• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Hot Future Forwards

tallstuey

Forwards- done to death I know.

BBB and T Mac great fellas (and thank-you) but their time is done. Gun forwards hard to draft

1) Could Petty, Joel Smith, JVR, Fritsch, Chandler and Kozzy combined form the basis of a successful forward line?

2) I have watched closeley when Bowey drifts forward. Great shot at goal, good crumbing, defensive forward skills excellent.  Is he worth trialling over pre-season as a forward pocket?

Edited by tallstuey
  • Like 3

1/ yes. Have we ever had them all fit and available together?

2/ worth a look early preseason. Certainly would contribute to forward pressure. 

• Like 2

our entire game plan is built around our defensive structure, which is based upon smart decision makers down back - may, lever, petty (although he may move forward permanently, replaced by disco turner), salem, mcvee, rivers, bowey

while i think there's merit in the latter two moving into the midfield, who is replacing them?

it's hard enough when you pull one jenga piece - e.g. petty - out, let alone one or two more

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, tallstuey said:

Forwards- done to death I know.

BBB and T Mac great fellas (and thank-you) but their time is done. Gun forwards hard to draft

1) Could Petty, Joel Smith, JVR, Fritsch, Chandler and Kozzy combined form the basis of a successful forward line?

2) I have watched closeley when Bowey drifts forward. Great shot at goal, good crumbing, defensive forward skills excellent.  Is he worth trialling over pre-season as a forward pocket?

How do we move on both T-Mac and BB when they are both contracted? 

• Sad 2

I think the big red flag on Petty is that he’s so far failed to hold up to consistent senior footy. He’s basically been available for selection for 60% of games since 2019.

We need to find 2 bigger bodies forward. 

• Like 7
  • Thinking 2

Agreed 'Gun forwards hard to draft' , in terms of out of contract on the horizon at this stage Logan McDonald, Ben King, Naughton, Ugle-Hagan are out of contract end of 2024.   Not saying any of them will go to Melbourne, but no doubt Geelong will pick one of them up for a bag of dirt and a pair of socks after one last year of Tom Hawkins. 

But Re: Point 1 - with some luck with fitness and maybe addition of McAdam I think our forward line will be fine for 2024. Especially if they find a suitable forward/ruck option. 

But sort of in line with @The heart beats true with some concerns re: Petty -  Lisfranc recovery timelines not always great. Wonder what the timeframe will be for H

• Like 2
  • Thinking 1

19 minutes ago, ErmieJones said:

How do we move on both T-Mac and BB when they are both contracted? 

BBB will retire under an agreed injury payout. TMac will be a useful VFL player next year and can be given a coaching assistant role. (Mentoring JVR and Jefferson for example). He smoothed out his existing entitlement by adding another year so in the overall scheme of things it's not costing us anything other than a list spot. With Duncan, Melksham BBB JJ etc leaving we have plenty of those

Edited by Diamond_Jim
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Diamond_Jim said:

BBB will retire under an agreed injury payout. TMac will be a useful VFL player next year and can be given a coaching assistant role. (Mentoring JVR and Jefferson for example).

Both would make sense! Obviously as long as BB agreed to it. Be interesting to see what happens.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tallstuey said:

we need at least 1 more high quality tall fwd

hard to get though 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Bowey is worth trialling as a midfielder for some class and dash.

Has traits similar to Zak Butters.

Ah grasshopper, that is something we do need at the moment we are a one paced midfield with similar way of playing we need some class on and speed on the outside.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, YearOfTheDees said:

No forward is going to save us if we keep bombing it long all the time, I'm guessing this is the game plan. Having said that when Petty was playing we did not bomb it long, Petty led out and we kicked to him. So I don't know if it's game plan or just forward not leading out. 

Well how did BBB get a majority of his goals at the roos from, that's right leading we don't play that way and tried to make him a pack mark, Jesus would have struggled to get a kick in our forward line the way it was delivered. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Clap 2

Just now, stinga said:

Does anybody else think Verrall can play the petty role down back so Petty can become permanent forward.

Verrall is 199cm, athletic and can take a mark.   I don't think he'll ever be tall enough for a ruck, other than as a secondary.

So you rule out Turner for the backline then ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Bowey is worth trialling as a midfielder for some class and dash.

Has traits similar to Zak Butters.

Agreed - one of those players who seems to have time on the ball. Also, having the defensive side to his game is a big plus as an offensive player. I wonder if he has enough tank for a wing position? Also in favour of giving Rivers more time in the middle.

• Like 1