Post Match Discussion - Round 18

Demonland

Another negative: again easy to bag Grimes (but yes woeful kick) but it didn't cost a goal. As opposed to Howes kick out that did cost us a goal - coming after an unbelievable decision of in the back against Viney to Trenogove who missed a sitter - we dodged a bullet and Howe shot us in the foot!

• Like 1

Fair enough but I still think they deserve a 4-week block to see if they can make it at AFL level. I thought Blease was OK today but haven't checked the stats, and Tapscott never gets much of it (which is a concern) but what he does do is good. Jetta had an ordinary first game back against Sydney earlier in the year, and most thought his papers would be stamped, but Roos gave him a nice block to show his worth and we all know what has happened since then. I hope the same treatment is given to Blease and Tapscott.

Last part is the key for me. Others have been given blocks of games to show their worth, both Blease and Tappy deserve the same.

I haven't seen 1 second of the game so will look forward to highlights on the news tonight. But I listened to it on the radio and from the bits I heard was

Watts had a great 3rd quarter and that free kick on 3/4 time wasnt there according to the radio

Jones played on and took the advantage after a holding the ball decision and they questioned why we took the advantage and not choose to go back and take time off the clock.

After schultz kicked that goal I turned it off.

Did we miss any easy goals today?

Also what obvious errors did the umps make today?

Edited by dees189227

I think you're being somewhat generous.

What aspect of it made it a "high degree of difficulty?"

He was under pressure, had to avoid a man coming at him and sneak it around the boundary by kicking across his body to an extent. It wasn't a hugely difficult kick for an AFL player especially a half back flanker who's meant to be in one of the spots that skilled players play but it wasn't an easy kick either.

The thing is that Roos always talks about playing your role. But particularly half back flankers will need to make attacking kicks as part of their roles. Grimes as a half back flanker isn't able to fulfil the kicking needs. Then again Dawes can't take big grabs or kick goals and he plays CHF.

Another negative: again easy to bag Grimes (but yes woeful kick) but it didn't cost a goal. As opposed to Howes kick out that did cost us a goal - coming after an unbelievable decision of in the back against Viney to Trenogove who missed a sitter - we dodged a bullet and Howe shot us in the foot!

I repeat it's not an isolated incident he does it far too often and never seems to learn and he is the Captain and the expectations are rightfully higher.

• Like 2

A decent side would've thrashed Port today. They were awful. Unfortunately the stupid decisions continue to cost us especially in the attacking half. We should've won this game, plain and simple.

Two main team positives were the tackling (which was as good as we've seen this season) and the quick hands to get ourselves out of trouble.

One major individual positive was Garland's game. It's taken a while but he just might be getting back into form.

Jetta has been a revelation, nothing short of it.

Tyson has the makings of our next genuine star.

JKH makes us a better side with his willingness to move the ball on quickly.

Watts had a game of two halves. He and Howe are the conundrum. What is their best position? Watts behind the ball changed the complexion of the game.

Blease and Tappy worked themselves into it and should see out the season. Personally I think they are worth persisting with. Blease more than Tappy.

Grimes is going to be the death of me.

Edited by P-man
  • Like 6

I haven't seen 1 second of the game so will look forward to highlights on the news tonight. But I listened to it on the radio and from the bits I heard was

Watts had a great 3rd quarter and that free kick on 3/4 time wasnt there according to the radio

Jones played on and took the advantage after a holding the ball decision and they questioned why we took the advantage and not choose to go back and take time off the clock.

After schultz kicked that goal I turned it off.

Did we miss any easy goals today?

Also what obvious errors did the umps make today?

McKenzie and Riley both hit the post from 30 out small angle and 20 out 50degrees in the first term. Frawley from outside 50 but straight got nowhere near it and from 40 out 45 degrees put it out on the full. Kent missed a snap from 10 out bit of angle after a poor kick in to the forward line that should've found a loose man but instead found contests.

The umps were read hot on us for a couple of holding the balls when not making an attempt despite the ball never coming out or for diving on the footy when we probably didn't. But for both teams they mainly let incorrect disposals and prior opportunity stretch forever.

After that is was just the inside 50 shots for goal. Viney defended Westhoff fairly and was paid a free 20m out directly in front. Westhoff missed but Howe turned over the kick out. Without the free we were clearing the ball and there was space everywhere. The other one was the Wingard free right on the siren. Poor defense from a stoppage with 12 seconds or so to go hacked kick forward, Watts comes across with the flight of the ball in front of Wingard and spoils the ball clearly but contacts Wingard on the follow through of his spoil. Not body contact just punching arm in to Wingard's head. I don't know the rule, but I would've thought if you've spoiled the ball then you should get some leniency with your follow through. Much like in soccer if a defender wins the ball then any contact coming the other way isn't a foul.

• Like 3

I restrained myself from posting on here immediately after the game, as I would have said something stupid such was my anger.

However, there were lots of positives today.

- When Tyson can do what he did today, consistently, he'll be one of the premier midfielders of the competition.

- Dawes was ineffective and has been for some time. You can put a lot of it down to poor delivery but I still rate him as an average player only, with exceptional aggression.

- Our pressure in stages was fantastic, we just need to do it for longer.

We lost this game ourselves today, in particular in the last few minutes. Grimes, Dawes' rubbish kick inside 50 straight to two Port players in our last forward drive and a bit earlier, Jones' decision to play on to advantage while surrounded by 3 Port players (he was subsequently tackled and the ball turned over), all bloody frustrated the hell out of me.

Port are still a top side and we've improved drastically this year but it just hasn't converted into wins. 4 wins is still pathetic and nowhere near good enough.

Any Demons supporter except his apologists were fearful when Jack Grimes got the ball on the half back flank 3 points up 2 minutes to go.

Says it all.

And I don't mean to play the broken record but jeez, we were absolutely bent over by the umpires today, particularly in that last quarter. The amount of times a Port player was paid a free for some sort of indiscretion and then we were denied a free for the same thing moments later was laughable.

• Like 4

It wasn't a hugely difficult kick for an AFL player especially a half back flanker who's meant to be in one of the spots that skilled players play but it wasn't an easy kick either.

So in summary, not 'hugely difficult', 'not easy'.. Sounds to me like a regulation AFL kick.

The real worry with Grimes' disposal was not the shocker at the end of the game - it's the ones he screws up when he's got a mark or free kick and is under no pressure whatsoever.

Happened in the first quarter today, back pocket, kicked it across goal to the other pocket but it fell short, the resultant kick was under pressure and we lost possession.

Same thing at the start of the Freo game in Darwin, the first clanger of the day, Grimes takes a mark at half back, handpasses to a stationary Howe who was then tackled.

I bet you his confidence is at rock bottom because there are a handful of occasions each week where he must be saying to himself: "Oh sh*t, what have I just done?"

Edit: With Grimes, it's a combination of execution and decision-making.

Chris Dawes has to be a concern. The delivery was reasonable today and we had enough of the footy. He either comes and brings enormous presence or days like today comes and is appalling. Very frustrating.

Chris Dawes has to be a concern. The delivery was reasonable today and we had enough of the footy. He either comes and brings enormous presence or days like today comes and is appalling. Very frustrating.

Can't take a mark overhead.

I hear that's kinda crucial for a key forward

Grimes pass to a player under the gun #5673

Let me know when he does his usual out on the full...

''I'm not saying let's go kill all the stupid people … I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out."

Hey I just got back after being out all afternoon. Did Grimes get his usual quota of OOF's

Edited by jnrmac

He (Grimes) could've put it 5 metres to the front, other side or over the back of Tyson and he would've marked it. That is a massive target that our captain missed by 1cm.

You're giving him a pass for an absolutely shocking and costly basic skill error.

What's worse is we would've had overlap run, and from memory commentators mentioned men on down the field.

It was a coach, teammate and supporter killer.

Agree, this is why we need to take a punt on Malceski, to give us a couple of years to develop our own with the requisite skills and football nouse.

• Like 4

Agree, this is why we need to take a punt on Malceski, to give us a couple of years to develop our own with the requisite skills and football nouse.

You have my vote.

How could he possibly make us worse?

he will be much better off when hogan comes into the side

I know frawley is playing down there atm, but I'm not sure opposition fear his forward line ability as much as they would hogan

• Like 1