The Jack Trengove is BACK Thread

McQueen

3 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

More or just something different? ANB and Harmes are quick enough to chase, tackle and find the ball at half forward, they just aren't very good. Trenners would be better with the ball sure, but he'd probably barely touch it and provide just as little if not less pressure. He's not going to play round 1, there's just no spot for him, where as those other 2 are at least options to play half forward.

Be great if we could have found out for sure. In a practice match or something?

Trengove should have seen the writing on the wall when Goodwin told him he had to pay for his own ticket.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

More or just something different? ANB and Harmes are quick enough to chase, tackle and find the ball at half forward, they just aren't very good. Trenners would be better with the ball sure, but he'd probably barely touch it and provide just as little if not less pressure. He's not going to play round 1, there's just no spot for him, where as those other 2 are at least options to play half forward.

I know he's not but I'm saying he's a better option.

He will find the ball & use it well, the other 2 can't & they provided zilch forward pressure tonight.

So if the coach is good to his word they won't line up, that is unless the KPI's are to not hit the scoreboard, make poor decisions with or without ball in hand and provide little resistance to running defenders.

Thought we'd given away doing stupid things. 

Just missed perfect opportunity to evaluate him. Playing at Casey ? 

Fmd..are we going backwards already ?

• Like 6

48 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

A first year coach 'bb'...it's going to be a rocky ride.

Lets hope he settles quickly.

• Like 3

I'm certain Trengove would have been aware of what was going on before the game, and probably before they flew over.

"Jack, we want a full dress rehearsal before round 1, so we aren't planning on using all 24 players. We are going to take you over as an emergency in case someone gets injured"

Pretty simple really.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Forest Demon said:

I'm certain Trengove would have been aware of what was going on before the game, and probably before they flew over.

"Jack, we want a full dress rehearsal before round 1, so we aren't planning on using all 24 players. We are going to take you over as an emergency in case someone gets injured"

Pretty simple really.

And perhaps the plan is to give a good hit out today, in which case getting loads right would be tricky if he had played even limited minutes last night (plus risk of coppunf say a corky ans not being able tp play today)

• Like 1

For the record the reigning premiers did a similar thing. They took a couple of blokes up to the gold coast who didnt play. It was clearly a plan to play the 22 plus spencer (probably protecting their big bearded asset). Trengrove would have known this so i doubt he is that conserned. Probably had him there to keep to their plan if they had an injury. Would this really be such a big deal around here if it was anyone but trenners?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, beelzebub said:

Pointing the 'stupid' finger at everyone but yourself as usual. He travelled as an emergency and if things go well he will not play much this year... can it get any simpler?

2 hours ago, the fork said:

Pointing the 'stupid' finger at everyone but yourself as usual. He travelled as an emergency and if things go well he will not play much this year... can it get any simpler?

He was named in the team, he was not an emergency.  If Goodwin wanted him to play- he could have.

People aren't questioning the technicality, rather the choice that was made for him not to play.  

Did we really need three full preseason games into Jones, Vince and Lewis?  Maybe you and some others think so, but the frustration for many is the fact that we have shown little versatility over the three games and have left ourselves with many unknowns going into round one.  Jetta hasn't played at all and we got carved up last night by Lecras; Weidenman is talented, but is he going to outperform Pederson, who we also haven't seen; are the two Macs in better form than Frost, again we don't know.  If the plan was to have Trengove as an emergency, why not take over a first year played and give them some experience traveling and preparing interstate?

It's not 'stupid' for people to be asking some of these questions. 

• Like 7

29 minutes ago, TeamPlayedFine39 said:

He was named in the team, he was not an emergency.  If Goodwin wanted him to play- he could have.

People aren't questioning the technicality, rather the choice that was made for him not to play.  

Did we really need three full preseason games into Jones, Vince and Lewis?  Maybe you and some others think so, but the frustration for many is the fact that we have shown little versatility over the three games and have left ourselves with many unknowns going into round one.  Jetta hasn't played at all and we got carved up last night by Lecras; Weidenman is talented, but is he going to outperform Pederson, who we also haven't seen; are the two Macs in better form than Frost, again we don't know.  If the plan was to have Trengove as an emergency, why not take over a first year played and give them some experience traveling and preparing interstate?

It's not 'stupid' for people to be asking some of these questions. 

Not disagreeing with you, but apparently Frost has an injured toe and couldn't be considered anyway.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Forest Demon said:

Pretty simple really.

Maybe, but perhaps you give the coaching staff to much credit. I am always amazed that despite the professionalism of the game, clubs and coaches still get it wrong in regard to people/player communication and management.

Hopefully you are right, but it still seems surprising that he did not get a run. I would have had one of the younger players as the emergency and given Trengove at least half a game to give him some game time. Perhaps his cards are marked as depth only.

However, I feel he will get his chance but he will have to grab it. I don't think selectors will be patient and allow him time to play himself into form.

3 hours ago, the fork said:

G'day, Happy.

I can't recall seeing the team breakdown as listing emergencies. Trengove was in his playing kit, sitting on the pine all game - a practice game.

I can't imagine it would be an enjoyable experience for any professional and driven athlete - particularly for a bloke with a history of battling through adversity like JT has.

I and many others feel for him. Maybe if you put yourself in his shoes you would too.

• Like 7

Don't like saying it but we have a history of disrespecting our captains.  If it's a line ball call whether to play trenners or someone else then we should be leaning towards our past captain who still has youth on this side to play in a successful era. I actually find the decision very embarrassing for the club and it does anger me that this happens time and time again

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, McQueen said:

G'day, Happy.

I can't recall seeing the team breakdown as listing emergencies. Trengove was in his playing kit, sitting on the pine all game - a practice game.

I can't imagine it would be an enjoyable experience for any professional and driven athlete - particularly for a bloke with a history of battling through adversity like JT has.

I and many others feel for him. Maybe if you put yourself in his shoes you would too.

I would feel sorry for him if he was told he was playing, then didn't get any minutes.

For some reason, most likely common sense, I don't feel the need to feel sorry for him.

3 hours ago, the fork said:

Think you might stand in front of a mirror and point where ought.

Check facts !!

6 minutes ago, billy2803 said:

I would feel sorry for him if he was told he was playing, then didn't get any minutes.

For some reason, most likely common sense, I don't feel the need to feel sorry for him.

Well you're just a cold-hearted anonymous internet person.

4 hours ago, rjay said:

A first year coach 'bb'...it's going to be a rocky ride.

Lets hope he settles quickly.

Think this describes it accurately. He lacks some of that wise , calm perspective that Roos so effortlessly brought and I think he's pulling a few wrong levers. Nothing TOO drastic just missing a little.  But, unlike Roos, his reputation and coaching future lies firmly in the results column of his time with us. He's 100% invested in a way Roos didn't need to be. So I guess he's got to be allowed to find his way. Worst case scenario, its mid year and Watts, who hasn't found find form is dropped and people question our handling of him AGAIN...and  Trengove injures himself in the mud at Casey.  Best case Watts comes back in and fires up and Trenners pushes up and proves all the doubters wrong. 

4 hours ago, ArtificialWisdom said:

For the record the reigning premiers did a similar thing. They took a couple of blokes up to the gold coast who didnt play. It was clearly a plan to play the 22 plus spencer (probably protecting their big bearded asset). Trengrove would have known this so i doubt he is that conserned. Probably had him there to keep to their plan if they had an injury. Would this really be such a big deal around here if it was anyone but trenners?

Isn't that the point?   This is a player that would accept sitting on the bench the entire game is what the team required, but that doesn't mean it doesn't damage his confidence.

Goodwin has pulled two stupid culture moves with Watts and now Trenners.

• Like 1

Just now, No10 said:

Isn't that the point?   This is a player that would accept sitting on the bench the entire game is what the team required, but that doesn't mean it doesn't damage his confidence.

Goodwin has pulled two stupid culture moves with Watts and now Trenners.

Or maybe he thinks high enough of Trenners to have him on the bench supporting his teammates as opposed to sitting in the stands? He would know who he needs to overtake to get a game. He also would have known what was involved. Guarantee Trenners would be better dealing with the bench and then the rush flight than one of the young kids would be. 

8 minutes ago, ArtificialWisdom said:

Or maybe he thinks high enough of Trenners to have him on the bench supporting his teammates as opposed to sitting in the stands? He would know who he needs to overtake to get a game. He also would have known what was involved. Guarantee Trenners would be better dealing with the bench and then the rush flight than one of the young kids would be. 

Now he can fly all the way back and suit up for Casey.

I doubt him making back to best 22, but give the guy a chance to play good football maybe?