Changes for Round 9 vs Tigers

What

Surely Blease needs to string more than one good game together to be considered? Pig Dog & Jordie Mac have been solid for weeks & should be in the conversation. Jimmy Toumpas is the one we really want banging the door down, unfortunately that's not happening.

Edited by Matt Demon

Can't agree with that ur anus! Georgiou is a good solid goer but Dunn has him covered on every count. Better mark, better kick, more experienced and has a real physical presence.

Dunn is a better mark and kick, indeed.

Georgiou is a better defender, and much better at playing the second tall.

I doubt that there will be any unforced changes this week. Changes will cover injuries only. Evidently Frawley may struggle to get up this week! If we get beaten easily by the Tigers or Port expect changes. While the team is going ok Roos will want to reward the behaviours he values such as defensive pressure etc so changes will be minimal. He is a realist. He knows we will cop a few knocks along the way - then changes will be made.

• Like 1

I think Roos does care.

I think that's the point.

You serious? You actually think Roos thinks we should put 22 players on the field? Nonsense!

I think Roos does care.

I think that's the point.

Up until now I've understood the logic of playing Byrnes with his experience and fitness and getting the 'benefit' of keeping guys who need time in the 2's exactly there.

But Byrnes' fumbling and generally ineffectiveness has been wearing me down. His inability to keep his feet and constant falling on the ground at contests has broken me.

I get not gifting games to Blease or Toumpas. I get that Tapscott and Riley lack match fitness. I get McKenzie and Evans need to lift their skills. I get that Salem needs a preseason. I get that Michie has been injured. I get that Kent has been suspended and injured. But I'm simply finished with Byrnes.

Just work out if he wasn't on the list who would you play and then pick that person instead. Because god help me if he'll be on the list next year.

Edited by the master
  • Like 2

Not sure who will go in as from todays articles some players are hanging out for the bye. Imbalance in the draw has the Tiges fresh after a 2 week break and us with Terlich concussed, Frawley with Toe problems and groin & hamstring tightness. Roos also hinted after 3 goes as sunb that Salem may go back to VFL for a full game. If so cannot see Byrne being demoted. So a half back well Clisby was close, a key forward maybe Fitz and another running player take your pick

...but I think from a memory (not so good at the mo) that teams coming off the break struggled last year so may not be an issue.

Clisby, Georgiou and Gawn are the only ones ready for a recall, going from the Casey reviews. Sounds like McKenzie needs to work on being more damaging offensively, which is pretty obvious because he can't kick the football, and Kent will probably get a week in the VFL before a recall.

I'm guessing this'll see Byrnes get another week until Kent's ready to take over his role. Bringing in Clisby and moving Dunn forward would see us having a very tall, slow forward line.

Possible replacements for injuries:

Frawley - Georgiou, move Dunn forward

Terlich - Clisby

I reckon Gawn's ready to take on first ruck if required, but don't think he could provide the forward pressure we want as a permanent forward.

Salem's the wildcard after 3 games as sub. Roos mentioned in his interview that players probably need a run back at VFL to get up match fitness again after a few games as sub, so he could be another out, but hopefully he's given a full game and we can limit Byrnes to the one quarter.

• Like 1

Weekends VFL report suggests that jordie and blease were most prolific, with riley and michie working hard.
Doesn't mention clisby or kent.
I guess we will see in player review but if its similar to the article then i don't think clisby or kent will come in for byrnes or terlich.

If terlich is no good, georgiou could come back as replacement.

If he's not, michie could be brought in as a forward and peterson could play defence.

although michie could be underdone. I would be hesitant to bring in riley as a replacement for a forward or back as i think he is an in and under ball winner. However it could work juggling a few players around.

I don't think salems ready for a full game, he's only really been good in stints as a sub. Maybe in a week or two he plays a full game. I could be wrong.

Weekends VFL report suggests that jordie and blease were most prolific, with riley and michie working hard.

I guess we will see in player review but if its similar to the article then i don't think clisby or kent will come in for byrnes or terlich.

If he's not, michie could be brought in as a forward and peterson could play defence.

although michie could be underdone. I would be hesitant to bring in riley as a replacement for a forward or back as i think he is an in and under ball winner. However it could work juggling a few players around.

I don't think salems ready for a full game, he's only really been good in stints as a sub. Maybe in a week or two he plays a full game. I could be wrong.

Kent out suspended so pretty hard to get a kick. I'm sure he will be pushing for selection again pretty soon though.

• Like 1

The VFL reports just give the players with the best stats. We'll have a better idea who played their role after seeing the player reviews.

Bail has the endurance to be a goalsquare to goalsquare mid which Roos would put significant value on. He does have weaknesses to his game ie his decision making and execution going inside 50. But for Roos the goalsquare to goalsquare running is essential for a mid. Bail can do it.

out: Byrnes, Bail, Terlich

ins: Blease, Riley, Clisby

Byrnes does not do enough to deserve a game. Bail plays in patches and misses too many tackles and disposal is 50/50. Even before his concussion, Terlich had some clangers & fumbled.

reckon Bail's doing enough to stay in, also Terlich but he might be given a week's rest

Kent out suspended so pretty hard to get a kick. I'm sure he will be pushing for selection again pretty soon though.

i thought this was the case, but dismissed it due to his name being mentioned for next week. Thanks for clarifying that.

"Of the Demon-listed players, Blease and McKenzie were the most prolific with 32 and 30 touches respectively. Both players worked hard in then conditions and did their chances of senior selection no harm.

Tapscott worked his way into the game well, scoring two important goals, while using his strength around the ground. Michie and Aiden Riley both worked hard around the ground and under packs.

Dom Barry played an important running role across the wing, and Jimmy Toumpas worked his way into the match during the last term, with his defensive pressure impressive."

Blease in . byrnes out . Give Sammy a defensive foward role and hit them on the slingshot .

Edited by CityDee

And Clisby was on standby for the MFC game. Went as far as warming up with the team.

I predict more changes. Yes, you have to reward good form/effort, but tigers will be fresh, coming off a week break. Salem has had quarters of footy, and might now have to go to Casey to play a full game. Byrnes might not hold his spot due to form, and will no way match the run & intensity of Morris.

Out: Salem (rest), Byrnes (Omit), +/- injuries (Terlich Frawley)

Ins: Talk to those who watch Casey. Kent? Tappy? Blease? Adelaide boys

Chip and Terlich are almost definitely outs based on injury and concussion. I'd say Georgiou will be back in after his rest, and maybe Riley as the sub? Salem to start.

not sure whether to start salem,or look after him until after the bye and then give him the full game.

just seems the right time to play him from the start,PR will have figured on the bye in salems progress.

well tommy has taken on everyone except hitler,stalin so he might as well be given riewoldt

I'm still not sure about the Frawley experiment up forward. Our backs were only ok at the weekend, and we did get found out a couple of times by their tall forwards. This will be even more so against the Tigers.

The last real "swing man" we had was Neitz and particularly early in his career used to alternate even in games. It seemed to work well.i see no reason that this could not work with Chip, particularly given his record against Reiwolt. I have my doubts about whether Frawley is a good enough shot for goal to be a permanent forward.

This week I think I would put him back to fullback for Terlich and have Garland play on the third tall. I would bring Gawn in up forward and second ruck (there were time both this week and last when Frawley was doing the ruck work - doesn't make sense to me). Max is a big powerful presence up forward and I still think outside Dawes, who is doing a sterling job, we lack power down there. Max is also an excellent pack mark - base him in the goal square and tell him to out muscle his opponent - he will out reach anyone in the competition anyway. The othe change is Byrnes for Riley. We need some more run from our half forwards up the ground and Riley would give it to us. The other change, Salem into the 21 for Matt Jones. I don't think he deserves to be dropped but I think this would make a point to him and others that the sort of clangers he exhibited Saturday will not be tolerated in the longer term. Emergencies: Bleese, Evans, Clisby.

I think we might knock off the tigers at the weekend with this side......

Edited by Dees2014
  • Like 3

With the bye after the Richmond game, I wouldn't be surprised to see Frawley miss this week to allow his toe and hamstring a three week recovery period. Terlich should probably be rested (I'm in favour of every concussed player having, in effect, a mandatory one week break. Because of the bye, his would be a two week break, but so be it).

I'm sorely tempted to play Gawn in Frawley's place which also allows the luxury of moving Pedersen to the backline if needed.

Terlich's role should be played by Grimes. I think our backline missed his generalship while he played his tagging role on Griffin (who I thought was quiet - but both the Age and the Herald Sun gave him votes, so what do I know?)

Salem should play a full game somewhere. If he's got enough in the tank, it should be seniors - if not, Casey. I'd keep him in.

So, two or three changes for mine: If it's two, Frawley and Terlich to be replaced with Gawn and either Clisby or Riley. If Salem is rested, the other of Clisby or Riley to come in.

Yep Paul Roos is very much about team stability, which I don't mind.

He rarely makes changes unless a player is injured, or a significantly better player has become available (e.g.- Garland).

Personally I think that one of Riley, Kent, Blease, Toumpas or Strauss should replace Byrnes (I wonder how Strauss would go as a small forward?), only because they have worked hard in the VFL and Byrnes isn't really contributing much to the stat sheet or the score board.

But no change won't surprise me either.

Edited by Jaded

McKenzie, just like Magner, Couch and Valenti before him, will always standout at VFL level because their hardness and ball winning ability at that level is high enough to make them standout.

AFL is another game, requiring a hell of a lot more than what McKenzie offers the side. People continue to see the number he gets at VFL level and suggest that he comes in...

Roos and co wouldn't care less about his numbers. It's about what else he has to offer? And it's not much. Unless a miracle happens and McKenzie suddenly becomes damaging with his disposal, can kick goals, provide an option, mark the ball and make the right decision with ball in hand, he won't be going anywhere. Tyson, Jones, Viney and Cross all offer more as players as contested ball winners.

Unless we get injuries or McKenzie develops some other attributes that will contribute to our team, he'll be playing VFL for the rest of the year.

I understood the arguments about playing him when there were literally no other options. But now we have options and upgrades. So why are people calling for him to come in? And for who?

Edited by stevethemanjordan
  • Like 3