Brendan McCartney

Redleg

I was told this morning, and take this with a grain of salt, as it was a long term Essendon Member that the Bombers weren't sure they could get Worsfold on a long term deal so they're looking at a Paul Roos style Succession plan with Stuart Dew to take over and Woosha to see the club through what will no doubt be a tough few years

Robert Walls buys into EFC coach. http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/robert-walls-questions-the-chase-for-john-worsfold--an-ordinary-coach-20150920-gjqnp7.html

About Worsfold he says:

"Now Worsfold is an interesting case study. As a player he was very good. As a captain he was inspirational. As a person they say few are better, but as a coach I think he was ordinary. In 11 years as senior coach of one of the best-resourced clubs in the country, and with the best ever centre square combination (Cox, Cousins, Kerr, Judd) he finished with one premiership (by a point) and a 53 per cent winning rate. It was also on his watch that a drug culture festered that ultimately ruined the club's reputation. The people in high places at the Eagles at the time will always question whether enough was done to control a dangerous situation. When Worsfold left, the team sat 13th on the ladder. Now, less than two years later, with a progressive new coach, the Eagles are flag favourites."

About McCartney he says:

"McCartney looked to the future and played kids. In three seasons, 16 youngsters debuted under him. He put tough demands on them and started to set high standards as he knows what's required to build a premiership team. Problem was, some of the oldies couldn't cope. They started to [censored] and the younger ones became affected too. Macca was too tough, too defensive. It's no fun anymore, they whinged. When the captain walked out, the club panicked. McCartney, who had a couple of years on contract, read the play and fell on his sword for the good of the cause'.

A fairly convincing set of arguments from Walls.

However, I suspect EFC arrogance will make them go for a 'successful' coach.

All to our good!

• Like 6

We may not need to worry 'Steve': '...West Coast Eagles' great Glen Jakovich - a former teammate and close friend of Worsfold - has declared Worsfold will join the Bombers, with Guy McKenna his deputy'. http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-trade-news-its-now-patrick-dangerfields-decision-say-waiting-geelong-cats-20150919-gjqe2t.html#ixzz3mAfVgWB9

But I'm a bit worried that Crows or Blues might pinch Macca as their 'mentor coach' ala Roos/Goodwin.

Keeping fingers crossed and waiting nervously...

I don't think that could happen if we have him under contract. A bit like the Dew situation with us, unless he is senior coach he will be held to his contract. I doubt it would be an issue with McCartney anyway, he's committed and seems the sort that would follow through that commitment.

• Like 1

I don't think McCartney will get the nod at Essendon as they will see him as damaged goods. Their recent expertise in dealing with genuine damaged goods has not mitigated their entrenched arrogance.

I don't think his brief stint as senior coach qualifies him as a "coach mentor" for any club.

But just in case ... I hope he won't be attracted to Essendon ... he's only just starting to see the fruits of his labour here. And he might yet end up senior coach of MFC.

• Like 1

I don't think that could happen if we have him under contract. A bit like the Dew situation with us, unless he is senior coach he will be held to his contract. I doubt it would be an issue with McCartney anyway, he's committed and seems the sort that would follow through that commitment.

I really, really hope you're right rjay.

Would be extremely disappointed to lose McCartney.

• Like 2

I don't think McCartney will get the nod at Essendon as they will see him as damaged goods. Their recent expertise in dealing with genuine damaged goods has not mitigated their entrenched arrogance.

I don't think his brief stint as senior coach qualifies him as a "coach mentor" for any club.

But just in case ... I hope he won't be attracted to Essendon ... he's only just starting to see the fruits of his labour here. And he might yet end up senior coach of MFC.

Based on the last few years TF that would nearly guarantee him the job.

How can the President who has said he is leaving soon be involved in all these important issues at the EFC?

It appears he is going to appoint the next coach etc and then sail off into the sunset and leave someone else holding the bag.

They Make Previous MFC management look good by comparison.

• Like 2

Wel basing upon nothing more than media reporting it seems Woosha may yet morph in a Bomber !! sts Looking like Worsfold may join Essendon

TFFT !!

Based on the last few years TF that would nearly guarantee him the job.

How can the President who has said he is leaving soon be involved in all these important issues at the EFC?

It appears he is going to appoint the next coach etc and then sail off into the sunset and leave someone else holding the bag.

They Make Previous MFC management look good by comparison.

Nothing can make that look good 'old dee' but they are presenting their own unique take on poor management practice.

• Like 1

I think McCartney for the next 2-3 years will be critically beneficial, especially if Roo's also has a place at the development table as well.

Will allow us to build a really strong foundation for prolonged success under Goodwin.

• Like 3

Worsfold firming for the Essendon job

The bombers must be going for a coach that actually knows what he's doing with supplements this time around.

They're learning.

• Like 9

I think McCartney for the next 2-3 years will be critically beneficial, especially if Roo's also has a place at the development table as well.

Will allow us to build a really strong foundation for prolonged success under Goodwin.

Would love Roosy to head up our academy and McCartney head development.

• Like 1

This story isn't going away:

BRENDAN McCartney remains in the mix to win Essendon’s vacant senior coaching job after a second round of interviews.

McCartney, West Coast premiership coach John Worsfold and Collingwood assistant Scott Burns are believed to the final three candidates, with the club expected to make a decision on James Hird’s replacement within a fortnight.
While Worsfold is widely seen as the raging favourite, it is understood McCartney impressed the coaching panel in his presentation on Saturday.
His strong relationships with the Essendon players, whose passion for the game has been strained throughout the drugs scandal, is said to be a key plank in his application.
McCartney served Essendon as assistant coach in 2011 before winning the Bulldogs’ senior post.
He resigned from the kennel last year after the shock departure of ex-captain Ryan Griffen.
But Western Bulldogs’ veteran defender Dale Morris has backed McCartney to thrive in the top job at Tullamarine, saying his coaching had played a key role in the Dogs’ rapid rise this season.
“He was great for our group with his emphasis on development, teaching and contested ball,” Morris told the Herald Sun.
“He brought a passion for coaching that I think would benefit Essendon enormously.”
McCartney was one of the most sought-after assistant coaches in the game after serving as Mark Thompson’s right-hand man in Geelong’s 2007-11 triple-premiership reign.
He left the Dogs in tumultuous circumstances but the 54-year-old, who has maintained a low public profile since then in his role as Melbourne development coach, has told friends he has learned from the Bulldogs’ experience.

Dons have too much stupid hubris to go past Worsfold.

His prior success at Weagles will enable them to raise more money from their blindly loyal fans and buy the hovercraft from the Blues.

Its going cheap I hear.

• Like 2

I know it's part of the industry, but I'd be really disappointed in McCartney if he left only 8 months after starting, especially after Goodwin personally recommended him to come onboard in the hope he could help mentor him throughout the transition to senior coach.

Would love Roosy to head up our academy and McCartney head development.

great Idea AF

It is just so right that "the Chemist" will be Head Coach at Essendrug....

Probably got him across the line...

Yeah its a bit ironic he goes from one drug club to another.

well he's a mobile type, he's been around, & knows the coach caper. i think his mobility & preparedness to travel to get the job does it.

& he'll probably get a new vehicle as well.

pharmacy--the-rheumatic-cure-wagon-mike-

• Like 1