Lynden Dunn - A fall from grace?

ignition.

As of 2015 Dunn was announced as the club's Vice Captain.

This year he didn't make the leadership group nor the Round 1 team.

Have I missed something? Was his pre-season interrupted, did he return unfit, or was he in trouble for some form of misdemeanor?

I find it all a little strange considering how solid he's been for us down back in recent seasons.

• Like 1

When did he last sign a contract? As for the last decade he'll perk up when he's in a contract year.

I thought his player review said he'd dropped several kilo's? 

His 2014 was great, his 2015 left a lot to desire, he stopped attacking games and really it took him until mid year to impact as a senior player should. Maybe he decided leadership wasn't for him? Leading from full back isn't exactly easy.

Anyway, they said the leaders would be picked when NAB challenge form was evident, which counted against him.

I expect he'll be back in the team very soon. But I'm not unhappy that he's been made to earn it. We can't afford senior players getting games on reputation, we've said that time and time again.

• Like 13

5 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

When did he last sign a contract? As for the last decade he'll perk up when he's in a contract year.

I thought his player review said he'd dropped several kilo's? 

His 2014 was great, his 2015 left a lot to desire, he stopped attacking games and really it took him until mid year to impact as a senior player should. Maybe he decided leadership wasn't for him? Leading from full back isn't exactly easy.

Anyway, they said the leaders would be picked when NAB challenge form was evident, which counted against him.

I expect he'll be back in the team very soon. But I'm not unhappy that he's been made to earn it. We can't afford senior players getting games on reputation, we've said that time and time again.

C grade to A grade at the smell of clover. Then A grade back to C  grade at a stoke of a pen. He can do better. It's up to him.

Edited by america de cali
  • Like 2

For all we know he may have asked to be dropped from the leadership group so he could concentrate on his game. As for missing round one, he was injured, missed game time as a result and it may be that he is simply not ready to come in yet, but has been named as an emergency in case there is a late withdrawal where a 75% Dunn is the best option.

Edited by hardtack
  • Like 9

Lead backline superbly under severe fire last few years with a drop off (along with many others) in last part of 2015. May be hitting a flat spot and need a bit of a recharge.

Injury wouldn't have helped but wasn't in the greatest form prior to that, albeit only NAB cup. Hope to see him back to his best with 2 to 3 AFL games under his belt.

If TMac and Garlo can offer decent support and clean up their acts in a few critical aspects of their game (not new problems for either player and were evident again in their last match against StKilda) it would be a huge help to his confidence and take the pressure off mentally a little which might also help with his general enthusiasm/attitude and enjoyment of the game. Might not hurt to allow him to rest up forward occasionally while Dawes is out as well to offer a different look for our opponents and kick occasional goal from around 50 (not saying he should play this role consistently ....just occasionally as a change up, might freshen him up also).

I expect Dunny (brush) will once again be cleaning the bowl with most of his opponents in a few weeks time.

Edited by Rusty Nails
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, demoniac said:

I quite like the fact that players not quite cherry ripe for Rnd 1 ie Dunn, Lumumba and Brayshaw were not just picked because its Rnd 1.

Dunn is just as ripe as, say, Vandenberg, probably riper given his experience and age.

It's not about fitness, even if that has been mentioned in passing. He wouldn't be named as emergency if he wasn't up to playing. Neither Lumumba nor Brayshaw are named as emergencies.

Dropped from leadership group should have already set the alarm bells going, so is it surprising that he's out of the Round 1 team as well? Suggestions around the place that there's something going on off-field with him, but who's to know, maybe he's just not meeting the coaches' expectations?

In the NAB cup match against Port, Dunn only had 6 possessions (and one mark) for 79% of game time. Tom Mac had 17 and 3 - a bit of a gulf there. Against the Dogs, Dunn played nearly a half of footy for 5 possessions and once again, one mark. And sure, stats aren't everything, but at least Oscar Mac had 6 marks (and 13 possessions) in his NAB cup game against St Kilda. Oscar also has his brother's endurance and fitness, and played 95% of game time against St Kilda, second only to Tom.

Maybe more going on here than we know, but maybe Dunn just hasn't done enough and Oscar is simply next cab off the rank.

Edited by bing181
Figures!

There is no arguement that Lyndens 2014 form was teriffic, 2015 left somewhat to be desired.
But what I see with bringing O'Mac in and leaving Dunn out makes sense.
Dunn will get plenty of game time this year, as mentioned, his pre-season way somewhat interrupted.
HOWEVER, Lynden Dunn whilst a great member of our club has peaked as a player and he has reached his ceiling.
Oscar however will only be second to his brother Tom in fitness and endurance, continue to develop well and has a lot...and I mean A LOT of potential to be just as good if not better than his brother.
The fact that we can afford to make these short term sacrifices with our list means that we have over 24 players who are putting their hands up for a spot meaning the lucky 24 that do get selected game day have to play their asses off.
This leads to strong, maintainable high performance longevity in our club.

Dunn is a great player but I get the feeling that he is a product of old Melbourne and unless his game returns to it's 2014 form, he will be spending his game days with Jack Grimes.

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with him, named as emergency so should be right. I would rather have an underdone Lyden Dunn than Oscar Mc Donald anyday. Oscar Mc donald was poor in the NAB games, caught out of position, outmarked and limited awareness. I really worry about his selection on Saturday Very worried!

• Like 3

I wouldn't read much into older types being left out of the leadership group. I think this is a common strategy, where he will still provide the same leadership, but it helps the younger leaders get a taste and emerge.

Not sure about the groin or form issues, but I think he still has a good few seasons left in him.

• Like 3

was a tad surprised but then elated.... The likes of Dunny are no longer walk up starts..  how good is that !!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Sailing Demon said:

There3n no arguement that Lyndens 2014 form was teriffic, 2015 left somewhat to be desired.
Dunn will get plenty of game time this year, as mentioned, his pre-season way somewhat interrupted.
HOWEVER, Lynden Dunn whilst a great member of our club has peaked as a player and he has reached his ceiling.
Oscar however will only be second to his brother Tom in fitness and endurance, continue to develop well and has a lot...and I mean A LOT of potential to be just as good if not better than his brother.
The fact that we can afford to make these short term sacrifices with our list means that we have over 24 players who are putting their hands up for a spot meaning the lucky 24 that do get selected game day have to play their asses off.

Dunn is a great player but I get the feeling that he is a product of old Melbourne and unless his game returns to it's 2014 form, he will be spending his game days with Jack Grimes.

Dunn at his very best Is a mile ahead of Oscar at this point. This should be so of course given the stages they are at In their careers. Not Saying Oscar doesnt have the talent to surpass Dunny but at this point pretty sure Roos/FD wld play a fit/healthy Lynden over Oscar assuming a choice had to be made between the 2

• Like 1

1 hour ago, picket fence said:

Nothing wrong with him, named as emergency so should be right. I would rather have an underdone Lyden Dunn than Oscar Mc Donald anyday. Oscar Mc donald was poor in the NAB games, caught out of position, outmarked and limited awareness. I really worry about his selection on Saturday Very worried!

Without bagging Oscar I feel the same way PF. OM is still a project player in my book and I strongly doubt the selectors would have been so brave if Cameron was playing. Still, I trust the club's decision making more than ever before and I love they gave an explanation on selection decisions when announcing the team. Another example on how far we have come.

You don't rush important senior players back for round one just because it's round one. McCarthy, Patton and Cameron are all out. Let Dunn get some match fitness and touch back and let OMac gain some confidence against a depleted side at home.

Edited by Brayshaw Self
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Maybe he's just one of those players that gets himself up for a contract year.

Watts is in a contract year and look how well he's started it.

Round 23 vs GWS last year was perhaps a sign of things to come when O Mac took his spot in defence and pushed him up forward.

I think you are correct - a lot of players fire up in their contract year. interesting comments about Dunn from Roos I this year's guide " Its really now about him grasping what we want him to do with regards to the game plan and making simple decisions"

• Like 1

12 hours ago, america de cali said:

C grade to A grade at the smell of clover. Then A grade back to C  grade at a stoke of a pen. He can do better. It's up to him.

Dunn has had a habit of performing when contracts coming up thru his career.  I can't comment on last season as I didn't get to games,  but I find this interesting,  he is 29 yrs in May.  Maybe 2seasons left in him before others overtake his position.

He is one of the few left from the old soft culture years.

7 hours ago, The Sailing Demon said:

There is no arguement that Lyndens 2014 form was teriffic, 2015 left somewhat to be desired.

# edit:  this  ^ ^ ^

Edited by dee-luded
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Brayshaw Self said:

You don't rush important senior players back for round one just because it's round one. McCarthy, Patton and Cameron are all out. Let Dunn get some match fitness and touch back and let OMac gain some confidence against a depleted side at home.

I'm not sure about this philosophy - I would have thought a Round 1 is pretty bloody important for us this year.

4 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Maybe he's just one of those players that gets himself up for a contract year.

Watts is in a contract year and look how well he's started it.

Round 23 vs GWS last year was perhaps a sign of things to come when O Mac took his spot in defence and pushed him up forward.

So is Jack Watts this season.  It'll be interesting.

We have to be more demanding on efforts to continue strengthening our culture.

1 hour ago, Rusty Nails said:

Dunn at his very best Is a mile ahead of Oscar at this point. This should be so of course given the stages they are at In their careers. Not Saying Oscar doesnt have the talent to surpass Dunny but at this point pretty sure Roos/FD wld play a fit/healthy Lynden over Oscar assuming a choice had to be made between the 2

at least having our younger guys in, even if surprising to me, shows us where we currently stack up against the rising Giants.  for a future gauge.

Just another player from the Daniher era that probably won't be part of the club's rise.

Don't mind him and much prefer him to Garland but I guess playing and developing Oscar is more important at this stage.