Posting Unsubstantiated Rumours on this Website is Strictly Forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Eddie McGuire Steps Down Effective Immediately

Demonland

He was excellent at turning around Collingwood and getting them to the top, but terrible when they were already at the top.

The two roles need different skills and Eddie showed that he's a far better salesman than he is a manager, cc as shown by his time at Nine. Unfortunately he was the last one to realise it 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Every fan of every club dreams of a having president as effective for their club as Eddie.

Every fan of every club has nightmares of having a president who embarrasses their club as often and as badly as Eddie.

If he'd stepped down 10 or 12 years ago his reputation would have been unimpeachable.

He got to close to the subject matter. He was Collingwood and Collingwood was Eddie.

His farewell speech today ... the first part sounded like he was explaining why the Collingwood Football Club should be returned to parliament.

The second part sounded like he was preparing for the afterlife. Like he was delivering his own eulogy. Hey Eddie ... there's life after Collingwood.

"The first time I went to Vic Park, that's the first time in my life I felt a part of a group or a community." (paraphrased). That explains quite a bit. Collingwood meant everything to Eddie. And because of that he hung on too long.

And so he goes, with a tarnished reputation. Even as a renowned media performer, he seemed to have lost his mojo. Getting bested in an interview by Tony Jones. Always blowing his stack at the mildest questioning. No, politics was never in his future. He would have lasted as long as Mal Maninga.

Vale Eddie McGuire. Good for Collingwood. Not good for football.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, The heart beats true said:

Nope, not even close. Made a massive misstep with Goodes, oversaw a club that was proven to be racist after that, and then called it ‘a proud day’. 

He has lost his ability to read the room. They had no choice but to push him out. 

The great irony that his last decision as the president of Collingwood football club was to stand down early, a decision based solely on money. The financial loss from him staying and the left with theie victim mentality just constantly pushing until they got their way (mind you that won't be enough, it never is) outweighed the financial benefit of him staying and I would bet my mortgage on Eddie himself understanding and making that call.

Even as he is personally attacked and called out for not being 100% perfect in his position in the public eye he still makes a call that benefits his football club.

He made plenty of mistakes, plenty. But do all the good things he's done count for nothing? 

You could argue if it wasn't for him we may not be here to even discuss this. It's insane how easily the politically correct jump.on a scape goat.

Wonder who will be next?

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 2

38 minutes ago, dee-tox said:

The Goodes documentary was last year shown on the BBC meaning it was shown throughout most of Europe. 

Speaking of Europe, this today from one of the local online French news services (which mainly recycles International news in French.) Not the only one either.

https://news-24.fr/comment-eddie-mcguire-la-royaute-de-melbourne-a-fait-appel-a-ses-contacts-apres-le-scandale-de-racisme-de-collingwood/

• Like 2

By the way I can sense this thread getting derailed shortly. I don't mean to upset anyone or insight anything to extreme. Just wanted to voice my opinions.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Josh said:

Even as he is personally attacked and called out for not being 100% perfect in his position in the public eye he still makes a call that benefits his football club.

I'm going to go out on a limb and state that Eddie didn't make that call

5 minutes ago, Josh said:

He made plenty of mistakes, plenty. But do all the good things he's done count for nothing? 

Who said this?

6 minutes ago, Josh said:

You could argue if it wasn't for him we may not be here to even discuss this. It's insane how easily the politically correct jump.on a scape goat.

Don't understand this. Eddie saved the MFC as well as the CFC?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, bing181 said:

Speaking of Europe, this today from one of the local online French news services (which mainly recycles International news in French.) Not the only one either.

https://news-24.fr/comment-eddie-mcguire-la-royaute-de-melbourne-a-fait-appel-a-ses-contacts-apres-le-scandale-de-racisme-de-collingwood/

Great Scott. On top of everything else, now we learn Eddie's mother was a hamster?

• Haha 4

11 minutes ago, Mazer Rackham said:

I'm going to go out on a limb and state that Eddie didn't make that call

Who said this?

Don't understand this. Eddie saved the MFC as well as the CFC?

It was all those years he gifted us the money from QB

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

wasn't the ponsford stand the quid pro quo?

3 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

Daisy you've put me in an infinity loop, I clicked on the angry face and then on the sad face and the angry face, the sad face, angry face, the sad face................. I must get back and see where I landed.

4 minutes ago, dworship said:

Eddie didn't do anything for nothing, it's no surprise that when the game began to attract more and more interest (not just from the gate receipts but the Big Freeze side of things) he demanded it be shared again. The pies were in a blessed position to be gifted blockbuster games, the best time slots, and cushy low-travel fixtures every year. Our protests at the lack of equity dropped significantly after they began to give us this game because we had the "don't bit the hand that feeds you" mentality, essentially it put us under his/the pies thumb. 

It was a helpful thing at the time, did it save us as a club? Not sure I would go that far. Did Eddie/the Pies do it purely out of the kindness of their hearts? [censored] no.

Incidentally, when we did accept the sharing of the fixture I felt we should have made a push to say "we'll have one of you're Friday nigh fixtures as compensation thanks". They still get a heavily favourable fixture commercially, while we have lost one of our few regulars every year. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, dworship said:

12 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

Collingwood can easily make more money as the away team for the QB games.  Probably do if you break it all down

Their premium 18 game membership costs $1000k x 20,000 premium members (approx) amounts to $20Million

Divide that by 18 games (Home & Away) and you come up with over $1Million per game

And of course one of the games was the QB clash whether as the home or the away team

That's apart from the pouring rights in the Ponsford Stand ... food,  merchandising etc

So they clean right up when they're the home team in the QB games.  And our club doesn't ark up because we're beholden

But as a comparison, how much money do we ever make as the away team at the MCG? 

Now it is good management on their part but they can hardly cry poor if they are still making a stack of dosh as the away team for these big games

Edited by Macca
  • Like 4

He had plenty of time to mend his and the clubs ways. You’d of thought the Goodes saga would of been his wake up call......No to that. The guys a pleb and I won’t miss him. He failed football, society and in the end his club. Let’s hope he heads off down his hole for good. He’s a racist, sexist and homophobic pig of a human and belongs in the dustbin of history

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Biffen said:

Big pants to fill.

Hopefully this will restart the downward spiral of the colliwobbles.... they will all spend more time focussing on Buckleys instagram account, their trading debacle, and forget about the football for a while

• Love 1

58 minutes ago, Josh said:

The great irony that his last decision as the president of Collingwood football club was to stand down early, a decision based solely on money. The financial loss from him staying and the left with theie victim mentality just constantly pushing until they got their way (mind you that won't be enough, it never is) outweighed the financial benefit of him staying and I would bet my mortgage on Eddie himself understanding and making that call.

Wonder who will be next?

He's not a scapegoat, he's a boofhead who refused to ever accept responsibility or offer a meal culpa for anything. The way he acted in last week's presser was the final straw, a PR debacle. I don't think the findings of the report itself were enough for ed to need to step down, I don't think he's racist and I think he is genuine with some of the work he does supporting some of the marginalised in the community. But he's also an "alpha" personality and acted like a bully on many occasions. He also refused to address issues within the club (not just linked to casual/systemic racism but other player behaviours too) and was on the defense to protect the CFC brand at all times even to its and his own detriment. His lack of awareness and lack of insight into his own behaviour and comments was ultimately his downfall and it was a miracle he lasted that long when he should've been shown the door after the Goodes incident 8 years ago.

Edited by Dr. Gonzo
  • Like 11

There is a lot more that needs to be done to stamp out entrenched racism

The booing of Adam Goodes by a big percentage of fans from most of the other clubs remains a huge low point for football (and Australian society in general)

Adam Goodes was hounded out of the game and that was the red flag.  Or at least, it should have been seen as such.  Maguire's ill-conceived comments at the time seemed to add fuel to the fire

And the players from all the other clubs should have done something at the time but didn't.  The AFL Commission sat silent.  Club Presidents & CEO's did virtually nothing

At first I just thought it was harmless booing but in the end it was insidious, relentless and disgusting and said a lot about our mentality.  The voice of racism (by the mob) is how I look back and view it now

Say No To Racism

• Like 17
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, Macca said:

The booing of Adam Goodes by a big percentage of fans from most of the other clubs remains a huge low point for football (and Australian society in general)

Adam Goodes was hounded out of the game and that was the red flag.  Or at least, it should have been seen as such.  Maguire's ill-conceived comments at the time seemed to add fuel to the fire

And the players from all the other clubs should have done something at the time but didn't.  The AFL Commission sat silent.  Club Presidents & CEO's did virtually nothing

At first I just thought it was harmless booing but in the end it was insidious, relentless and disgusting and said a lot about our mentality.  The voice of racism (by the mob) is how I look back and view it now

Say No To Racism

Agree 'Macca'...you only need to read some Facebook posts that have been nicely stirred up by media interests in regard to Lumumba to see how far off it we are. A long, long way unfortunately..

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mazer Rackham said:

Every fan of every club dreams of a having president as effective for their club as Eddie.

Every fan of every club has nightmares of having a president who embarrasses their club as often and as badly as Eddie.

If he'd stepped down 10 or 12 years ago his reputation would have been unimpeachable.

He got to close to the subject matter. He was Collingwood and Collingwood was Eddie.

His farewell speech today ... the first part sounded like he was explaining why the Collingwood Football Club should be returned to parliament.

The second part sounded like he was preparing for the afterlife. Like he was delivering his own eulogy. Hey Eddie ... there's life after Collingwood.

"The first time I went to Vic Park, that's the first time in my life I felt a part of a group or a community." (paraphrased). That explains quite a bit. Collingwood meant everything to Eddie. And because of that he hung on too long.

And so he goes, with a tarnished reputation. Even as a renowned media performer, he seemed to have lost his mojo. Getting bested in an interview by Tony Jones. Always blowing his stack at the mildest questioning. No, politics was never in his future. He would have lasted as long as Mal Maninga.

Vale Eddie McGuire. Good for Collingwood. Not good for football.

Mal Meninga "ah that me done"????

• Like 1

Eddie might not have bad intentions but he did not have the awareness and tone he needed to display as the influential figure he is.

When Eddie felt compelled to reel off his own achievements in the presser today, I couldn’t help but feel that a smarter, more appropriate leader would’ve just said ‘I’m sorry, I haven’t been as good as I could have been’ and left it at that. 

Onwards/upwards for Collingwood and the rest of us.

Edited by The Jackson 6
  • Like 4

Yes, Eddie was a President who worked hard for his football club and put his heart and soul into building it up into the powerhouse he always believed it should be. But he wore blinkers throughout his tenure and reacted so badly to the slightest criticism of either himself or his club it was embarrassing. 

Eddie was always larger than life and he earned the nickname "Eddie Everywhere" at one stage which fitted him at the time. That may have been part of the problem. To everyone Eddie WAS Collingwood. He cannot claim ignorance about what was happening under his watch when he was such an ingrained part of the club.

I must take issue with two of the statements he made in his speech;

"......back in 1998, my sole motivation was to heal, unite, inspire and drive a new social conscience, not just into this club, but sport and the community in general."

This is a lofty statement to make in hindsight, but I doubt that is what the Collingwood supporters heard back then. All they wanted was the elusive Premiership and a strong, rich club, and I'm sure that is what Eddie promised them.

".......my devotion to fairness has endured and grown. .....never have I turned my back on anyone who has reached out for help."

Yet he still has not faced the issue of Lumumba's grievances and issued a long awaited simple apology.

• Like 4

I don't mind Eddie and I reckon he should be judged over 25 years not just the last couple.  No doubt he loved his club and achieved great things and has set the Pies up for being regularly at the top in the future.

I hope he has finally learned some things about racism and the impact of what he and others might think are jokes, It's not the '90's anymore Eddie. You can't say King kong and Chimp anymore, its not OK.

Having said that, I don't think he is a mean person, as in - he has not tried to intentionally hurt anyone.

Australia has a massive tall poppy syndrome and it's not surprising to see many people rejoice in his resignation. But I doubt any would achieve what he has through his passion and hard work.

• Like 2

This, among many other things, is a lesson in hubris. 

A handful here suggested that he’s been unfairly dealt with - that a person has to be “perfect” or not slip up once to keep their position in this current culture. That is of course, total bollocks. We live in a world where corrupt, malevolent or, in this case, just plain ignorant people repeatedly offend, and not only go unpunished but thrive. And I have no doubt Eddie McGuire could have been one of those people had he chosen to refrain from plastering his bloated head on every billboard in town, and donning an ill-fitting suit to appear on whatever hack tv or radio program provided him the opportunity. He is seemingly of the opinion that he is some kind of broadcasting legend, and that you basically can’t get enough of him. Most reasonable people, even the most innocuous television muppet, would have a voice in the back of their mind saying “maybe you’re over-exposing yourself a bit”. But not Eddie. Eddie has serious tickets on himself. And when you’re the kind of person who gets pretty easily irritated by this kind of arrogance (the kind that comes with zero benefits - at least some [censored] are funny, clever or insightful) you just can’t wait for cretins like McGuire to make that fatal mistake. And yes, a lot of people were hoping for that mistake. A lot of people thought the former CEO of Channel 9/Triple M Radio Host/A Current Affair Host/Footy Show Host/Game Show He Couldn’t Even Pronounce Host/Collingwood FC President was perhaps a little too ubiquitous, especially given his almost phenomenal ability to remain completely and utterly charmless in front of a camera or microphone.

He is part Icarus, part used-car salesman. But of course, we can expect to see him hosting “Australia’s Tastiest Hot Dogs” or “Jetski Olympics 2026” or whatever other lowest-common-denominator rubbish he likes to roll around in. He might have lost his club, but we’re stuck with this corporate slob for a long time. 

Edited by Mel Bourne
  • Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, Macca said:

Say No To Racism

perfectly said. Eddie made that ugly, shameful chapter in our game worse.... and then didn’t learn anything. 

• Like 5