Trade Targets 2025

1 hour ago, DistrACTION Jackson said:

If Wright is looking for a fresh start and Bombers want him off their books I’m all for it. He’s contracted until 2027 so guessing we would take on the full salary but maybe only give a third round pick or something. Given we have Brown, Schache, Tomlinson and potentially TMac all off our list we need some mature key position players to replace them.

Often i think that if someone goes to a third club,  then there is something around their competitiveness on the ground, or culture off the ground, that is the issue... then I remind myself of Martin Pyke. :cool:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Roost it far said:

I think McVee is a HBF and calls for him to move to the midfield miss his value. 

I do want to see him get some mid time from now until the end of the season but I do agree to an extent.

McVee to the middle and JVR to the ruck for me are the same thing in that they might fill a need but rob us of a vital strength elsewhere. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Roost it far said:

I think McVee is a HBF and calls for him to move to the midfield miss his value. 

We're playing the MFC Harry Sheezel as a lockdown small defender. It's football terrorism.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

8 minutes ago, adonski said:

We're playing the MFC Harry Sheezel as a lockdown small defender. It's football terrorism.

He’s still to slight for mine, maybe with 2-3 more preseasons. We also need clean, sure hands and beautiful kicks off half back. With Salem sliding and Rivers likely staying in the middle who’s taking McVee’s spot?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Roost it far said:

He’s still to slight for mine, maybe with 2-3 more preseasons. We also need clean, sure hands and beautiful kicks off half back. With Salem sliding and Rivers likely staying in the middle who’s taking McVee’s spot?

It's the new age, Butters, Rose, Sheezel lots of more slight guys that ooze class and speed. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

So Darcy Cameron and Mason Cox who were Collingwoods main ruck/forward combination last year in their premiership year, are regarded as more athletic and quicker then Peter Wright?

Interesting. 

Grand final:

Cox 67% Cameron 59% (Mihocek 92%, Frampton 82%)

Prelim

Cox 71% Cameron 70% (McStay injured 66%, Mihocek 94%)

Qualifying final (when they had their best side available for the full game time)

Cox 67% Cameron 52% subbed (McStay, Mihocek both 88%)

Aside from 1% against the Giants (which was probably when McStay was down injured) they never played 4 talls on the ground at the same time. And when they did play a ruck in the forward line it was generally Cox filling in for Frampton in the grand final, covering McStay's injury in the prelim or briefly for McStay/Mihocek to have a breather.

We tried sitting Gawn/Grundy on the bench for longer periods or forward line and neither of them liked it. And I doubt that will ever change for Max, especially if the rotation is with Peter Wright who will have no desire to ruck for large parts of the game.

JVR should get there with time but I don't see him on the McStay level of athleticism just yet and definitely nowhere close to Mihocek who is just a freakish work horse who goes hard for 90% game time at CHF (or did for years until injury this year). Unless you're Nick Riewoldt that's a job for a 24/25+ year old not a kid who will still only be 22 next year.

If they really do think JVR is ready to play CHF then maybe a Peter Wright level lump at FF/Ruck would work, but there's still a matter of the other tall forward needing some agility and ground game (much like the way Jamarra fits in between Naughton and Darcy) and I'm not convinced that will be Jeffo or anyone else on the list any time soon.

I'd go hard for a genuine answer like Waterman and leave JVR as the back up ruck for the next couple of years or just keep experimenting with mobile ruck/forwards and try to find a Chol rather than a Fullarton. Wright would be a distant 3rd choice if there's nothing else available and the price is very right.

Edited by DeeSpencer
  • Like 3
  • Thinking 1

25 minutes ago, DistrACTION Jackson said:

I think we need to find a genuine lockdown defender for the smalls to release McVee. Playing half back and some mid time is fine for him and that's what Sheezel and Daicos do.

Agree. Let Judd learn to walk before we expect him to run, he's got to master half back before this idea that he's suddenly a gun mid anywhere near the level of 2 of the best players to come through the under age system in years.

Dyl Williams did a fantastic job for Port last year then lost his spot this year, he'd be one I'd watch as a potential back pocket. Plus look to the state leagues and bring a bunch of guys in over summer to see if they can earn a spot.

• Like 2

Waterman just signed on with West Coast, thankfully one less club to deal with.

Edited by Jibroni
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

Poor Kossie and Nibbler trying to chase 6 blokes.

Wright is slow. JVR is....not quick. 

Any forward or forward/ruck that we bring in should have some athleticism especially if the plan is for some combination of Melk/Jeffo/Petty/Disco as the 3rd tall option.

I also don't understand the concern with JVR as back up ruck and/or the belief that he's ready to explode. He shows some flashes and he'll be a good player for a long time but I still expect him to just improve steadily and the runs in the ruck get him involved in the game.

Yeah, don't agree.

And JVR is a really good second ruck, but I prefer him focusing on marking and kicking goals.

He fatigues way earlier as a forward because of his ruck work. He gets to contests and he's so stuffed he can barely get his hands up to mark.

Take it off his shoulders and he'll kick 35-40 goals as a KPF. 

• Like 2
  • Clap 1

2 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

If Freo go after Bolton, I would certainly go sniffing around A Brayshaw.

He can come finish what his brother started... 

We have spoken to his manager about this for 2026 and I'm certain there is a level of mild interest in him playing for Melbourne but he's said that he's very very happy at Freo. His Victorian partner and he have a place in East Freo. She's happy too. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 8
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, Dannyz said:

We have spoken to his manager about this for 2026 and I'm certain there is a level of mild interest in him playing for Melbourne but he's said that he's very very happy at Freo. His Victorian partner and he have a place in East Freo. She's happy too. 

Hopefully they bomb out of finals and he reconsiders his level of happiness 😁

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

Hopefully they bomb out of finals and he reconsiders his level of happiness 😁

Or they win it & he decides to move onto a new challenge. I'm sure there's a certain jumper number we can keep vacant for him

• Clap 2

1 hour ago, DeeSpencer said:

Grand final:

Cox 67% Cameron 59% (Mihocek 92%, Frampton 82%)

Prelim

Cox 71% Cameron 70% (McStay injured 66%, Mihocek 94%)

Qualifying final (when they had their best side available for the full game time)

Cox 67% Cameron 52% subbed (McStay, Mihocek both 88%)

Aside from 1% against the Giants (which was probably when McStay was down injured) they never played 4 talls on the ground at the same time. And when they did play a ruck in the forward line it was generally Cox filling in for Frampton in the grand final, covering McStay's injury in the prelim or briefly for McStay/Mihocek to have a breather.

We tried sitting Gawn/Grundy on the bench for longer periods or forward line and neither of them liked it. And I doubt that will ever change for Max, especially if the rotation is with Peter Wright who will have no desire to ruck for large parts of the game.

JVR should get there with time but I don't see him on the McStay level of athleticism just yet and definitely nowhere close to Mihocek who is just a freakish work horse who goes hard for 90% game time at CHF (or did for years until injury this year). Unless you're Nick Riewoldt that's a job for a 24/25+ year old not a kid who will still only be 22 next year.

If they really do think JVR is ready to play CHF then maybe a Peter Wright level lump at FF/Ruck would work, but there's still a matter of the other tall forward needing some agility and ground game (much like the way Jamarra fits in between Naughton and Darcy) and I'm not convinced that will be Jeffo or anyone else on the list any time soon.

I'd go hard for a genuine answer like Waterman and leave JVR as the back up ruck for the next couple of years or just keep experimenting with mobile ruck/forwards and try to find a Chol rather than a Fullarton. Wright would be a distant 3rd choice if there's nothing else available and the price is very right.

That wasn't your original point.

Both Mason Cox and Darcy Cameron are bigger lumps then Peter Wright and still got the job done in the grand final. You don't need to be quick or nimble to do what they were able to do.

How you can say that Mason Cox is a better player and more efficient up forward then Peter Wright is laughable.. the stats say otherwise.

• Like 3
  • Thinking 1

6 hours ago, Binmans PA said:

Price dependent of course, but the more I think about recruiting Peter Wright, the more I like it.

It solves our second ruck problem, it also gives JVR and Turner an older, bigger foil, and releases Petty back to defence or pushes Turner out.

ANB Wright Trac

Kozzy JVR Fritta

With Turner, Spargo and Chandler (and McAdam?) to take the other one or two spots.

That's got a good mix to it. Wright the only one not great at ground level, and Fritta needs to lift his game defensively, but otherwise you've got 4 guys that like to swarm at ground level.

If we can bring in Houston and/or Cumming, *and* keep our 2024 first rounder, it would be a dream trade and draft period IMO.

We should've gone hard for Peter Wright when he first left the Suns. I would definitely grab him as an interim backup/2nd ruck who can play key forward until we can develop Max's successor.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

We should've gone hard for Peter Wright when he first left the Suns. I would definitely grab him as an interim backup/2nd ruck who can play key forward until we can develop Max's successor.

Peter Wright is weak as [censored].  That’s why he couldn’t get a game at Suns and now at Essendon. 

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, DistrACTION Jackson said:

I think we need to find a genuine lockdown defender for the smalls to release McVee. Playing half back and some mid time is fine for him and that's what Sheezel and Daicos do.

We need another Hibbo 

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Demons11 said:

Peter Wright is weak as [censored].  That’s why he couldn’t get a game at Suns and now at Essendon. 

Why is “wet paper bag” censored? 

Strange!! 

🤨🤓😳😆

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

That wasn't your original point.

Both Mason Cox and Darcy Cameron are bigger lumps then Peter Wright and still got the job done in the grand final. You don't need to be quick or nimble to do what they were able to do.

How you can say that Mason Cox is a better player and more efficient up forward then Peter Wright is laughable.. the stats say otherwise.

Mason Cox played 26% TOG in the forward line in the grand final.

If Peter Wright was a capable and willing ruck and was happy to play just 26% time forward I’d be fine with him. He isn’t, he’s a reluctant ruck who plays best as a full forward. 

We need someone who compliments JVR and hopefully Jeffo. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chook fowler said:

I see Tarryn Thomas may be given a life line from the Saints. That’s despicable. If it was us I would not renew my membership.

it's pretty putrid, i hope every single supporter of every club boo's him.

• Like 3