Preseason Training Week commencing - 15/01/18

PartyBoy

On 20/01/2018 at 4:22 PM, DeeSpencer said:

Unfortunately it's was a lot of do as I say not as I do. Maybe the slower pace of the half back line will suit him. Adding Lever and Lewis to Hibberd and Hunt means our half backline is potentially very attacking and open. How they maintain structures and pick the right moments to leave their opponents will go a long way to determining our success.

And more alliterative.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSW9TDT3g-pLX2Ep4hwxwY

Surely you wouldn't be alluding to ..........???

Give him a break! If he is not up to it, Goodwin will select someone else (as he did with Watts)! If Goodwin however feels Oscar is part of the preferred list, then maybe you and Deemania can petition the FD and advise them of your list of preferred players!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, CBDees said:

Give him a break! If he is not up to it, Goodwin will select someone else (as he did with Watts)! If Goodwin however feels Oscar is part of the preferred list, then maybe you and Deemania can petition the FD and advise them of your list of preferred players!

Hang on CBD, the club has sorted the sponsorship "crisis" now so this is the next logical thing for certain posters to move on to!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Deemania since 56 said:

Brilliant, jnrmac!

Oh yes, simply hilarious old chap. I nearly spat out my tepid earl grey when i saw that post!

How about we have a little wager old chap. I bet that scally wag ne'er do well, T Mac's younger brother, if not injured, plays the first ten game of the season in the firsts. If he does i get to choose you avatar for the remainder of the season. If he doesn't you can choose my avatar for the remainder of the season.

Now, given how lowly you rate the young fella (and you are clearly are an expert judge in both humor and the ability of AFL footballers) this bet is seriously weighted in your favor. But i am prepared to take that risk old chap. Just for a little fun and a few giggles. 

If you choose not to accept i can only assume you lack the courage of your convictions (unlikely given you are a MFC supporter of  long standing) or you are, what do the young people say - a troll.

But no doubt you are a man of honor so if you do not accept my little wager i can only assume you will desist from making any further snide remarks or puerile critiques of T Mac's younger brother's ability or character. 

Tally ho. Are we on? 

Edited by binman
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Deemania since 56 said:

Brilliant, jnrmac!

It's a cheap shot, assume you can only handle easy targets, waiting for you to accept @binman wager

Omac was excellent again this morning forming a really good triumvirate with Frost and Lever

Nathan Jones and Tim Smith were both back with main group, Tim Smith left a bit early though after a good workout with Crossy on timing his marks again

• Like 6

1 hour ago, binman said:

Oh yes, simply hilarious old chap. I nearly spat out my tepid earl grey when i saw that post!

How about we have a little wager old chap. I bet that scally wag ne'er do well, T Mac's younger brother, if not injured, plays the first ten game of the season in the firsts. If he does i get to choose you avatar for the remainder of the season. If he doesn't you can choose my avatar for the remainder of the season.

Now, given how you lowly you rate the young fella (and you are clearly are an expert judge in both humor and the ability of AFL footballers) this bet is seriously weighted in your favor. But i am prepared to take that risk old chap. Just for a little fun and a few giggles. 

If you choose not to i can only assume you lack the courage of your convictions (unlikely given you a re MFC supporter o dome long standing)  or  you are, what do the young people say - a troll?

But no doubt you are a man of honor so if you do not accept my little wager i assume you will desist from making and further snide remarks or puerile critiques of T Mac's younger brother's ability of character. 

Tally ho. Are we on? 

Yay avatar bets!

I lost mine and have to wear this hat (Ethan made it for me).

Need more people to join the misery!

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

And more alliterative.  

There's allot of alliteration about. Sometimes sensible and subtle, usually useless and unintelligible.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Salems Lot said:

Hang on CBD, the club has sorted the sponsorship "crisis" now so this is the next logical thing for certain posters to move on to!

....without Watts....

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

For all the critics of Oscar McDonald, I have one observation which I think is a reasonable/uncontroversial one in the circumstances.

If we can maintain a relatively healthy list this year, competition for a regular spot in the 22 will be fierce. Only our very best players will be guaranteed a spot each week, and they are all the obvious names. Beyond these players, you will have to be playing very well (i.e. be in form) and, relevantly, actually be a properly decent AFL player to be regularly selected in this side in 2018.

If Oscar plays most games this year, I think the current vocal critics here should be obliged to concede that:

1. Oscar is actually a decent AFL player; and

2. their assessment of him as a player is not shared by the professionals within the club, and their views might be based more on some personal bias/prejudice rather than a proper assessment of his performance each week.

Just sayin’.

Or it could go the other way and the vocal supporters may need to concede....?

Just sayin'

I don't mind Oscar, and can see him being a long term regular. I think more physical strength will help him no end.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

For all the critics of Oscar McDonald, I have one observation which I think is a reasonable/uncontroversial one in the circumstances.

If we can maintain a relatively healthy list this year, competition for a regular spot in the 22 will be fierce. Only our very best players will be guaranteed a spot each week, and they are all the obvious names. Beyond these players, you will have to be playing very well (i.e. be in form) and, relevantly, actually be a properly decent AFL player to be regularly selected in this side in 2018.

If Oscar plays most games this year, I think the current vocal critics here should be obliged to concede that:

1. Oscar is actually a decent AFL player; and

2. their assessment of him as a player is not shared by the professionals within the club, and their views might be based more on some personal bias/prejudice rather than a proper assessment of his performance each week.

Just sayin’.

I don't really want to prolong this debate but I will anyway and say that I don't fully agree with you. Oscar frustrates me but I think he's a good young player who hopefully transitions to a good play full stop this year. That said, I still think there's not a lot of competition for key defensive spots. Lever looks and plays like a 3rd tall defender which should help improve the two lock down talls but doesn't replace them. Tommy Mc has gone forward and should stay there. There's no indication of something funky like Pedersen or Hogan to CHB and Joel Smith has been in the rehab group for a while so it's not wise to predict huge improvement from him early in the year.

At the moment Oscar is really only competing with Frost, Keilty and an 18 year old in Petty for 2 spots. I think Keilty can improve and make those other 2 earn their spots, in which case Oscar is probably performing more weeks than not, but until that happens it's a little bit wait and see. 

13 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

I don't really want to prolong this debate but I will anyway and say that I don't fully agree with you. Oscar frustrates me but I think he's a good young player who hopefully transitions to a good play full stop this year. That said, I still think there's not a lot of competition for key defensive spots. Lever looks and plays like a 3rd tall defender which should help improve the two lock down talls but doesn't replace them. Tommy Mc has gone forward and should stay there. There's no indication of something funky like Pedersen or Hogan to CHB and Joel Smith has been in the rehab group for a while so it's not wise to predict huge improvement from him early in the year.

At the moment Oscar is really only competing with Frost, Keilty and an 18 year old in Petty for 2 spots. I think Keilty can improve and make those other 2 earn their spots, in which case Oscar is probably performing more weeks than not, but until that happens it's a little bit wait and see. 

Some good points. A couple of comments. Agree lever is the 3rd tall. But i don't think we will really play a lock down defender and will continue to predominately rely on a zone.  That said agree that frosty, kielty et al are the muscle and will take the big boys.

The other comment is the goal is clearly to have tmac up forward on a permanent basis. But just as they did last year he will go back if required. We have weed, smith and Fritsch who can replace him up forward.

• Like 1

Oscar seems to have put on size and (more importantly) strength. In the interview on the club site he mentions this as a goal over summer, the fitness guys having given him a plan. I thought he looked stronger when I went to training before Christmas. Pleased to see this continuing. I believe Oscar can hold down a KPD spot in the 22, and bigger size will give him the confidence to back his decisions and choose better options on the field. Last year I felt he lacked some confidence, made poor decisions and got pushed off the contest too many times.

I am in the glass half full camp about Oscar. If he can stay fit I expect him to play most games and improve. He is still very young and learning his craft

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Moonshadow said:

Oscar seems to have put on size and (more importantly) strength. In the interview on the club site he mentions this as a goal over summer, the fitness guys having given him a plan. I thought he looked stronger when I went to training before Christmas. Pleased to see this continuing. I believe Oscar can hold down a KPD spot in the 22, and bigger size will give him the confidence to back his decisions and choose better options on the field. Last year I felt he lacked some confidence, made poor decisions and got pushed off the contest too many times.

I am in the glass half full camp about Oscar. If he can stay fit I expect him to play most games and improve. He is still very young and learning his craft

@Satyriconhome, Moonie above has mentioned about the interview on the club site with OMc.  There is a snippet of the players finishing one of their time trials, with TMc, Bugg and ANB leading the way.  Can you please confirm if the player that the next player behind them is Tyson?  And if so, can you please advise if this is because he is actually 4th, or if they front 3 have lapped him?

And finally, if it is in fact that Tyson is 4th, where does that put him compared to his previous preseasons with us?

I realise that this is close to his first full preseason with us with no niggles.  I'm a big Tyson fan, and think a couple on this thread are quite a way off the mark with their criticism of him.  Definitely think he is a vital cog in our midfield group.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, The Chazz said:

@Satyriconhome, Moonie above has mentioned about the interview on the club site with OMc.  There is a snippet of the players finishing one of their time trials, with TMc, Bugg and ANB leading the way.  Can you please confirm if the player that the next player behind them is Tyson?  And if so, can you please advise if this is because he is actually 4th, or if they front 3 have lapped him?

And finally, if it is in fact that Tyson is 4th, where does that put him compared to his previous preseasons with us?

I realise that this is close to his first full preseason with us with no niggles.  I'm a big Tyson fan, and think a couple on this thread are quite a way off the mark with their criticism of him.  Definitely think he is a vital cog in our midfield group.

Correct Tyson was 4th, the competition for midfield spots is going to be fierce, Tyson is finally over knee issues and is another one who is fitter than ever, again his words

Sort a starting midfield out of those who are training with the midfield group during the presason

Jones, Tyson, Petracca, Oliver, Salem, Brayshaw, Harmes, Stretch, Maynard, Baker

Viney

And those that can rotate thru there

Lewis, Vince, Hogan, ANB, Bugg, Melksham, Hannan

Edited by Satyriconhome
  • Like 7

6 hours ago, Satyriconhome said:

Please, Joel Smith was/is highly rated by the FD, he looked ready to go at training

Speaking to the players (which I do), Goodwin means it, it's not hot air, you will be fit, in form and playing your role to a high standard

That's why training is impressing the non regular watchers, every player knows they have to be in team Rd 1 or it is going to be a long season

Goodwin now has the depth of talent to do this

If you want to go the other way Frost's form slipped alarmingly, he was dropped

Yet Trengove and Kennedy were getting BOG most weeks and were constantly ignored.. Goingby Plapps reviews these 2 were always playing their role and in form.

So realistically your theory about Goodwin rewarding guys who are in form every week is wrong.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Yet Trengove and Kennedy were getting BOG most weeks and were constantly ignored.. Goingby Plapps reviews these 2 were always playing their role and in form.

So realistically your theory about Goodwin rewarding guys who are in form every week is wrong.

Yeh but you don’t know Goody or speak with him. 

Edited by Ethan Tremblay
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

But were they delivering what was wanted for the firsts?  JT9 came back into the firsts and was too slow.  Being in the bests at Casey is not always going to reflect what is wanted or needed for a particular role in the MFC team.  So the idea of ‘form’ based on  how someone goes compared to Casey players is different to ‘form’ based upon how someone goes relative to the AFL role required.

• Like 3

Petracca left knee soreness, looked like he jarred it. Given a good look over by the physios then limped back to AAMI (by himself). Hopefully not major but I think he’d be on light duties for the training camp. 

Nice early victim of the media buzz after the training the house down article was written yesterday 

• Shocked 1