Gold Coast Drug Culture

dazzledavey36

Mark Robinson has spoken before about Harley Bennell drunkenly approaching him at the Brownlow on multiple occasions, ready to punch his head in until other players have intervened.

I dare say Robbo has been sitting on these photos, not to protect the player, but waiting for a slow news week.

I don't reckon he'd take pride in it, but I think that sort of behaviour would make you a lot less hesitant to release the photos & protect the kid from his own stupidity.

according to the age they were approached this week to better or equal the hun's offer of $15,000 and they declined

so i doubt the hun was sitting on them (but someone was)

I had mate who worked for an AFL club, he said on a Monday morning their would be a que of players outside the doctors room, they'd walk in and say I had drug "Y" on the weekend, the doc would then give them something to mask it if they happened to be tested... The system is a joke. Another friend of my just only 3 weeks ago, was in the presence of a young up and coming star of the game taking cocaine on the back of their sides bye... It's not just the Gold Coast, they've just been the ones to be caught out.

Well that's all true too.

I almost drove off the road in hysterics listening to Mark Allen on the radio feigning disbelief that anyone would do hard drugs like these.

Of all people!

Mark Robinson has spoken before about Harley Bennell drunkenly approaching him at the Brownlow on multiple occasions, ready to punch his head in until other players have intervened.

I dare say Robbo has been sitting on these photos, not to protect the player, but waiting for a slow news week.

I don't reckon he'd take pride in it, but I think that sort of behaviour would make you a lot less hesitant to release the photos & protect the kid from his own stupidity.

Robinson.......Bennell .....drunkendly ....... multiple occasions. :-)))))

I'm glad nobody on the footy show uses drugs.

Channel 7 must be clean too

of course the herald scum staff are pure as the driven snow

The Age and all the AFL staff too.

I'm so pleased there is plenty of solid citizens cleaning out the scourge of illicit drug use!!!

Biff, watching League Teams last night, it's clear that Brad Johnson has a clean record, but the host, well, he didn't exactly deny any involvement in similar activities to what we are discussing.

I think someone mentioned earlier in the thread that players should abandon the Hun and 360.

Players should do that, but they won't.

I see that muppett Damien Barrett was on the footy show last night trying to preach ethics, its like all the sudden he has some principles. Give me a break Damo.

Oh yes that works soooooo welllll.....treating people like adults! What does that mean? Let's all just take up using ice, crack a few heads run riot and generally do WTF we want to the detriment of society.....

What a I think is hilarious is dope heads take pictures of themselves using drugs then complain it gets in the papers.....cameras were banned when we had fun out and about. Idiots now don't get consequences

nah i just reckon if you empower power to make their own decisions that can have a good effect. if you have too many rules and treat the group like cattle - they will behave like sheep. eg, the essendon players not even questioning all those injections! (off topic i know)

people will still mess up and make mistakes. come down hard on them rather than covering it up. then people should learn from that

You're kidding yourself if you don't think we would have any gear-loving players on the list. I have no idea who, but we would have some. As long as they don't go off the rails Ben Cousins style, stay out of headlines and avoid the 3-strike suspension (which seems to not exist), then I'm not too fazed about it.

You're kidding yourself if you don't think we would have any gear-loving players on the list. I have no idea who, but we would have some. As long as they don't go off the rails Ben Cousins style, stay out of headlines and avoid the 3-strike suspension (which seems to not exist), then I'm not too fazed about it.

Spot on, we'd have a few. The thing is with the Gold Coast is that drug use in a public manner - damages their brand. The AFL is primarily a business these days, so when players go out and participate in drugs, get caught - that damages the brand. I think the AFL would be more annoyed that this came out - than they would be about the issue of drugs itself. The whole 3 strikes concept is modeled around secrecy and keeping things in house - away from the public knowledge. The AFL has hidden behind a 3 strikes system that it swears is in the best interest of the health/well being of the player. Conveniently, the 3 strikes system gives the AFL the best opportunity to protect the AFL brand.

Edited by KingDingAling

Well that's all true too.

I almost drove off the road in hysterics listening to Mark Allen on the radio feigning disbelief that anyone would do hard drugs like these.

Of all people!

I'm glad nobody on the footy show uses drugs.

Channel 7 must be clean too

of course the herald scum staff are pure as the driven snow

The Age and all the AFL staff too.

I'm so pleased there is plenty of solid citizens cleaning out the scourge of illicit drug use!!!

Absolutely amazing. We are very lucky to have a bunch of clean skins in the media and running the AFL.

...but this is not what I hear and it's often the ones that protest the most that have the most to cover up.

I would have thought Speed which apparently is what Bennell was snorting could be classified as performance enhancing

All stimulants must be regarded as performance enhancing- surely.

I think most if not all stimulants would only be performance enhancing if taken just before, or during, a game.

Taken at any other time, they are more likely to drain your energy levels and detract from your performance than enhance it.

Not kidding myself at all. I'm not naive enough to think it goes on! But if they get caught, then cancel their contracts full stop.

It's symptomatic of the drug culture ....throw mud at its detractors to deflect responsibility.

Have a look at the health system it's costing taxpayers millions upon millions every year because of a drug culture.

Society is in the gutter on this topic.

And yes folks, we have the winner of today's 'post with the most hyperbole' award.

FMD...

I think most if not all stimulants would only be performance enhancing if taken just before, or during, a game.

Taken at any other time, they are more likely to drain your energy levels and detract from your performance than enhance it.

Not true - the highs can last for a long time - Bennell was caught using the night before a game. Was likely playing under the influence.

Not true - the highs can last for a long time - Bennell was caught using the night before a game. Was likely playing under the influence.

Where does it say he was caught the night before a game?

The photos posted in the HS were said to be taken 9 days before round 1.

I would have thought Speed which apparently is what Bennell was snorting could be classified as performance enhancing and as such should have the same consequences as taking other performance enhancers.

Seems unjust that someone like Saad gets 2 years for a relatively minor indiscretion and Bennell is likely to face only a wrist slap, if anything.

There needs to be a major rethink by the AFL before the competition implodes.

It is classed as performance enhancing if you get caught on game day you will get a 2 year ban. Saad's ban was too heavy but his substance was also only illegal on match days.

Harley Bennell himself is testament that the party lifestyle is not performance enhancing. His inconsistencies on field are surely reflective of his inconsistent lifestyle off field.

The AFL will not implode due to a few players taking illicit drugs.

Athletes from sporting competitions across the world - NBA, NFL, NHL, EPL, Golf, Tennis, rugby codes have all been caught with illicit drugs.

We can tighten the penalties and ban players, lessen the testing and lessen the protective health care measures that have stopped players going off the wagon or both. Nothing is really going to change.

It is classed as performance enhancing if you get caught on game day you will get a 2 year ban. Saad's ban was too heavy but his substance was also only illegal on match days.

Harley Bennell himself is testament that the party lifestyle is not performance enhancing. His inconsistencies on field are surely reflective of his inconsistent lifestyle off field.

Not sure what makes you think he is inconsistent. In 75 games he has five games of less than 15 possessions and never had less than 10.

This where the 3 strike policy fails. I mean if the club and coach was informed after 1 strike then they would have been able to help him sooner but the coaches have no idea what players are on what strikes.

Am I naive to think all our boys are cleanskins. No im sure there are some who have dabbled although when I look at our boys i wouldnt believe it. Some past players definitely I have suspicions about.

But drugs are illegal but if a player has a drink then they get hauled in front of a presser apologising. But drug takers are protected.

Also someone has been sitting on these photos for 2 years. Obviously the herald sun paid for them so someone has made some cash.

Karmichael Hunt has dropped everyone in it and he should tell the club who the others are. I can see why players wouldnt have come forward when the club asked them to but they look pretty silly now.

The self reporting by players should also be stopped. The players are taking advantage of the system by doing drugs then admitting they did them without getting a strike.

Everyone is concerned about Bennells welfare and yes they should be but what if he is one of these players that has no regard for the system and thinks he can beat it or just laughs it off.

also poor Rocket, he must wonder what he has got himself into.

Not sure what makes you think he is inconsistent. In 75 games he has five games of less than 15 possessions and never had less than 10.

He should be a superstar. Has all the talent. Can get 30 touches a game and kick bags of goals.

Look at this scorecard. He can have 8's and 9's level games and then follow it up with 4's and 5's.

http://www.aflplayerratings.com.au/Ratings/Player/115765/Harley-BENNELL

You'd probably be the only person to say he's not inconsistent.

gives one a warm fizzy feeling doesn't it biffo

i get lots of those in my dotage lately

That's urine DC.

• Like 2

I rest my case.....[censored]

Your case rests on absurd assumptions that "society is in the gutter" because of a "drug culture"? And that players caught should be thrown out of the AFL?

Glad your not my lawyer, or the AFL's advisor on drugs...... [censored]

I would guess cocaine use would be the highest by occupation in entertainment,television,arts,sports,music,dance etc

So I doubt these Goldy boys will get much of a penalty at all!

We cannot start to dictate to people what they can and cant do behind closed doors.

Drugs have been in footy for a long time ,perhaps 40 years or more.

If you dont like it .

Take your children to the cycling.

We don't own them.

eTaken at any other time, they are more likely to drain your energy levels and detract from your performance than enhance it.

No. They would not. You'd have to whacked off your head on drugs to think that recreation drugs are going to enhance your performance on game-day.