POST MATCH DISCUSSION - Round 18

Demonland

Please... just enjoy the win. So negative. Lighten up, we won.

Agree with the Steve.

Yes we can all enjoy the win but there is nothing wrong with asking those questions.

It doesn't mean that the win wasn't enjoyable just raises questions.

• Like 1

Who'd of thought beating Collingwood could get any better?

Post game in the lift with mostly Melbourne fans. Stop at level 3 and in walks none othen Eddie Maguire. You could hear a pin drop. I asked him how the call went to which he replied " yeah! ". More silence followed before i replied geez i knew i should have taped press red for Ed! His reply.....Hhhmmm! ......Followed by more silence.

All is well in the world tonight!!!

Nothing like being HUMBLE in defeat.

Doubt Eddie spaghetti would know what that means.

Makes it even sweeter.

• Like 1

Good win with nothing to be overly excited about. Pies were shocking.

Let's see if we can back it up next week.

Or at least stay competitive and not completely drop off in skill level.

It's all I ask for. For next week and until the end of the season.

Consistency in effort and general football skills.

I'd prefer to be a little more giving of praise to the boys on this occasion.

Pies were ordinary because they were pressured and harrassed all day. We didn't let them play the type of footy they're capable of and it should be applauded. Yesterday was a marked improvement compared to the win against the Lions.

• Like 3

Agree with the Steve.

Yes we can all enjoy the win but there is nothing wrong with asking those questions.

It doesn't mean that the win wasn't enjoyable just raises questions.

Yeah, they're fair enough questions but it would be nice to just celebrate without the negativity. It's like when you've just had sex and the missus says, 'That was great, but..... '. It takes all the pleasure out of it.

Edited by The Reverend
  • Like 1

Not sure whether it's been mentioned previously but the low crowd number to their home game was noticeable.

66,120 for our home game against them and 37, 894 for their home game against us ... nearly all the games are stand alone fixtures these days so where are their members for such a vital game?

Those numbers could easily be interpreted as them jumping off far too quickly where as we continue to punch way above our weight - all things considered.

And when is the heat going to come onto Buckley? He "talks" well (apparently) but his team is going backwards - the players don't play for him. I hope they re-sign him for another 5 years - he will never win a premiership for them.

• Like 3

I hven't watched the replay yet but I intend taking particular note of GRIMES when I do.

At the game I thought he played his best game for us for a long while and was a very useful contributor - solid saving marks made good position and used the ball well and was a strong element in our defensive structure.

Then I get on here and found people bagging him and my immediate reaction is to note who the critics are and I resolve not to regard their opinions as of any value in future. As they say in the classics ' you know who you are'.

So here's my promise. I will thoroughly review the game for the sheer pleasure of it, but if I am wrong and Grimes was no good I will post my apology. If my opinion is confirmed I will name names because the negativity and rushes to judgement on this site sometimes get up my nose.

My best: Vince (obviously) Watts (another who cops unwarranted #@$% on this site and elsewhere), Gawn, Jones, Grimes

just finished watching the afl's smart replay and paid particular attention to grimes

have to say his decision making and awareness was not good. I got very nervous just watching

• Like 1

His old man didn't play 100 games for us

Maybe he will follow in the steps of his old man by ditching the Pies and crossing over to US!

Yeah, they're fair enough questions but it would be nice to just celebrate without the negativity.

That's where we differ Rev I don't c it as negative but more being realistic.

Hey I don't think we will agree on this but at least we won and can have a good weekend.

I hven't watched the replay yet but I intend taking particular note of GRIMES when I do.

At the game I thought he played his best game for us for a long while and was a very useful contributor - solid saving marks made good position and used the ball well and was a strong element in our defensive structure.

Then I get on here and found people bagging him and my immediate reaction is to note who the critics are and I resolve not to regard their opinions as of any value in future. As they say in the classics ' you know who you are'.

So here's my promise. I will thoroughly review the game for the sheer pleasure of it, but if I am wrong and Grimes was no good I will post my apology. If my opinion is confirmed I will name names because the negativity and rushes to judgement on this site sometimes get up my nose.

My best: Vince (obviously) Watts (another who cops unwarranted #@$% on this site and elsewhere), Gawn, Jones, Grimes

Grimes was caught 3 or 4 times with the footy and kicked one on the full as well. He did alright getting the ball but is still far too slow getting rid of it.

• Like 3

Obviously footy is hard to telecast because of the size of the ground, but there is no need for them to be so zoomed-in that when a ball is hand-passed it goes off the screen and you have to guess to whom it is going. Particularly nerve racking for a Demons supporter because it is likely to be going to someone about to be pummelled. Or we just see a player running with a ball on green grass with no idea what he faces in front or behind. I do not need to know if the player shaved that morning.

Great call! The camera work of the broadcasters needs some serious work.

Grimes got caught HTB on at least three occasions that I can recall, with a couple more that were very fortunate not to be called. He did hospital handpasses. He kicked out on the full. He made poor decisions all day. To name him among the best ahead of the likes of Hogan, Viney, Jetta, Dunn and Garland is very odd.

Watching the replay on fox footy. All pro Collingwood commentators unashamedly biased in their call. Why do we have to put up with this? What a disgrace Eddie McGuire is? How can Fox Footy get away with this? Have to watch it on mute.

• Like 2

Watching the replay on fox footy. All pro Collingwood commentators unashamedly biased in their call. Why do we have to put up with this? What a disgrace Eddie McGuire is? How can Fox Footy get away with this? Have to watch it on mute.

It was a special thing they occasionally do called "Press Red for Ed", where instead of listening to normal commentary, you can listen to purposely biased commentary,

• Like 1

Grimes got caught HTB on at least three occasions that I can recall, with a couple more that were very fortunate not to be called. He did hospital handpasses. He kicked out on the full. He made poor decisions all day. To name him among the best ahead of the likes of Hogan, Viney, Jetta, Dunn and Garland is very odd.

If you don't like Grimes you must pull your hair out with Lumumba. Won't put his body in, poor decision maker but gets away with it because he doesn't get the ball.

At least Grimes has a go, puts his body on the line and is clean with his hands and overhead. I'm not convinced that Grimes is best 22 but I'll have him ahead of Lumumba every time. I've just watched the replay and for much of the first quarter Lumumba was on Sidebottom who racked up a lazy 14 in the first quarter. Cross then went on to him and he was ineffectual. Lumumba also ignored Hogan who was clear on the lead and kicked to Garlett who was covered by two in the goal square.

• Like 4

If you don't like Grimes you must pull your hair out with Lumumba. Won't put his body in, poor decision maker but gets away with it because he doesn't get the ball.

At least Grimes has a go, puts his body on the line and is clean with his hands and overhead. I'm not convinced that Grimes is best 22 but I'll have him ahead of Lumumba every time. I've just watched the replay and for much of the first quarter Lumumba was on Sidebottom who racked up a lazy 14 in the first quarter. Cross then went on to him and he was ineffectual. Lumumba also ignored Hogan who was clear on the lead and kicked to Garlett who was covered by two in the goal square.

That's fair.

Lumumba was a little better yesterday with his willingness and ability to break the lines and execute his skills but in the context of this season he's very much on the fringes for mine. H has long been better known for his offensive capability than defensive capability.

Grimes is almost as hard and brave a player as we have imo, and he was one of our better players last week from slim pickings. This week he was poor. His decisonmaking was far too slow and it stood out.

Edited by P-man
  • Like 1

The negatives after wins has to stop, it starts with the fans and flows to the players, negatitve energy spreads, Paul roos said the players did not lose confidence after a lose, which is a good thing, but he also said they did not gain n much confidence from a win, that's what has to change for this team to became a good team

Edited by not angry anymore

Lumumba has been a terrible recruit.

Saying Grimes is better isn't saying much. Get well soon, Salem.

wtf was with Grimes running 5 steps then turtling up? It was cringeworthy.

Lumumba's first accurate, releasing, attacking handball was the highlight of his year.

No class off half back is a huge reason we get so few inside 50's.

• Like 2

grimes like some of our players is still work in progress, he has some good skills but also has some deficiencies that can hopefully be resolved in the coming years.

I don't get this idea of Grimes, Dawes and Garland being works in progress. In their mid-20s I'm pretty sure they all played at their absolute best yesterday and it's not quite good enough for modern football or going to help push the Demons forward (targeting them specifically because they probably have some residual trade value). Pedo hurts my argument somewhat.

Lumumba has been a terrible recruit.

Saying Grimes is better isn't saying much. Get well soon, Salem.

wtf was with Grimes running 5 steps then turtling up? It was cringeworthy.

Lumumba's first accurate, releasing, attacking handball was the highlight of his year.

No class off half back is a huge reason we get so few inside 50's.

His 60m pass to Garlett against Geelong where he pushed past two players and ran the lines was a ripper as well.

Lumumba has done a variety of good things this year but has largely been asked to play more negating roles than he was asked to do for the Pies.

He certainly hasn't had a good year by his standards but Roos is asking him to do things he hasn't been required to do in the past.

• Like 4

Grimes registered two frees against. By my recollection, the OOTF and the holding the ball where he was tackled by the neck.

I thought there were more too, but that's what the records say. If I get a chance later I'll go through the smart replay.

Grimes is depth, can get the ball but doesn't know what to do when he has space. Salem or Kent back in and it's bye to VFL

Edited by Jesse Christ