Josh Wagner back into the side

A somewhat maligned player here on Demonland, but listening to the latest podcast, has a number one fan in Aaron vandenBerg, with the big AVB endorsement for toughness and the suggestion that Josh should be one of the next players back into the side.

Personally I've always liked the same qualities that AVB sees in the older Wagner and do think there would be merit in rotating a few of these players currently on the frindge through the team against Freo and Sydney.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

A somewhat maligned player here on Demonland, but listening to the latest podcast, has a number one fan in Aaron vandenBerg, with the big AVB endorsement for toughness and the suggestion that Josh should be one of the next players back into the side.

Personally I've always liked the same qualities that AVB sees in the older Wagner and do think there would be merit in rotating a few of these players currently on the frindge through the team against Freo and Sydney.

I see the merit in rotation as well, but if we're looking at doing that in our backline, I'd be hoping to bring in Rivers, Jetta or even Joel Smith before I'd look to Josh Wagner.  That's no disrespect to him, but I think he's just a foot soldier who plays okay at AFL but doesn't really excel at anything.  

• Like 2

The fact there are two Wagners is to both their detriment. It adds to the beigeness. Two serviceable players with neither having any standout traits seems to end up being beige squared.

It doesn’t surprise me he has fans inside the club. He’s a better player than he gets credit for, but he’s down the pecking order now.

My main issue with him is consistency. You don’t quite know what you’re going to get, which is a gamble at AFL level. You want role players to be reliable, first and foremost.

That said, he is worth his spot in the ranks. We’ve seen far worse players than him come through the doors. I wouldn’t blow a gasket if he got selected.

I’d just be quietly hoping for the good Wagner.

Seems to be one of those guys that is a cut above at VFL but just can't get it together at AFL.

Can't fault his effort maybe just doesn't quite have the ability to match.

Hope he does well if picked. You know he will try his heart out to prove himself. Has shown he is capable, if not always consistent

• Like 4

If he's playing it generally means we've hit an injury crisis.

With that being said the club is going to have to be careful with the Freo game in Cairns off a 4 day break, so perhaps he might get a gig in that game if multiple defenders like Hibberd, Lockhart and Rivers need a rest. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Skuit said:

Which one is Josh? I remember once thinking one of them was okay. I think it was at the start of 2016. 

That was Josh you were thinking of then.

• Like 2

I like Wagner........................................................in the reserves where he belongs.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

If he's playing it generally means we've hit an injury crisis.

With that being said the club is going to have to be careful with the Freo game in Cairns off a 4 day break, so perhaps he might get a gig in that game if multiple defenders like Hibberd, Lockhart and Rivers need a rest. 

Don't underestimate freo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dl4e said:

Don't underestimate freo.

Playing a bunch of fresh players who are up to the task as opposed to playing fatigued players backing up multiple 4 day breaks in tropical heat isn't underestimating them IMHO.

I think it also depends how we go against the Bulldogs and Saints.  Win those two games and I think we could afford to risk a loss in order to manage the injury and fatigue level of the A team.  We could find ourselves in a position of being gaurenteed a top 8 spot, with no prospect of making the top 4 and I can't see a huge advantage to finishing 5/6 as opposed to 7/8 with essentially little likelihood of there being any home ground advantage up for stakes.

• Like 1

Gee, I started to panic when I saw the name of this topic.  Thought it meant he was back for this weekend.  I'd rather his and Corey's great uncle, Robert, in the side before either of these two play again.

2 hours ago, Dee-lusional said:

Seems to be one of those guys that is a cut above at VFL but just can't get it together at AFL.

Can't fault his effort maybe just doesn't quite have the ability to match.

Hope he does well if picked. You know he will try his heart out to prove himself. Has shown he is capable, if not always consistent

I'm sure all teams have these types of players, but I reckon @WERRIDEE could come up with a "handy" team on paper that have been our our list that would fit in to the category.

His best trait is that he’s a nice allrounder. Plays tall or small. Good mark. Good kick who never quite got enough confidence, time and space to become a very good kick. Worked really hard on his tackling.

But I think he’s just a yard slow and an inch or two short. A bit more height and he’d be a good interceptor. A bit more speed and he’d play on quick forwards far more easily.

If there’s a spot for him it’s probably in the role Hibberd is doing sitting back deeper with May and being sound defensively. Otherwise our half backs bring size or speed. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Pickett2Jackson said:

Players that should not play another game for us -  Hunt,  J Wagner , C Wagner,  ANB, J. Smith

Players that should be played ahead of them  -   Rivers, Bedford, Jordon,  Baker, Dunkley, Chandler (and Petty but hes done for the year)

Say what you will about the Wagners, but you have got to be kidding on the names highlighted in bold above.

Guessing you probably would have had Spargo on the list that shouldn't play another game until he turned it on again in the past few weeks, or that Pruess would let the side down.

Personally, I think the closer we can get to having all the frindge players we have ready to step up and play their role, the better and I really can't stand it when our supporters make those kind of bold judgemental statements that a player isn't up to the standard and shouldn't play again.  You never quite know when we could be hit with a streak of injuries or when players might develop their game.  Love what we've seen of Rivers in defense, but players like Josh Wagner and Joel Smith offer something a bit different and you never know, we might even need both.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

23 minutes ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

Say what you will about the Wagners, but you have got to be kidding on the names highlighted in bold above.

Guessing you probably would have had Spargo on the list that shouldn't play another game until he turned it on again in the past few weeks, or that Pruess would let the side down.

Personally, I think the closer we can get to having all the frindge players we have ready to step up and play their role, the better and I really can't stand it when our supporters make those kind of bold judgemental statements that a player isn't up to the standard and shouldn't play again.  You never quite know when we could be hit with a streak of injuries or when players might develop their game.  Love what we've seen of Rivers in defense, but players like Josh Wagner and Joel Smith offer something a bit different and you never know, we might even need both.

Let's exclude Smith.

Every player in the out column has been given chance and has proven they lack consistency.

Every player in the keep column has not been given enough opportunity to prove they have the consistency. 

14 minutes ago, Ham said:

Let's exclude Smith.

Every player in the out column has been given chance and has proven they lack consistency.

Every player in the keep column has not been given enough opportunity to prove they have the consistency. 

Why does Smith continually get this golden ticket from our supporters?  Like that bloke that this thread is about, he's just not up to the elite standard that would see him cement a spot in the seniors.  That's not being critical - they have both achieved a bloody lot more than me, but we just need to accept it.

Put it this way; if we put both Wagners and Smith up for trade, would we get a bite?  No.  Would they get picked up as DFA?  No.

I'd actually be interested to know how many Category B rookies have gone on to having relatively successful careers on any list.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pickett2Jackson said:

Players that should not play another game for us -  Hunt,  J Wagner , C Wagner,  ANB, J. Smith

Players that should be played ahead of them  -   Rivers, Bedford, Jordon,  Baker, Dunkley, Chandler (and Petty but hes done for the year)

You forgot about Brown

15 minutes ago, The Chazz said:

Why does Smith continually get this golden ticket from our supporters?  Like that bloke that this thread is about, he's just not up to the elite standard that would see him cement a spot in the seniors.  That's not being critical - they have both achieved a bloody lot more than me, but we just need to accept it.

Put it this way; if we put both Wagners and Smith up for trade, would we get a bite?  No.  Would they get picked up as DFA?  No.

I'd actually be interested to know how many Category B rookies have gone on to having relatively successful careers on any list.

Your Smith bashing is getting tiresome

• Like 2
  • Haha 1