• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

FAREWELL JEREMY HOWE

What

If he walks - he walks. Howe can play, but for 650k we could get a more effective player.

Howe has an easy gig down back atm. Dunn and McDonald are the ones putting in the work.

MFC shouldn't be held over the barrel by a Capper clone.

If GWS wants to offer pick 6 or whatever it was )or an explosive young mid) - then we should think about it

• Like 1

Howe aside from his usual highlight reel moment, doesn't do a great deal to help the team. There are more important players for us down back, and when up forward he is very limited in his output. Under Paul Roos' mantra that everyone is tradeable, if a high-mid first rounder is put up for Howe, we'd be pretty silly not to consider it, given his hurt factor isn't that high currently (or throughout his career) and if he were to leave. His loss could be covered and managed easier than say the loss of our former FB.

Edited by Demon Disciple
  • Like 1

If GWS wants to offer pick 6 or whatever it was )or an explosive young mid) - then we should think about it

we should obviously watch how the season pans out Re Jeremy. If his game is developing into something to be taken seriously, then we may be silly not to keep him. I was really worried he was just another one way runner with a leap, just as he was a couple of season back.

but he did some very smart things in a few snippets I witnessed, so on the back of seeing these nice bits of work, I'll now ease of him & see how his season grows.

we may need other bait for the sharks were searching for.

• Like 1

Howe is definitely one we should keep, he is one out of so many who were drafted from 2007-2011 who has actually kept his position in the team, his best footy is still a few years away, we will need his experience in a few years time.

• Like 4

Howe is definitely one we should keep, he is one out of so many who were drafted from 2007-2011 who has actually kept his position in the team, his best footy is still a few years away, we will need his experience in a few years time.

Agree, the Carlton people thought Eddie wanted too much and now are regretting they didn't pay the cash.

On another note apparently PJ is not happy about how this has played out in the press. If Howe does go we will be wanting a super trade as he is not a free agent.

• Like 5

Who the hell does this bloke think he is. An 80 game career with the flashes of hangers and he feels the need to put contract talks till the end of the year just to see where the club is going and a possible chance of finals in the future?? What an absolute [censored] cop out.

Messege to you Jeremy Howe. Take a leaf out of Nathan Jones career who has stuck by this club through the darkest and most lowest time of its history. He didn't need to wait for future plans or etc. Also take a good hard look at your teamates in Salem Hogan JKH Brayshaw Viney who have all signed contract extensions because they know where this club is going and have the up most faith in PJ and Roosy.

Pull ya finger out of your ass Jeremy or go join your best mate Frawley at the Hawks

Just like he is sounding out his worth I assume we are too. I am more than happy if this is later in the year so we can see how consistent his output is and whether this is back or forward or other.

• Like 1

Agree.

He should be played forward. He is a natural forward with a great pair of hands.

If we keep improving I think he will stay, on an increased pay, but not the ridiculous figures being thrown about by his management.

• Like 2

Agree.

He should be played forward. He is a natural forward with a great pair of hands.

If we keep improving I think he will stay, on an increased pay, but not the ridiculous figures being thrown about by his management.

On previous evidence I am unsure if he is a natural forward. He is an elite mark but he previously did not work hard enough defensively nor have the running patterns or multiple leads that you need as a third forward. Just like others though this can be developed. I will be amazed if other clubs are throwing that money at him.

• Like 1

Agree.

How can he be a "natural forward" when he's played his best footy in defence and is a poor kick for goal?

• Like 1

as long as his game continues to develop, he moved thru traffic with composure last night in a couple of plays delivering well... so it appears to me he's learning, & his game may not be one-dimensional anymore

if this is right, he still may be a valuable team member & a wanted player.

On previous evidence I am unsure if he is a natural forward. He is an elite mark but he previously did not work hard enough defensively nor have the running patterns or multiple leads that you need as a third forward. Just like others though this can be developed. I will be amazed if other clubs are throwing that money at him.

exactly b_r_f_e, & IMO this is why he's in the backhalf, to learn workrate, responsibility, & to learn the game tactically. I think he's started to cotton on.

We clearly need to save about $10mil in the cap for when Hogan comes out of contract next.

I'm not even kidding, he'll be worth $1mil a year easily, and we'll want to sign him up for 10 years. Surely.

We'll give him around the same deal Cameron got from the Giants.

Edited by Moneider96

"“One hundred per cent I want to be here,” Howe told the Sunday Herald Sun.

“That’s the situation my manager and that will work out, but my first priority is, of course, I want to stay.

“The way the article came out it does look a little bit sh--, but from my point of view it’s not."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/jeremy-howe-says-he-wants-to-sign-new-contract-to-stay-at-melbourne/story-fni5f91a-1227320576786

This weekend just gets better and better

Edited by Dee man
  • Like 11

Also, Howe is a much better shot at goal than people give him credit.

He was pretty awful back in 2012 (19.25) but was pretty reliable in 2013 (28.16), his most recent season in attack.

I personally would love to see him back in the forward line, but I guess the coaches are hoping Watts will eventually become the reliable third tall option.

• Like 2

Im interested in why people say he should play forward.

IMO he is na much better defender than he is a forward. Although maybe his time spent as a defender will have taught him a lot and he will be an even better forward if he goes back there.

As with all things though - in Roos we trust.

When Howe flubs a kick in the forward line, we score a point. When Howe flubs a kick in the backline, we get a goal scored against us.

When Howe flubs a kick in the forward line, we score a point. When Howe flubs a kick in the backline, we get a goal scored against us.

So he either costs us 5 points or 6.... Guess he should work on his kicking then rather than just be moved forward hey?

• Like 1

IMO Howe is a backman, not a forward, but there's no harm in having players who are capable of being moved to either end of the ground. Recent premiership teams have had those kinds of swingmen, and it adds versatility to the side.

When he is rebounding off half-back, working hard to link up through the middle of the ground, and cutting off opposition inside 50s with his adept reading of the play and amazing hands (he really does have one of the best sets of hands in the competition), we are a better side for it.

I want him to stay.

When you look at our list, salary cap should not be a problem for player retention. How many players on the our list would be earning over $500k? Based on our top 26 players (Friday night's team plus Viney, Frost, Grimes, Trengove) the likes of Brayshaw, VDB, JKH, Kent, Newton, Michie, Frost, Viney, Salem and Jetta would be on relatively small money.

Outside of the top 26, the rest of our list is made up of developing players or those whose position on the list is questionable. Apart from maybe Trengove, no existing contract is preventing us from retaining or pursuing players.

I'd keep Howe rather than running the risk of him requesting a trade, and accepting something of lesser value (draft pick or an expendable player from another club). We were fortunate in the Clark deal that Lumumba wanted to come to us, otherwise Geelong could have played hardball, and we could have ended up with a 3rd round pick.

I know its a different era. But amongst the reasons I love Jamar, Jones, and Watts is the loyalty to the club they have shown. Others as well, committed such as Grimes Trenners. Jeremy Howe, should be wanting to see the good times with these players he has been through so many struggles with. If he doesn't then let him go. Its gonna be his loss in the long term. Stuff him and any other 'premiership window' hunting player that doesn't want to win for the Melbourne Footy Club. get rid of them. Actually what also would be good is to let his manager know how much of an oleaginous (great word this - means creatures that have slime - like snails, slugs and leaches) creature he really is by going public with Howes 'open to offers' stance. Pathetic management that lacks any trait of uniqueness whatsoever. What a [censored]!

Note to J Howe: sack the [censored] 'managing' you, get yourself into Pj's office and say "rightio Pete, $450,000 a year where do I sign mate" Pete will respond with "right here Jezza. Cheers mate. You can go and tatt yourself right up with that income now get the f@#% out of my office young champ as i have a lot of work to do. Go on...p**s off"

everyones a winner.

• Like 14