Time for a Change….Don’t wait another 2 years…

3 hours ago, KingDingAling said:

That would be akin to appointing a ruckman as a forward line coach. 

I know people like to bang on about this but it wouldn't matter who the coach was when you have only 2 (Fritsch & Kozy) AFL level forwards on the list & 1 (JVR) in development.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rjay said:

I know people like to bang on about this but it wouldn't matter who the coach was when you have only 2 (Fritsch & Kozy) AFL level forwards on the list & 1 (JVR) in development.

I reckon it could be argued it actually matters the MOST who's coaching when the cupboard's a tad bare. 

You might need to get inventive and recast the runes.  Now if this is done it invariably goes one of two ways. 

The fall back position is to understand what IS working, if anything and then redesign around this.

Almost the Footy version of Flight of the Phoenix.

The truly baffling thing for me is Goodwin was actually quite maverick, inventive and left field in his earlier days.

Simon.... go find that bloke.

Edited by beelzebub
  • Like 2

My grave concern is the spiralling capitulations are only the beginning.

Our list is pretty shot to pieces atm.

We're looking at No Trac, No Lever, an under par May, Viney and Oliver.  Fritta seems to pick and choose.  Roo needs to be helped as he'll get manoevered out of tge game. About a dozen others who are not of this caliber...and also playing magoo quality footy...  and a cpl who i just have no idea why they're playing at all.   Other than the obvious.... we're running short .

Very few capable of flying the flag. 

Right at this current juncture we are at the edge of an abyss. 

Any one who thinks this season isnt already in the bin is in for a torrid few months.

A fighter can take only so much before the canvas is his home.

The situation im affraid will only get worse before any show of improving.....and that's an IF !!

This is painful to watch, can only imagine what it must be like for some playing.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Binmans PA said:

To be fair, Collingwood's system enables them to be a bit plug and play, but they were lucky our goalkicking was so abhorrent today.

Problem is our goal kicking is abhorrent more often than not.

• Like 2

We have had a very brief window of success and we have underachieved and it seems obvious that window has closed. Obvious deficits in our list have not been addressed. Key forwards, ruck support and midfield depth are glaring weaknesses. The forwards/rucks we have recruited are uncompetitive and unphysical- Schache, Fullarton, Jefferson for example.  We could not keep hold of Jackson and completely mismanaged Grundy (who will be a premiership ruckman in 2024). Midfield- Billing’s, Hunter and?…..who have we recruited as tough hard fast or skilful midfielders? We’ve left it all to Oliver who is underperforming, Petracca who looks exhausted by the load and Viney who is at the end. Sparrow is mediocre and we couldn’t hold onto Jordon, Bedford and Hermes who at least provided support. Jordon will be a premiership midfielder in 2024! 
i could go on forever. Where is the development of our young players? Overall we are not physical enough, have no forwards that consistently kick goals, have no ruck support for Max, are not fast enough and have poor delivery by foot and hand. Add to this rhe game plan, whatever it is, does not work and the team looks unmotivated and disillusioned. And I haven’t even mentioned all the co start rumours and off field issues…

• Like 9
  • Clap 3

Definitely some parallels with our 2021 flag and West Coast's 2018 flag.

West Coast obviously won the flag in 2018, had two solid home and away seasons (2019 and 2020) and a 1-2 finals record (compared to our 0-4 finals record), started 2021 well but faded badly in losing 6 of their last 8 games to miss the finals.

Once West Coast realised the flag window had shut in 2021/2022 they completely fell off the map and put in historically bad performances, albeit with a lot of injuries.

I'm not saying we're going to be the next West Coast circa 2022-2023 in the coming years, but their 3 years following their flag were eerily similar to ours3 years following our flag.

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

2 hours ago, rjay said:

And who do the Pies have on their list? Krueger? Played his 1st game in 2 years. The forwards are not the issue. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thinking 1

MELBOURNE premiership coach Simon Goodwin will guide the Demons until at least the end of 2026 after signing a two-year contract extension.

I thought he was contracted through to the end of 2027, so I guess there is a bit of wriggle room to sack him at year's end if he can't get a response from his players. 

Ratten was extended for 2 more years during the 2022 season, but was sacked at the end of 2022. So there is an absolute recent precedence.

However, can anyone imagine Pert and/or Roffey sacking Goodwin after the bond those three have clearly formed from the 2021 flag. Won't happen. 

With all the off field dramas, Oliver clearly underdone and Petty "just happy to be on an AFL list" no mention, of being happy to be at Melbourne, this season was destined to go pear shaped, I just hope we can put in some decent performances for the rest of the year, show some heart and a it of fight. Some changes need to be made at seasons end, a fresh start wouldn't go astray but I can't see the board sacking Goodwin before his contract is out.

Edited by danielE288
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, KingDingAling said:

That would be akin to appointing a ruckman as a forward line coach. 

Exactly the case with Stafford🤮

• Clap 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Vomit 1

54 minutes ago, praha said:

Goodwin should be given a chance to right this ship. But the walls are closing in.

I would give him rest of the season to right the SS Demons. Its one thing to lose games and still be competitive but the Freo and Collongwood games were far from that. Has he lost some of the playing group? 

Yesterday, the only realy positives were Jacob van Rooyen, who may now be coming of age as a forward and ANB who did a real number on Nick Daicos, impressive effort. After Trac copped it in the ribs I knew there was very little hope the Dees could beat the Pies yesterday.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, picket fence said:

Exactly the case with Stafford🤮

He's been coaching at the club since 2013 and forward coach since nov 2020.

One good year in 4. We've been completely disfunctional the other 3.

The pies did alright with a depleted forward line yesterday.

• Like 3

Must say it is definitely time for a whole review of the coaching department, hard questions need to be asked and moves made as required.

I must say this whole site is a very sad place to be at the moment.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rjay said:

OK, but who takes the blame for the shortfall?

5 minutes ago, Abyssal said:

OK, but who takes the blame for the shortfall?

I would say it's a list issue.

Some of our own making and some of the AFL equalisation measures.

Also the Brayshaw and Smith situations haven't helped.

Edited by rjay
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Supreme_Demon said:

I wouldn't blame Jason Taylor at all. He has been a brilliant recruiting manager for the Demons. He definitely might need some help though. 

Other than Van Rooyen, who has he brought in over the past four years who has improved the list?

Bowey started well, but has regressed significantly. Windsor should be okay, but was arguably a reach at pick 7. The rest look plain ordinary. 

Taylor is dining out on the successes of a decade ago and a change is definitely required. 

1 hour ago, Fork 'em said:

Problem is our goal kicking is abhorrent more often than not.

A graphic on On the Couch showed where we had our shots at goal from .

No prizes for guessing the left hand fwd pocket was around 75% of shots.

Is it any wonder we miss goals from there? Its 2019 all over again.

And the Pies while they had a few wide shots managed to nail them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, praha said:

Goodwin should be given a chance to right this ship. But the walls are closing in.

Praha ..in all seriousness hasnt this been what he's supposed to have been doing all along ? 

All a bit....fool me once shame on you, fool me twice ..... 

If there were ever a time to play meat and 3 veg accountable footy.... now might be it.

That said it's a bit like the cast  has been hit with a "bug" and the understudies need to step up.  Just set the tasks at 'possible' and see what some have... 

Cant be much worse.

As to Goody.... tic toc surely ? 

6 hours ago, bing181 said:

Thank god some of the posters here are nowhere near the football department. 

Yes that’s the footy department that 

wins inside 50s count for 3 years as a team but has constant “forward of centre” issues with scoring and conversions and says we are working on it 

uses James Jordon as a sub for 11 times in a season and refuses to give him game time and queries why he departs when his contract expires 

recruits Grundy and after 9 weeks says that’s enough, experiment over 

recruits Shane McAdam as an injury riddled 28 year old after 50 games in 8 years

recruits Hunter and Billings as ineffective,butter like, small non physical players to assist the salary dump from other clubs 

signs Laurie up for a 2yr extension as he shows nothing for 3 years and is way off becoming a league player 

alienates Tomlinson by playing him for one game, he plays well and gets dropped whilst others have 6-7 weeks of poor form and stay in 

alienates Woey jnr by playing him as a sub for 5/6 weeks and then dropping him whilst others are worse and keep getting games (Chandler, Billings, Hunter)

pushes Tom Sparrow up as a next gen midfielder but his skills and ballhandling and run is deteriorating

Pursues Petty as a key forward despite him being a premiership key defender 

Turning young Turner from a competent defender into a flawed forward option 

Keeping an aged Ben Brown on one leg and a dodgy back for another year 

Thank god we don’t have a voice at the footy department!!!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Clap 2
  • Sad 1

Without expecting anything to change,  I cancelled my automatic renewal for 2025.  Will possibly renew but not  until Feb or march     but  it was a statement to say   I am not happy about the last few weeks.  I will also email the CEO etc.

There did not need to be blood on the field,  but who is your team mate Maynard the junk yard dog, or Gus. 

seriously, that was a mistake yesterday, to smile and laugh 

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

13 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

So what would you do Dry? Sit Quietly for 2 years with your fingers crossed?

Stay calm for a start, there is no doubt changes will occur at years end in both footy dept. personal and playing list.

I, for one would have held Grundy to his contract, also would have tried to coax BBB into retirement.

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

I am seriously scared of how bad we could be in 2 years if something isn't done to improve our crop of younger players and plug some glaring gaps we have in development. This is starting to look so grim.

• Like 2
  • Clap 1