GAMEDAY - Round 17

There was a time when I had some issues about giving up home games for the ? but these days, our record at the G isn't all that flash. We've only beaten Carlton (twice) and Collingwood there and have had costly stumbles against others who were outside the top 8. 

On the other hand, we're unbeaten at interstate venues and have done well away from home losing only to Geelong at Etihad when Max and Tim Smith both went down with injury and we ran out of gas.

I don't have high expectations tonight but getting the points would probably cement us in the finals race, albeit with lots of work to do.

• Like 4

It should have been an awesome game.1 v 5 and a finals birth tantalising us for the first time in over a decade. Im just finding it hard to get fully hopeful  about it knowing we're missing so many core players. But tbh I couldnt see how they could win last week either. The dees have continued to shock me in a good way this year .....and there would be no bigger shock than winning tonight. Still,  Im hoping ...and perhpas the  Darwin factor, and knowing the conditions, may give us some leg up. 

• Like 16

To express in a Generation Y way: we are missing sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many key players here. To nab one against a top 4 side will be a step up to next level. Strike me down but I'm looking forward to seeing us in white again.

• Like 2

As long as Kim Jong-un doesn't launch an intercontinental ballistic missile at Darwin tonight then I don't have a problem with us playing there.

Go Dees!

• Like 12

8 minutes ago, Monocology said:

To express in a Generation Y way: we are missing sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many key players here. To nab one against a top 4 side will be a step up to next level. Strike me down but I'm looking forward to seeing us in white again.

They'll be wearing white - we'll have our home strip on

• Like 3

With three key mids and Watts out, Hogan working back into it and Gawn not yet back to his best, this looks like a tough assignment.  Suspect we could have had a few 'ins' but are getting them cherry ripe for the run home.

No a lot of expectations tonight, but want to see:

• Controlling the corridor
  • Less rush, more speed (cut out the stupid extra hb that gets a guy in trouble)
  • Max picking up
  • Hogan and Plugger structuring up brilliantly in the forward half
  • JKH to be a revelation
  • Centre clearances 2:1 to the Dees (a reversal of the last 3-4 weeks)
  • Not being outmarked over and over and over again.
  • Not looking like the saints did against the [censored] last night

Go Dees

• Like 2

Your top end correspondent was in attendance at yesterday's Dees 'training session' at TIO stadium. Which was more akin to a stroll in the park basking in the warmth of the dry season sunshine.  Add a little goal kicking practice at the Michael Long Academy end and coach Goodwin leading a whole team rehearsal of what seemed to be positioning for a forward half  of the ground defensive press. Goody cut a dashing figure out there radiating confidence and if the clock could be turned back a decade could join the dynamic demons midfield this evening in a blink. Mingling with the kids and players at the end of the 'session' where autographs and selfie snaps were sought after. If one die hard long term demons supporter could be indulged a moment of reverie here in the arcadian fields of Marrara " If you build it they will come " .

• Like 17

After the Dons smashing St Kilda last night I had a look at their run home. They can easily get 12 wins. If we win tonite we are a definite lock for finals

Last week we lost the in the middle by about 3 to 1 and still won. That wont happen again. I hope we improve in the middle.

Perhaps JKH will do an O MAC and turn into superman as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Whispering_Jack said:

On the other hand, we're unbeaten at interstate venues and have done well away from home losing only to Geelong at Etihad when Max and Tim Smith both went down with injury and we ran out of gas.

He played out the Geelong game.  Injured against Richmond, along with Spencer.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Is this the biggest game Darwin's ever seen?

Marc McGowan's erudite report at afl.com.au

Sell-out likely as big time footy hits Top End

may help!

• Like 3

pre game confidence inexplicably growing. Dont know why but getting a warm and fuzxy feeling about this. We've been undermanned for pretty much the whole season so tonight shouldn't be any different. 

kent smith and hogan will all be better for the run last week. plugger McDonald just continues to amaze in his new role. Gawn should be starting to get his touch back. 

will be a tough bruising encounter. 

Dees by 16

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, america de cali said:

I guess we have a home ground advantage of sorts since we have played there for the past 7 years. 

With a crowd split  65% - 30% - 5%  Adelaide - Neutral - Melbourne (although 15% of that neutral figure will be Melbourne-leaning Power supporters). Figures courtesy of me.

11 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

as the capacity for TIO Stadium is only 14,000 I would hope it is a sell out

The population of Darwin is 140,000. If they get 14,000 there it would mean every 1 in 10 at the game. That is pretty impressive

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, fndee said:

The population of Darwin is 140,000. If they get 14,000 there it would mean every 1 in 10 at the game. That is pretty impressive

So you agree that as a market for supporters we would be better going for Bendigo and Ballarat that have a combined population that exceeds Darwin.

I understand all the arguments but to say we are building support in the Territory is a furphy. It's time to ditch Darwin.

2 minutes ago, fndee said:

It wouldn't mean that. Both Qantas and Virgin have flights to Darwin nowadays.

12 minutes ago, Skuit said:

It wouldn't mean that. Both Qantas and Virgin have flights to Darwin nowadays.

as an aside Virgin and especially Qantas are somewhat to blame for the high cost of flights to Darwin.

The Asian airlines wanted to fly from Asia to Darwin and pick up people for the onward flights to the capital cities down south.

This would have doubled the number of flights to Darwin at least. The NT government and the National Party were fully on favour but Qantas and their lobbyists won out and fares are still  some of the highest in the world when compared to similar routes.