2017 Post Mortem

dieter

10 minutes ago, Redleg said:

On watching parts of the game again, I noticed that on at least three occasions the Pies goaled when Garlett was right there to spoil, or apply pressure and in fact he never moved. One was the Hoskin-Elliott dropped mark in the goal square and then recovery and goal. Garlett was like a statue. He also missed an easy goal in the first few minutes which could have set us off on our way and later missed from 30 out straight in front, as Gawn also did a a little later.

Clearly Garlett has had some issues to deal with, as he has completely dropped off in the last 3rd of the season. His pressure acts disappeared and he was not the same player as earlier in the season. He returned twice late in the season to Perth for a funeral and some other issue and was clearly unsettled.

On saturday he appeared to have no interest in the game.

Unfortunately, this is Garletts track record, consistently Inconsistent. It's a problem because he is such a dangerous player and adds the X factor to our forward structure. You can see players respond when he does goal but his inconsistency is a problem. And the bigger issue is that I doubt this will change.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Hell Bent said:

Has anyone managed to find closure and moved on from the heartache?

I`m still filthy!

im over the loss per se..as in ..we're not there.  Thats the end of the season proper and we move on

and we move on to..........  What the club is going to do now. Part of that is the narrative emanating from up upon high and the FD. So far all i've hear is shlt !!  So thats the topic of the moment for me. The season...same ol same ol. Make some sense?

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Redleg said:

On watching parts of the game again, I noticed that on at least three occasions the Pies goaled when Garlett was right there to spoil, or apply pressure and in fact he never moved. One was the Hoskin-Elliott dropped mark in the goal square and then recovery and goal. Garlett was like a statue. He also missed an easy goal in the first few minutes which could have set us off on our way and later missed from 30 out straight in front, as Gawn also did a a little later.

Clearly Garlett has had some issues to deal with, as he has completely dropped off in the last 3rd of the season. His pressure acts disappeared and he was not the same player as earlier in the season. He returned twice late in the season to Perth for a funeral and some other issue and was clearly unsettled.

On saturday he appeared to have no interest in the game.

I agree with the Hoskin-Elliott situation and the easy misses but I thought he was one of few that had some impact on Saturday.

He had 18 possessions, a couple of goals, 8 score involments including 3 goal assists along with 5 tackles.

• Like 2

So we either don't get it in our forward 50 often enough or the forward conversion isn't good. Good stuff. Keep drilling.

12 minutes ago, DaveyDee said:

It was easy 

-budha-quotes-happiness-tiny-buddha-quotes.jpg

Woahhhhh !!   that's like  wow  .. Namaste......Ommmmmmmmmmmmmmm

54 minutes ago, Redleg said:

He also missed an easy goal in the first few minutes which could have set us off on our way and later missed from 30 out straight in front, as Gawn also did a a little later.

Jeffys said shots have always been awful....part of his game he really needs to improve.

That and playing more than 2 thirds of a season.

3 minutes ago, leave it to deever said:

Jeffys said shots have always been awful....part of his game he really needs to improve.

That and playing more than 2 thirds of a season.

whilst id agree as such he was particularly off....well lets say not in the moment half the time especially the last 1/4 of the season.

Just now, beelzebub said:

whilst id agree as such he was particularly off....well lets say not in the moment half the time especially the last 1/4 of the season.

I know he had some personal issues but the same thing happened last year.

• Like 1

OK, a couple of days have passed.  We have heard the glib (expected, no very placating) statements from the club.  Reflections?

It was actually exciting to go to the footy this year.  We were in most games, and we were much better to watch when we were 'on'.

Best game:  Bulldogs.  4 quarters of awesome!

Best result:  West Coast!  What a last minute win!!!

Best players:  Oliver (how the Fukui did he not make the AA squad!), Trac, Viney, TMAC (forward) Jones, Hibberd and Milkshake (great pickups!).  Cameos from many others.

Disappointments:  Kent.  Lumbar puncture (why wait until after list lodgement to decide you are not up for it!). Max (back end of season). Bugg (that hit).  The umpires! Injuries.

Will they make it?  Stretch, JKH, Hulett, White.

I believe the Swans game was the beginning of the end for us.  We were absolutely smashed defensively that day, and we only ever played in fits and starts after this.  Were the young guys too tired??  Did they slip back into bad habits?

Issues:

•  Ruck and contested ball winning in the back part of the year.
  • Defensive spread in the midfield, exposing the back 6 too often.
  • Inside 50s, forward pressure, forward targets
  • Too many crap quarters
  • Not being able to smash teams when in front
  • Panic handballs
  • Inability to shut down opposition marks
  • Ability of the whole group to stick tackles
  • Predictable off the back of the square bounce strategy
  • Not being able to counter a loose man behind the ball (Intercept marking made easy.  Make Jeremy Howe look good)
  • Kick ins

I am absolutely gutted by how we missed the finals.  It sux to be us right now.  I will be really pizzed off if they don't take this as a kick in the arse and develop some resolve.  Not turning up on Saturday was a crime.  

• Like 8

53 minutes ago, Hell Bent said:

I`m still filthy!

I am actually more [censored] off about the Brisbane game the week before, when we went up by 5 goals then took the foot off the gas.

We should have done the complete opposite and buried them. This team just defies belief.  Percentage was so important and we think we were in a position to coast?

Very harsh lesson to learn, but we deserved it. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, buck_nekkid said:

OK, a couple of days have passed.  We have heard the glib (expected, no very placating) statements from the club.  Reflections?

It was actually exciting to go to the footy this year.  We were in most games, 

I believe the Swans game was the beginning of the end for us.  

Issues:

•  Ruck and contested ball winning in the back part of the year.
  • Defensive spread in the midfield, exposing the back 6 too often.
  • Inside 50s, forward pressure, forward targets
  • Too many crap quarters
  • Not being able to smash teams when in front
  • Panic handballs
  • Inability to shut down opposition marks
  • Ability of the whole group to stick tackles
  • Predictable off the back of the square bounce strategy
  • Not being able to counter a loose man behind the ball (Intercept marking made easy.  Make Jeremy Howe look good)
  • Kick ins

INot turning up on Saturday was a crime.  

Great post,  I also think we made a mistake in playing some players to get experience, though Omac now almost deserved his spot (he has courage) but we lost games and percentage in giving experience. I hope next year we shove that habit and play best 22 and aim to win all matches let them learn at Casey. Still a better year but a bitter taste in the mouth!

• Like 1

I would ask for a refund on our pre-season commando camp.

That was supposed to set us up for close contests like Saturday.

Serious waste of money that would have been better spent on a ball-skills course.

:P

• Like 2

5 hours ago, the rolling fog said:

Needs to stop reading his own press, and get back to being the ruckman who made the decision to be become no. 1 in the league. 

Stay off media street for a while, although I bet he'll now be on every panel that'll have him in September 

He did miss 12 weeks of football, or did you forget, no player can lose that much football and come back at there best, also he would not  have had trust in his hamstring after 12 weeks out, everyone is just brushing that a side its the biggest reason for the season he had,  i suppose hogan should have been kicking 5 goals ever week since he played a couple of games and was out then played a couple more games then missed 8 weeks and plays a couple more games then bust his shoulder, then pulls a hammy  no one can play well when they miss so much football.

• Like 2

Im shitty. And salty.

Id LOVE to believe this burns deep. Love to. It certainly does for me.

But i dont think it does for the players - no more than a normal loss anyway. 

If it does we will see... but [censored] theyve a lot of work to do for me to trust them right now

• Like 3

Out of interest has anyone seen, read or listened to any constructive commentary from the so called AFL experts about where we need to improve. I have been trying to keep up with any media commentary and haven't come across anything other than the standard stuff about lack of tackling in the first quarter and so forth. I don't have Foxtel so I might have missed something there  

Its been a massive bug bear of mine for years, how these so called experts offer nothing more than a standard footy follower could tell me. Particularly when we were really bad in the Neeld years there was never anything analysis of where we need to focus our efforts to improve. It's pretty obvious they do next to no preparation and just really on group think. 

Light years behind the coverage of sports in the US and Europe. 

• Like 3

On 27/08/2017 at 10:14 PM, Dappa Dan said:

I was highlighting the Lewis part only. Apologies for not being clearer.

Trade him? Seriously? Do you know what we gave up to get him? Next to nothing. You think he'd be worth more now?

Thank you for your considered response.   It will be interesting to see Lewis in the B + F and how the club rates him.  Nah, I too wouldn't give much for Vince but it may be worth a shot.

33 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

How Good was it!!

Couldn't have asked for much better. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Hell Bent said:

I`m still filthy!

I am helped by expecting it from around Round 18.  Like a slow-motion wreck.

If we had won by extra goal in any of the games where we were momentarily 40 - 60 up and scrambled home, we would be in the finals.  This match should have been irrelevant.

• Like 1