• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Harrison Petty

Demonland

On 01/04/2024 at 15:53, jnrmac said:

Adelaide screwed us to the wall for Lever

IF he goes it would be nice to return the favour.

Unforgettably nice outcome.

• Like 2

Genuinely confused how any of our forwards should get any criticism this week. We had no connection or semblance of ball movement but we expect Petty to be the difference, makes no sense.

• Like 12

2 hours ago, Dingo said:

Cornes said last week that he thought Adelaide was going to offer 2 first round picks for Petty.

And after the defeat against the Lions , he said Petty was not worth it !

...because every AFL team bases their decisions on 1 or 2 games.

Cornes is paid to stir and he's good at it.

If he was a list manager his tune would be a lot different.

Taking a long term view is not a media strong suit.

Edited by rjay
  • Like 5

Petty is a reasonable back man. He isn’t much chop as a forward though. For starters, he is a below average kick. In addition, he isn’t exactly clunking the footy. He’s a poor man’s TMAC. However, he is more of a key down back than TMAC was, and we will need that when May is gone. 

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 3
  • Thinking 3
  • Angry 1

36 minutes ago, Dingo said:

Please remind me : when did H.P. Injure himself last year ? 

And what was the injury? Foot?

Round 21, August 6, 2023. Injured foot when it caught on the turf and bent back under him while being tackled from behind.  It was at that [censored] ground down in Tassie where Tommo did his ACL in 2021.

Edited by gs77
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, KingDingAling said:

Petty is a reasonable back man. He isn’t much chop as a forward though. For starters, he is a below average kick. In addition, he isn’t exactly clunking the footy. He’s a poor man’s TMAC. However, he is more of a key down back than TMAC was, and we will need that when May is gone. 

Characterising Petty as a below average kick is somewhat unfair. 

His scoring returns are: 

• 2019: 6 goals, 5 behinds;
  • 2022: 1 goal, 0 behinds;
  • 2023: 12 goals, 1 behind;
  • 2024: 1 goal, 4 behinds. 

His shot at goal accuracy for his career is, currently, 55.6% which places him into the 'average' category (cf. Fritsch, who is going at 56.9% for his career and has a ranking of 'above average'). Interestingly, McDonald is going at 65.87% goal accuracy (166 goals, 86 behinds). Your observations about the TMac and Petty comparison could well and truly be correct, but we're comparing two very different bodies of work with reference to games played forward. 

Goal outputs for Petty / Fritsch* are as follows:

• Petty: 0.3 per game (below average);
  • Fritsch: 1.7 per game (above average).

Personally, I do feel Petty's ability to play forward in an ongoing and significant manner (i.e., as our primary KPF) are somewhat overstated and his forward-craft has been magnified by the Richmond game where he went 6 straight. Noting the next week he kicked another two straight against North before going off after halftime with the Lisfranc. His other results for 2023 were: 

• Round 4, Sydney: 1 goal;
  • Round 6, Richmond: 1 goal, 1 behind;
  • Round 9, Hawthorn: 2 goals. 

(Note: I am unable to recall if Petty started as a forward in all those games in 2023 - others may be able to shed light on that facet). 

I think he's got some great attributes, especially his strength at marking. But I think the jury is still out on whether he's going to be the forward many have hoped for. At the current stage I'd agree he's more suited to a backline role, though then we get into the issue of the 'over-supply' of backman that we seem to have. 

*AFL.com.au stats for McDonald omitted, as he is now classified as a backman which skew his goals per game ranking.

Edited by BLWNBA
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 6

8 hours ago, BLWNBA said:

Characterising Petty as a below average kick is somewhat unfair. 

His scoring returns are: 

• 2019: 6 goals, 5 behinds;
  • 2022: 1 goal, 0 behinds;
  • 2023: 12 goals, 1 behind;
  • 2024: 1 goal, 4 behinds. 

His shot at goal accuracy for his career is, currently, 55.6% which places him into the 'average' category (cf. Fritsch, who is going at 56.9% for his career and has a ranking of 'above average'). Interestingly, McDonald is going at 65.87% goal accuracy (166 goals, 86 behinds). Your observations about the TMac and Petty comparison could well and truly be correct, but we're comparing two very different bodies of work with reference to games played forward. 

Goal outputs for Petty / Fritsch* are as follows:

• Petty: 0.3 per game (below average);
  • Fritsch: 1.7 per game (above average).

Personally, I do feel Petty's ability to play forward in an ongoing and significant manner (i.e., as our primary KPF) are somewhat overstated and his forward-craft has been magnified by the Richmond game where he went 6 straight. Noting the next week he kicked another two straight against North before going off after halftime with the Lisfranc. His other results for 2023 were: 

• Round 4, Sydney: 1 goal;
  • Round 6, Richmond: 1 goal, 1 behind;
  • Round 9, Hawthorn: 2 goals. 

(Note: I am unable to recall if Petty started as a forward in all those games in 2023 - others may be able to shed light on that facet). 

I think he's got some great attributes, especially his strength at marking. But I think the jury is still out on whether he's going to be the forward many have hoped for. At the current stage I'd agree he's more suited to a backline role, though then we get into the issue of the 'over-supply' of backman that we seem to have. 

*AFL.com.au stats for McDonald omitted, as he is now classified as a backman which skew his goals per game ranking.

He also went off just before half time in the Round 9 game versus Hawthorn with a toe injury (he has bad luck with his feet!). He'd had six marks and 2 goals in the first half before getting injured. The commentators were lamenting that he just started to look like he understood where to lead and what to do before going down. He returned to the backline after he came back into the side (although he was subbed in 2-3 games with a range of injuries), and was then moved forward against Richmond in Round 20.

I'm confident that if he is given a clean run at 8-10 games as a forward without injury, within a few rounds he'll be performing more consistently. I think he can average 1.5 goals a game and 6-8 marks a game which would be great given our other forward talent.

• Like 6

20 hours ago, KingDingAling said:

He’s ’reasonable’ as a backman. Then how is he going to replace May?

Petty is a good kick for goal. He is also a good mark - that’s what makes him a ‘reasonable’ defender…

‘Poor man’s TMac'… - I will just leave that, I assume you are just angry and afraid.

We don’t have the luxury of not playing Petty forward. And he shows good signs but we need to commit to it or forget about it. We also need to remember that he had no pre-season and we hope he is one of those players that gets better with match fitness.

This is where we are at.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

On 13/04/2024 at 20:09, Gorgoroth said:

Petty looks six weeks off it and I don’t blame him, I think we rushed him back. But he doesn’t seem to be marking the pill, that’s slightly worry8ng, he was always such a good mark.

Ya got that right, got a game on ZERO, Thats right Zero possesions at casey a few weeks ago! Ludicrous selection!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

13 hours ago, rpfc said:

He’s ’reasonable’ as a backman. Then how is he going to replace May?

Petty is a good kick for goal. He is also a good mark - that’s what makes him a ‘reasonable’ defender…

‘Poor man’s TMac'… - I will just leave that, I assume you are just angry and afraid.

We don’t have the luxury of not playing Petty forward. And he shows good signs but we need to commit to it or forget about it. We also need to remember that he had no pre-season and we hope he is one of those players that gets better with match fitness.

This is where we are at.

The issue now is we have Salem and Bowey out so our backline doesn’t seem as sturdy. TMac back means you can’t put Petty back without benching TMac. Petty forward is a must at this stage. If we’re going to evolve our game into a more attacking one we have to kick 80 points plus each week. We can’t do that without Petty kicking some goals. I see BBB as a stop gap until this happens. BBB offers nothing defensively and when you add Fritsch, JVR and Petty to that we’re getting smashed on defensive turnovers. Personally I think we’re waiting and planning for a forward half that contains Petty, JVR, Fritsch, ANB, Pickett, Chandler and McAdam. Then if TMac goes down you can push Petty back and consider giving Fullarton a run. I’m not sure he’s AFL material but let’s wait and see before passing that judgement. All in all I think we’re really hoping McAdam can string 15 games together. Either that or Melksham comes in. We can’t afford injuries atm.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Stu said:

He also went off just before half time in the Round 9 game versus Hawthorn with a toe injury (he has bad luck with his feet!). He'd had six marks and 2 goals in the first half before getting injured. The commentators were lamenting that he just started to look like he understood where to lead and what to do before going down. He returned to the backline after he came back into the side (although he was subbed in 2-3 games with a range of injuries), and was then moved forward against Richmond in Round 20.

I'm confident that if he is given a clean run at 8-10 games as a forward without injury, within a few rounds he'll be performing more consistently. I think he can average 1.5 goals a game and 6-8 marks a game which would be great given our other forward talent.

I think he will give us more than one and half goals a game. I can see him contributing at least 2.

He's a solid mark and very athletic and as a forward provides a great target other than Max and Jvr. 6 to 8 marks would be excellent.

He had a shocker against the lions but there is some sordid history there. Plus the whole team was down on form and energy.

The guy hardly played last year and has not much of a pre season with injuries carrying into this year.

I think if he's injury free we will see why Crows have been offering so much. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The other unknown we potentially have up our sleeves is Turner. It appears the club is giving him forward time. Perhaps he’s what we have in mind to replace Petty should he leave or the offer is too good. If Turner could play forward it back and we can extract 2 to 20 picks from the Crows then it’s hello sailor. 

• Haha 1
  • Thinking 1

Petty will be okay. Will see improvement over the next few weeks, starting Anzac Eve. Coming back from a significant injury.

I don’t think we can play he and Brown together though. Our forwardline is too tall and we need Kossie and McAdam in there to provide connection. I’d give Brown a few weeks at VFL on limited time to get his knee right. 

• Like 2

I’ve always preferred Petty as a defender where, I believe, he had a very high ceiling.  It’s also why Adelaide wanted him.

At the moment, he’s not completely fit and, for the first time in his career, he’s very out of form.  Whether it’s lacking touch or just isn’t quite trusting his body yet, this will soon pass.

At the moment, with TMac playing out of his skin, he’s not needed down back.  But my hopes were and still are that Petty and Disco are ready made replacements when McDonald and (heaven forbid) May call it a day.

May’s retirement is more daunting to our list management than Gawn’s imho.  

• Like 3

I’d let Petty go for two first round picks in a heartbeat, would let him go for one first round draft pick.

l think Melbourne supporters over rare him, good 3rd tall back man & average  2nd tall forward.

Body language very average as well as physicality, obviously wants to go home

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 3

When he was a backman everyone was screaming for him to go up forward as we we were severely lacking in that area of the ground.

He usually clunks his marks really well and is coming off an injury.

Based on what I’ve seen over the years from Petts I still believe he will thrive up forward, we just need a little patience.

• Like 3

It's nice to see that Binman can suggest on the podcast that we should have cashed in without being completely attacked or called a Judas. 

I do worry about this foot, will know a lot more come mid year.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, layzie said:

It's nice to see that Binman can suggest on the podcast that we should have cashed in without being completely attacked or called a Judas. 

the problem being there wasn't a cash-in

the offer was mcadam and pick 14, which ended up as pick 19, from memory

petty is worth more than that

• Like 5

On 13/04/2024 at 21:54, rjay said:

He's a beautiful set shot but is lacking confidence this season, you can see it in his approach.

I just think he is lacking confidence in his body at the moment.

Get that right and he will be good to go, forward or back...

I agree "rjay".   
I read lips and body language pretty well and very closely watched their defenders appearing to heavily try to get inside his head when off the ball.   (Not just that mock crying taunt.)

I hope he gets a little help/advice so that becomes water off a ducks back to him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, layzie said:

Petty will come good if he gets some continuity at senior level this year. Simple as that.

• Like 4