.

But he’ll be playing next week and if you listened to Lever in the post game, the players are absolutely pumped to share in his 300th on a big occasion that is Anzac Eve.

2 minutes ago, DeeZee said:

Hnmm well Dee Zee I hope you are right!

• Like 1

If you want Junior McDonald redux, this would be a good way to do so.

I never get why some view our players like they are some type of serfs, who need give 100% loyalty and commitment, but should be given the Old Yeller treatment as soon as they start to slip.

It was that attitude that saw the deluge of players leave the joint from 2010-2014. Publicly humiliating the most loyal bloke in our football club (and arguably of the last twenty years) would cause pretty severe tears in the fabric of the joint.

9 minutes ago, dimmy said:

Can we please enjoy the moment !!!

You're right Dimmy. Goodwin has confirmed he'll play so no point debating it any further. We should all get behind him for the big milestone.

He's been a warrior for us. Ploughed a lonely furrow for many a year. 3 best and fairests. Stuck with us when nobody could have blamed him for seeking a trade away. He deserves the recognition and adulation.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, John Crow Batty said:

If Jones gave two hoots about this club he would drop himself this week or call out a blighty. He has all season to get his 300. His form has declined from workmanlike to ordinary to now poor so far this season. He knows he’s playing lousy football and way off the pace. He’s being selfish.

GFY. That bloke stuck around through 4 rebuilds and when we were a laughing stock he held his head up and lead the club. He doesn’t select the team and if picked he will be a lift to the players that get to play with him on a huge occasion for him and the club. 

And lastly, players only want to redeem themselves so you saying that he should ‘drop himself’ is betraying your footy knowledge. 

I expect this from PF so if you want to follow in foot steps, you’re tracking the wrong poster.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Colin B. Flaubert said:

If you want Junior McDonald redux, this would be a good way to do so.

I never get why some view our players like they are some type of serfs, who need give 100% loyalty and commitment, but should be given the Old Yeller treatment as soon as they start to slip.

It was that attitude that saw the deluge of players leave the joint from 2010-2014. Publicly humiliating the most loyal bloke in our football club (and arguably of the last twenty years) would cause pretty severe tears in the fabric of the joint.

Where am I humiliating him? I have written and eulogised him as a terriffic player of the club. 

Edited by picket fence
  • Like 1

Can’t see how it makes sense in any way to drop him. And for what - so Sparrow or some other marginal player can play? Chunk can come back in and play his 300th in Hobart. Good one.

He deserves his 300th to be on a big stage in front of a huge home crowd. The crowd deserves it too. For years he was our only good player. Even if the team is marginally worse for it - and to be clear I think that’s very much debatable anyway - then so be it.

The only thing I’m disappointed about is that I can’t be there next week.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, picket fence said:

Well thats it from me over and out!

Glad to hear because this is a ridiculous thread, and you should know better. 

Can you imagine every single game, every training session, every interview you had to do for 10 years was going to be nothing but sh it because your club was the worst in the comp?! As Nasher said he deserves this big stage to be celebrated.

ps nice way to go and hide, enjoy the snakes at Casey.

Edited by Cards13

He plays this week. It's the right thing to do on a number of levels.

However, I think he eventually has to make way as we bring Weideman, B Brown and Fritsch back into the side. Spots are limited and he's playing a forward/mid role that we could use Melksham or TMac in, freeing up room forward of centre.

So let's celebrate his 300th and hopefully we can win a memorable game to honour him. But from there, IMO he's not best 22 and he should head back to Casey unless/until that changes.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Billy said:

Can’t we just applaud Chunk in his 300th game & celebrate his enormous contribution.

l thought he should’ve retired after the prelim in 2018, but he’s fought on and & now deserves his spot in the limelight 

Stand up Dees fans and applaud Jonesy career.  We will celebrate one of our very best players get to 300 games. He has the heart of a warrior.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Swooper1987 said:

It's unlikely that Jones would be the reason we win or lose against Richmond.  His replacement would be the 22nd player and it's unlikely they'd make the difference either.  It's also unlikely they would have the same emotional impact as Jones in his 300th game.  Jones has earned the right to play a milestone game on a big stage and other than the GF this is about as big as it gets for us.  I'm sure he won't let himself or his team down.

well said Swooper.  

I'm all for Jones getting his 300 game milestone . Then  I really hope we move on and not refer to his past to justify games.  Otherwise where does the nostalgia stop?  

Will we/he want to break MFC (Neitz's) games record:another 7 games.  Will we/he want to play finals?  The GF?

It is really important he gets the 300 but for mine, future games are on performance (and who he is keeping out of the side) and fan nostalgia needs to focus on team success and the future. 

• Like 4

Bottom line.... there are certain 'Special' players that define a club and set the standards for all to follow.  Both ON and OFF the track and on game day.

They DON'T grow on trees.

And they set these standards week after week.  Month after month.  Year after year.  Regardless of how the rest of the team might be coping/playing.

They are there bringing a level of acceptable, and in many cases higher, standards for others to follow and mark themselves by.

Chunk was (still is!) the fire, the guts, the blood, sweat and tears that kept the spirit and flame of the club burning through some very dark years.  IMHO the darkest i've witnessed in my short 50 years following this club.

The Jones boy has earned  his moment. This week, on this stage, many times over and over and over!

The impact he will have on all those around on the night you cannot put into words, nor can it be measured or easily defined.  Spirit, guts and great loyalty.  It might even help get us over the line on the night.

Go get em Jones Boy!  What a role model for this club.  Love ya son!

Edited by Rusty Nails
  • Like 3

It is what it is and he’s going to play. Don’t dwell on it and just enjoy and celebrate what he has done for our club. He stayed loyal, he stayed determined to get us back to finals level. He was my favourite player since he came to the club and although he isn’t the same player he’s love for the club is. 
we need an extra boost this Saturday because before the fourth qtr we looked flat.

we can’t be that way against the tigers