I never want to trade Brayshaw I just want to know What the F%*k is wrong with him.

• Like 2

Hopefully this news has the desired effect and removes the speculation of trading Brayshaw. I'm a huge fan, despite his drop in form this year. Perhaps some injury news will come out after the season because he just doesn't 'look' the same this year. We all know he has been played in a few different roles, so that hasn't helped either.

Overall, I think keeping the playing group together as much as possible is the right way to go for the Club. I still have a lot of faith in the list, and don't believe players lose ability over one preseason. This should, for the most part, be the core group that has a big chance at sustained success. Hopefully the club is pulling the right levers with a change in coaching (direction or just coaches?), as opposed to trading out players, and this can unlock the talent that Brayshaw and others have failed to display this year.

Posted (edited)

A few minutes ago G Lyon on SEN said no way, just to reaffirm Morris' report I guess. Lyon indicated he had some club insight and said it is just not happening. Added that he would be glad to see Alan Richardson with MFC asap.G Lyon on SEN said no way, just to reaffirm Morris' report I guess. Lyon indicated he had some club insight and said it is just not happening. Added that he would be glad to see Alan Richardson with MFC asap.

Edited by pitmaster
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Patches O’houlihan said:

Sam Mitchell didn't disrupt Hawthorns entire midfield structure, our midfield looks clearly better without Jack in it, but he walks into the side, and captaincy because his sir name is Viney. 

if his sir name was Brayshaw he'd 100% be on the trade block.

Surname.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, olisik said:

Would trade Viney before Brayshaw. 

Although I don’t rate Viney overly highly, he’s worth more to us than what we’d get for him in a trade. IMO we’d only get around a mid-second rounder for him. 

30 minutes ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

Although I don’t rate Viney overly highly, he’s worth more to us than what we’d get for him in a trade. IMO we’d only get around a mid-second rounder for him. 

And I would take that in a heartbeat....

16 hours ago, John Demonic said:

Hilarious comparison, given one is a patient player that can stand still in traffic, evade a tackle with a sidestep then find a pin point target in space, while the other is a bull that tries to blast through tackles or mongrel it forward without care. One is planned to be the successor to Clarko, who's midfield coaching was said to be one of the defining factors in West Coasts premiership, while the other can barely string a sentence together.

You obviously have not read what i replied to. It was about Hawthorn being a strong club that were able to trade stars, my point was they didn't trade 25 year old's, they traded 30 plus year olds. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, olisik said:

We have no heart and soul players, that’s why we are 17th. If Viney were a heart and Soul player he would have worked hard to get his kicking and decision making sorted. 

🤦🏼‍♂️ No point arguing when you have no idea 

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, pitmaster said:

A few minutes ago G Lyon on SEN said no way, just to reaffirm Morris' report I guess. Lyon indicated he had some club insight and said it is just not happening. Added that he would be glad to see Alan Richardson with MFC asap.G Lyon on SEN said no way, just to reaffirm Morris' report I guess. Lyon indicated he had some club insight and said it is just not happening. Added that he would be glad to see Alan Richardson with MFC asap.

Pardon my stammer...(don't know what happened there).

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/18/2019 at 3:31 PM, Lord Nev said:

I think the majority of Dees fans recognize we have weaknesses in midfield skill, outside run/pace and delivery forward, as well as us being in our 'window' as of now. I get that there's other areas we may debate with each other about, but I feel those things are pretty clear. So how do we improve those areas quickly enough that we can make the most of our chances now? This article raises a hypothetical that I scoffed at at first but have wavered a bit since thinking about it more.

Why trading Angus Brayshaw could fix Melbourne's midfield

"But Brayshaw personifies Melbourne's midfield issues - fantastic in the contest, tough as old boots and able to find the pill, but unreliable by foot. He has committed the 11th most turnovers in the league this year, with his disposal efficiency under implied pressure and physical pressure the second-worst and fourth-worst of the league's top 50 ball-winners."

It goes on to suggest trade scenarios which would see us losing Gus, and possibly a pick, to return Lachie Whitfield.

My questions are these:

- Is Gus 'untouchable' given we have Oliver, Harmes & Viney in the same role? Plus, with Sparrow and Dunkley potentially coming through in the same vein, others as depth etc.

- What do we make of Gus' massive form slump this year? You could argue it coincides with him attending less centre bounces, but there's other aspects to that as well such as his concussion history, his lack of accountability this year and of course, our lack of outside run which sees him being used there. Is he injured this year? Unhappy? Something seems up with him.

- Do we need to make such a big move or do we rely purely on tweaks to game plans, roles and structures in the offseason? I guess that boils down to trust in the footy department to fix things, which I imagine is at a low point given our performance this year.

Thoughts?

I wouldn't be trading him nor do I think the club will be.

You can fix kicking/decision making.

Confidence looks to be a massive problem also.

I'm hoping it's just a matter of getting this season over and done with, big pre season and we'll see Gus firing again next season.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, pitmaster said:

Take two please, Pit 😆

Interesting the Suns are/were interested. 

I'm happy for him to stay unless we got a big offer (which I think is unlikely, but the Suns could potentially be willing to pay overs)

No interest in trading him for the Freo guys or just for the sake of it. Despite his poor skills he still is an important piece to our team.

Either way I like how the club has handled this one. Letting clubs know if they are knocking on that door they will need to pay up.

who would we get to replace brayshaw and how much would it cost, i.e. brayshaw or what we could get for him and at least a 2nd rounder, and big bite out of our salary cap. Then what sort of output beyond what brayshaw currently gives us would you be expecting. 3-5 more kicks, a couple more hand passes occasionally a goal or two more per game if we are lucky. is that worth what we are giving up when we have forward positions that still need coverage and some would say more outside runners,  I would like to see brayshaw move to the wing opposite frosty give him a little more room, i think he works best when he has a bit more space.

4 hours ago, Watts the matter said:

I'm happy for him to stay unless we got a big offer (which I think is unlikely, but the Suns could potentially be willing to pay overs)

No interest in trading him for the Freo guys or just for the sake of it. Despite his poor skills he still is an important piece to our team.

Either way I like how the club has handled this one. Letting clubs know if they are knocking on that door they will need to pay up.

You would do it for 2 first rounders. Or King and Rankine for Brayshaw and our 2nd

Just now, Superunknown said:

Gorrrrne

Staying

5 hours ago, Watts the matter said:

I couldn't see him going to the gold coast, if you've ever warn a helmet playing then you know it's like playing on a 25 degree day when it's only 10 outside. Doing it up where it's consistently hotter will melt his brain

1 hour ago, Superunknown said:

Gorrrrne

I do appreciate explicit comments but can you elaborate please?

Did you have a vision or an itch that thunderbolt like led to this revelation

On 8/5/2019 at 2:58 PM, Patches O’houlihan said:

Our midfield looks it's best when it's Oliver, Brayshaw and Harmes tagging and running off. Speed, toughness and i think better skills. Viney i would try as a pressure forward but otherwise if it was my call i'd say he would be a trade option given he'd have decent value. 

i agree, he upsets the balance quite a bit, if he's in the midfield it's his midfield he turns any structure into chaos which is great if he wins it, horrible if he doesn't because everyone is out of position.

Completely agree. I love Jack but I prefer Brayshaw in the guts. I'm wondering if Viney could play a more defensive role next year and play Clarry, Gus and Harmes in the middle. Clarry and Harmes are great tacklers and if Gus has a decent pre season, he'll bounce back. I'd try Jack 60-70% forwardline tackler and short bursts in the midfield. He won't be traded so we need to find a place for him that doesn't upset the balance of the midfield too much.

• Like 1

On 6/18/2019 at 3:31 PM, Lord Nev said:

- Is Gus 'untouchable' given we have Oliver, Harmes & Viney in the same role? Plus, with Sparrow and Dunkley potentially coming through in the same vein, others as depth etc.

Not sure on Dunkley yet...he's not his brother. My bet would be good depth (better than what we have) but will wait and see.

Pretty sure Sparrow won't make it as a mid.

Gus not having a great year but still streets ahead of those 2 so it would want to be something very special to move him on.

• Like 1

Just now, rjay said:

Not sure on Dunkley yet...he's not his brother. My bet would be good depth (better than what we have) but will wait and see.

Gus not having a great year but still streets ahead of those 2 so it would want to be something very special to move him on.

Oh yeah, absolutely not saying either of them have anywhere near the potential Gus does, more just talking about our spread of depth and how we have a lot more depth in the ball-winning mid category than the outside runner category.

Reckon you might end up surprised by Sparrow. Just my opinion of course, but I rate him as a future player for us. Likely not our best player, but I can see him replacing Viney down the track and having similar strengths with contested work and burst speed like Jack used to have.

4 minutes ago, rjay said:

I think Sparrow will become the bullocking half forward bit like Vanders was last year. Once henbuilds his tank up then i think he will have burst in the midfield at some stage.

• Like 2

On 8/5/2019 at 3:00 PM, Demon3 said:

Trading Brayshaw is curious, but the suggestions that Viney is even more tradeable is just laughable. Jack is a competitor, one of only a few that we have on the list, he like most of our players have had an ordinary year, look at his finals last year, they were amazing, he showed true grit and heart off the back of a very limited preparation. He will be fine and so will Gus.

When the proposal to trade Viney comes up, I think back to that West Coast game where he put Shannon Hurn on his arzze in the dying minutes when Mc Donald kicked the winning goal with seconds to spare and I think to myself " No, lets keep this guy "

That's the type we need more of , not fewer.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, pineapple dee said:

When the proposal to trade Viney comes up, I think back to that West Coast game where he put Shannon Hurn on his arzze in the dying minutes when Mc Donald kicked the winning goal with seconds to spare and I think to myself " No, lets keep this guy "

That's the type we need more of , not fewer.

I think of the time this year when Hurn and McGovern took double figures in intercept marks directly from just Viney's kicks inside 50.