Jump to content

  • Latest Podcast: Round 09 vs Carlton



davejemmolly

The Curnow Brothers at the Tribunal

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, willmoy said:

The AFL are so compromised. These two imbeciles didn't just touch the Umpires (sacrosanct, dominus vobiscum), they pushed the Umpires. Phil Carmen would be saying , join the club you blokes.

Just on a side issue Cripps indicated in "On The Couch" by his answer to a direct question, on last year's game, from Lyon, i think , about whether or not Hogan *Lewis broke his jaw,  said that there was slight break in his jaw last year. The question still remains, when.........

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Mazer Rackham said:

Stephen May must be in contention for the Brownlow. Can't see how else he gets off.

Very soft head butt, but very clearly premeditated.  No way it could be called accidental.

FMD the Tribunal / MRP is totally random.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If  you can look  at  the video  of the  Hawkins  push.  Two  funny  points  are  in  the  video,  forget  Hawkins  and  first  look  at  the  GWS  player  on  the  ground.  Nobody  is  paying  him  ANY  attention  not  even  his  team  mates.  One  even  steps  over  him  to  get  at  Hawkins.

Second  look  at  the  Geelong  player  running  behind  the  umpire,  he  stretches  his  right  arm  across  his  body  and  pushes  the  umpire.  A  very  funny  action.  All  the  attention  on  Hawkins  and  forget  everybody  else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, DubDee said:

Footy is becoming a joke if these two get suspended - along with the Hawkins one. No malice or aggression in either one. 

You don’t gain respect by ruling with an iron fist. Look at rugby and soccer where the players have a lot more respect for umpires. They can touch a guy on the arm, no big deal. 

Afl treating the players like school kids as usual

Malice is not an issue.  You can’t intentionally touch an umpire, regardless of the force. 

As stated this feeds down to lower levels and even a slight intentional  touch should be punished.    

Greg Williams got 9 weeks for pushing an umpire. 

In the lower levels, kids are umpired by kids and therefore a strong message needs to be upheld.  

Edited by Demons11
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, DubDee said:

Look at rugby and soccer where the players have a lot more respect for umpires. They can touch a guy on the arm, no big deal.

Totally agree DD, i still dont get why common sense cannot apply with these incidents.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Demons11 said:

Malice is not an issue.  You can’t intentionally touch an umpire, regardless of the force. 

As stated this feeds down to lower levels and even a slight intentional  touch should be punished.    

Greg Williams got 9 weeks for pushing an umpire. 

In the lower levels, kids are umpired by kids and therefore a strong message needs to be upheld.  

I get this argument but I just don’t agree. The respect for umpires in Afl is low from players and fans alike. Ordering them to not touch does not promote respect. 

JUst use some common sense rather than ‘you just can’t do it’. 

Making the umps professional, getting former players involved and promoting the important and difficult job umpires have is the best way to increase the respect level all the way to grass roots

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Both should be rubbed out for transgressions of a deliberate nature in attempting to man-handle an umpire. Are these two above the letter of the law (rules and interpretation)? The arrogance of the actions indicates their real intent and their relativity to the game. If the AFL do not wish Carlscum to lose the match against the MFC by an embarrassing scoreline, the AFL will let one or both of them off. This is not a test of the Curnows, this is a test of the AFL and its impartiality. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Charlie's problem is that Stevic is actually pushed back a couple of steps. That is not a touch.

If Hawkins got off they would too, but now they have to stop Chris Scott's head from exploding. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How can anyone say there is nothing in it with what Charlie did?

The bloke is half holding back the umpire and placing his hand on him trying to prevent him from getting to a wrestling contest likehe's a young kid trying to hold his mum back from getting to his brother to give him a smack ?? I reckon there is more in it than what Hawkins did.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DubDee said:

I get this argument but I just don’t agree. The respect for umpires in Afl is low from players and fans alike. Ordering them to not touch does not promote respect. 

JUst use some common sense rather than ‘you just can’t do it’. 

Making the umps professional, getting former players involved and promoting the important and difficult job umpires have is the best way to increase the respect level all the way to grass roots

Respect should be given to umpires, especially at the junior levels. They are necessary for games to occur and give up their time on weekends for this to happen. 

Regardless of where the umpire comes from, there will consistently be calls that people see differently and assume are wrong, and thus no respect. It’s a horrible trend to let players off even for just tapping on the chest or the arm of an umprie, because it sends the wrong message. At junior/senior non professional levels, an umpire can send a player off if feeling intimidated or contact is made, if the afl allow players to touch the umpire it creates a clear issue if an umprie decides to send a player off. 

Granted haven’t seen the issues but touch an umpire and one week seems to make the most sense. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are they banned yet ??

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Either they both get rest for a week, or the AFL's double standards are (again) on show for all to see.  Plain and simple! 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Redleg said:

Charlie's problem is that Stevic is actually pushed back a couple of steps. That is not a touch.

If Hawkins got off they would too, but now they have to stop Chris Scott's head from exploding. 

Lets be honest though, Stevic should be charged by Michael Christian for staging after that footage, a normal person would typically not get knocked back a couple of steps, especially given momentum had him moving towards the contest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Demons11 said:

Malice is not an issue.  You can’t intentionally touch an umpire, regardless of the force. 

As stated this feeds down to lower levels and even a slight intentional  touch should be punished.    

Greg Williams got 9 weeks for pushing an umpire. 

In the lower levels, kids are umpired by kids and therefore a strong message needs to be upheld.  

A few years ago Luke Hodge in an intentionally friendly way put his arm around an umpire. Did anything come of it at the time? I know that action was completely different to what Hawkins, and the Curnows have done but if Hodge wasn't suspended it may suggest there is room for players to touch umpires when there is no malice intended.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Ouch! said:

Lets be honest though, Stevic should be charged by Michael Christian for staging after that footage, a normal person would typically not get knocked back a couple of steps, especially given momentum had him moving towards the contest.

We'll wait and see how all of the decision-making turns out. I am sure that it will prove that Christian and the rest are not up to the job with which they are tasked.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This umpire touching thing has an air of the citizenship saga. Happens not infrequently without a fuss being made and suddenly one particular instance has drawn attention to numerous others.

That being the case, I think Ed is clearly gone given the more blatant nature of it, and Charlie should get a week based on the Hawkins precedent. May’s contact didn’t warrant a suspension.

Two handy outs. Charlie for obvious reasons and Ed because of the run with role he plays most weeks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Charged with touching, should have been charged with pushing. The wriggle room factor of, we need a day to get Carlton in and see what their doctor says about how sore their arms are and "a nice hot cup of tea"

Then we have the no "standard speed" picture of the incidents, they are all slow motion to show a gentle touch not push.......bah

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

A few years ago Luke Hodge in an intentionally friendly way put his arm around an umpire. Did anything come of it at the time? I know that action was completely different to what Hawkins, and the Curnows have done but if Hodge wasn't suspended it may suggest there is room for players to touch umpires when there is no malice intended.

They work these things on a strict points system.

Star player = 1 point
Good bloke = 1
Brownlow contention = 2
finals series = 3
fairy tale ending = 4

Hodge got 2 points, maybe 4. No wonder he got off!

Curnows ... maybe one point each at best? Not enough.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Charlie might successfully argue that he was attempting to protect the umpire from the melee.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Mazer Rackham said:

They work these things on a strict points system.

Star player = 1 point
Good bloke = 1
Brownlow contention = 2
finals series = 3
fairy tale ending = 4

Hodge got 2 points, maybe 4. No wonder he got off!

Curnows ... maybe one point each at best? Not enough.

 

Carlton 5....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

A few years ago Luke Hodge in an intentionally friendly way put his arm around an umpire. Did anything come of it at the time? I know that action was completely different to what Hawkins, and the Curnows have done but if Hodge wasn't suspended it may suggest there is room for players to touch umpires when there is no malice intended.

Completely different, these players pushed the umpire. 

It wasn’t friendly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, rjay said:

After the Hawkins incident I would give them both a week just for being dumb...surely they couldn't be that stupid, could they?

I think a knock on Curnow in his draft year was that he was thick as two bricks and prone to making stupid decisions.
Turns out that he's a much better player and athlete than anyone thought he'd be though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have conflicting emotions. If you dont draw a line for umpires  then it will get nasty.

Then again sometimes I think in the off season we should be allowed to hunt them.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Demonland said:

I think Charlie might successfully argue that he was attempting to protect the umpire from the melee.

I think posters may have thought I was pulling the [censored] when I suggested the same thing but this is what I think will happen. And he’ll be successful. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All the emotion in the media about carlton winning it's first game. There is no way charlie will get rubbed out because they think that it will detract from carltons ability to win.

  • Shocked 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Social Media



    • Recently Browsing   0 members

      No registered users viewing this page.

    ×