Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POSTGAME: Rd 01 vs Western Bulldogs

19 hours ago, Gawndy the Great said:

What was the whole May getting into his face? Felt  more than just a bit of banter.

Yeah I noticed that too. Not to fan the flames, but it was reported that Harmes was at Entrecôte that night so maybe there’s some tension there.

Edited by At the break of Gawn
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Salems Lot said:

They awarded him a blocking free early doors which seemed to send a message to the opposition

That might be so but Max started to change the angles which did not leave him flat-footed, he normally likes to engage contact and use his strength, Grundy took that away, he has trouble with guys that directly jumps into him, as for the ruck rules they are a disgrace and a blight on the game all this grappling and holding is not ruckwork time for the AFL to changes that rule and stop it.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, demon3165 said:

That might be so but Max started to change the angles which did not leave him flat-footed, he normally likes to engage contact and use his strength, Grundy took that away, he has trouble with guys that directly jumps into him, as for the ruck rules they are a disgrace and a blight on the game all this grappling and holding is not ruckwork time for the AFL to changes that rule and stop it.

Agree. What Grundy is doing is so ugly. A blight on the game

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Deemania since 56 said:

It meant that the 'team' began to anticipate, make space, find space, provide good alternatives; McV did kick well, too, looking for links within a potential, longer chain.

Best exponent of Goal to Goal  chances MFC have ahead of them for the next ten years.

• Like 3

Impressed with BBB’s mobility. Shades of 2021. At one stage in the third quarter he was deep in the back pocket hustling the ball over the boundary line. No one seemed to notice. 

Edited by John Crow Batty
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Fat Tony said:

TMac played a solid game and is faster than Tomlinson and better at competing for the high ball.

I know Tomlinson always smashes the 2km time trial, would have thought he was faster than TMac? Unless TMac has a better initial burst of speed. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, At the break of Gawn said:

Yeah I noticed that too. Not to fan the flames, but it was reported that Harmes was at Entrecôte that night so maybe there’s some tension there.

Wasn't this because Harmes headbutted May (for which many on social media have said he is a chance of being suspended)? I haven't seen any clip but it's been Tweeted heaps.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Demonstone said:

Wouldn't it be 69?  It's a number that just rolls off the tongue.  (Maybe 49 was just a typo)

22 in 2021 and 2022 plus 23 last year plus two this year.

🤣

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

Wasn't this because Harmes headbutted May (for which many on social media have said he is a chance of being suspended)? I haven't seen any clip but it's been Tweeted heaps.

I only saw it as it happened, but Harmes definitely leans in and hits May on the chin. Still haven’t seen a replay but to the naked eye, it did look like he head butted him. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, 640MD said:

I did think that Jones was going to spoil our attacks he played really well.

i do like Windsor, one amazing play, took a mark but was blocked from playing on, 

handballed I think to Clarry, rolled around the opposite way and ran forward to receive back the ball and run into the clear for a kick into our F50. 
amazing speed understanding balance and awareness for a 2 game player. 

He absolutely looks a player

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, roy11 said:

I know Tomlinson always smashes the 2km time trial, would have thought he was faster than TMac? Unless TMac has a better initial burst of speed. 

Tommo and TMac were in the top 3 with Nibbler. They are similar in aerobic capacity with Tommo just shading him

• Like 3

Tmac and Ben Brown were great, so happy to see them playing well, made a world of difference to the whole team.  That team worked and would love to see it stay similar but interested to know what happens when other forwards become available.  If Ben Brown can be rested/managed properly I'd love it if he can play some great games through the year without getting hurt.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

7 hours ago, Kick_It_To_Pickett said:

Having just watched the replay, does anyone else think the Foxtel cameras look weird and blurry ? I thought the quality of the cameras were awful. It only looks good when it’s close up. Whatever they’ve tried to implement looks shocking for AFL 

I thought it was only me.......I have noticed the NRL always looks better in HD and 4K.  On another note, I'm enjoying the flying camera this year. 

• Like 1

Missed the game with commitments, although I was getting fed score updates after half time, so knew the score when watching the replay.

Liked the quicker ball movement off defensive rebound and more corridor focus allowing for better F50 entries.

Highlight of the entire game/after game for me was Oliver’s smile when running off to the ovation and how open and happy he seemed in the interview.  Forget the result it was great to see him looking like he was enjoying his footy again and hopefully happy off field.

1 win, 1 loss and it will take a few more games for us and others to find real form and we realise where teams are at.  Onto next week 

• Like 8

26 minutes ago, DeeSince73 said:

I thought it was only me.......I have noticed the NRL always looks better in HD and 4K.  On another note, I'm enjoying the flying camera this year. 

Definitely reduced on standard HD now that 4K is in (and requires additional $$). The 4K native recording will be stepped down for standard usage (all in real time with a ~10s delay is pretty amazing to be fair) but is now worse than the native HD from previous years, based on our initial eyeballing. The question now is does one pay for the 4K. I wouldnt mind having a look at it in action first. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jnrmac said:

Nice bit of revisionism here.

In 2018 we had Frost and your love child OMac. We were the number 1 team for beings scored against when the ball went inside 50.

Blind Freddie knew we could never compete for a long period with those two as our key pillars.

Sorry Jnr, not sure i follow.

What history did i revise?

You are correct that we had issues defensively - both in terms of personnel and system in 2018.

My love child omac was preferred ahead of Lynden Dunn back in 2016 because unlike Dunn, Omac COULD play in a zone system and play the role the coach asked him to (Roos was coach, but goody was already working on implementing his zone defence system - which goes to my point about the kudos he deserves). 

Dunn couldn't - or wouldn't - adjust his game and just wanted to be a man on man defender and so we stopped playing him (much to the angst of many on here).

It's no coincidence ahead of Goody's first year as senior coach (2017) we shipped Dunn to the Pies (where he was happy being an old school one on one defender playing in an old school one on one defensive system).

In 2018 Goody was still developing his zone and all team defensive system. 

Frost continually pulled the defensive grid out of shape by running up the ground and doing random Frost stuff. Frost ball doesn't work in a zone defence, or at least not the one Goody designed. And so he was shipped too (in 2019).

Goody, needing a quality interceptor for his system to work targeted Lever, trading him in at the end of his first season as senior coach (2017).

Unfortunately, in the year you reference, 2018, Lever did his ACL half way through the year, and could only manage 8 games in 2019. 

You'll get no argument from me that Petty, who we picked up in the 2017 draft was by 2021 a better option than Omac.

Petts looked like a star from the get go. But Omac was at the dees until the end of 2020 and played an important role in the evolution of the defensive system that Goody had started developing way back in 2016.

As i said goody made it his number one priority to build an elite defensive system - a project that took 5 years, and yes the right personnel.  

And a key part of his strategy was using up A LOT of capital to bring in two A grade defenders in May and Lever.

(by the by, on demonland there were many posters who argued we pulled the wrong rein with lever and paid overs/too much).

Where's the revision? 

Edited by binman
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Bombay Airconditioning said:

What pleased me most about the win was the way we played / tried to play. Although not perfect at times ie wrong option, poor disposal, too slow moving the ball, we played a game style that can take us deep into September.

Not a fan of JVR in the ruck, rucking inside fwd 50 is one thing but not lining up at centre bounces.

Vintage BBB & TMac, Chandler firing again, Oliver getting ready to explode.

Thought we had our smalls in better positions today at times but little things like Kosi flying for a mark then no one at ground level when the ball spills. 

Not getting carried away, good win but a few things to work on.

The last mark Ben brown took I saw kozzy run in and thought he was going to have another spoiled Speccy attempt but he actually ran to the potential fall of the ball. In the end brown took it but I loved how he played the percentages. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

He absolutely looks a player

I hope Goodwin can use him for his noticeable skill set, he is definitely a driver both offensively and defensively out on our flanks. Genuine pace is gradually building across the team. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, roy11 said:

- would reduce the amount of long bombs to Kozzy by himself - they must really want him to win mark of the year 🤣

This was a great game and saw our stars back firing but ffs can we please shelve this one.

It never works, he never holds them and he just ends up out of a contest that he needs to be in.

Edited by Stretch Johnson
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, John Crow Batty said:

Impressed with BBB’s mobility. Shades of 2021. At one stage in the third quarter he was deep in the back pocket hustling the ball over the boundary line. No one seemed to notice. 

He was in the back pocket as part of his turning circle after a lead from FF

🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

2 hours ago, John Crow Batty said:

I noticed JCB

• Like 1