GAME DAY 13/3/16

Whispering_Jack

Melbourne has not beaten St Kilda since the Elimination Final of 2006 although it came within 40 seconds or so of achieving that feat last year at Etihad Stadium.

The teams play against each other three times this year at that very venue starting with today's game, then followed by meetings in round 6 and round 17 which makes today's encounter something more than a contest for bragging rights.

Here's the squad for today's game but it's worth noting that Billy Stretch, Viv Michie, Jayden Hunt and Dean Terlich all had hit outs at Casey yesterday.

Melbourne squad

1. Jesse Hogan

2. Nathan Jones

3. Christian Salem

4. Jack Watts

7. Jack Viney

11. Max Gawn

12. Dom Tyson

13. Clayton Oliver

15. Billy Stretch

16. Dean Kent

17. Sam Frost

20. Colin Garland

21. Cameron Pedersen

22. Viv Michie

23. Bernie Vince

25. Tom McDonald

28. Oscar McDonald

29. Jayden Hunt

31. Jack Grimes

32. Tomas Bugg

35. Ben Kennedy

36. Jeff Garlett

39. Neville Jetta

42. Josh Wagner

43. James Harmes

45. Matt Jones

46. Dean Terlich  

NAB Challenge 3

• Like 2

A friend of mine knows Viv very well.

He asked him why he thought he is being overlooked so much, his reply was simply he is still a rookie, and until he gets upgraded will be treated as such.

He isn't perturbed, it's just a waiting game.

Just now, Barney Rubble said:

A friend of mine knows Viv very well.

He asked him why he thought he is being overlooked so much, his reply was simply he is still a rookie, and until he gets upgraded will be treated as such.

He isn't perturbed, it's just a waiting game.

Hhhhmmmm maybe he needs to been to be playing/training better than a rookie ie he is seen as a better option than someone on the full list? Thus earning a spot on the list and getting games.

MFC hasn't been shy in upgrading rooks if they can contribute.

I know its only a practice game but gee i want us to win so bad. The confidence that would bring would be great going into round 1. Plus my Mrs is a Saints fan.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Cards13 said:

Hhhhmmmm maybe he needs to been to be playing/training better than a rookie ie he is seen as a better option than someone on the full list? Thus earning a spot on the list and getting games.

MFC hasn't been shy in upgrading rooks if they can contribute.

I think they would rather wait until the last minute in case there is a serious injury, otherwise you have just wasted an upgrade.

29 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Heading down from the bush to watch this game today.

Anyone know general admission for kids who aren't members please?

I don't think you can pass for 14 anymore Dazzle.

Especially with the beard.

• Like 12

I just want our team to play some quality football.

For most of four quarters. Good ball movement, hard at the contest and some genuinely promising signs from some players who need to take the next step.

If we lose in a close one but still provide the above, I would be over the moon.

But based on the side the saints have put out, I can't see us getting within 25 points unless everything clicks for us.

Edited by stevethemanjordan

Its only a NAB game so I won't be overly disappointed if we lose. Saying this, I wouldn't complain if we had a comfortable win. We've shaken off the cobwebs in the first two games, I'd like to see an upgrade in skills and some really clean, fast passages of play. Watts to kick another three and Hogan to kick a bag.

I think this game will tell us a little bit more about where we are at.  I just want us to show the same intent and commitment for the contest that we've shown over the last fortnight, and hopefully we can do it for more than a few quarters.

I liked what Ben Mathews said during the week - we are starting to do more of the right things but we still have plenty of work to do.  Clearly the coaches are pleased with our intent and willingness to get behind the game plan, it's just our execution that is letting us down a little.  

The one thing that worries me as well is the pace the Saints have, particularly through the middle of the ground.  We need to get first hands on the ball and not allow them a few easy hand passes that release their quicker players.  

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Biffen said:

I don't think you can pass for 14 anymore Dazzle.

Especially with the beard.

I went to Crazyburn with Bitters last week and he got in as a child whilst carrying a six pack of VB stubbies and a bottle of Beam. Anythings possible biff. 

• Like 11

3 hours ago, Whispering_Jack said:

Melbourne has not beaten St Kilda since the Elimination Final of 2006 although it came within 40 seconds or so of achieving that feat last year at Etihad Stadium.

The teams play against each other three times this year at that very venue starting with today's game, then followed by meetings in round 6 and round 17 which makes today's encounter something more than a contest for bragging rights.

Here's the squad for today's game but it's worth noting that Billy Stretch, Viv Michie, Jayden Hunt and Dean Terlich all had hit outs at Casey yesterday.

Melbourne squad

1. Jesse Hogan

2. Nathan Jones

3. Christian Salem

4. Jack Watts

7. Jack Viney

11. Max Gawn

12. Dom Tyson

13. Clayton Oliver

15. Billy Stretch

16. Dean Kent

17. Sam Frost

20. Colin Garland

21. Cameron Pedersen

22. Viv Michie

23. Bernie Vince

25. Tom McDonald

28. Oscar McDonald

29. Jayden Hunt

31. Jack Grimes

32. Tomas Bugg

35. Ben Kennedy

36. Jeff Garlett

39. Neville Jetta

42. Josh Wagner

43. James Harmes

45. Matt Jones

46. Dean Terlich  

NAB Challenge 3

Do you know what game time they played with Casey?  Interested as to whether we're going to play less than 24 or whether one of them suits up again today?  I see Lumumba got 28 in what was otherwise a pretty sobering afternoon for the VFL side.   We need to win today to stake another step towards eliminating the bloody hoo-doos hanging over us.  Geelong in Geelong and winning at Etihad (GWS) were two important ones and today needs to be a dress rehearsal for beating St Kilda for premiership points.

I'll be heading down today for my one and only appearance at Etihid for the year.I wouldn't be going if I didn't think we had a chance.I'm also looking forward to buying some merch with the new logo so I can put all my schwab logo merch in the back of the closet with all my other skeletons.

2 minutes ago, Copuchas said:

Do you know what game time they played with Casey?  Interested as to whether we're going to play less than 24 or whether one of them suits up again today?  I see Lumumba got 28 in what was otherwise a pretty sobering afternoon for the VFL side.   We need to win today to stake another step towards eliminating the bloody hoo-doos hanging over us.  Geelong in Geelong and winning at Etihad (GWS) were two important ones and today needs to be a dress rehearsal for beating St Kilda for premiership points.

Apart from Michie the rest played out the game. Michie went of in the 3rd and did not play the last quarter. Harry was pretty lively but tried to do to much without great support. Looks ready. Casey lost a lot of players from last year and it should not be forgotten that Willy won the VFL premiership as a stand alone team. But notwithstanding Casey looked under prepared part of which I figured was that they hardly know each others game style. Had a fair few AFL players in the team that would barely even know their VFL team mates. 

• Like 1

Have woken up more confident than yesterday....

Prediction time...

• Gawn to give us first use at the centre clearances 
  • Viney, Jones and Vince all with 20+ touches
  • Same players all with 4+ clearances
  • Hogan/Watts with 10 goals between them (unsure of the split)
  • Dees win by 23 points
  • I am happy and enjoy my dinner

Let's see how it goes eh?

:)

• Like 2

Just now, dazzledavey36 said:

Heading down from the bush to watch this game today.

Anyone know general admission for kids who aren't members please?

Try wearing a high vis vest and a hard hat. Tell'em you are doing a quote for Eddie on the cost of ripping the joint down.

• Like 3

Two things vital today IMO:

1/ A good start. Need to be on the front foot this week, won't be able to give up a headstart to the opposition in the season proper.

2/ Dear god, no injuries please. I'm knocking on wood more than SWYL building his bomb shelter on the weekends.

A win would also be good, but it's the 3rd priority behind those two things for me.

3 minutes ago, DeeVoted said:

Try wearing a high vis vest and a hard hat. Tell'em you are doing a quote for Eddie on the cost of ripping the joint down.

They'll see through that. Eddie doesn't pay for things. Eddie gets government to pay for things.

Try walking in backwards with food in your hands and ask for a passout.

• Like 2