• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

FAREWELL JEREMY HOWE

What

Actually in case you hadn't noticed curry, it's a thread about contact negotiations with Jeremy Howe, not preseason injuries. Your boorish golden ticket rubbish has no one interested and to think otherwise is delusional. Tell us again how little we'll get in FA compo for Howe despite him not being one?! Bwahahahaha!

Actually you are wrong. I am interested in it because I think he is right.

• Like 1

No they don't. As a restricted free agent they make an offer and we can match it, or not. I guess if we match it he could still say he wanted out in which case I guess the club might trade. Though that doesn't seem logical. I'm not sure if he goes as a restricted free agent if we get a priority pick

what happened about the talk of removing compensation for FA player losses?

I haven't heard anything. is compensation still on? I hadn't realised Howe was in free agency.

Weve got some players coming through. He's (jh) hardly irreplaceable id have thought.

young players coming thru who have come thru a fresh attitude at the club, no more holy-wood boulevards, or divided locker rooms, or you do the dirty work, I'm too good for that.

players who will play for one another to Win. play for the club & love the jumper.

• Like 1

Even tho Howe is not an FA/UFA that doesn't mean we get to trade him: Unfortunately, as an uncontracted player he could

- do a Luke Ball and refuse to talk to anyone but his preferred club... We get zip

- allow himself to go into the pre-season draft/rookie draft or whatever it is, if he wants to go to the bottom team with the #1 pick...We get zip

- allow himself to become a 'delisted' FA where he can choose his club ala Newton did with Port/Dees...altho to Port's credit they allowed him to...We get zip

- be a stubborn B.....d and do a Boyd, Beam etc and force our hand.

If he wants to go, one way or another he will get to the club he wants. We need to play this chess game carefully if we want to get something for him!

• Like 1

I don't get it........A d***k head jorno states that a player is asking $650,000 a year

How the hell would he know......Last time I looked no one besides the player, his manager and the club would know what ANY player is getting.

They all GUESS.......No one knows what Garry Ablett is getting ( they just know that it is a lot).....They all just pick a sum out of their arses and state it as fact.

P/M leak in contract year, advertising & trying to put pressure on this club to come good with the lucre

Even tho Howe is not an FA/UFA that doesn't mean we get to trade him: Unfortunately, as an uncontracted player he could

- do a Luke Ball and refuse to talk to anyone but his preferred club... We get zip

- allow himself to go into the pre-season draft/rookie draft or whatever it is, if he wants to go to the bottom team with the #1 pick...We get zip

- allow himself to become a 'delisted' FA where he can choose his club ala Newton did with Port/Dees...altho to Port's credit they allowed him to...We get zip

- be a stubborn B.....d and do a Boyd, Beam etc and force our hand.

If he wants to go, one way or another he will get to the club he wants. We need to play this chess game carefully if we want to get something for him!

This is right (although the 'delisted free agent' option is only allowed if the club agrees).

I don't get it........A d***k head jorno states that a player is asking $650,000 a year

How the hell would he know......Last time I looked no one besides the player, his manager and the club would know what ANY player is getting.

They all GUESS.......No one knows what Garry Ablett is getting ( they just know that it is a lot).....They all just pick a sum out of their arses and state it as fact.

i wouldn't put it past a player manager to drop a figure like 650k, to a journo, as to what he thinks he's worth

manager flying a kite, journo then embellishing it

nothing new here

For $650,000 a year any other club is free to have him, I like him but he isn't worth that price.

He's a one trick pony and I would rather see that money put towards a midfielder that will spend more time seeing the ball go forward rather than Howe taking the odd mark going backwards into defence.

Hell, if he's blowing that much smoke use him as trade bait to help acquire a Treloar, Shiel, Sloane, or Mitchell.

Then if there's any remaining cash (e.g. from Mitchell say) use it towards a FA like Stevens, Dangerfield (unlikely), S.Selwood (cheapper due to ankle), and / or Leuenberger.

Edited by ignition.

Or another Petracca, Brayshaw or Salem... Move on dude, new recruiting team in place

Don't forget Tyson and Hogan

I would have made a similar comment to Kali prior to the Roos era but it certainly looks like we are a different club in this area than we used to be

Hogan and Brayshaw, you couldn't ask for more from their first 3 games, which is giving me renewed faith in our ability to draft and develop

Which is absolutely awesome

Long story short, if Howe goes i'll be cool with it, we have totally nailed our drafting and trading the last 2 years and you can see the result of it when you look at our teamsheet

Spot on. The money is not an issue. He's 24 and yet to reach his prime. Unless we trade him for a midfielder who we'd consider to be in the top dozen players at Melbourne, I'd rather keep him.

I'm sick of our constant rebuilding, so a low 1st round pick is of no interest, and based on our trading strategy under Roos, I'm confident the club will feel the same.

Unless of course we got a high draft pick for Howe and then package it in some way to get a big fish from somebody else - like we tried to do with Trengove last year, there is no what we wanted pick 12 (or whatever it was) to actually use in the draft, it was for Dangerfield or Kennedy as was speculated, I believe it. I reckon roos will have another crack at a similar move this year, and if Howe becomes a pawn in that game I am all for it

For me there is one quote in that article that is telling

“We are completely open-minded and are following a process where we have a neutral view (on his future) and the door is open,’’ he said.

He has one foot out the door, but that's footy. He still has a big role to play in 2015.

For $650,000 a year any other club is free to have him, I like him but he isn't worth that price.

He's a one trick pony and I would rather see that money put towards a midfielder that will spend more time seeing the ball go forward rather than Howe taking the odd mark going backwards into defence.

Hell, if he's blowing that much smoke use him as trade bait to help acquire a Treloar, Shiel, Sloane, or Mitchell.

Then if there's any remaining cash (e.g. from Mitchell say) use it towards a FA like Stevens, Dangerfield (unlikely), S.Selwood (cheapper due to ankle), and / or Leuenberger.

One trick Pony.....What crap

5th in kicks

1st in short kicks

2nd in marks taken

1st in contested marks taken

2nd in rebound 50's

Some people get so carried away with this draft pick/ trade thing that they can't see a good player that is in their midst.

• Like 7

5th in kicks

1st in short kicks

2nd in marks taken

2nd in rebound 50's

Some people get so carried away with this draft pick/ trade thing that they can't see a good player that is in their midst.

I agree bossdog.

Here is another question.

At that price Him or Dawes?

I hope Howe does take stock of where he's at and where the clubs at. We've essentially built from the bottom up since he's been here and plucked him from relative obscurity (can someone confirm whether or not there was interest from other clubs when we got him?) and he's now become a much loved player of the fans.

That said what does his actual output command, and if he's really looking for the money then what are we prepared to give him? We overpaid a lot of players for a good while during times in which we were utter crap, I'd rather us go for a star player then top up a player over his worth.

Stick with us Jeremy, we're on the way up and everything that we've been through with you will just make it that much more sweeter.

• Like 5

This is right (although the 'delisted free agent' option is only allowed if the club agrees).

Technically, yes, a club has to agree to delist the player for him to become a D-FA. However, consider Newton:

Newton and Port knew we wanted him.

Port would have liked to trade him to help him get to the Dees.

We chose not to do a trade

Port wanted him and offered him a contract.

Newton chose not to sign.

Port had little choice but to delist him.

We get a 22ish age very good player for zip.

Port lose a 22ish age very good player for zip

BTW I'm not critical of Newton as he moved to play more games rather than be a depth player. Howe, if he goes will go for coin or glory. So for mine, morally he isn't in the same category as Newton.

He's not a free agent so I'm not worriedWe just have to get really clever at how we play this FA cat and mouse game.

If he wants to leave we'll play hardball and get something decent for him.

It doesn't work like that anymore. If he doesn't have a contract he will become a Delisted FA in a similar way to Newton (see previous post).

More and more clubs will line up OOC players and wait till they get delisted (which has to happen if player doesn't have a contract) and they get their player for zip.

The D-FA, UFA and FA system, could well spell the end of player trades for players in demand! The AFLPA/AFL have opened Pandora's box! We just have be really clever at how we play this FA poker game.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero

I won't be happy if we throw that much at Howe. We have to stop overpaying B-graders and use the money to get genuine quality A-grade players (or keep them).

As for him wanting to leave, I have absolutely no respect for people who want finals gifted to them. Players who jump ship to go to a top side rather than work to get the team they're in to the top are weak as p!ss. Of course, if a player does have that attitude then I really don't want them anyway. At least leaving for more money is a more or less honest move, especially since the clubs willing and able to pay significantly more are generally not top sides so there is still work to do.

In all, I'd be happier if he were to turn his back on bigger contracts, sign for what he's worth with us and give a press conference declaring that he's up for the fight and determined to be there when the Dees get to the top rather than have it gifted to him by jumping ship to the Cats or Hawks (and he can make that line as pointed as he likes).

• Like 2

5th in kicks

1st in short kicks

2nd in marks taken

2nd in rebound 50's

I didn't see much of the game as I'm moving house, but saw glimpses a couple of Howes plays in tight situations. I thought he did some very good things with the ball thru traffic. I liked what I sore in his game, but only based on just a couple of possessions.

its encouraging to see his footy i think changing. to becoming more involved in smart plays with the ball.

maybe he is a keeper?