Posting Unsubstantiated Rumours on this Website is Strictly Forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Neville Jetta

Lord Nev

I agree with the consensus here that Nev is past it physically.

I’ve wondered why Collingwood are prepared to offer him 2 years and I wouldn’t be surprised if its because of his leadership. It’s no secret they’ve had cultural issues over there and Nev would be a perfect candidate to lead a change and instil better values.

MFC really shouldn’t be letting someone of Nev’s calibre and character leave the club. Surely there’s a role for him. With the possible exception of Jones, I don’t think there’s another player on the list who better embodies what I would consider the heart and soul of the footy club. Selfless, committed, never shirked responsibility, gives his all, led by example. Oliver, Brayshaw and a few others could take a leaf out of his book.

Come on MFC. You gotta have a role for this champion. A one year playing contract transitioning into a coaching, mentoring, leadership role. If you’re not sure yet what the role is then you have a year to figure it out. Don’t let this bloke leave.

• Like 7
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Timothy Reddan-A'Blew said:

I'd be in the 'sad / whatever's best for Nev / concern for effect on remaining players' camp.

Over on their board, I expected to find universal "What thu?!" but they seem not totally against it, though pretty luke warm! Themes seem to be his fit for an all-or-nothing go at 2021, and like-for-like replacement. Also mention of playing forward.

And getting a good person (?DeeSpencer) in an area where they have been battling to prove they're alright?...

I was shocked to read this. It implies some Collingwood supporters can read and write.

4 hours ago, roy11 said:

Life member and good bloke, if he's not in Goodwin's plan for best 22 then the club should help him move on for the extra years and trust the process with Lockhart etc

Imagine if Jetta does go we'd retain Jones for leadership. 

no comparison - keep Jetta; Jones no loss.

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

1 hour ago, Better days ahead said:

I’ve wondered why Collingwood are prepared to offer him 2 years and I wouldn’t be surprised if its because of his leadership. It’s no secret they’ve had cultural issues over there and Nev would be a perfect candidate to lead a change and instil better values.

MFC really shouldn’t be letting someone of Nev’s calibre and character leave the club. Surely there’s a role for him. With the possible exception of Jones, I don’t think there’s another player on the list who better embodies what I would consider the heart and soul of the footy club. Selfless, committed, never shirked responsibility, gives his all, led by example. Oliver, Brayshaw and a few others could take a leaf out of his book.

Come on MFC. You gotta have a role for this champion. A one year playing contract transitioning into a coaching, mentoring, leadership role. If you’re not sure yet what the role is then you have a year to figure it out. Don’t let this bloke leave.

The other part of this is the influence he has on Kozzie and how will that affect him if his uncle leaves? Probably not much but all these things need to be taken into account. Nev was finished at the end of last year, so playing wise, he has little to offer anymore, but his impact can still be felt around teh club. Sadly Covid has probably meant roles for him may be minimal.

• Like 1

I wonder if Collingwood is playing funny buggers with us. Nev's probably been told by us that he's done. Pies come along (via Nev's management) and feign interest. As a result we reverse our decision...

Nev's cooked unfortunately. Would be good if he retired as a one club player. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Better days ahead said:

Great post and yep the pies need a good leader over there to address those cultural issues.

Pound for pound, one of the best defenders I've seen. So often he'd beat blokes bigger than him.

I'd hope we could transition him into a defensive coach and mentoring role at the club. Hard to achieve in this climate though.

Don't blame him if he takes what he can get from a contract with the pies.

1 hour ago, robbiefrom13 said:

no comparison - keep Jetta; Jones no loss.

I’d say Jones and Jetta had very similar years in their output when they played, but if we’re rating their leadership qualities I’d say they’re on par. Both have been strong warriors for us. 

I’d struggle seeing Nev play at the pies, I could handle a couple of other clubs but the pies would be tough to swallow. But if he’s not going to be given best 22 opportunities (and it’s difficult to see that happening without injuries) for the well-being of Nev I could understand saying goodbye. But equally I’d also be keen to offer him a coaching and mentoring position beyond 2021.

4 hours ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Didn't someone mention in another thread that Nev was lined up for an off-field role when his playing days were over.  I can't recall who it was but he made mention that Nev was so much loved by the whole playing group and if he was 'retired' or contract 'paid out' it would be culturally very damaging to the players.

If that report was correct what does it say if he goes to Collingwood in a similar role we propose or a Burgoyne (Hawks) type set-up. 

If we had plans to transition him to an off-field role when OOC in a year we can do it now.  We did it with Garland and we did it more recently with Guy Walker.  Or at least formalise an agreement to do it at end of next year.

Nev has so much to offer, so much life, football and community experience we can't let that go to another club to leverage.

He probably still has the burning desire to play senior footy, and we possibly havent guaranteed him that he will get that at MFC. If some other club can help him play more games, im sure the club wouldnt stand in his way, especially if the coin is better elsewhere.

I wouldnt be a bit bothered about him getting a contract at another club to finish his career.

There shouldnt be any doubt the club will have him back when that contract finishes.

As to the bolded part, we shouldnt lose him forever, as long as there is an agreement that we (MFC) employ him after he finished playing for CFC.

• Like 1

I love Nev.

But he looks past his best and is no longer in our best 22.

If he wants this, we can’t stand in his way - we owe him all the loyalty and respect in the world, and simply must facilitate this if this is what he requests.

Will hate watching him run around in anything but the red and the blue.

Disappointing news.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, dl4e said:

Really liked Jetta as a player. I do find this whole collingwood situation to be almost unbelievable. They have a good defence and Jetta is 31 years old and yes he is past it. Doesn't make sense.

Agree, can’t understand why the Pies would want him, they have an excellent backline 

Wish him well if it happens he’s put his body on the line for 12 years buts can’t see him playing much next season 

This is a tough one.

On one hand, is he going to be part of our next premiership?

On field you would say no.  But off field you could say yes.  He is highly respected by the playing group and the supporter base, and if he has shown the capacity and talent to be a coach, then I'd love to see the club offer him something in that area going forward.

The problem is his position in the side.  Others have gone past him and he isn't he player he was two years ago, although it was hard for him to get a good run at it this year.  

I'd like to keep him around for another year and then transition him to an off field role, but if the Pies push really hard then I wouldn't blame him for leaving and I wouldn't blame the club for letting him go either.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Neville Jetta the great servant of the club like an underdog   boxer  that gave his all and you cheered him on because you knew he had something to give and you just couldn't knock him down. He was the dependable one consistent until injuries and the dreaded age when you hit the 30s that slows you down. 

I thought that he would be retiring gracefully and now

Collywobbles Buckley is interested. For the life of me take him and give us Tom Phillips .....Jetta and a thiird round pick will do.

• Like 2

Nev is a gun. Love him. Courage. Loyalty.  Gives 100% and more !!

Mentor to the young indigenous boys.
Helps Steven May.

Always great for a chat.  

I will hate to see him in black and white. Hate it. Footy is so cruel. 

But I respect Nev and his wishes. 

If he goes, he will be welcome back anytime.  

Edited by spirit of norm smith
C
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

I have been reading Demonland for many years & felt compelled to join to make a comment about Neville Jetta.

He is my favourite player!

Nev is a proud Nyoongar man who has had to battle his way back onto the list over the years & then to be recognised as one of the best small defenders in the AFL.

Neville was in the All Australian squad in 2017 & in 2018 won the 2018 Jim Stynes Community Leadership Award.

2020 was anything but a usual year & with shortened turnarounds between games, & no VFL to display form, niggles to 'older' players disadvantaged them.

With the AFL reviewing list sizes some heart-breaking decisions may be required.

I respect what Nathan Jones has done for the Club, but would find it disappointing if Nathan was offered a contract to enable him to reach 300 games & Nev was not offered a contract.

We need people like Nev & 'Flash' in the football Club to complement what 'Wheels' is doing.

Neville has been inspirational both on & off the field & he should be offered a new contract with both a playing & non-playing aspect to it. Eddie Betts is likely to be offered a new contract by the Blues as a player & a mentor & Neville Jetta should be offered a contract too.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Like others on here, the cynic in me questions why Collingwood wants Nev.

Sincerely hope it is not that dirty word - tokenism. 

There. I said it.

I don't trust Collingwood.

I would rather have Nev stay with us.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1