Round 23 Non MFC Games

danielE288

19 minutes ago, Demon Jack said:

The Bulldogs were never much of a chance to finish in the top 8 after this weekend, but its nice to have them off our back. One less team to worry about should we fall to Collingwood.

Realistically this result changes nothing, win we much and win we should.  I would be in a somber mood all week next week if we loose and go through anyway, any contemplation of a shalacking first week of finals.

Got to find that intense desire and form from mid season tomorrow and take that onto the week after.

Edited by Rodney (Balls) Grinter
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, monoccular said:

The Einsteins at AFL HQ did worse when we played the Dogs in the pink lady match a few years back - put the maggots in pink and in the view of many, confusion may well gave cost us the game. 

Last play of the game. Bartram in the middle hand balls straight to an umpire. I don't think I'll ever forget it.

• Like 2
  • Angry 1

Since the 8 came in has the premiership team missed the 8 in the next year?

Ironically the Bulldogs probably had less injuries than last year

PS... Have since answered my own question:

Since the AFL went to an eight-team finals system in 2000, only once has the reigning premiers missed the finals the next season. In 2017, it will occur for the second time.

The first time was the Hawks in ’09, after shocking the football world the year prior by knocking off a vintage Geelong team.

http://www.theroar.com.au/2017/03/22/afls-reigning-premiers-miss-top-eight/

The article makes a number of good points including this one:

The AFL’s banning of third-man-up at stoppages will have an adverse affect on the Dogs’ gameplan, as Marcus Bontempelli was a great exponent of it, ranked third in the league last season at 63 (per Champion Data).

Edited by Diamond_Jim

5 hours ago, Deemented Are Go! said:

What a great idea dressing the umps in blue to blend in with Footscray's jumper - lets face it it's the same team after all

Only to be out done years ago they put the ump's in pink the night we played the Bulldogs for the women's cancer game. We of course wore pink instead of red and the amount of time we kicked to an umpire was crazy stupid and from memory we lost by a small amount. The commentators were right on to it. In all games since the umpires have not worn pink. Should never have happened.

8 hours ago, Demon Jack said:

The Bulldogs were never much of a chance to finish in the top 8 after this weekend, but its nice to have them off our back. One less team to worry about should we fall to Collingwood.

They couldn't have toppled us with their percentage anyway, nor can St Kilda. Only team that can knock us out are West Coast.

7 hours ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

Will the AFL fine themselves for the clash jumper?

The AFL umpires are wearing blue this round to raise awareness for OPSM charity partner OneSight.

But I did want the dogs to win, only for them to get 8th and hopefully by some miracle essenscum would lose. But the way the dogs played last night, it didn't look like a team that was playing for 8th spot. 

But it was a nice tribute at the end for the 3 and of course gibbo. 

Franklin now 5 ahead of Kennedy for the Coleman.

This will make West COast Kennedy conscious tomorrow as they try get him the medal, and it will  hopefully hurt them.

Then we can make finals and face Sydney, and Buddy can kick 15 against us.

Edited by Petraccattack

I'm no ladder aficionado, but yes if you believe Adelaide want to win the minor prem. Sydney locked in 4th So Adelaide would play Sydney, 1st up as it stands, I don't think they'd fancy that. 

I think it's kind of irrelevant tbh, Adelaide will want to play Richmond not Sydney, so the tigs would need to beat the Saints by a fair margin, otherwise it's probably preferable to finish 2nd and line up against Geelong.

I dunno though.

24 minutes ago, danielE288 said:

Ah yeah, tigers will need to win by a fair bit, Richmond V Melbourne??

Tigers only need to win by 1 point to go ahead of Sydney, in fact they can draw and move ahead of Syd. If they do Syd drop to 5th, and we are most likely to finish 8th or 9th. So will play swans, port need to win by heaps to go ahead of Syd and if Richmond win, swans will be 6th and we would play port

5 minutes ago, danielE288 said:

I'm no ladder aficionado, but yes if you believe Adelaide want to win the minor prem. Sydney locked in 4th So Adelaide would play Sydney, 1st up as it stands, I don't think they'd fancy that. 

I think it's kind of irrelevant tbh, Adelaide will want to play Richmond not Sydney, so the tigs would need to beat the Saints by a fair margin, otherwise it's probably preferable to finish 2nd and line up against Geelong.

I dunno though.

Syd haven't locked in 4th, Richmond only need to draw or better and they move ahead of swans, port have to smash Gc to move ahead of swans

Edited by --coach--

1 minute ago, --coach-- said:

Syd haven't locked in 4th, Richmond only need to draw or better and they move ahead of swans, port have to smash Gc to move ahead of seansSean's

Yep sorry, thought the Swans were a game ahead of Richmond but they're equal. Swans % is much better. My mistake.

Edited by danielE288

The reason Geelong should never be given a final was on display five minutes ago. Patton is ludicrously called for tunnelling and then Hawkins is paid a mark which hit the turf. A three point game becomes a 15 point game.

• Like 1